Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,338 members, 7,808,199 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:31 AM

First Impression Of The Rugged Umi HAMMER By Lagosboy3 - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / First Impression Of The Rugged Umi HAMMER By Lagosboy3 (4671 Views)

What Nigerians Think About the Samsung Galaxy S8+My first Impression of the S8. / Infinix Hot S X521 Quick Unboxing & First Impression / A Nairalander's Impression Of The Tecno L8 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Impression Of The Rugged Umi HAMMER By Lagosboy3 by lagosboy3(m): 2:53pm On May 03, 2015
Jeffy1206:
Introducing! The most rugged phone... Umi Hammer'

Specifications
Brand
UMI
Operating System
Android 4.4
CPU Type
Quad Core
Hardware Platform
MTK6732
CPU
1.5GHz
Product Type
Android Phone, 4G Smartphone
Screen
Screen Size
5 Inch
Screen Type
Capacitive
Multi-point Touch
Multi-Touch
Screen Resolution
1280*720
Memory
RAM
2GB
ROM
16GB
Card Slot
Micro SD
Camera
Front Camera
3.2 MP
Rear Camera
13 MP
Flash Light
Support
Auto Focus
Support
Multi-shot
Support
Video Recording
Support
Communication
WIFI
Support
GPS
Support, Internal GPS
Bluetooth
Support
Network Frequency
WCDMA 900/2100MHz, FDD-LTE B3/B7/B20, GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
Functions
Gravity Induction
Support
Distance Sensor
Support
Light Sensor
Support
OTG
Yes
Supported Audio Format
MP3/ACC/AAC+/WAV/AMR
Supported Video Format
MP4/3GP/MPEG-4 Format
Wireless AP
Support
Built-in Google Play Mall
Yes
Others
SIM Card
Dual SIM Dual Standby
SIM Card Type
One Standard Card, One Micro SIM Card
Battery Capacity
2250mAh
Headphone
3.5mm
Data Cable
Micro USB
Accessories
Original Charger, Data Cable, Instruction Book...

This phone is definitely for people that love dropping their phone. Another NOKIA 3310 grin

I'm doing this review further to a promise made to Jeffy1206 after he got me this magnificent device. I hope he gets more interested customers from it.

1 Like

Re: First Impression Of The Rugged Umi HAMMER By Lagosboy3 by lagosboy3(m): 3:36pm On May 03, 2015
It is HAMMER time!!!!

64-bit processors are on the verge of becoming main-stream on Android devices, and the HAMMER is one of the first smartphones from an Asian OEM that uses such a processor. The HAMMER is Umi’s first ever 4G device and also their first release for 2015. It is a 5 inch device with a quad-core 64-bit Cortex-A53 based processor. See unboxing pictures below (pics were taken with my LG L90 phone)

Re: First Impression Of The Rugged Umi HAMMER By Lagosboy3 by lagosboy3(m): 3:43pm On May 03, 2015
[size=14pt]Specs[/size]

In short, the UMi HAMMER is powered by a quad-core Cortex-A53 based processor, has a 5 inch, 720p display, and runs Android 4.4.4 KitKat. Here are the full specs:
Display 5” 720p HD IPS 720 x 1280 pixels
Processor 1.5 GHz, quad-core MediaTek MTK6732, 64-bit, Cortex-A53
GPU ARM MALI-T760
RAM 2GB
Storage 16GB, microSD card slot, up to 64GB
Camera 13 Megapixel Rear Camera, 3.2MP Front Camera
Battery 2250 mAh
Connectivity GPS, microUSB 2.0, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth
Networks GSM, 3G, 4G LTE
Software Android 4.4.4 with Google Play. (Hardware supports upgrade to Android 5.0).
Dimensions 144 x 71.6 x 7.9 mm, 145g
SIM slots Dual-SIM: 1 Mini SIM and 1 Micro SIM

[size=14pt]Design[/size]

UMi promise the Hammer to be a durable, hard-hitting phone suitable for active people enjoying life. A strong alloy chassis forms the foundation of the device, while a “double glass” screens with Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection keeps the display safe (there are videos online where the Hammer was used to smash open walnuts and also to drive nail into wood). These combinations give the device a premium look obtainable in flagship devices from Samsung and other A-list mobile device manufacturers. Currently the Hammer has Android 4.4.4 Kit-Kat out of the box which isn’t really optimized for a 64bit chipset. Hopefully UMi’s development team are working on an Android 5.0 Lollipop update which should eke out a little more performance, and bring with it all those lovely Lollipop transitions and animations (see http://umidigi.com/forums/topic/lollipop-for-umi-hammer/).

