Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,884 members, 7,806,548 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:08 PM

Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler (35117 Views)

President Buhari Meets With Ministers And Governors In Aso Rock (Photos) / Rahama Babangida, Ex-military Ruler's Daughter Stuns In New Photos / "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by lalasticlala(m): 9:07pm On May 05, 2015

Nigeria’s president-elect, Muhammadu Buhari, has met one of the journalists jailed by his military regime nearly 30 years ago.

Tunde Thompson was imprisoned in 1984 under the notorious Decree 4 of the Buhari military government.

Alongside his colleague, Nduka Iraboh, at the Guardian newspaper, Mr. Thompson became one the faces of the regime’s iron-fisted rule, a case repeatedly referenced during Mr. Buhari’s campaign for March 28 election.

Mr. Thompson said ahead of the polls that he had forgiven Mr Buhari. He later worked as part of the former military leader’s media team.

At a meeting Tuesday in Abuja, Mr. Buhari praised the journalist for rising above his jail experience to forgive and support him, saying what happened under his military regime was one of the challenges of that period.

The president-elect also commended members of his campaign media team led by Shehu Garba for running a very “decent media campaign” despite the vigorous hate campaigns mounted against him by the Peoples Democratic Party.

Mr. Buhari, who received members of the team and “Social Media Influencers” at the Defence House, Abuja on Tuesday, was full of praises for the APC Presidential Campaign Media & Publicity members.
“I want to commend you especially for two things. First, is the decent media campaign you conducted. Despite the PDP’s dirty tactics, you stayed focused on issues and avoided the temptation to sling mud.”
The president-elect praised INEC for deploying technology as part of the process of the last election with the use of PVC and Card Readers.
“We must commend Nigerians who believe in our message of change and INEC for introducing Card Readers and PVC,” he said.

“All elected leaders will now know that the voter is the king. Nigerians now have more faith in our elections because their votes will count.

“If not for PVC and Card Readers the PDP as usual would have written the results and asked losers to go to court.

How can people who are struggling to survive go to Court and get money to pay the SANs of this world. We must thank God for the success of this election.”

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/182487-buhari-meets-journalist-he-jailed-as-military-ruler.html

18 Likes

Re: Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by AndreRose(f): 9:07pm On May 05, 2015
Probably the journalist was jailed because he lawfully used his journalism position to dissipate information to the people which Buhari saw as a threat to him and jailed the journalist. Yes, Buhari has apologised but this is the same thing that can be presumed to have happened recently; the AIT has been warned from televising some things about him. What's the way forward for our journalist? Are they still gona have their freedom of information as enshrined in the constitution after may 29?
And again,look who is talking about the dirty tactics of PDP like he didn't use Bokoharam to put GEJ off. And minors equally voted in the north. Is that what you call a "decent campaign"?
Jonathan was decent enough, despite being the president he conceded, would Buhari had done that? We all know the answer.

65 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by Nobody: 9:10pm On May 05, 2015
I hope they visited him with otapiapia

e dey kill mosquito e dey kill coacroach e dey kill rat come see as e dey work e dey work well well

rat poison

10 Likes

Re: Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by tinuolababy(f): 9:10pm On May 05, 2015
Yeah.

Thank God o. People r watching Juventus v Real Madrid. I quickly booked space cheesy grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by Princessonelove: 9:12pm On May 05, 2015
picture or it didn't happen.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by Pinkiedearie(f): 9:16pm On May 05, 2015
Thank God they came out of the jail alive..

*actually this is to make up for the AIT saga..

1 Like

Re: Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by missbehave247(m): 9:17pm On May 05, 2015
Sai Buhari always on point

15 Likes

Re: Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by Misogynist2014(m): 9:17pm On May 05, 2015
Noted
Re: Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by Uncleodi(m): 9:18pm On May 05, 2015
Ok

“If not for PVC and Card Readers the PDP as usual would have written the results and asked losers to go to court.!!!

Like seriously?? Was it not under the watch of GEJ that the so called electoral reforms were made? Even Obj wouldn't have accepted such electoral reforms.

Jonathan is a good man. He never wanted to Rig the election from day 1.. if not, u and I know that as commander-in-chief, he had the power to higher and to sack.

Pls let's not make a long case out of this.

Even with the numerous underage voters in the north, PDP still did not go to court...now, that's maturity!!!

All we want is a better Nigeria. Jobs for our youths. My father's 1976 brand new eighteen thousands Naira car is still on the road till today. Why can't the youths of these days buy brand new cars without Yahoo-Yahoo?

