Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,114 members, 7,807,357 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:43 PM

Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? (3195 Views)

How To Locate Business Ideas Or Business Opportunities / Do You Need Business Ideas Or Want To Know About Stock Market? / Nigerian Themed Wears!pls Any Ideas Or Tips Welcome (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by freelance(m): 10:38am On Sep 11, 2006
Sometimes i just think which is more important. Some times people have very good ideas but have little or no capital. While some people have all the capital and yet no idea. Which do you think is more important.

To those that have capital and no idea. Pray and think hard for good ideas and if still no idea, then finance people that have good ideas. Partner with them and be co-owner of the business.

For those that have the ideas but with little or no capital? Try and break the ideas into smaller components and take it bits by bits. And then take it bit by bit.

Let me illustrate with my example:
[list][li]I have a dream to own a big investment Corporation and be the next Warren Buffet.Inshort a business empire. But at first it seemed very impossible. So i also used the method above. Started by collecting money from friends and family members using good will and investing their money for them.Gave them at a fixed interest rate. Later i pay them the agreed some @ the agreed time. I have been doing this for a while with a friend and a partner that shares the same vision with me. Step by step but slowly and surely. That has being ok, just made sure we never defaulted and ensured investors funds was safe. Atimes we never even made money but we still went on.

Next step. We have been conducting studies on investment clubs and hopefully if everything is set will launch it soon. Gradually you know that you are taking a step closer to your dream and the vision gets clearer day by day[/li][/list]

Why am i saying all these. Just to say that its good to dream big but ensure you break those dreams into very small bits and start taking a step and bit @ a time. And gradually you gain the experience and stamina to achieve the big picture.

Hope I communicated something to someone. Wish you all the best in nairaland because i believe you guys are lovely people. Take care all and see you all @ the top. And remember i said this am the next Warren Buffet by the God's grace.Never forget the place of God because without him we are nothing.So God has 2 remain number 1 in your plans.

Nairalanders back to my question. Which is more important. Ideas or Capital?
Re: Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by Seun(m): 11:32am On Sep 11, 2006
You can think of your ideas as part of your intellectual capital and as such the two can't really be compared. Even if all you have is capital in the traditional sense (finance), you can use that money to buy ideas or hire people that have ideas. If forced to choose, I guess I'll have to choose capital over ideas. The ideas I have now are enough!
Re: Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by kg(f): 2:16pm On Sep 11, 2006
When you have money and you need an idea-  Idea becomes really important

When you have the idea and you need money-  Money becomes really important

So what's important to you per time can only be determined by you!

I'm a firm believer in the fact that if you have a solid idea you believe in and you don't have money, search deep within you again and again and you can still produce another idea that will finance your previous idea. I think that's what you're doing.

Wish you all the very best.
Re: Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by mela(f): 2:38pm On Sep 11, 2006
nawao! i don't need any idea for anything.
what re u saying sef?,nna for me oo i will surely
go for capital and every other things
including d idea na jaara.
Re: Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by bolaoni(m): 6:23pm On Sep 11, 2006
I have always held on to this saying:

"Nobody has a money problem but an idea problem"

Money is important, but it is not the only thing. With an idea, you can bring in a lot of capital.

Does starting small make anysense to anybody? cool
Re: Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by smartsoft(m): 3:46am On Sep 12, 2006
I read and i laugh, why some people who get rich is because of ideas they got, why some people steals someone's idea because they got the capital to run it

Do you know the number one reason that stops people from getting what they want? It's lack of Focus. People who focus on what they want, prosper. Those who don't, struggle.

Then What do you say about people who has vision huh ? my broder who says he wants to be the next Warren Buffet i pray God opens you eyes you can only be yourself

I don't want to be like somebody i can only envy and not be like the person you see if God open you eyes and see what those great personalities pass through before they made it huh, i bet you will tell God that nah, i don't want to suffer like them.

Pastor Enoch Adeboye never woar a shoe for ten good years only with foot alone, Bishop oyedepo read his history and also read well this man Warren Buffet in nutshell i can only be myself you don't sleep with vision you run with vision.

I'm one of those peeps who got alotta ideas but no capital but i have learnt to take one by one i'm actually using one now see at times your ideas you bost of having don't be suprise that someone else also has the same ideas, it all depends on you look at yours and figure them out.

The last word you can only climb a ladder to be a leader.

Thank you.
Re: Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by freelance(m): 8:50am On Sep 12, 2006
Smartsoft i get what you are saying but of cuz am going to be myself. There is never going to be another me and that i know. But i get there is nothing wrong in having role models. Even great pastors talk about other great men of God before them . I have being in canaan land and Bishop Oyedepo spoke about Kenneth Haggins and Dr Oral Roberts. I can never be Warren Buffet but would always be my humble self but he is like a role-model to me. Great men read the autobiograhies of other great men.
Its also very good to act fast on your ideas cuz in a country of over 150 million people there could be lot of other people with the same ideas.
God those not take us year by year or month by month. But he takes us day by day, step by step.
I appreciate the contributions so far

You will succeed
So Take Charge
Re: Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by waleleader(m): 9:01am On Sep 12, 2006
@seun, i disagree with your point. Ideas are far more important than finance, all the great men of today started with little or no capital. ill give u a familiar example, a guy named Seun Osewa, guess u know him. Even the bible says that a man who excels in his work will make him to stand  Kings and not fools.

