Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,946 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:45 AM

Igbo Wars Against The British - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Wars Against The British (18138 Views)

Wars, Coups, Counter-coups Dominated My Time As Military Officer – Buhari / Meet The British Mps Who Want The UK To Support Biafra / Nnamdi Kanu: Copy Of The Petition Written By The British Mp, Harriet Harman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Wars Against The British by Remarkable: 5:05pm On May 02, 2015
zendy:

There's the saying that " Igbo eh nwe Eze". This means that " Igbos don't have kings" ( although the accurate translation is that Igbos never had and will never have a king). That's just the egalitarian nature of the Igbo man that he doesn't recognise anyone as his superior wherever he is. That's why the Igbos never had central form of authority unlike the Yoruba that had the Oyomesi and the Hausa that had the Sokoto caliphate. To this day, it still amazes an Igboman like me that a Yoruba man can prostrate on the floor to another human being bacause I know that someone will have to kill me before I can agree to do this. We Igbos have been fighting colonialism for a long time. We fought the authority of the British but failed,we fought the Northern dominated Nigerian army in Biafra and failed but I'm proud of my people for fighting where others ran away like cowards. When we win, we shall win big. Until then,we keep fighting

You got that right! and believe you me, that is why , or one of the reasons they keep crying about Igbos being ungrateful (lol... ) and always on NL you see them using that term "ungrateful" because Igbos refuse to bow to them... or prostrate as they would like... perhaps sing their praises, pretty much suck their you know what... problem is, their men are not real men and do not even have two balls in the sack....
(This is my opinion... to that particular mod. that is always waiting for me to even say "Shut up" to slam a ban on me. God dey watch you o!)
Re: Igbo Wars Against The British by OdenigboAroli(m): 6:55pm On May 02, 2015
Igbo enwe Eze simply means Igbo has no herd mentality and not that we don't have kings. In Igbo land every decision a king makes must undergo scrutiny unlike in some places where the kings word is the final.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Wars Against The British by ezeagu(m): 7:28pm On May 03, 2015

Jaja of Opobo was exiled by the British.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Wars Against The British by mercyville: 6:10pm On May 05, 2015
Every mammal is hairy including humans. Go pick up a biology book why don't you. Apes, chimpanzee, monkeys are known for their facial features. Only one tribe in Nigeria have people matching those features to the T. I'll give you one example. Say hello to your past president from the yoloba clan

[img]http://1.bp..com/-eJffJBS_-i8/UrKZdx1wcfI/AAAAAAAAs00/4GHZ_x8xlfk/s1600/advert.jpg[/img][/quote]

[sup][/sup]Multitudes of LOLZZZZ for the nice pix,but those monkeys are respectable beings and it is a common knowledge that they are superior to one and only tribe in Nigeria....the Ibo tribe....because they do not eat their kinds like the IBO TRIBE who eat their fellow humans...drink the water used to wash the dead(THIS IS A DELICACY FOR THEIR WOMEN)...It is a viral knowledge that they are the most devilish,ugliest,dirtiest,most foolish and hated tribe in the world or what would you call a CANNIBAL TRIBE?...somebody might say why did a part of Cameroon that was to stay in Nigeria decided to say no because of their closeness to the Ibos,Ikwerre would not want to BE CAUGHT IN THE SAME PIX WITH THEM and to be candid,I think why they are having this problem is because and only because of the cannibal DNA in their blood.
Re: Igbo Wars Against The British by ezeagu(m): 12:02am On Oct 02, 2015
Tried, but didn't.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Wars Against The British by ezeagu(m): 12:08am On Oct 02, 2015
Oh and this is the modified link on warfare in case you clicked the other dead link: http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2012/dn-nd/D2-230-2008-eng.pdf

1 Like

Re: Igbo Wars Against The British by ezeagu(m): 12:10am On Oct 02, 2015
[size=14pt]The Ibeku-Olokoro Expedition 1902 — Fight outside the town of Onor[/size]

