Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,889 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:47 AM

Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria (37053 Views)

FRSC Reveals Real Cost Of Obtaining A Driver's Licence / Price Of Getting A Driver's License In Lagos / Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by vexxy(f): 8:52pm On Oct 13, 2005
What's the process for getting a driving license in Nigeria?

What are the conditions, such as minimum age, that need to be satisfied before the licenses are issued?

And what tests, if any, are administered to prospective drivers?

Thanks!
Re: Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by Greatpeter(m): 11:55pm On Oct 13, 2005
In nigeria, anything goes.
Even if you don't know how to drive just go to licensing office and pay up your money and in 4 or 5days you will get it.
It's five thousand naira for express.
I just did one last week.

No test is required.
But you suppose to go for eye test, blood group and driving test but we don't practice that here.
Re: Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by jogego(m): 12:32am On Oct 14, 2005
Who checks Drivers license in NIgeria? I have spent a period of up to 4 or 5 years driving in Lagos everyday without any driver's license. All you need is to settle the police and the dont even ask for your papers. If you do decide to collect it, all u need is a tout to get it for u. You dont need to do any test.
Re: Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by vexxy(f): 1:01am On Oct 14, 2005
so there is no age requirement?
Re: Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 3:20am On Oct 14, 2005
Nope. No age requirement no nothing. Just get a care and start driving. No insurrance?? No problem, NO lisence?? No problem.
Re: Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by nddy(m): 5:32am On Oct 14, 2005
@vexxy its called Naija, where do you think you are in ? US or Britain , hhaahahahah
Re: Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by abuguy64(m): 7:21am On Oct 14, 2005
Vexxy,dont be puzzled by the replies you've gotten so far. The laws about driving,licence,insurance etc are all there,but people tend to advoid them.This is because of the fustration,and delays you get when you want to go through the proper beaurocratic channels. People like us who do try,are laughed at by society and all. Yes,I do have a driving license,but did driving school etc.At then end I had to follow the crowd and get the license through someone I never met,and certainly did not undergo any test!!!
PEOPLE , this does not only occur in Nigeria oh!...Here in Pakistan,my International staff colleagues have gotten both Pakistani and International driving license without any driving tests-and it cost much less than in Nigeria!Anyway Pakistan and Nigeria are both termed to be the most corrupt nations in the world! grin
Re: Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by omotee(f): 10:23am On Oct 14, 2005
Let me start by saying that I got my driver's license before I even learnt how to drive! I'd just bought my car and getting a driver's license was just one of the 'to-dos' on my list. My driver's license was processed in three days and delivered to me at home. In Nigeria, our laws are made to be broken. It's become a habit that if the police ask some drivers for their driver's licenses, you need to see the incredulous looks on their faces.
I agree with the person who said anything goes goes ANYTHING DOES REALLY GO IN NAIJA!
Re: Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by layi(m): 1:20pm On Oct 14, 2005
There are rules. But just like everyother thing else. Protocols are not obeyed. Nigeria is lawless.
Re: Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by vexxy(f): 1:35pm On Oct 14, 2005
Thank you for the information, I appreciate it! cheesy
Re: Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by omon(m): 5:16pm On Oct 15, 2005
It should rather be that Nigerians are lawless, and it is funny how we flaunt the ability to break the law
Re: Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by pintos(m): 2:20am On Oct 16, 2005
Please this is not fair.
Which one una dey?
Dem no go respect our International license we dey use here again.
Re: Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by holyghost(m): 3:09am On Oct 16, 2005
@pitos tell the truth as it is
they all said it as it is and if the authority concerned do not want it. They should sit up and the trend will revise for the better,
@vexxy in fact its better you don't waset your money just keep Clean =N=20 note by you car, cos if you show you License, the police will ask Is that what my wife will use in cooking my food? but if you flash the cash, they will shout all cheeked and correct, madam carry go. even if blood is driping from your car hood.

yes when you want to obey the law in Nigeria you surffer shame, so do it the Nigerian way and move on after all what will be will be.

study real hard for GCE or Jamb go to the Centers you will see imbeciles and nincompoops, carrying expo and bribing their ways with 1000 naira and they come out with high scores and get the best Schools and join their types in cultism while you are still buying forms every other year to face the same thing.. worst of it .. if any action to stop them, it is done in a hurry which now affect you too. guess what... yes your are right the authority Just ban the center and withheld all result (instead of calling those with high score to come and re-write a fresh exams.

another area that bits me is the NPA (Nigerian Port Authority) importers are losing everything the have due to their(costoms) incompetence. they keep changing the rule every now and then size at random,
now look at this

