Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,182 members, 7,807,584 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:47 PM

Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US (82198 Views)

Check Out Pictures Of The Igbo Farm Village In Virginia, USA / Igbo Community Built In Virginia USA See Photos. / Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by idhalama(m): 8:56pm On May 03, 2015
I have a friend in Jamaica,she told me almost every one in Caribbean are igbos and they do speak igbo and the culture still goes on there,they even study history and talk about the igbos,only few yorubas,but more of igbo and people in the south south.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by TheReborn(f): 8:56pm On May 03, 2015
ezeagu:

Because a lot of the times the slaves ethnicity (although sometimes generalised) were noted. If you look up some books you will see the the main ethnic group from the Bight was Igbo.

Nsibidi is used by other Cross River groups like Ibibio, Efik, and as far as Idoma, etc. How can they not acknowledge its origins when the hats variations carry Ibibio names or the occasions when its used are Ibibio cultures like Ekpe? The hat spread out and was picked up by different Igbo groups as fashion, but the Aro people, Ohafia and other Cross River Igbo groups are not drawing or debating any cultures with Ibibio, Annang, Ekoi and other groups who they have connected with.

Nsibidi is not an Igbo creation. Please do your research properly.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by ezeagu(m): 8:56pm On May 03, 2015
duni04:

Madam scammer, where is the evidence of the dominance? Or are Jamaicans so ashamed of their "Igbo(hemp) heritage" that we've never heard of any Igbo(hemp) association?

Jamaican activist, writer and professor Ekwueme Michael Thelwell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ekwueme_Michael_Thelwell

6 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by ezeagu(m): 8:59pm On May 03, 2015
duni04:

Madam scammer, where is the evidence of the dominance? Or are Jamaicans so ashamed of their "Igbo(hemp) heritage" that we've never heard of any Igbo(hemp) association?

Jamaican musician Michael "Ibo" Cooper

6 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by tzoracle: 8:59pm On May 03, 2015
Ufranklin92:

you be otele okuko
amu udele

Ikpu mme
Ala mma gi
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by ezeagu(m): 9:00pm On May 03, 2015
TheReborn:

Nsibidi is not an Igbo creation. Please do your research properly.

Well, you need to read more carefully.

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Octaves(m): 9:00pm On May 03, 2015
Jealous bitches be like
tobtap:
only peeps with INFERIORITY COMPLEX will claim the 75% of the entire slaves in another place,yet no visible proof thru(CULTURE, LANGUAGE AND CUISINE ) to back up their claims.
my candid opinion

6 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by PPAngel(f): 9:00pm On May 03, 2015
Malawian:

actually, haiti is more of igbo than yoruba.

Yoruba culture was encouraged to thrive by the European slavers to stiffle the outlawed Igbo language, culture and religion. Why?

Because Igbos where constanyly planning a rebellion or runnaway in their tongue. Outlawing the igbi language served to keep the yoruba snicth informed and also to break the igbo spirit among the igbo slaves.

Igbo women slaves where also discouraged to breed with other igbos inorder to douse the rebellious spirit in the offsprings

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by GodMode: 9:02pm On May 03, 2015
anonimi:

Maybe the appropriate question to ask yourself is:

Why did we ALLOW them to do all these "bad" things to us?

Are we so weak or rather mentally LAZY embarassed

Meanwhile I hope you realise that all you wrote in past tense is still valid in the PRESENT tense- just look around you, almost ALL that you use, wear & even eat is from the TECHNOLOGY developed, improved and maintained by other races apart from black people.
That should worry any THINKING African, not so

You mean why are YOU so lazy not we

In case you don't know Africa fought a war with the colonial masters but there is nothing to back it up cos it was probably destroyed..

Africans betrayed each other which led to the whole slavery issue.. because new kings(African puppets) were installed in kingdoms to convince the people(Africans)...

It still happens till date..

What I eat is from Africa..
What I wear are Africa prints...

Technological deficiency is because of bad leaders..

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 9:03pm On May 03, 2015
VIRGINIA, USA! Are you kidding me? Then VIRGINIA, USA must be a NO MAN'S LAND just like LAGOS, NIGERIA. These guys just keep associating themselves with anything and everything just to show a sort of superiority or advancement above anybody non-igbo. An obvious sign of chronic and pandemic inferiority complex, delusion and a pathetic desire to be accepted like a descerted and lonely cry cry baby with a inherent victim syndrome

7 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by AreaFada2: 9:04pm On May 03, 2015
Very interesting to see the lies of some tribes who claimed Benin raided neighbouring tribes for slaves.

It further confirms the report of a 17th century French slave trader that Oba of Benin had banned Slave trade involving Benin people, whether as slave or as a trader.

