Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,549 members, 7,801,544 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:52 PM

Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name (47155 Views)

Xenophobia: Protesters Dispersed By South African Police (Photos) / Man Who Mocked Michelle Obama's, Allegedly Suspended From His Job For 3 Weeks / 2013 Xenophobia Video In South African (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by tochukwuifeduba: 4:36pm On May 02, 2015
The group's existence underscores the deep-rooted tensions that erupted anew in Johannesburg and Durban this month when mobs of South African men hunted down immigrants, attacking them and destroying their homes and businesses.

At least seven people have been killed in the unrest, and thousands of immigrants -- mainly from Zimbabwe, Nigeria, Mozambique and elsewhere in Africa -- were forced to flee their homes and seek safety in makeshift camps.

"We saw this thing coming and that's why we formed this association," UNWISA chairwoman Lindwela Uche, 42, told AFP.

"If only they (the authorities) had listened to us... they would have known that there's a fire burning slowly and they would have seen how to tackle it."

The group has 100 members on its Facebook forum and also organises picnics, family soccer tournaments and demonstrations against the stigma they endure.

"Being married to a foreigner is very challenging," Lufuno Orji, a Johannesburg resources consultant whose husband is a Nigerian medical doctor, told AFP.

"You often spend your time defending yourself and then you defend your foreign husband for being himself."

Attitudes "are negative everywhere we go," said Thelma Okoro, 37, adding that even wearing traditional Nigerian dress on the street can attract barbed comments.

- Paying a high price -

Daily life for the wives, their husbands and their children includes battling criticism from neighbours, schools, government officials, health workers, taxi drivers and even the police.

Last year Uche's 13-year-old daughter returned from school complaining that her teacher had told her "not to bring that Nigerian mentality here" after she and classmates were noisy in class.

"We need to be protected, we need our children to be protected... and our husbands to be treated with dignity," said Uche, who has been married to her husband Cajethan Dennis for 17 years.

Okoro's eight-year-old daughter gets mocked by schoolmates over her name "Ngozi" which means "blessing" in Igbo but literally translates to "danger" in Zulu.

For Orji, her decision to marry Ogbonnaya has cost her dearly.

"Just before I got wed to my husband, I lost two very best friends of mine. They thought I was out of my mind," said Orji, who adds that her own family though were "ecstatic" at her choice of husband.

Some of UNWISA members have kept their maiden names because their husbands' name attract galling remarks.

Okoro, who has been married to Kenneth for 13 years, says she was told off by an official when she tried to apply for free government-issued houses in 2011.

"They told me that I was not entitled because I am married to a foreigner, and that if I wanted a house I must divorce the man first," she said.

She also cited taking her sick children to hospital, where "the nurses ask 'why are you giving these people residence papers' -- degrading and discrediting our choices".

The wives' club is now looking to widen its reach to South African women married to other foreign nationals after the recent anti-immigrant attacks highlighted many other women going through similar experiences.

One victim, Nokuthula Mabaso, last week told local media she was threatened with rape for dating her Zimbabwean boyfriend Elias Chauke.

"A group of Zulu-speaking men arrived and kicked down the door," she said.

"They asked me why I dated a foreigner when there were many South African men in the squatter camp and I replied that I love Elias. They then assaulted and robbed me.

"One of them threatened to rape us and was stopped by others."

The South African government has vowed to tackle xenophobic attacks, while human rights lawyers say women who are unfairly discriminated against should consider legal action.

"Marriage does not infringe your citizenship as a South African," said Trish Erasmus, of the Pretoria-based Lawyers for Human Rights.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/article-3062217/Wives-club-fights-South-African-xenophobia-attacks.html
[img]http://kiosk.iprenew.info/r.php?nin_u=Oi8vZmFybTMuc3RhdGljLmZsaWNrci5jb20vMjE2NC8yNDQzOTI4MTE1XzhjMzcxZjZjYjVfbS5qcGc%3D&nin_b=1[/img]

3 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by Ilekeh(f): 4:38pm On May 02, 2015
What? But these ladies bare Nigerian names too undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by knightsTempler: 4:46pm On May 02, 2015
MLK once said"Nothin in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity".