Seun:

The ideas I have now are enough!
And how you contradict yourself, you just said the ideas you have is enough, that means you had it in the first place and it has brought you thus far and will surely take you farther. I know you can buy ideas if u have money, but what if the idea-guy leaves your organisation, the whole thing will kaput. Ill definitely go for ideas
Re: Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by smartsoft(m): 10:07am On Sep 12, 2006
yah, i do attend winners and i hear him alotta say something about kenneth haggins, What i will always put in mind is a word of bishop, you must climb a ladder to be a leader, keep it real man freelance
Re: Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by dipotepede(m): 10:12am On Sep 12, 2006
@ Walelead

I will choose money over idea.

All I need is one value-skill called leadership (especially Participatory Type of Leadership Style). If I master this skill; I would know how to buy and draw ideas from people especially talented Nigerians and Indians who most of the times are blinded by poverty.

Ability to recognize a great idea and usurp such idea to your purpose requires the skill of great leadership. You need to know how to manage money and increase it exponentially.

This is the only skill required; this is what great companies use; this is the new fad of making enormous money.

IF MTN CAN BUY EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO "WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE" THEN ONE MUST RETHINK STRATEGIES OF MAKING MONEY FROM THE SCRATCH.
Re: Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by Kajiang02(m): 10:50am On Sep 12, 2006
Both stands very essential & necessary,bt i strongly blive dat who's gat no thinkin,reasoning ability, shld b equaled 2 a fowl(ave)
A journey of a thousand miles begins wit just 1 step & a next, next,
The standing Idea shuld b Basic cos Nobody is eva gonna run ur firm without errors even if he;s doin his best, or even turn out 2 b ur own boss,
i tink d idea, is d 1st step 2 walk, then d money eventualy comes, smiley
Re: Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by waleleader(m): 10:58am On Sep 12, 2006
@dipotepede, leadership is a skill that can be obtained through the study of Management. Management skills are a form of idea (i think we should replace the word "idea" with "intellect"

From my interpretation, you just said that if you dont have management ideas, you will misuse finances, that means youre still voting for ideas as a better option to capital
Re: Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by nico(m): 12:31pm On Sep 12, 2006
I have money but I don't have any ideas
I don't need any ideas because somebody has been paid to think for me
and invest my money for me
(which is not good for my reality)
Re: Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by Seun(m): 12:36pm On Sep 12, 2006
@nico: If you don't understand the ideas your business is based on, your employees will cheat you. It's much better to pay people to teach you the ideas you need than to pay them to think for you.
Re: Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by bolaoni(m): 12:50pm On Sep 12, 2006
I'm not sure he has a company. Me thinks he is an investor.

Nico which one are you? cool
Re: Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by nico(m): 1:52pm On Sep 12, 2006
I inherited Companies and alot of money, from Grand-dad and my Dad who died on a plane Crash
And because I'm under age, my Mum and my Nigerian Step-Dad appointed a board of trustees to run the Companies and invest my money for me until I'm 18.
The downside is I don't know how much I'm worth.
One of the Board of Trustees was fired for forging  checks.
Re: Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by ladenz(m): 2:21pm On Sep 12, 2006
Good Afternoon my dear young man. Actually I was supposed to have met you long time ago but I have been very busy. You see I work for EFCC but you must tell anybody belong I belong to the SSS section. In case you don't know the FBI have been investigating your inheritance. We felt it was necessary to protect you since you are a Nigerian citizen and our job is to protect all Nigerian citizens except those who cause trouble For Baba. In order to be able to give you all the protection you need you will need to furnish me with the following details; your bank a/c no., your signature, your passport photograph and a token of N50,000 to enable me carry out the necessary transactions. Should you have any doubts about anything don't hesitate to contact me onigbese419@yahoo-yahoo.com cool

Moderator's Note: This is saire. it's a joke. He is joking. Get it now?
Re: Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by kg(f): 6:37pm On Sep 12, 2006
ladenz:

Good Afternoon my dear young man. Actually I was supposed to have met you long time ago but I have been very busy. You see I work for EFCC but you must tell anybody belong I belong to the SSS section. In case you don't know the FBI have been investigating your inheritance. We felt it was necessary to protect you since you are a Nigerian citizen and our job is to protect all Nigerian citizens except those who cause trouble For Baba. In order to be able to give you all the protection you need you will need to furnish me with the following details; your bank a/c no., your signature, your passport photograph and a token of N50,000 to enable me carry out the necessary transactions. Should you have any doubts about anything don't hesitate to contact me onigbese419@yahoo-yahoo.com cool

Nico, don't even pay attention to this guy, his email address says it all.