Mr A took a loan from bank C to import at a high interest rate only for the goods to arrive 3 to 6month later and it will take our costoms 3-12 months to clear this shipment that is if they don't seize it due to one flimsy rule or document demand, eventually you bribe your goods out only to see that parts are missing due to what they call port rats(human looters)
now tell me how do you sell the remain scrap, so it is now and pay the bank loan and interest? boy you are in hot soup!!!
the bank will just sell your collateral and your gone to square zero if not dead.
Re: Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by vexxy(f): 3:30am On Oct 16, 2005
wow. Thank you for your answer.
Re: Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by WesleyanA(f): 6:59am On Oct 16, 2005
some cool police officers don't collect bribes but there are just a few of them.
Re: Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by Funsho(m): 2:29pm On Oct 16, 2005
Anyway, i dont think there is any hard process getting ur drivers licence...to some people, it is like "a year". If u get the right connections, there s no time wasting....
Re: Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by elcij(m): 5:46pm On Oct 16, 2005
i tried to do the test but the guy was like look you will wait 10 years to get your license just give me #1000 and I'll get it for you now. So I paid and next thing I know I have a commercial drivers license... apparently I took my driving test on a bedford lorry...
Re: Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by madam: 4:03pm On Oct 17, 2005
i beg leave pintos jo... what he is saying is true... mainwhile to get anything in this country na money...
Re: Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by Oracle(m): 1:30am On Oct 26, 2005
hey men the country's not that bad
why do u have to taint the image of naija like that
but the laxity towards the license stuff is not everywhere.
coz iv stayed in the north for some time and men u really need ur
license to be on the road with that car.
i had a personal experience well im not yet up to eighteen
but i drive and 1 day we were goin somwhere in Kebbi
(northern part of nigeria) and the road safety guys stop us.
They asked 4 my license, i was tryin to give an excuse men they seized the car keys.
i had to pay a fine b4 i was given the key. so itz not like that everywhere.
Re: Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by urdad: 10:07am On Nov 05, 2005
hey guyz i just had read some stuff about getting license in nigera ....one of my friend mentioned pakistan ..and called my country most corrupted..all i can say better watch ur mouth before u say anything..its not that easy mate..and its ur kind of ppl who try to corrupt our country and by the way i live in america..u can buy social security card on the streets for $20 howz dat like it?
Re: Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by layi(m): 10:23am On Nov 05, 2005
I see this as ur first post. Is that why you joined the forum? Then u got work to do.
Re: Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by ono(m): 11:25am On Dec 12, 2005
Na wah o, I'm new here..... I just bought a Honda Car and I did not know how to drive, I used to think that the procedure for getting a driving license in the country is stressful until now.....
Re: Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by layi(m): 11:47am On Dec 12, 2005
We go wash am o! grin grin
Re: Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by madam: 3:18pm On Dec 13, 2005
enjoyment galore... drive small, small
Re: Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by Seun(m): 2:43pm On Jul 16, 2006
I wonder how much of an effect this unorthodox driver licensing scheme has on the rate of road accidents.
Re: Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by Badman888(m): 3:30pm On Jul 16, 2006
pay N4500 and submit two passport to the office and u get it in 2weeks
Re: Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by waleleader(m): 10:04pm On Jul 16, 2006
Oracle:

hey men the country's not that bad
why do u have to taint the image of naija like that
but the laxity towards the license stuff is not everywhere.
you are so correct, there is more control on driving in the North.

if i remember quite well, you would be in serious trouble if the road safety corps caught you in Abuja without License and insurance. And the insurance is considerably expensive, i Only speak for Abuja.
Re: Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by vokalguy(m): 11:32pm On Jul 16, 2006
who needs 2 get a dl when i can drive and when d popo pull me over, i'll give him some green
Re: Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by JosBoy4Lif(m): 8:21am On Jul 18, 2006
Wale you are correct. Its not everywhere in Nigeria where enforcement is so laxidazy
If you where to encounter green boys (army men) for instance money would not buy you anything
Remember it is not just police who enforce the streets in Nigeria.
My advice to you is to collect all the necessary papers and particulars.
For it might be the difference between you spending a helluva time wid green boys,
But if it is police, just make sure you have a stash of twenty twenty naira notes in ur glove compartment
Re: Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by Badman888(m): 10:12am On Jul 18, 2006
the army have started collecting 20 20 naira, its shocking but thats whats begining to happen.
Re: Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by fabian(f): 12:03pm On Jul 19, 2006
took me 2 days which was too much time if you ask me,
Re: Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria by New(m): 1:36pm On Jul 21, 2006
I had to take a driving test before I got my license. Although that was about 20 years ago and you had to be 16yrs old.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Car Names Pronunciations. / Test Your Driving Skills With This Puzzle / Car With 3 Tyres Spotted In Sango Ogun State. Photos And Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.