Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,373 members, 7,808,298 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:03 AM

Motorist bribes Ondo policemen N10,000 to avoid frame-up - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Motorist bribes Ondo policemen N10,000 to avoid frame-up (12174 Views)

Delta Traffic Officer Bites A Motorist (Photos) / Cult members bury motorist alive in Lagos (Photo) / Ondo Policemen Kill Driver In Custody, Label Him Armed Robber- The Punch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Motorist bribes Ondo policemen N10,000 to avoid frame-up by Nobody: 6:10am On May 04, 2015
A motorist, Niya Ezra, says he was forced to bribe four policemen attached to the Ondo State Police Command’s Fast Strike Squad N10,000 to avoid being set up as an armed robber.

Two of the policemen were identified as Sergeant Idoko Edache and F. Temitope.

PUNCH Metro learnt that Ezra, an employee of the Nigeria Institute of Medical Research, was travelling to the Akungba area of Ondo State to check his sick sister on April 25 when the incident happened.

Ezra said he had slowed down at about 12am on Ondo Road in Akure for the cops and wound down the glass of his vehicle.

He said, “They are Fast Strike Squad with a patrol van marked, 04. I slowed down, wound down the door glass of my jeep and greeted them. They looked inside my car and told me to go.”

Ezra said as his journey continued, he was flagged down by another patrol team and the policemen ordered him to go back to the previous point for his vehicle to be properly checked.

He said, “When I got there, they told me to park near a bush and proceeded to search the car. I folded both the front and back seats of the vehicle for them. They discovered I did not have anything incriminating. They checked my vehicle particulars and the chassis number and confirmed they are correct.”

After the search, the victim said the team suddenly became hostile and ordered him to pay N10,000 or be arrested for armed robbery.

He said he initially pleaded with the policemen, telling them that he was on his way to see his sick sister.

He added that after four hours of pleading, he saw that the policemen were serious about framing him up for armed robbery. He added that he was forced to pay the N10,000.

“They threatened to frame me up for robbery if I failed to cooperate. At a point, one of them said if they really wanted to deal with me for proving stubborn, they would radio their station that an armed robber had been arrested.

“I was shocked. I then pretended as if I wanted to urinate and went to a corner to switch on the recorder of my handset. I begged with N1,000; increased it to N3,000; and then N5,000; yet, they refused. They said they would not collect even N9,999”

In the recorded conversation made available to our correspondent, a policeman, who spoke in pidgin, was heard saying, “Your money is N10,000 I don tell you (referring to Ezra). Even N9,999 is not acceptable. When we stopped you why you no stop? You don suffer us instead of you to pack jeje (gently).

“Where one army (soldier) dey, una go pack, come down inside motor, carry leg go meet am and put money for inside drum.”

Ezra said he paid the money to avoid being set up by the cops. He said he had confidence in the police until his experience on the fateful day and urged that the cops be disciplined for the act.

He said, “They did not see me with anything incriminating. But I had to bribe them at that moment because I saw that they were very desperate. It means they have been doing it to innocent citizens. I want them to be brought to justice.”

The police spokesperson, Ondo State Command, Wole Ogodo, said the cops had been quizzed and found culpable. He added that they had been locked up in custody as a preliminary discipline.

He said, “He (Edache) wanted to deny, but I told him he can’t. Everybody knows me. I don’t compromise on discipline.

“Presently, I have ordered that he and his team members be locked up. For further disciplinary action to be taken on them, it requires that the man comes forward to give evidence. I thank him for being able to identify two of the cops.

“Meanwhile, on behalf of the command, I want to appeal to the man not to use the few bad eggs to judge the entire police force. I assure him that justice will be done in this case.”

http://www.punchng.com/metro-plus/motorist-bribes-ondo-policemen-n10000-to-avoid-frame-up/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Motorist bribes Ondo policemen N10,000 to avoid frame-up by izuch(m): 6:24am On May 04, 2015
Re: Motorist bribes Ondo policemen N10,000 to avoid frame-up by Nobody: 6:31am On May 04, 2015
Nigerian police is your friend, yet if you report a crime to them you would become the first suspect, anyway these guys their own cup don full.