The force consisted of one 75-millimetre gun, 2 maxims, 12 Europeans, 226 rank and file, and 232 carriers. The 226 men were composed of nine sections taken from various garrisons in the Aro country. The advanced guard, commanded by Captain Grayson, R.A.,79 which was the fighting portion of this small force, consisted of scouts, 3 ½ sections infantry, one 75-millimetre gun, and 1 maxim, or about 90 men. The scouts were under Lieutenant Macdonnell, D.S.O., an excellent officer of the permanent forces of Canada. 80 Half a mile out of the friendly town of Onor the road ran along a narrow causeway, about 100 yards in length, and with a deep swamp on either side; there was a small stream at the enemy’s end of it which had to be waded. Fire was opened on the scouts, the enemy disputing the passage of the stream from the opposite bank. The scouts kept the enemy employed while the75-millimetre and maxim were got into position. A heavy fire was then poured in, and before the enemy had recovered, the guns ceased fire and a section of the advanced guard dashed across, and extended out in the open 11 yam fields beyond. The enemy retired precipitately, having only been holding the water with scouts.

The path now ran up the face of a hill covered with plantations, and became a hollow road, with sides 15 to 20 feet high near the brow. A strong stockade closed the hollow road, and the scouts reported trenches on each side of it, filled with the enemy, just over the crest of the hill. Captain Grayson engaged the attention of the enemy in front, while he sent Lieut. Macdonnell with the bulk of the advanced guard round the enemy’s left through the plantations; these afforded very fair cover, but were easy to move through. Lieut. Macdonnell went well round, but was confronted by new trenches. He was able to creep up close to these unseen, owing to their being placed too far back from the crest of the hill. He cleared them with the bayonet, and cut the enemy’s line of retreat, who, being now pressed in front, evacuated his trenches and fled into the bush.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Wars Against The British by ezeagu(m): 12:30am On Oct 02, 2015
[size=14pt]Afikpo Expedition, 1902-1903[/size]

In Southern Nigeria the Afikpo country is open and undulating. During the expedition (1902-3) against these people, the force advanced some distance in square formation with the carriers in the centre. The bulk of the advanced guard and scouts were extended at one pace interval equally on each side of the main road, which was slightly raised above the surrounding plantations. A 75-millimetre gun was on the road, and at the front angles of the square were maxims. The carriers closed up and marched in a compact body in the centre with a front of thirty to forty yards. The carrier guards and rear guard protected the flanks and rear. Intact bodies of troops were held in readiness in the centre to reinforce any face requiring assistance. As the country was open and the enemy only possessed dane guns, and were not in the habit of charging with swords and spears, they were harmless if kept at a distance of two hundred yards from any face. Thousands of them hovered round the square and watched it from the tops of small hills as a deliberate advance was made against the chief stronghold of the country.

More on page 50 and 51: http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2012/dn-nd/D2-230-2008-eng.pdf

1 Like

Re: Igbo Wars Against The British by ayokellany: 12:51am On Oct 02, 2015
You can't blame a man for feeling good about himself or his tribe. It's in your blood so Kudos my Igbo people. It was the fear of war like this that necessitated the British hurriedly granting independence to Nigeria.
Re: Igbo Wars Against The British by ezeagu(m): 10:13am On Oct 02, 2015

1 Like

Re: Igbo Wars Against The British by omonnakoda: 7:14am On Oct 03, 2015
OdenigboAroli:
Igbo enwe Eze simply means Igbo has no herd mentality and not that we don't have kings. In Igbo land every decision a king makes must undergo scrutiny unlike in some places where the kings word is the final.
Eboes have the greatest herd mentality in Nigeria