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by jascon1(m): 4:54pm On May 02, 2015
She should change the name to Conakry name. Cos I'm going to change my own soon

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by Nobody: 4:56pm On May 02, 2015
South-africans don't know what they're going to lose with all they're doing yet.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by Nobody: 7:17pm On May 02, 2015
If only Nigeria had allowed the whites to mercilessly drive these zulu's to extinction through apartheid, we would not be hearing about these barbaric attacks.

24 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by stevecantrell: 7:18pm On May 02, 2015
tochukwuifeduba:

Okoro's eight-year-old daughter gets mocked by schoolmates over her name "Ngozi" which means "blessing" in Igbo but literally translates to "danger" in Zulu.

s

grin grin grin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by kuuljay(m): 8:10pm On May 02, 2015
ingozi= ngozi grin grin grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by killjoy(m): 10:37pm On May 02, 2015
gh

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:38pm On May 02, 2015
na wa oo

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by tola9ja: 10:38pm On May 02, 2015
MAY BE THE NAME IS FAKA
Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by dre11(m): 10:38pm On May 02, 2015
"Being married to a foreigner is very challenging," Lufuno Orji, a Johannesburg resources consultant whose husband is a Nigerian medical doctor, told AFP.

"You often spend your time defending yourself and then you defend your foreign husband for being himself."

With this........
One Africa is just a mirage
Just a dream

4 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by tola9ja: 10:38pm On May 02, 2015
DIARISGODHOOO

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by Marlicque: 10:40pm On May 02, 2015
The rush for front page, i feel your pain!
tola9ja:
GJYJHJJ

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by Nobody: 10:41pm On May 02, 2015
South Africans... Never knew these people were capable of this. Not after all they suffered. It's so amazing how the tormented becomes the tormentor. The whites will be staring and happily watching in 3d.

14 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by Matttthew(m): 10:42pm On May 02, 2015
Y now
Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by tola9ja: 10:42pm On May 02, 2015
Marlicque:
The rush for front page, i feel your pain!

4 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by Matttthew(m): 10:42pm On May 02, 2015
God go help us
Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by lilmax(m): 10:43pm On May 02, 2015
Smh
Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by Princess042(f): 10:43pm On May 02, 2015
How do we expect others continent to treat us when we treat ourselves this way

Home is still home anytime anyday

3 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by Adeyemmy44: 10:43pm On May 02, 2015
funny
Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by Macelliot(m): 10:43pm On May 02, 2015
Long Live the Republic of Nigeria

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by bunmioguns(m): 10:43pm On May 02, 2015
embarassed

7 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by BIBblacboy: 10:43pm On May 02, 2015
we are one

Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by geniusmedia: 10:43pm On May 02, 2015
Help us God
Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by Parolee: 10:44pm On May 02, 2015
EVERYBODY STARTING TOPICS ON XENOPHOBIA SOUTH AFRICA THIS SOUTH AFRICA THAT........JEEZ WE ARE TIRED NOW. STOP IT ALREADY.

BETTER GET SOMETHING ELSE TO AMUZE YOURSELVES WITH.......YHOOOOO SESIKHATHELE MANJE UKUZWA INTO EYODWA NJALO NJE.

STOP IT!!!!!

5 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: 8yrs Old South African Girl Mocked For Bearing A Nigerian Name by babasade(m): 10:44pm On May 02, 2015
Let keep shut an face our issues let nigerians in south africa come home in 1983 during shehu Shagari regime we had our own xenophobia when we sent ghanians and also killed them because we felt they were taking our jobs..2015 south africian are doing thesame we are shouting..Ghana is now better.. Come home let build our country or get killed no one cares

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Adolf Hitler’s ‘Suicide Note’ To Be Sold At Auction For N32 Million / The Coronation Of Queen Elizabeth II In 1953 (throwback) / Chechen Fighters Who Promised To "Finish Ukraine" Are Leaving After Heavy Losses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.