Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,334 members, 7,780,873 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:37 AM

Photos: How To Prevent Being Cheated By Your Mechanic - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Photos: How To Prevent Being Cheated By Your Mechanic (1460 Views)

5 Ways To Know Your Car More Than Your Mechanic / Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit / Photos: How To Calculate Fuel Consumption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Photos: How To Prevent Being Cheated By Your Mechanic by AutosBay(m): 9:49am On May 05, 2015
“Ooh, this car has started misbehaving again. If I take it to my mechanic now, he will say it’s a new fault. I’m tired of this car joor”. This is a common phrase many car users in Nigeria are familiar with. Every other week, cars go in and out of automobile mechanic shops for one reason or the other, and with this a lot of cash exchanges hands. In Nigeria, there are several types of auto mechanics, from the roadside ones, to the people who just have a shed, and then we have the really well designed auto mechanic shops which have the baking room, lounge and many more fun stuff. With annual imports of vehicles and 2014 having a recorded 1.4 trillion Naira spent of vehicle imports, it is estimated that about 10% of that was spent on vehicle repairs, which is approximately 140 billion Naira. In this share of 140 billion Naira, a large percentage does not go into the repairs of vehicles but  rather, the money collected from some fraudulent automobile mechanics, who claim its either one fault or the other that is wrong with your car. With this in mind, we decided to look into the world of automobile repairs, and identified a few steps which could be taken to prevent being cheated by automobile technicians, and on the long run, give you satisfaction.

Re: Photos: How To Prevent Being Cheated By Your Mechanic by AutosBay(m): 9:50am On May 05, 2015
Have basic knowledge of your car

“Ignorance is bliss”, that’s what they say. But, sometimes, that ignorance might cost you a large sum of money. It would be terrible if your car only had electrical faults and your mechanic tells you that you need to replace your engine. Always read online articles regarding symptoms about your car, and what sounds/signs they would make if a certain part has an issue. We do not say that you would be an expert  in automobile repairs, but you would be able to challenge your mechanic on some issues regarding cars. This is not to say that you know everything wrong with your car, because many times, automobile mechanics can identify faults better than normal vehicle owners.

Re: Photos: How To Prevent Being Cheated By Your Mechanic by AutosBay(m): 9:51am On May 05, 2015
Insist on original vehicle parts, and confirm their prices

Vehicle owners sometimes opt for the option of either used or fake vehicle parts, because the original parts are more expensive. Automobile technicians would convince you to buy fairly used ones, because they are original, or tell you to buy lower grade ones because they would perform just as good as the original ones. It is true that original vehicle parts are more expensive than the lower grades, but those original ones would prevent further repairs. The fairly used parts might have their own issues already, while the counterfeit parts might not work properly, thereby affecting other vehicle parts.

Re: Photos: How To Prevent Being Cheated By Your Mechanic by AutosBay(m): 9:53am On May 05, 2015
Know the situation of your car before handing it over to a mechanic

Basic things you could check on the car could be the mileage on the odometer, and you could also ask that you have a full list of all the faults the vehicle has before handing it over. You could also tell the mechanic to point out the issues on the car while he inspects them, to have a better understanding of what is wrong with the vehicle. Furthermore, in the event that any repairs you were not aware of should be done, you should be notified, and that any parts being replaced should be kept.

Do not pay for repairs that were carried out without your consent

This would hardly ever occur, because Nigerian mechanics do not like to lose money. But in the event that a mechanic tells you that they made a repair which was not stipulated in your initial agreement, do not pay for it. In many cases, those faults are non – existent and they are just looking for ways to make money off people.

1 Like

Re: Photos: How To Prevent Being Cheated By Your Mechanic by AutosBay(m): 9:53am On May 05, 2015
Try out other mechanics/ask people how much they spend on vehicle repairs/maintenance

Variety they say is the spice of life. In the event that you feel that your mechanic is too expensive, ask other vehicle users how much they spend on their vehicle parts and maintenance. Also, you could try out new mechanics, and see if their services are cheaper and better than your regular mechanic.

NOTE: The vehicle you drive might actually cost a lot more to service and repair than other vehicles, so that should be put into consideration.

1 Like

Re: Photos: How To Prevent Being Cheated By Your Mechanic by AutosBay(m): 9:55am On May 05, 2015
Purchase a vehicle diagnosis machine

Initially, when these machines were introduced into the Nigerian automobile market, they actually did cost a fortune. But, the good news here is that there are smaller and cheaper machines which would assist vehicle owners know what is exactly wrong with their vehicles.

Source: http://www.carmudi.com.ng/journal/how-to-prevent-being-cheated-by-mechanic/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=NG_journal&utm_content=donotgetcheatedbythemechanic&utm_term=20150504

Re: Photos: How To Prevent Being Cheated By Your Mechanic by buygala(m): 10:00am On May 05, 2015
How I make sure my mechanic never messes with me:
embarassed

I put Nigerian Army logo on my windshield, a khaki bulletproof jacket on my driver's seat, and tell him in passing how I and 'my boys' manhandled a mechanic who just replaced my original spark plugs with fake ones smiley

1 Like

Re: Photos: How To Prevent Being Cheated By Your Mechanic by Nobody: 10:52am On May 05, 2015
Mechanics somtimes perform trials on ur car bf they finally diagnose d problem. i no blame them sha
Re: Photos: How To Prevent Being Cheated By Your Mechanic by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:17pm On May 05, 2015
Don't be a smart ass when you are at ur mechanics, if not you might be surprised how little you know when it comes to tricks. Try and strike a balance and don't be rude.

2 Likes

Re: Photos: How To Prevent Being Cheated By Your Mechanic by DGD1(m): 5:55am On May 06, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
Don't be a smart ass when you are at ur mechanics, if not you might be surprised how little you know when it comes to tricks. Try and strike a balance and don't be rude.

1. pray God leads you to the trustworthy ones

2. never try to short pay him trying yo play smart(fake parts, cos he wont bear the loss)

3. never act big man before them (money is not a problem mentality, and you are still a hustler)

4. always stick to manufacturer's specification of fluids (engine oil, coolant, transmission etc)

Re: Photos: How To Prevent Being Cheated By Your Mechanic by DECOtech(m): 8:50am On May 06, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Very valuable point
Re: Photos: How To Prevent Being Cheated By Your Mechanic by lonelydora: 11:11am On May 06, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

That's just the simple truth. Most times I play novice on issues just to know how truthful he is.

(1) (Reply)

World Best Selling Car, Toyota Corolla Is 50 Years Old / This Floating Electric Car Can Withstand Flood & Was Born From Tsunami Tragedy / Which Of These Two Hot Yellow Vehicles Will You Prefer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.