That certain elite of other tribes within Benin empire then negotiated freedom to sell their own people. That among the 100 or so slaves marketed along the route to Gwatto/Ughoton Port, there was no Benin trader or slave among them.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by scholes0(m): 9:05pm On May 03, 2015
bigfrancis21:

The tribe taken out of bight of biafra was mostly Igbo, followed by the Ibibios/Efiks of Mokos, and much less Ijaws.

Research shows that at least 60% of AAs have Igbo blood running in them. That is the lowest amount of african americans who have Igbo blood running in them is 60%. The population of african americans today is estimated at 45 million people, 60% of those translates to 27 million AAs having Igbo blood (partial or full) running in them.

For African Americans in particular, the ethnic groups that make up them are mostly Igbo, Akan, Mandingo, and Kongo.

DNA testing evidence has proven this fact correct. DNA cannot lie. There are very very few DNA testing results pointing to Ibibio/Efik, in line with slave records kept that have shown over and over that Igbo were a majority taken out of Biafra. At one time, out of 37,000 slaves taken out of bight of biafra, 30,000 were Igbos.

Igbos were favoured mostly by the british/English slave traders and were shipped out the most by the english than the portuguese to english-speaking colonies, as you can see from the records below:

This explains why Igbo presence in the americas is felt mostly in English speaing countries today - Jamaica, US, Barbados, Belize, Trinidad and Tobago, Carriacou etc.

AA's have a lot in them, but like you mentioned, mostly Akan tribes, Senegambians (Mandings, Fulas), Kongo, Ibo and Mbundu/Ovimbundu
As for DNA , there is only so precise it can get, if for example I come from a small tribe that contributed lot of slaves and the DNA company does not have samples from my tribe in their data bank. a potential AA looking to find out his/her exact origins will only get the closest estimate, which would be the bigger neighboring tribe with available samples.
But yeah, I kinda get ur point.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 9:05pm On May 03, 2015
Yourba are not more than Igbos in Haiti, during the earthquake that hit Haiti,government of the East donated heavily to Haiti govt cos of large number of Igbo descents, during the uncivil war Haiti surported Biafra as against nigeria
PPAngel:
Yorubas are quick to claim Haiti but what they don't know os that Igbos dominate Jamaican culture and history

Between Haiti and Jamaica which would you prefer to visit?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Ufranklin92(m): 9:05pm On May 03, 2015
tzoracle:

Ikpu mme
Ala mma gi

lol,guy you be idiooot oo

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by niceeric(m): 9:06pm On May 03, 2015
Beautiful....so 70%(almost all) of slaves brought into that land were igbos??...still wonder why I never saw any of that in any history book...hmmm

well, I guess the next thread I'll see as a sequel to this is :Micheal Jackson's roots have been traced to Anambra lol

Lastly,make una go take over the place too now since na una help dem develop the place as usual....na another no man's land be that, isn't it?

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by bigfrancis21: 9:06pm On May 03, 2015
PPAngel:

Google no dey collect money.

Igbo uprisings in Jamaica and the surronding caribean greatly influenced abolition of slavery.

The Igbos were more than ever to run away and suicide was also rampant among Igbo and Efik slaves who preferred death than slavery.

But typical in today's world the Yoruba slave was very much subservient to his or her white masters.

In haiti igbos also dominated the rebellion that ousted the French and made Haiti the first independent black nation in the northern hemisphere.

So before you beat your foul chest that they speak Yoruba in Haiti know that your people where not trusted among the slaves back then. The only reason Yoruba language was encouraged was to stiffle the rebellious Igbo language which was used by mutious slaves to plan their revolt

Slave so when ever you see rihanna know you are seeing Nkechi

You are making sense, however the main reason for the survival of yoruba tradition in the carribean and south america today is due to the fact that yoruba slaves were exported mostly during the latter half of the slave trade and especially towards the abolition era of slave trade when slave identity stripping policies were piping down and slaves were allowed to practice their religions. Many yorubas arrived the americas to find slaves who had long acculturated to their environment, lost much of their african culture and lost touch to mama africa. Still being fresh from africa, the yorubas were able to establish their religion in the new world, which attracted the attendance of other tribes as a means of connecting back to mama africa. While still remembering where they were brought from, many yorubas returned back to africa to settle in Nigeria (Ransome Kuti, Desmond Elliot, Tiamiyu Savage, etc. are examples of returnee yoruba families who returned from south america with portuguese names, many of who latter changed their names to yoruba. They are referred to as saros) and Liberia.

Today, many of the adherents of Ifa in south america are ethnically not yoruba, but adhere to the religion in a sense of connection back to their african origin.