Re: First Impression Of The Rugged Umi HAMMER By Lagosboy3 by lagosboy3(m): 3:53pm On May 03, 2015
[size=14pt]Display[/size]

The 5 inch display on the HAMMER is very good considering, the price point of this device. It is a HD IPS display with a resolution of 1280 by 720. That works out to 294 dpi.
Overall the color reproduction is good and the definition is great, as are the viewing angles. Some people like full HD displays for 5 inch devices, however for a budget device, 720p is more than adequate.

[size=14pt]Performance
[/size]
At the heart of the HAMMER is the MediaTek MT6732. It has a quad-core Cortex-A53 based processor which is coupled with a Mali-T760 GPU and the performance is overall very impressive. During 2015 this kind of CPU/GPU combination will become the norm for low- and mid-range phones.
The Cortex-A53 is ARM’s super power efficient variant from its first generation of 64-bit processors. The MT6732 uses four Cortex-A53 cores all clocked at 1.5GHz. It is generally thought that the MT6732 is 20% faster than MediaTek’s Octacore Cortex-A7 based processors, and with 30% less battery consumption.

My experience of using the HAMMER is that the processor package is fast. The UI is smooth and rapid; in fact it offers the fastest UI that I have personally seen on a Chinese OEM phone. In terms of benchmarks, the HAMMER managed to chalk up a little over 31,800 score on the Antutu Benchmark. The score is pretty impressive and slightly above my wife’s [b]Innjoo One 3G HD [/b]with a MT6592 Octacore processor with an Antutu Benchmark score of 31,134.

Re: First Impression Of The Rugged Umi HAMMER By Lagosboy3 by lagosboy3(m): 4:11pm On May 03, 2015
[size=14pt]Hardware[/size]

The phone comes with a 2250 mAh battery, which is slightly less than expected. I guess the rationale is that the 64-bit Cortex-A53 is more power efficient than the 32-bit Cortex-A7. Once you factor in a 5” 720p display, rather than a larger full HD display, then the battery should be OK.

I tested the battery on moderate usage for the first 24hrs after purchasing the device and my verdict puts battery performance as quite impressive. The battery will last all day (from morning to evening) but it will be running out of juice when you go to bed. After receiving the phone from the courier in computer village at about 11:30am I fired the battery up to 100% charge and eventually got around 22 to 23 hours of battery life with around 4 and a half hours of screen on time.

The HAMMER comes with 2GB of RAM, which is excellent for a phone in this price range. In terms of internal storage, the device comes with 16GB of flash and has a micro-SD card slot which can accept cards up to 64GB. Thankfully, unlike other MediaTek based devices, the internal storage isn’t divided up, you get access to the whole lot, which is around 12GB – once you leave space for the Android OS etc.

Re: First Impression Of The Rugged Umi HAMMER By Lagosboy3 by lagosboy3(m): 4:32pm On May 03, 2015
[size=14pt]Camera[/size]

This phone has a 13MP rear facing camera and a 3.2MP front facing camera. The pictures are crisp and the color reproduction is good. The sensor struggles a bit in low-light situations, but for outdoor shots I was quite impressed.

The included camera app, which looks to be the standard AOSP app, offers a few interesting features including HDR and Panorama. In the settings you can change things like the exposure level, the scene type, the white balance, face detection and so on. Overall, the app is fairly comprehensive but it doesn’t have any advanced modes or filters. You can also install and use third-party apps including Google’s camera app.