Eboes now parrot the word ;zoo, masturbate, zoo must fall and other nonsense from daddy Nnamdi Kanu like zombies.Eboes believe Awolowo was the reason they lost the Biafra war. Eboes hate Awolowo.Eboes hate Yorubas.
Eboe swallow stereotypes about other ethnic groups eg Hausas have herd mentality(They do not, they are just more civilized than Eboes with a greater respect for order)etc . Eboes are the most prone to stereotype groups of people whether they are Ikwerre,Yorubas Hausas or even other Eboe tribes but Eboes have a great capacity for looking in the mirror and seeing something that just is not there. If you want to to know the truth about yourselves ask other Nigerians they know you best. Not the rubbish you keep telling yourselves
The biggest single flaw the Eboe has is self hate deriving from low self esteem. Th SYMPTOMS Overcompensatory behaviour and storytelling
Re: Igbo Wars Against The British by ezeagu(m): 11:16am On Oct 07, 2015
The person above is confused and doesn't really know what they're doing. So forgive them.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Wars Against The British by ezeagu(m): 11:17am On Oct 07, 2015
The person below is confused and doesn't really know what they're doing.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Wars Against The British by omonnakoda: 11:21am On Oct 07, 2015
Well who is really confused.Better edit it before people come.Referring to himself as confused Who is the person above the person @ 11.17

. Dotage is not a pleasant thing.
So how is the new Sanatorium? I hope they are treating you well
Re: Igbo Wars Against The British by ezeagu(m): 11:34am On Oct 07, 2015
Jaja short documentary: https://vimeo.com/12493658

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Wars Against The British by Nobody: 9:32pm On Oct 08, 2015
omonnakoda:
I think we should not use the word "war" so carelessly when all we are talking about is an episode of village unruliness or petulance.Such palavers or melees in the Ilo are not quite what we mean when we talk about wars . Please!!

@ least some tribes fight, Yoruba race wrote a letter to the white man, inviting them to come n colonize dem.
Re: Igbo Wars Against The British by meccuno: 9:44pm On Oct 08, 2015
liberty300:
yeap. That's why even in nigeria of today, when a Yoruba gets into a fight with an Igbo man, he makes a lot of noise to attract other Yorubas that may be in the distance so they may help him fight the one Igbo man...classic chimpanzee characteristics cos I saw it happen once on NaGeo wild
lolz grin
Re: Igbo Wars Against The British by patrick89(m): 10:28pm On Oct 08, 2015
Igbo people self, you have time ooh! Why are you guys arguing with cowards that were defeated by breastfeeding women from Dahomey? Yes women from Dahomey came and sacked yoruba men! #fact
Re: Igbo Wars Against The British by LoveMachine(m): 5:00pm On Oct 31, 2015
ezeagu 'Preciate the history lesson fam!

I came in here to learn and got more nonsense from random haters instead of getting my read on. What's wrong with us? Can't we have nice things? Why is everything always a fight? Where is the love?

All the same ezeagu thank you for this wonderful thread.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Wars Against The British by basilo101: 5:44pm On Oct 31, 2015
Nawao, yorubas cant argue with facts, they are always quick to turn every argument to insult competition wen they lack facts
Re: Igbo Wars Against The British by Kestolovee95(f): 5:59pm On Oct 31, 2015
Documented resistance against british slavery while yorubas were begging the british to come colonize and save them from pregnant skirt-wearing women from Dahomey. a dey laugh.
Re: Igbo Wars Against The British by Dbboy(m): 7:13pm On Oct 31, 2015
omonnakoda:
I think we should not use the word "war" so carelessly when all we are talking about is an episode of village unruliness or petulance.Such palavers or melees in the Ilo are not quite what we mean when we talk about wars . Please!!

go and check for the defination of war befoore you open your mouth.
Re: Igbo Wars Against The British by ezeagu(m): 10:37am On Nov 03, 2015
Dbboy:

go and check for the defination of war befoore you open your mouth.

Are you taking that one seriously.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Police Arrest 100 Pro-Biafran Supporters In Bayelsa / Malian Rebels Seen In Nigeria - Army Chief / TY Danjuma: "P&ID, Michael Quinn Stole My Idea"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.