Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,734 members, 7,806,009 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:09 AM

Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report (25485 Views)

Four Nigerian Banks Among World’s Top 500 / Banks May Deny 14.6 Million Customers Services By Wednesday / Four Nigerian Banks Among Top 500 Global Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by zik4ever: 9:31am On May 04, 2015
new report by Allan Gray Group has stated that a few Nigeria banks may go bust or raise capital next year.

The report, which examined the lenders’ performance as of the end of March, added that investors’ sentiment towards Nigerian banks had gone from positive to ‘outright fear.’

ADVERTISEMENT

The research by Allan Gray, Africa’s largest privately-owned investment management company, linked the development to the falling oil price, likely spike in bad debts, political uncertainty and the Boko Haram insurgency.

The report read in part, “Sentiment towards Nigerian banks has gone from positive to outright fear. The fear is not without reason given the falling oil price, likely spike in bad debts, political uncertainty and Boko Haram insurgency.

“It is indeed likely that there will be a lot of distress in the next year, but it is important to remember that what a company earns in a particular year generally has little bearing on the intrinsic value of the business; what counts is the level of normal earning through the cycle and the ability to grow those earnings.

“Financial companies are a little different in this regard as they may go bankrupt before achieving normal earnings. A few Nigerian banks may go bust or raise capital, but luckily the share prices are discounting this probability.”

The Allan Gray report, entitled ‘Gray Issue: The sentiment pendulum’, also compared Nigerian banks with Kenyan banks relative to their assets and the Gross Domestic Product of their respective countries.

According to the research and investment firm, there is no reason why the Kenya banking sector should be any more or less profitable than the Nigerian in the long term, arguing that over the past 10 years the Return on Equity for the two sectors have been similar.

The ROE measures a company’s profitability by revealing how much profit a company generates with the money shareholders have invested.

The study read, “With a similar ROE, the Price-to-Book value for these two countries’ banks should be fairly close. However, the largest five listed banks in Kenya are trading at 2.6 times book value, discounting a long-term ROE of about 26 per cent, while the Nigerian banks trade below book value, indicating a long-term ROE of around 10 per cent.

“The market capitalisation of the companies relative to the assets on the balance sheet tells a similar story, with Kenya banks pricing in a return on assets 3.5 times that of Nigerian banks.

“In the Allan Gray Africa ex-SA Equity Fund we have a significant investment in Nigerian banks and very little in Kenya banks. We think the terrible sentiment and clear risks are giving us the opportunity to buy decent businesses, with favourable long-term prospects, at very attractive prices.”

The Price-to-book value is a financial ratio used to compare a company’s current market share price to its book value i.e the value of the of a company’s net assets expressed on the balance sheet.

Industry players and analysts had said a number of regulatory measures aimed at stabilising the economy would make it difficult for banks to make higher profit this year.

The Managing Director, Afrinvest West Africa Limited, an investment advisory firm, Mr. Ike Chioke, had said the reduction in banks’ fee income would make the year turbulent for the financial institutions.

He said, “It is going to be very challenging for the banking sector this year. You remember a gradual progression of the CBN trying to reduce the fee element that the banks do enjoy. The Commission on Turnover for example has been reduced from N5 to N3 and N1 per mille. By 2016, it will be reduced to zero.

“The CBN has also come up with a lot of measures to control the foreign exchange. All of these are taking away the fee incomes that the banks would ordinarily have enjoyed. So, I see that some banks will be in a place where their cost structure may be too difficult for the income generated to carry. So, they will have to find new ways to generate additional income.

“But trying to find new ways to generate additional income in an environment where there is declining revenue overall for the federal, state and local governments is going to be very difficult. It is going to be a depressed year for the banks.”

The Managing Director, Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria, Mr. Mustafa Chike-Obi, recently said falling oil prices would cause “serious economic headwind” this year and banks would be forced to record very significant increase in non-performing loans.

Chike-Obi said, “We can see that there is an economic headwind coming to Nigeria this year; and when the economic headwind comes, it will certainly impact on the Non-Performing Loans levels. So, we expect an increase in the NPL levels this year.”

Fitch Ratings had in a report released on October 8, 2014 said that although the banks’ NPLs were below five per cent as of last year, it would not be sustainable in the long run.
http://www.punchng.com/business/money/few-nigerian-banks-may-collapse-in-2016-report/
Re: Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by Nobody: 10:02am On May 04, 2015
Under every new CBN Governor, a few Nigerian banks must close shop. This seems to be the custom in Nigeria's economy for some time now. Soludo swallowed many of them in the pretext of bank consolidation. Sanusi sanitized the banks yet further. I remember Ocean bank. Oh, it is difficult to forget Intercontinental Bank; the bank that did not charge me any monthly management fee on my IPSA account until it was submerged and things fell apart. We do not know what the new CBN Governor will do with the remaining banks. Maybe he will sell them off or maybe Nigerians will start paying subsidy for their survival. Whether what our financial managers do is prompted by economic exigencies or informed by clandestine agenda is what many Nigerians do not know.