This is not a time to score cheap political point or enrich the pockets of the Judiciary, but a time to rise up to the challenges of many Nigerians who can't see food to buy talkless of living above one dollar.

I my opinion, GMB should withdraw all Nigeria's money from foreign accounts, share it to the 170 million Nigerians at the rate of one million Naira per person, let's see if we won't be prudently industrious.

#teamfightcorruption

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by englishmart(m): 9:18pm On May 05, 2015
who didn't he jail? He almost jailed me, but I wasn't born then

38 Likes

Re: Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by Henrypraise: 9:20pm On May 05, 2015
Reconciling wit d past is a gud step to moving forward.

I honestly hope Buhari does well n better.

M not a fan of Buhari neither m I a fan of Jonathan. M after a better Nigeria!!!!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by Dygeasy(m): 9:21pm On May 05, 2015
Where and how did he meet him? Haven't they been working together all the while? Part of Buhari's team? Okay. What then are we talking about?

Has he met Fela's Family? What about Tai Solarin's family?

6 Likes

Re: Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by Nobody: 9:21pm On May 05, 2015
Please tell me,, To Jail and To Execute, which one is better... I beg buhari, jail anybody jailable but don't execute any Nigerians

8 Likes

Re: Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by Nobody: 9:21pm On May 05, 2015
englishmart:
who didn't he jail?
He almost jailed me, but I wasn't born then

same here bro...

i was d reason Asa sang d jailer song

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by omenka(m): 9:23pm On May 05, 2015
Watch how the children of pain, misery, hatred, anger and anguish still come here to criticise the President-Elect over this event.

30 Likes

Re: Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by adedam007(m): 9:23pm On May 05, 2015
G
Re: Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by holatin(m): 9:23pm On May 05, 2015
Mr. Thompson said ahead of the polls that he had
forgiven Mr Buhari. He later worked as part of the
former military leader’s media team.

wao and some protection seeking hungry fool Ve been ranting with decree 1 to 59 on Nairaland, if Jim nwobodo, Thompson and co can bury the hatchet.

Who are you ? the nonentity political prostitute.

even buhari himself said the reason why he war against some journalist

he

said
we cannot stop the press from criticizing
people or institutions. But please, let them
have investigative journalism. Let them try
and verify facts before they accuse
government of offence and others of
misdemeanor to spoil their names and repu­
tations.”

Abeg play me THE CHANGE WE WANT by olamide

21 Likes

Re: Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by Nobody: 9:23pm On May 05, 2015
justfollowit undecided
Re: Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by phyllosilicate(m): 9:23pm On May 05, 2015
SAI BABA Please reform NYSC so they can start sending Corpers to Dubai cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by aare07(m): 9:24pm On May 05, 2015
Buhari should meet our Change
Re: Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by emmanuelcrawler(m): 9:24pm On May 05, 2015
okay!!!! bring in the next newz plzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by emmanuelcrawler(m): 9:25pm On May 05, 2015
mmmm
Re: Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by sukkot: 9:25pm On May 05, 2015
many peeople chop beans in jail under buhari regime. badt guy grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by 1stola: 9:25pm On May 05, 2015
Good.
Time to settle their old differences...
Re: Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by MzJackBaueress(f): 9:25pm On May 05, 2015
Dygeasy:
Where and how did he meet him? Haven't they been working together all the while? Part of Buhari's team? Okay. What then are we talking about?

Has he met Fela's Family? What about Tai Solarin's family?
how many questions are you asking and who's going to answer it all?

7 Likes

Re: Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by ademega(m): 9:26pm On May 05, 2015
Good of him
Re: Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by Profitsng(m): 9:26pm On May 05, 2015
Following...
Re: Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by Nobody: 9:27pm On May 05, 2015
Hmm, forgiveness
Re: Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by BIBblacboy: 9:28pm On May 05, 2015
angryna so so
Re: Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by deloon(m): 9:29pm On May 05, 2015
APC used dirty tactics too.
The "Social Media Influencers" group is proof.

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by yomalex(m): 9:30pm On May 05, 2015
Hmm
Re: Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler by Nobody: 9:31pm On May 05, 2015
deloon:
APC used dirty tactics too.

Mention them

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Governor Aregbesola Wearing A School Uniform / Cameroonian Soldiers Chase Nigerians Out Of Bakassi (Photo) / NLC To Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal And Increase In Petrol Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.