4 Likes

Re: Motorist bribes Ondo policemen N10,000 to avoid frame-up by faray: 6:34am On May 04, 2015
innocent citizen stil out by 12am... ok continue

1 Like

Re: Motorist bribes Ondo policemen N10,000 to avoid frame-up by izuch(m): 6:35am On May 04, 2015
imas:

what's wrong with this op, it's your thread and you are still dragging FTC why not just modify your original post

You blind? How e take be my thread, who tell you say i dey drag ftc, who vex you this early mormor, even if i book space how e take affect you? Make your head straight ohoh undecided-*

4 Likes

Re: Motorist bribes Ondo policemen N10,000 to avoid frame-up by tolababa(m): 6:37am On May 04, 2015
In my state, diaris Godduu
Re: Motorist bribes Ondo policemen N10,000 to avoid frame-up by Nobody: 6:41am On May 04, 2015
izuch:

You blind? How e take be my thread, who tell you say i dey drag ftc, who vex you this early mormor, even if i book space how e take affect you? Make your head straight ohoh undecided-*
No Vex, na hangover things grin
Re: Motorist bribes Ondo policemen N10,000 to avoid frame-up by izuch(m): 6:44am On May 04, 2015
imas:

No Vex, na hangover things grin

I for say grin i just dey reason how i wan take go work with the one wey hold me here grin
Re: Motorist bribes Ondo policemen N10,000 to avoid frame-up by yuncka: 6:47am On May 04, 2015
if only our Judicial System is upright, many of these monsters in uniform will be serving sentences......

2 Likes

Re: Motorist bribes Ondo policemen N10,000 to avoid frame-up by holicalpha(m): 8:58am On May 04, 2015
Corruption Everywhere, even your supposed savior isn't exempted.

- Valar Morghulis

2 Likes

Re: Motorist bribes Ondo policemen N10,000 to avoid frame-up by Nobody: 8:59am On May 04, 2015
another name for police in Nigeria is armer robber
Re: Motorist bribes Ondo policemen N10,000 to avoid frame-up by intergral(m): 8:59am On May 04, 2015
Don't worry baba is there for you
Re: Motorist bribes Ondo policemen N10,000 to avoid frame-up by NaMe4: 9:01am On May 04, 2015
It's more common than you may even imagine. I had a similar experience in late March along Okene Road in Kogi State. The dude was demanding 10k.

2 Likes

Re: Motorist bribes Ondo policemen N10,000 to avoid frame-up by proxitaly: 9:01am On May 04, 2015
Nigeria police?

It needs change most
Re: Motorist bribes Ondo policemen N10,000 to avoid frame-up by efilefun(m): 9:05am On May 04, 2015
Nigeria police force needs serious overhauling, lots of Criminals hide under that uniform
Re: Motorist bribes Ondo policemen N10,000 to avoid frame-up by Nobody: 9:06am On May 04, 2015
lol Africa

Thank God I'm not there

2 Likes

Re: Motorist bribes Ondo policemen N10,000 to avoid frame-up by brownlord: 9:08am On May 04, 2015
This is no news if he was residing in Benin.

Seems edo state have the worst criminals in NPF

1 Like

Re: Motorist bribes Ondo policemen N10,000 to avoid frame-up by nikkflexible(f): 9:09am On May 04, 2015
police is your enemy
Re: Motorist bribes Ondo policemen N10,000 to avoid frame-up by Nobody: 9:16am On May 04, 2015
faray:

Did you read that he was going to see his sister who was ill?? Maybe he was at work and closed late and decided to leave after work!

Policemen ehn!! The corrupt ones are so much more than the just ones! angry angry

3 Likes

Re: Motorist bribes Ondo policemen N10,000 to avoid frame-up by tesyfresh(f): 9:17am On May 04, 2015
Police is yourfriend#still wanderin though#
Re: Motorist bribes Ondo policemen N10,000 to avoid frame-up by franugo2: 9:21am On May 04, 2015
Normal tincry
Re: Motorist bribes Ondo policemen N10,000 to avoid frame-up by buJu234: 9:22am On May 04, 2015
please always stay safe..

stop keeping late night and try to have atleast a lawyer friend..

Nigeria policemen are not ur friend when u re koboless.
Re: Motorist bribes Ondo policemen N10,000 to avoid frame-up by Csami(m): 9:24am On May 04, 2015
Police is ur frienemy
Re: Motorist bribes Ondo policemen N10,000 to avoid frame-up by pretydiva(f): 9:26am On May 04, 2015
Too bad
Re: Motorist bribes Ondo policemen N10,000 to avoid frame-up by Nten: 9:29am On May 04, 2015
One of the worst things to go through in the hands of policemen, framing up charges especially arm robbery
Re: Motorist bribes Ondo policemen N10,000 to avoid frame-up by dammytosh: 9:29am On May 04, 2015
faray:

Y can't he ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gunmen Invade Mosque In Ogun, Abduct Police Inspector, Two Others / Eight Passengers Kidnapped In Oyo State / Rally Against Rape And Domestic Violence At Alausa, Lagos Today (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.