Here are my sample shots. Please judge for yourselves:

Re: First Impression Of The Rugged Umi HAMMER By Lagosboy3 by henrixx(m): 4:38pm On May 03, 2015
lagosboy3:

I'm doing this review further to a promise made to Jeffy1206 after he got me this magnificent device. I hope he gets more interested customers from it.
how much boss?
Re: First Impression Of The Rugged Umi HAMMER By Lagosboy3 by lagosboy3(m): 4:57pm On May 03, 2015
[size=14pt]Software
[/size]

The HAMMER runs stock Android 4.4.4. You get access to Google Play however; you will have to install all other Google’s services like YouTube, Gmail and Maps. Interestingly the device is rooted by default and comes with SuperSU pre-installed. There are no custom icons or added UI, just stock Android how Google intended. UMi have added a few features for air gesture, screen gestures etc but that’s about it.

Re: First Impression Of The Rugged Umi HAMMER By Lagosboy3 by lagosboy3(m): 5:21pm On May 03, 2015
[size=14pt]Price and Wrap up[/size]

To sum up, the HAMMER is a 4G LTE enabled smartphone, with a 720p HD display and a quad-core 64-bit CPU. The performance is good for this price point, and the promise of Android 5.0 Lollipop is quite enticing. You can pick up an UMi HAMMER at about N32k (depending on dollar fluctuation) from a Chinese wholesaler or retailers through any of the resellers on Nairaland (got mine from Jeffy). When you consider the overall specification of the device that is a great price!!!

PROS

• Great value for the money
• Possible upgrade to Android 5.0 soon
• One of the first Chinese handsets with a 64-bit processor
• Good to see microSD and dual-SIM here
• Corning Gorilla Glass 3, Multi-touch, OGS (One Glass Solution), Wet finger tracking
• A solid 5 inch budget device, with a nice 64-bit processor and a good GPU
• OTG supported

CONS

• Single rear speaker sound output not impressive
• Camera struggles in low-light
• Battery life is OK, but could be better
• Some heating up during high-powered multitasking noticed

[size=14pt]References[/size]

http://umidigi.com/
www.kimovil.com
www.gizchina.com
www.devicespecifications.com
Re: First Impression Of The Rugged Umi HAMMER By Lagosboy3 by Jeffy1206(m): 5:59pm On May 03, 2015
Thanks for the mention here and this wonderful review...
Re: First Impression Of The Rugged Umi HAMMER By Lagosboy3 by lagosboy3(m): 6:16pm On May 03, 2015
Jeffy1206:
Thanks for the mention here and this wonderful review...

No P Oga Jeffy.

I had more pictures and screenshots I wanted to post but it was overly challenging achieving that. This is the best I can pull off for now.

Meanwhile, I dey await my freebies as agreed o.......... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin wink
Re: First Impression Of The Rugged Umi HAMMER By Lagosboy3 by temitimx19(m): 6:34pm On May 03, 2015
how much did you get the phone and where can i get it from. please i want one too embarassed
Re: First Impression Of The Rugged Umi HAMMER By Lagosboy3 by Jeffy1206(m): 9:38pm On May 03, 2015
temitimx19:
how much did you get the phone and where can i get it from. please i want one too embarassed
if you need this phone contact me from my signature below.
Re: First Impression Of The Rugged Umi HAMMER By Lagosboy3 by lagosboy3(m): 11:56pm On May 04, 2015
temitimx19:

Feel free to refer to the thread below. I'm too sure you would be better guided. Cheers.

www.nairaland.com/1869754/thread-android-phones-tablets-power/28

1 Like

Re: First Impression Of The Rugged Umi HAMMER By Lagosboy3 by shahydbinaliyu(m): 5:35pm On May 11, 2015
is it Upgradeable to lollipop
Re: First Impression Of The Rugged Umi HAMMER By Lagosboy3 by lagosboy3(m): 6:52pm On May 18, 2015
shahydbinaliyu:
is it Upgradeable to lollipop

