Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,964 members, 7,803,197 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 11:07 AM

I Hate Miracles: A Short Story - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / I Hate Miracles: A Short Story (1655 Views)

To Hate And Love(story That Touches The Heart) By Adaobi Marianne / I Hate To Love Him / Pleasure And Pain - A Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Hate Miracles: A Short Story by Laphtarjay(m): 11:39pm On May 04, 2015
Hello...

Let me start by saying that this is neither a sermon nor its opposite, or else I would not be posting it in this section. It is indeed a work of fiction which I hope you'd enjoy.

Have you ever been in a situation where you badly needed something to happen very quickly but got disappointed?

Or was there something that could have happened to turn things around and place you in a better seat but refused to happen?

For most of us out there I guess our answers would be a 'yes' and may therefore not find it difficult relating with the lead character in this story.

***This writing is purely fictional and a product of the author's imagination. Any resemblance of persons or situations in the story with real life ones is undoubtedly coincidential.***

And please note that this work is the intellectual property of the author and you sure don't want to STEAL it!

Constructive criticisms, questions and other contributions are welcome.

Please ENJOY!
Re: I Hate Miracles: A Short Story by SuperSuave(m): 11:44pm On May 04, 2015
[size=16pt]ok[/size]
Re: I Hate Miracles: A Short Story by Laphtarjay(m): 11:48pm On May 04, 2015
Update's almost here...
Re: I Hate Miracles: A Short Story by Laphtarjay(m): 11:55pm On May 04, 2015
PROLOGUE

“Yeee…aaa….aaah! Please don’t…”

As if he was deaf, he disregarded my plea but instead picked up a rag nearby and gagged me with it. I am sure he would have used a duct tape too if he got one.

“You just try make another silly noise there and you get yourself choked up.”

He was such an unsettling figure and was reeking like a distillery.

As he spoke, he flashed a penknife in my face and I consequently went stiff out of fear.

In my mind, I was ardently pleading for him to stop whatever he was doing or was going to do to me. But he never stopped.

At that moment, I could only wish to become the powerful Samson, shake off the cords that fastened me to the bedpost and crush my assailant to pulp and escape.

But those were very difficult wishes that no powerful genie might be able to grant.

His weight was beginning to stifle me.

Moreover, I had lost a great deal of energy to several rounds of unrewarding screaming and wriggling in the hope to be free.

He was getting a little impatient now. He hurriedly unbuttoned his shirt and flung it away like it was a piece of trash and with more edginess, he started tugging at the zippers of his trousers. The half-naked piece of cake before him was turning his head faster than imaginable.

The more I stared at his horribly hairy chest, the weaker I grew. The shock of what was happening was gradually paving way for an unusual feeling; a queasy feeling of one who would soon swoon.

I had relinquished the power to put up any fight because of the hopelessness of it. I instead mustered the little strength in me to do one silly thing; the same worthless thing I had done countless times without success. And that thing that I did was to wait for a miracle that would never come.

The thought of it incensed me but what more could I do? I had tried screaming and fighting but they did not pay off. What was there to lose anyway? Maybe angel Miracle would come and get me for the first time in his lifetime.
Re: I Hate Miracles: A Short Story by marenx: 12:44am On May 05, 2015
Although I don't really understand your focus, I hope this is a very good piece, but you're forcing yourself to write like an esayist or a journalist, using big words, which never work in fiction or modern story telling.

I am also a bad writer and recently discovered it is because I wanted working alone. When we join hand to help each other everyone would like to read our art.

All big words like relinquish, muster, etc, has no place in your piece.

Try to make that second to the last paragraph look so simple like this:

I ignored fighting. Having no hope, I did one silly thing; the same thing I'd done on a regular, which was to wait for a miracle.

In fact pity your readers and make all the piece look so simple.

Remember Hemingway.
Remember Raymond Caver.
Remember Chimamanda Ngozi Edichie.
Re: I Hate Miracles: A Short Story by Laphtarjay(m): 1:06am On May 05, 2015
marenx:
Although I don't really understand your focus, I hope this is a very good piece, but you're forcing yourself to write like an esayist or a journalist, using big words, which never work in fiction or modern story telling.

I am also a bad writer and recently discovered it is because I wanted working alone. When we join hand to help each other everyone would like to read our art.

All big words like relinquish, muster, etc, has no place in your piece.

Try to make that second to the last paragraph look so simple like this:

I ignored fighting. Having no hope, I did one silly thing; the same thing I'd done on a regular, which was to wait for a miracle.

In fact pity your readers and make all the piece look so simple.

Remember Hemingway.
Remember Raymond Caver.
Remember Chimamanda Ngozi Edichie.
I'm very happy finding someone who has paid enough close attention and won't keep the observation to themselves. Thanks a lot. I'll work on it starting from my next update and I hope you'll clealy see my line of thought from the next update.
Won't mind helping out too when occassion demands.
Re: I Hate Miracles: A Short Story by marenx: 11:12am On May 05, 2015
Laphtarjay:

I'm very happy finding someone who has paid enough close attention and won't keep the observation to themselves. Thanks a lot. I'll work on it starting from my next update and I hope you'll clealy see my line of thought from the next update.
Won't mind helping out too when occassion demands.

You're welcome!