Ifa in South america today is simply a religion, open to anybody, just as we have christianity which is practised by jews, whites and blacks alike. Therefore, in no means should ifa adherents be referred to as 'yoruba descendants' simply because they profess to the religion.

Also in their favour was the fact that the portuguese, unlike the english, allowed the practise of native religions by the african slaves, thus permitting the survival of african traditions and culture in latin america. In stark opposite, the english sought ways to subdue the africans and strip them of their identity.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by tzoracle: 9:07pm On May 03, 2015
Ufranklin92:

lol,guy you be idiooot oo

Okwa ifvu la na m bu onye igbo

Onye nwuru ihe cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by TheReborn(f): 9:08pm On May 03, 2015
bigfrancis21:

The tribe taken out of bight of biafra was mostly Igbo, followed by the Ibibios/Efiks of Mokos, and much less Ijaws.

Research shows that at least 60% of AAs have Igbo blood running in them. That is the lowest amount of african americans who have Igbo blood running in them is 60%. The population of african americans today is estimated at 45 million people, 60% of those translates to 27 million AAs having Igbo blood (partial or full) running in them.

For African Americans in particular, the ethnic groups that make up them are mostly Igbo, Akan, Mandingo, and Kongo.

DNA testing evidence has proven this fact correct. DNA cannot lie. There are very very few DNA testing results pointing to Ibibio/Efik, in line with slave records kept that have shown over and over that Igbo were a majority taken out of Biafra. At one time, out of 37,000 slaves taken out of bight of biafra, 30,000 were Igbos.

Igbos were favoured mostly by the british/English slave traders and were shipped out the most by the english than the portuguese to english-speaking colonies, as you can see from the records below:

This explains why Igbo presence in the americas is felt mostly in English speaing countries today - Jamaica, US, Barbados, Belize, Trinidad and Tobago, Carriacou etc.

The table supplied proves nothing. Several tribes were taken along with the Igbos from the Bight of Biafra. Don't forget that earlier writings often grouped most of the tribes of SE as Igbo even when they were not.

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/23267213?uid=3738720&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&sid=21106686753233

In the link above, you will find other tribes listed along with the Igbos as those taken out from the Bight of Biafra.

http://ugrrquilt.hartcottagequilts.com/woods

In the link above, the ideograms are rightly attributed to the Ejagham tribe of Cross River State.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Ihuomadinihu: 9:08pm On May 03, 2015
tobtap:

with due respect...are u saying only igbo slaves introduced okro/okra and DAT'S ur proof.. as per jonkonnu/obeah igbo traditions are part of the practice not the founders...and please GIVE me PROOF.
cheers
Njoku/Dibia/okro are all igbo words. Think before writing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by felifeli: 9:10pm On May 03, 2015
bigfrancis21:
A cemetery in George Washington National Forest in Amherst County, Va., is a good example. For decades, observers have commented that the gravestones had “strange marks.” Recently, these marks have been identified by this writer as African ideograms originating in Nigeria. The gravestones are inscribed with what appears to be Nsibidi, an Igbo writing system, confirming the survival of Igbo traditions during the trans-Atlantic slave trade. Made of high-quality blue slate indigenous to the area and mined from a local quarry, the stones show little damage from weather or time. Subsequently, the place was named the “Seventeen Stones Cemetery.”

The stones were probably engraved between 1770 to 1830, when the Igbo Diaspora was at its height in Virginia. At that time, the Igbo people comprised approximately 70 percent of the blacks in Virginia, a larger percentage than in any other Southern state.

A star symbol at the top of one stone, signifying “congress” or “unity” has similarities to the Kongo cosmogram that depicts the life cycle of birth, life, death and the afterlife. The cosmogram symbol has equal perpendicular crossbars or lines, sometimes contained in a diamond shape or a circle. Here, the linear symbol in the lower register appears to be a combination of the sign for “individual” and “this land is mine.” Together the signs mean the deceased has joined the realm of the ancestors. Both symbols are enclosed in a rectangle, denoting their association. A line separating the symbols emphasizes they are separate but one.

Igbo ideograms were important elements of religious practice and served as mnemonic devices associated with religion and with moral and historical narratives. In Igbo death and burial traditions, Nsibidi symbols honoring the ancestors were thought to protect the deceased. The most appropriate place to honor one’s forefathers was the cemetery. At times, the deceased were consulted for help with day-to-day problems. Items such as chickens, rum and schnapps were offered as gifts for the deceased during a grave-side ceremony.

