Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,323 members, 7,780,803 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:40 PM

A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview (32220 Views)

Dilemma Of A 2.2 Graduate / How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview / Man Was Told To Solve This Moral Dilemma In An Interview. His Answer's Genius. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by Solozzo(m): 9:39pm On May 04, 2015
teeowl:
what's your username on nairaland? so if the person is a tribal bigot that is how the company would go and find this out on nairaland.

Just give a. Nice name eg herbertmccauallay2.
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by 3Dee(m): 9:45pm On May 04, 2015
franklingud:
African mentality. The question didn't say the old lady is a witch or the friend didn't know how to drive... #AFRICANSstopthinkinglow

As someone rightly said "you can't answer this kind of question without assuming". Besides they didn't tell us where the incident happened, whether it's in Africa or Europe. We are all making assumptions here.
Even the person that thought outside the box made assumptions.
Pelee o #WHITEMeNcontinuetothinkhigh
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by Nobody: 10:11pm On May 04, 2015
oparahchi:
OP, I am quite impressed with your post. However alot of people on NL don't get the point. The interview question was not seeking for you to give the right answer, but to think outside the box. As a solutions provider, you should be able to think outside the box. Expand your mental capacity.

I am really impressed....
Thanks brother. Like you said, many don't get the point. I wish you could just explain this to all those against the post/answer. But just let them be just like i have. No time!
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by Kingsasian(m): 10:32pm On May 04, 2015
Which one would you choose to offer a ride to, knowing that there could only be one passenger in your car? And not who would you allow to drive your car? @OP.

2 Likes

Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by Xpozitory: 12:23am On May 05, 2015
3Dee:

I wonder too o. What if the old woman na witch pretending to be sick. As for me o, I'll pick my old friend, the devil you know is better than an angel you don't know.
This is why you a Nigerian.
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by Mayor101010(m): 12:29am On May 05, 2015
The Three of them will lap each other...
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by Mayor101010(m): 12:50am On May 05, 2015
''an old lady who look as if she is going to die'' not that the old lady is dieing or she's going to die anytime soon... It used only to describe how the old lady looks.. So why taking her to the hospital? As for me I'll pick all three and they will have to sit on eachothers lap with the old lady on top because I can't leave anyone behind.
unyours:
I decide to share this because i believe it will help someone someday.

Whenever we come through ethical dilemma, the chance is that everyone will choose the part that leads to the least harm.
Most times, it's a function of ones ability to think [intelligently] outside the box.

Now here's a moral dilemma meant to be solved by 200 applicants in a job interview. You will be marveled when you see the answer the only successful candidate gave. Many wouldn't have reasoned in that line.

You are driving along in your car on a wild, stormy night. You pass by a bus stop, and you see three people waiting for the bus:

1. An old lady who looks as if she is about to die.

2. An old friend who once saved your life.

3. The perfect man (or woman) you have been dreaming about.

Which one would you choose to offer a ride to, knowing that there could only be one passenger in your car?

Think before you continue reading.

This is a moral/ethical dilemma that was once actually used as part of a job application.

You could pick up the old lady, because she is going to die, and thus you should save her first; or you could take the old friend because he once saved your life, and this would be the perfect chance to pay him back. However, you may never be able to find your perfect dream lover again.

The candidate who was hired (out of 200 applicants) had no trouble coming up with his answer. I love this. I might actually use it sometime for an interview situation.

He simply answered: “I would give the car keys to my old friend, and let him take the lady to the hospital. I would stay behind and wait for the bus with the woman of my dreams.”

Never forget to “Think Outside of the Box.”
The interview that landed me my job was an interview i got most of what i will call off-point questions like:
Are you married?
What tribe will you like to marry from?
Can you speak Yoruba language?
What's your username on nairaland? (I shock!)

Wish you all goodluck

Reference: Here
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by Cute1bliss(m): 1:07am On May 05, 2015
undecidedi would rather give my friend the car key as ask him to take the old woman to her desired place of destination and flag down a taxi which I and the woman of my dreams will enter wink
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by 3Dee(m): 6:00am On May 05, 2015
Xpozitory:

This is why you a Nigerian.

Yesss, and I'm proud to be a Nigerian. cool
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by Stoical: 8:17am On May 05, 2015
@ unyours: the "interviewee" may have been able to touch the mind of the "interviewer"... But, my thought before checking the response was thus; As an old time friend, I explain to him to understand the old woman's situation and wait for a bus, even as I give the old fragile lady a lift and equally exchange contact with the perfect woman of my dream (after all, there isn't an assurance she will accept your toasting wink

What do you think...would I have been able to convince him too?
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by Nobody: 11:30am On May 06, 2015
Stoical:
@ unyours: the "interviewee" may have been able to touch the mind of the "interviewer"... But, my thought before checking the response was thus; As an old time friend, I explain to him to understand the old woman's situation and wait for a bus, even as I give the old fragile lady a lift and equally exchange contact with the perfect woman of my dream (after all, there isn't an assurance she will accept your toasting wink

What do you think...would I have been able to convince him too?
Hahahaha! like you said: the "interviewee" may have been able to touch the mind of the "interviewer"... I believe there is no definite answer to such questions. The whole idea is just to be able to impress the interviewer with your answer. Who knows, some other persons might have given same similar answers to yours but the interviewers will pick the smartest answer. Every answer is an answer but the king-answer is the best answer. cheesy
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by Stoical: 10:04pm On May 06, 2015
unyours:
Hahahaha! like you said: the "interviewee" may have been able to touch the mind of the "interviewer"... I believe there is no definite answer to such questions. The whole idea is just to be able to impress the interviewer with your answer. Who knows, some other persons might have given same similar answers to yours but the interviewers will pick the smartest answer. Every answer is an answer but the king-answer is the best answer. cheesy

Lol at smartest...the fact that the answer picked by the interviewer does not necessarily means it was the smartest...of course, it only impressed the interviewer. Note: A different interviewer could've dropped the guy with the answer you put up there...it all depends on who asked the question. Anyway, I rest my case here. Pleasure!
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by uzimi: 10:15pm On May 06, 2015
Thank God for wisdom
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by Nobody: 7:28am On May 07, 2015
Stoical:

Lol at smartest...the fact that the answer picked by the interviewer does not necessarily means it was the smartest...of course, it only impressed the interviewer. Note: A different interviewer could've dropped the guy with the answer you put up there...it all depends on who asked the question. Anyway, I rest my case here. Pleasure!
Look at what i said from the post you quoted: "The whole idea is just to be able to impress the interviewer with your answer". Anyone that impress the interviewer most is the smartest....We are all saying the saying the same thing if you can see it clearly. Rest my case too.
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by Dottore: 6:12am On May 09, 2015
Wit all these brain cracking interview questions I keep wondering how all these dumb beautiful ladies in banks and other companies scaled through.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Join Me Praise Jesus I Got My Desired Job!!!!!!! / Massive Recruitmen At Federal University Gusau (50 Vacant Positions) / UBA 2017 Graduate Entry-level Teller Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.