Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,988 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:36 PM

Aba Dialects Of Igbo - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Aba Dialects Of Igbo (1391 Views)

The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Aba Dialects Of Igbo by CluelessGuy: 3:44pm On May 02, 2015
I can never find anything on Aba Igbo, all I ever find is that people say that it's the same as Owerri Igbo, which I don't think is true. So can anybody tell me the following phrases in the Aba dialect?

How are you?
What is your name?
Where are you from?
Thank you.

And any other common phrases that you may like to add.

Thank you!
Re: Aba Dialects Of Igbo by bigfrancis21: 4:23pm On May 02, 2015
CluelessGuy:
I can never find anything on Aba Igbo, all I ever find is that people say that it's the same as Owerri Igbo, which I don't think is true. So can anybody tell me the following phrases in the Aba dialect?

How are you?
What is your name?
Where are you from?
Thank you.

And any other common phrases that you may like to add.

Thank you!

Yes Aba Igbo is similar to Owerri Igbo in many respects.

How are you? Elee ka I mere?
What is your name? Elee aha gi?
Where are you from? I wu onye ebee?
Thank you. Imeela.

1 Like

Re: Aba Dialects Of Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 4:45pm On May 02, 2015
CluelessGuy, I want to presume that by 'Aba dialect' you mean the version of Igbo spoken by the urban citizens and not the dialect of the actual indigenous community, Aba la Ohazu. If that's the case, then trust those of us here when we say that the versions of Igbo spoken in Aba and Owerri urban centers are more or less the same.
Re: Aba Dialects Of Igbo by CluelessGuy: 4:58pm On May 02, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Yes Aba Igbo is similar to Owerri Igbo in many respects.

How are you? Elee ka I mere?
What is your name? Elee aha gi?
Where are you from? I wu onye ebee?
Thank you. Imeela.

Thank you!
Re: Aba Dialects Of Igbo by CluelessGuy: 4:59pm On May 02, 2015
ChinenyeN:
CluelessGuy, I want to presume that by 'Aba dialect' you mean the version of Igbo spoken by the urban citizens and not the dialect of the actual indigenous community, Aba la Ohazu. If that's the case, then trust those of us here when we say that there versions of Igbo spoken in Aba and Owerri urban centers are more or less the same.

Ahh, okay. What about the dialects spoken in the indigenous areas?
Re: Aba Dialects Of Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 3:11pm On May 03, 2015
The dialects spoken by the indigenous Owere (Owerri) and Aba la Ohazu (Aba) are markedly different from the respective urban standards. I'll use your list of phrases to illustrate.

How are you? (English)
Elee ka i mere? (Igbo Urban)
I me kpa ole? (Owere)
I nu ññaa? (Aba la Ohazu)

The distinction simply grows from this point on. After which, it becomes easy to spot an indigenous-speaker from a non-indigenous, urban speaker.

2 Likes

Re: Aba Dialects Of Igbo by CluelessGuy: 8:23pm On May 03, 2015
ChinenyeN:
The dialects spoken by the indigenous Owere (Owerri) and Aba la Ohazu (Aba) are markedly different from the respective urban standards. I'll use your list of phrases to illustrate.

How are you? (English)
Elee ka i mere? (Igbo Urban)
I me kpa ole? (Owere)
I nu ññaa? (Aba la Ohazu)

The distinction simply grows from this point on. After which, it becomes easy to spot an indigenous-speaker from a non-indigenous, urban speaker.

Thank you! I'm sorry, but how would those be pronounced? Especially the last one. As I said, I'm sorry if I'm asking for too much.
Re: Aba Dialects Of Igbo by Ihuomadinihu: 8:32pm On May 03, 2015
Owerri and Aba dialects may share the same structure but they are not similar.
Re: Aba Dialects Of Igbo by CluelessGuy: 9:13pm On May 03, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
Owerri and Aba dialects may share the same structure but they are not similar.

Can you show me the differences?
Re: Aba Dialects Of Igbo by Nobody: 3:26am On May 04, 2015
Echi gara aga. Tomorrow.
I love all these dialects.
Owerri is sweet, aba is even sweeter.

Oshi owu nini.

Sweet kiss

2 Likes

Re: Aba Dialects Of Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 2:54pm On May 04, 2015
CluelessGuy:
Thank you! I'm sorry, but how would those be pronounced? Especially the last one. As I said, I'm sorry if I'm asking for too much.

There's nothing wrong in asking questions. Our people like to say that an inquiring individual does not get lost. So far you seem genuinely interested in the knowledge, so I have no problem attempting to provide some answers.

Regarding the pronunciations, are you familiar with tone and diacritics? The language is tonal through and through, and we use diacritics to distinguish those tonal aspects.
Re: Aba Dialects Of Igbo by CluelessGuy: 3:16pm On May 04, 2015
ChinenyeN:

There's nothing wrong in asking questions. Our people like to say that an inquiring individual does not get lost. So far you seem genuinely interested in the knowledge, so I have no problem attempting to provide some answers.

Regarding the pronunciations, are you familiar with tone and diacritics? The language is tonal through and through we use diacritics to distinguish those tonal aspects.

No, I'm not familiar whatsoever. But that's good to know.
Re: Aba Dialects Of Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 4:52pm On May 04, 2015
In that case, I've attached an audio recording of the three sentences in the order of urban, Owere and Aba la Ohazu. I hope it helps.

2 Likes

Re: Aba Dialects Of Igbo by CluelessGuy: 6:15pm On May 04, 2015
ChinenyeN:
In that case, I've attached an audio recording of the three sentences in the order of urban, Owere and Aba la Ohazu. I hope it helps.

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Re: Aba Dialects Of Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 8:12pm On May 04, 2015
Actually, I want to make one correction. For the Owere, it is actually more conventional to say I ri kpa ole? as opposed to I me kpa ole?. So, in your mind, as you listen to the audio recording, simply interchange the me with ri.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Are The Ikwerre People Igbo Or Not? / Watch How A White Woman Embraced The Yoruba Culture And Became A Priestess / Video: Oni Of Ife Affirms Igbos Are The ''superior Race Of Wealth Discovery''

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.