In the Seventeen Stones Cemetery, an iron pot was found set into the ground, suggesting the possibility of ancestral worship at this site. Historical sources describe how slaves worshiped in the forest by talking to a pot — the retainer for words and thoughts that could not be made public. African inscriptions and accompanying religious practices were outlawed during the period of enslavement. Creating such symbols was punishable by death because of its association with witchcraft. Hence, few examples of African ideograms still exist in the United States.

chai , na igbo people get everywhere. na dem get graveyards for amerika too grin grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Dreambeat: 9:10pm On May 03, 2015

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Ufranklin92(m): 9:10pm On May 03, 2015
tzoracle:

Okwa ifvu la na m bu onye igbo

Onye nwuru ihe cheesy

no be small onye nwuru ihe oo

abia or anambra
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Ladybluecash(f): 9:11pm On May 03, 2015
tzoracle:
Nawa o

All dis igbo posts are starting to annoy me
It shows inferiority complex,stop digging out all this facts like like u need anyones validation

And before u judge
I'm igbo
Full blooded
sharap u said u igbo yet u spik lik ndi ofenmanu,,,, if its beginin to annoy u,, u can go hug d transformer for all we care, cos we d ndi igbo we neva get tired of hearin stuffs abt us,,,,, ozuayi kpolu onwe onye igbo

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by TheReborn(f): 9:12pm On May 03, 2015
ezeagu:

Well, you need to read more carefully.

Please refer to my previous post and help yourself with the links there. Read the one below and rid yourself of your confusion.

The Igbo tribe is great enough. There is no need to steal the achievements of other tribes as their own.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by hamilton62(m): 9:12pm On May 03, 2015
tzoracle:

Nwanne m maka zi na abu m onye igbo ichoghi ka m kwuo ihe di m na uche

Because I'm igbo
I can't speak my thoughts
Never did this post show any inferiority among the igbos... Don't generalize your personal thoughts... If a vote is cast here among the igbos according to your reply firstly, then you will see your null score here.
Thanks

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by tzoracle: 9:12pm On May 03, 2015
Ufranklin92:

no be small onye nwuru ihe oo

abia or anambra

Anambra oo
Ndi o mpa
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by ezeagu(m): 9:13pm On May 03, 2015
TheReborn:

Please refer to my previous post and help yourself with the links there. Read the one below and rid yourself of your confusion.

The Igbo tribe is great enough. There is no need to steal the achievements of other tribes as their own.

You seriously need to read things more carefully.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by AlienStar: 9:14pm On May 03, 2015
psalmizt:

I don't think so. There's an account that dates back to 1400s of the Benin Kingdom's interaction with the Portuguese. I believe the white man knows some of this and is unwilling to share. Trust me it is better for us to piece this little puzzles together than carry on as if we had no past. I yearn for movies that depicts some of these history. Sick and tired of knowing about medieval Europe and nothing about my fatherland. If we don't cherish whatever history we have, no one will do it for us.
u r right and who will bell d cat, we dnt hv dt mindset to change n i hv read ds book "how europe underdeveloped africa" n smtyms heartbreaking to see dt dey were afta dere selfish purpose.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Ihuomadinihu: 9:14pm On May 03, 2015
scholes0:

but the table did not state their tribes, but just their port of export only.
Also, who else borrowed Nsibiri except for the Eastern Igbos? It is just like the Ibibio hat Igbos wear, which they have also today made their own, without acknowledging it's actual origins
Genetics,culture and slave records already identified the area of Igbo dominace during trans-atlantic slavery.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by MrSunesis(m): 9:15pm On May 03, 2015
tobtap:
only peeps with INFERIORITY COMPLEX will claim the 75% of the entire slaves in another place,yet no visible proof thru(CULTURE, LANGUAGE AND CUISINE ) to back up their claims.
my candid opinion

Does everything have to inflicted with a derogratory remark?
The proofs beyond language and culture etc are before your eyes...magazine strips and data from way back two centuries... And you still insult the race. Why don't we just respect each race and accept their peculiarities? If these facts where figures for the Yoruba race most of the nairalanders who are yorubas will not be be asking for such facts but readily accept these here. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by tzoracle: 9:15pm On May 03, 2015
hamilton62:

Never did this post show any inferiority among the igbos... Don't generalize your personal thoughts... If a vote is cast here among the igbos according to your reply firstly, then you will see your null score here.
Thanks

So u dn believe say I be igbo
Weyrey
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by bigfrancis21: 9:15pm On May 03, 2015
ezeagu:

Jamaican musician Michael "Ibo" Cooper

I was just about to post that image!

It is a well-known fact that up until 1970 some african american families bore 'ibo' as family last name, in accordance to their Igbo ancestral heritage.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi Pays Wuriaola's Dowry; New Wife Steps Out In Royal Wedding Outfit / 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria / 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.