12 Likes

Re: Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by jascon1(m): 10:25am On May 04, 2015
Abeg list dem o make I go comot my money first

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by Adesiji77: 8:50pm On May 04, 2015
Failure of the so-called "few" could be very disastrous.

lalasticlala, FP things
Re: Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by coolcharm(m): 9:09pm On May 04, 2015
If the banks like, let them enter oblivion for all I care undecided

They don't help small businesses and startups with loans;
their corporate social responsibility is is almost zero;
They don't assist in mortgage;
Infact, they don't do nothing other than collect our monies and charge COT on our accounts.

They only give mega loans to the Dangote's and Adenuga's.

So if it becomes a bad debt, that's their fvucking business sad

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by Nobody: 9:09pm On May 04, 2015
dis is y i deal with d biggest banks
Re: Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by hotgunz(m): 9:10pm On May 04, 2015
List d banks pls my money ni koko
Re: Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by Nobody: 9:10pm On May 04, 2015
Oil price falls.....economy falls....bank fails.

Nigeria has to get off oil.

6 Likes

Re: Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by mrphysics(m): 9:10pm On May 04, 2015
only few? gmb is coming for new banks with gud services to emerge. if these ones can't cope. then they might collapse as well. I don talk my own
Re: Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by raziboi(m): 9:11pm On May 04, 2015
first bank....all De way!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by Damilare6293: 9:11pm On May 04, 2015
It will only affect 'the weak' banks...
Re: Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by Ayo001: 9:11pm On May 04, 2015
APC...
Re: Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by Nobody: 9:11pm On May 04, 2015
This is not a good news at this time when people are struggling to make a living.

1 Like

Re: Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by thefakestan: 9:12pm On May 04, 2015
No way

APC will change that

Oby Ez. And Soludo to the rescue
Re: Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by EagleScribes: 9:12pm On May 04, 2015
Let there be a cleansing! Some banks are not fit to be called banks, just call them financial institutions.
Re: Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by jetsetgo: 9:13pm On May 04, 2015
There is a systematic unorderliness in the banking and bigger financial sector. There is money everywhere in this country dormant and untapped and horded by a few lunatics.
What we are experiencing is a byproduct of extreme looting... Funds meant to go from point A to B end up in C and we are talking indices and numbers like sense dey the sector! Our banks cant generate any revenue because their default condition is 'Cut Costs' not 'Improve Profits'.

1 Like

Re: Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by Sapphire86(f): 9:13pm On May 04, 2015
Zenith had beta make the cut even though my gtb account is up and running
Re: Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by Nobody: 9:13pm On May 04, 2015
thank God for Australia banks
Re: Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by Aromas: 9:14pm On May 04, 2015
No matter how its, First Bank is unshakable also Zenith and GT Banks. Others dunno about them

1 Like

Re: Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by falseman(m): 9:14pm On May 04, 2015
I dey suspect Skye Bank . I need to remove my money sharply Team GTB

1 Like

Re: Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by UnknownT: 9:16pm On May 04, 2015
Make dem tell us the banks oh, b4 some people money go follow fold

1 Like

Re: Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by Profitsng(m): 9:16pm On May 04, 2015
Waiting to see end results.
Re: Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by Jarchi(m): 9:17pm On May 04, 2015
Make i go comot my money for wema
Re: Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by allanphash7(m): 9:17pm On May 04, 2015
Na today?

Which work get job security before

Nonsense
Re: Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by rezzy: 9:19pm On May 04, 2015
Jarchi:
Make i go comot my money for wema

Abeg do quick

2 Likes

Re: Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by eduxerxes: 9:19pm On May 04, 2015
I'm telling y'all confidently that MAINSTREET bank and KEYSTONE bank will certainly close shop. ENTERPRISE may be acquired by a much robust bank.

Its not a prophesy, its a vision!

2 Likes

Re: Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by idee91: 9:20pm On May 04, 2015
Choi !!!
Massive sacking dey do press up o
Re: Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by Nobody: 9:21pm On May 04, 2015
hope fcmb and first bank no dey there?abeg list those banks for us.

1 Like

Re: Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by alaoeri: 9:21pm On May 04, 2015
Abeg make GTB & UBA no collapse oh make my money no enter voice mail.
Re: Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by Nobody: 9:21pm On May 04, 2015
And the lesson is......................Learn to move your money into investments. Even if no bank collapses, inflation, taxes, bank charges, etc will keep devaluing your money. N1million today will be worth N750K in the next five years. Be WISE!!!

8 Likes

Re: Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by Adesiji77: 9:24pm On May 04, 2015
eduxerxes:
I'm telling y'all confidently that MAINSTREET bank and KEYSTONE bank will certainly close shop. ENTERPRISE may be acquired by a much robust bank.

Its not a prophesy, its a vision!

Enterprise and Mainstreet Banks have already been acquired by Heritage and Skye Banks respectively.

Sorry, your vision is late in coming cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report by Nobody: 9:24pm On May 04, 2015
rezzy:

Abeg do quick
grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Learn Forex Trading (absolutely Free) / "Frustrating Queues @ ATM Centres" / Naira Hits ₦550 To A Dollar, EFCC Warns Banks Against FOREX Fraud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.