The aim of joining hands or making a writing group is to exchange views. You may be thinking when you use simple words your writing won't sound mature, but the way you see your writing is different from the way your audience see it. Remember your audience include different kinds of people with different kinds of knowledge and experience. So the best way to communicate with them is to be neutral, that means don't be too simple and don't be too difficult.

I will send you a link through email if you'd like to read "The Cathedral" by Raymond Caver. You'll see how a fiction writer is neutral.
Re: I Hate Miracles: A Short Story by Laphtarjay(m): 1:49pm On May 05, 2015
marenx:

You're welcome!

The aim of joining hands or making a writing group is to exchange views. You may be thinking when you use simple words your writing won't sound mature, but the way you see your writing is different from the way your audience see it. Remember your audience include different kinds of people with different kinds of knowledge and experience. So the best way to communicate with them is to be neutral, that means don't be too simple and don't be too difficult.

I will send you a link through email if you'd like to read "The Cathedral" by Raymond Caver. You'll see how a fiction writer is neutral.
Thanks once again. My e-mail is laphtarjay@yahoo.com. I would love to read it.

I've also read some works and essays by George Orwell and noticed his emphasis on simplicity of language.

I'm really not a fan of jaw-breaking words; a reason why I don't enjoy some educated elites' undue display of linguistic 'over-sabi'.

I think I'm still a work-in-progress and will work more on it.

**Effective communication is what matters.**

THANKS!
Re: I Hate Miracles: A Short Story by Ollyfad(f): 8:58pm On May 05, 2015
since someone already mentioned the 'oyinbos' no need....better by updates. keep progressing....waiting for updates ooo. i gats know who hates miracles!(if such person exists)
Re: I Hate Miracles: A Short Story by Laphtarjay(m): 10:51pm On May 05, 2015
Update comes up shortly. Thanks for following...
Re: I Hate Miracles: A Short Story by Laphtarjay(m): 11:51pm On May 05, 2015
"I Hate Miracles" CONTINUED...

ENJOY!

Whosoever it was that held the control button of my life was obviously using it to amuse themself. My life was a dice being tossed to and fro and some person up there was watching and getting pleased.

Life has hardly ever treated me well. Some months before my birth, my father died. The fate of an unborn child then lied in the hands of a poor, feeble and helpless woman. Even before birth, I already carried a tag: ‘the fatherless baby’.

The little things I knew about my father were those mama told me when I didn’t let her rest. Also, the portrait she was always carrying about told a lot about what the man who was my father looked like.

I remembered the look on her face and her show of emotion on a particular day when I asked her to tell me about my father.

It was on a weekend, and we were both seated around a table in our low-cost room.

“Oyin, why are you being confrontational like this? One thing is clear: you have a father. You know that quite well.

“Mama, I know I’m not a bastard. Only that I just want to know some things about who he was. You’ve always said you would tell me about him when I’m grown.” I said.

“So, are you grown now abi?” she asked, tickling my ears playfully.

“Yes o. I’m fourteen now. I’m no longer a baby o.”

“Well,” she hesitated, then continued, “OK, no problem. After all, he is your father.”

“Thank you mama.”

“Your dad was a very good man.” She paused and looked at me.

“Mummy…ha…ha, that’s the same thing you always said about him.”

“OK, OK… I’ve heard you.” She adjusted her wrapper before continuing, “We met in 1995 when he was in the university and I was learning hairdressing. The same house he rented was where my oga’s shop was. I can’t really say how it started but I remember how he would come and play with us in the shop. He was a very funny man and loved children a lot. Babies would stop crying when he carried them. He was the nicest man I ever met. Being a girl brought from the village to learn some craft in the city, I was drawn by his charm. He was unlike any man I knew from the village. And not long from then, he started introducing to me to every of his friends.”

I shifted in my seat and showed that I was attentive. Then she continued.

“I don’t know if such a resolute man still exists. His friends always made jest of him saying he was a loser for having his eye on a village illiterate girl like me. They always told him that he has no future with me but he never listened. Even his parents were not in support at all. His father would always remind him that he didn’t send him to school only for him to end up with my kind of girl and waste all his investments. But none of them could dissuade him in any way.”

She stopped for a moment, then told me to go and get her a cup of water. As I stood up, I noticed the look on her face. She was getting more emotional as she narrated. Even though I was young and knew very little about love and relationships, I couldn’t help feeling for her somehow.

**More updates soon...**
Re: I Hate Miracles: A Short Story by Ollyfad(f): 8:50pm On May 06, 2015
uhm! more updates coming soon......how soon is this soon
Re: I Hate Miracles: A Short Story by Laphtarjay(m): 9:12pm On May 06, 2015
Ollyfad:
uhm! more updates coming soon......how soon is this soon
Tomorrow hopefully.
Re: I Hate Miracles: A Short Story by Ollyfad(f): 2:46pm On May 10, 2015
Laphtarjay:

Tomorrow hopefully.
this is already three dsys after that tomorrow ooo. cobwebs don begin grow for this place.
#takes broom and starts cleaning thread
Re: I Hate Miracles: A Short Story by Ollyfad(f): 6:29pm On Jun 01, 2015
laphtarjay!! wia is d update dat z coming soon m bk fully ooo beta come nd update else...

(1) (Reply)

Danielle Steele Fan Club / Damsal's Scary Tale / Where Can I Buy These Books In Owerri?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.