Not yet but it comes with a 64bit chipset (MTK6732) which can support the lollipop upgrade.
Re: First Impression Of The Rugged Umi HAMMER By Lagosboy3 by Namzy(m): 7:22pm On May 18, 2015
Should have gotten an elephone p6000. Bought from aliexpress.com for 24k plus($119.99). Has same specs but has notification light better battery(2700mah) comes with android 5.0 out of the box after their promo they started shipping with android 5.0. Umi just has a better camera (ie if its not interpolated) elephone has interpolated 5 megapixel front and interpolated 13 mega pixel rear, which should be 2 megapixel front and 8 megapixel back(most people don't know this) before interpolation. Anyway nice buy, mine be coming in soon
Re: First Impression Of The Rugged Umi HAMMER By Lagosboy3 by Jeffy1206(m): 3:53am On May 19, 2015
Namzy:
Should have gotten an elephone p6000. Bought from aliexpress.com for 24k plus($119.99). Has same specs but has notification light better battery(2700mah) comes with android 5.0 out of the box after their promo they started shipping with android 5.0. Umi just has a better camera (ie if its not interpolated) elephone has interpolated 5 megapixel front and interpolated 13 mega pixel rear, which should be 2 megapixel front and 8 megapixel back(most people don't know this) before interpolation. Anyway nice buy, mine be coming in soon
p6000 is no lollipop from box.
Re: First Impression Of The Rugged Umi HAMMER By Lagosboy3 by Jeffy1206(m): 3:54am On May 19, 2015
Namzy:
is p6000 2gig ram, support 4g, 64bit? I doubt it... What about double layer screen?
Re: First Impression Of The Rugged Umi HAMMER By Lagosboy3 by lagosboy3(m): 12:44pm On Jun 07, 2015
Good news for UMi Hammer owners. Lollipop 5.1 firmware upgrade now available.

Check it out here:http://umidigi.com/forums/topic/android-5-1-for-hammer/

Enjoy!!!!
Re: First Impression Of The Rugged Umi HAMMER By Lagosboy3 by Jeffy1206(m): 8:01am On Jun 08, 2015
lagosboy3:
Good news for UMi Hammer owners. Lollipop 5.1 firmware upgrade now available.

Check it out here:http://umidigi.com/forums/topic/android-5-1-for-hammer/

Enjoy!!!!
thanks bro
Re: First Impression Of The Rugged Umi HAMMER By Lagosboy3 by aceTS: 9:29am On Jun 08, 2015
lagosboy3:

Feel free to refer to the thread below. I'm too sure you would be better guided. Cheers.

www.nairaland.com/1869754/thread-android-phones-tablets-power/28

so what is wrong in just saying 32k? this attitude of making a simple request look like a top secret is why this country is in a mess cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: First Impression Of The Rugged Umi HAMMER By Lagosboy3 by lagosboy3(m): 11:14am On Jun 08, 2015
aceTS:

so what is wrong in just saying 32k? this attitude of making a simple request look like a top secret is why this country is in a mess cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Don't quite get what you are bickering about dude.

1 Like

Re: First Impression Of The Rugged Umi HAMMER By Lagosboy3 by hemor(m): 12:36pm On Jun 13, 2015
lagosboy3 I just got this phone (not from your seller tho) but I'm having issues downloading rom from rootjoy also phone keeps telling me no update available. Let's talk on whatsapp 07060731331. It'll be good if we can open a whatsapp group too.
Re: First Impression Of The Rugged Umi HAMMER By Lagosboy3 by Nobody: 10:44am On Jun 25, 2016
@ Lagosboy3 I saw your post about the brogues shoe. I can sell it to you cos if interested. My Whatsapp let's talk. 07052940887
Re: First Impression Of The Rugged Umi HAMMER By Lagosboy3 by lagosboy3(m): 4:04pm On Jun 26, 2016
66Kazna99:
@ Lagosboy3 I saw your post about the brogues shoe. I can sell it to you cos if interested. My Whatsapp let's talk. 07052940887

I got your message. Thanks.

Although I'm taking to mexioni already.

Cheers.

(1) (Reply)

How To Get 15mb With N25,and 30mb With N6O On MTN!!! / Pls Be Careful Do Not Buy Tecno Phones Read My Reasons / How To Purchase Mobile Phone Airtime In Nigeria Using Paypal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.