Money, idea any which way - I ready, I dey kampe
Re: Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by dipotepede(m): 8:26am On Sep 13, 2006
@ walelead

idea is not the same thing as skill-set. Skills are learnt, idea is inspired based on opportunities, experience, etc

The question is idea or money?

But one can see that learning a skill to usurp ideas as an idea. Well, I think I am getting confused!

Walelead, u are right, u need the idea first but after that you don't need any more idea (well, according to me).
Re: Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by yahoo2(m): 9:17am On Sep 13, 2006
In my own opinion I think idea is the best. If you have capital and no idea, people will probably be taking your money on the pretext that they will get you a very good idea that you can invest on. You must realize anyone who has idea is looking for capital himself with which to finance his ideas and so he will not get you the best form of the idea. He is only interested in your money. When you have ideas, and you have a burning desire coupled with faith then one way or the other, you will raise the capital you need. One way of getting through with an idea is keeping quiet until you arrive with your product otherwise someone else whom you shared it with because of capital may go ahead and execute it and claim the patent for it. wink
Re: Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by waleleader(m): 11:30am On Sep 13, 2006
@dipotepede, you have made the right choice, welcome to the band of idealist. grin

lets see, who can i convince next? i should be a preacher-man grin
Re: Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by poske(m): 12:34am On Sep 15, 2006
Hello lets consider this, a lot of people are made or can be made if they consider where they are now.

Let me break it down, with this formula you can do great expoits all rights reserved.

These are the main reasons people are made if they consider these things first

Geographically:

Assets = Location
Idea/Opportunity = US/Europe/Africa

Time= Africa/Asia

Money/Finance = US/Europe/Asia

So where are you and how can you make good use of these factors? And cover up for what you dont have. Please note that all parties can benefit from any asset they have at any time as far as they use it well. wink
Re: Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by my2cents(m): 4:33am On Sep 17, 2006
this question reminds me of a situation that used to happen atimes in the dining hall during my secondary school days grin

A little history: we used to hv a thing called "wildlife", where if within a certain time, enough students didnt show up to eat, the dining hall prefect would say "I declare wildlife" thereby letting the few students present in the dining hall take all the food they can lay their hands on. Of course, the ones outside wd notice the commotiion and rush in for their share as well.

Here is where I answer the question of this post cool If it were a day we ate eba and soup, some students would take the basin of eba, while others would rush for the pot of soup. Me and my friends used to hv "strategy meetings" where we discussed which was best to take. In the end, it was decided that its best to take the pot of soup. Y? If u took the soup, at least you could drink it. If u took the eba, u hv to find someone with a pot of soup who is also willing to share the soup with you.

My point? Ideas (eba) are important. However, without the soup (capital), your ideas are at best, stuck in your head. So if your lot in life at the time is such that you have a lot of eba, u r to convince someone with soup that your eba is not only the right texture but will be enough for both of you to share and be "belle full" grin

In the states, the biz is called venture capitalism. Thatz how the silicon valley companies of the dot com era got off the ground. They approach those who had the money, pitched their ideas and hoped to get a sponsor. Of course, once u got the financing, you split a certain percentage with the venture capitalist. I don't know how it would work in Naija sha.

Okay, I am off my soapbox now grin
Re: Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by freelance(m): 11:42am On Sep 18, 2006
Nice one my2cents, your wildlife in your school reminds me of massacre in my secondary school. Then we enjoyed massacre so far we were the ones in the dinning hall tongue. I really appreciate the contributions so far and must confess that in a way it really also depends on your location.
Thanks poske. Abroad i have heard and read cases where individuals sold ideas to corporations and made good money. People sell concepts to advertising companies and the likes and make a fortune out of it.
But also capital/money i think was someone's idea.
In Nigeria things are really different and most people just want the money because the richest people now in Nigeria are mostly the peole without ideas but too much money. But Guess what?
Things are going to change very soon.
[center]IDEAS WILL SOON RULE THE WORLD[/center]

Bright ideas anyone?
Re: Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by Afam(m): 1:45pm On Oct 12, 2006
@My2cents,

Let me share this as you already know the plan.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As the world is going digital with more and more time spent on pcs than on tvs for business and entertainment, it seems that the future belongs to the web application that people like.

As youtube earned $1.6B from google in less than 1 year it seems that all one needs is a good idea and proper marketing.

I took a good look at youtube and was able to replicate (code a similar program) the site in less than 72 hrs.

Now, it is not the coding that is the problem, it is the ability to make the application useful and used by the intended users.

Here is what I intend to do and any comments (constructive and/or destructive) are welcome.

A web application with a single sign on that will enable Nigerians use either for business or for pleasure.

This application will cover

events - users can add event announcements, edit or delete same, will be searchable

schools - users can add their schools, search for friends on the schools section

blogs - users can set up personal blogs and share their diaries with whoever cares to read

jobs - users can post cvs, search for jobs, employers can add job openings

forum - a categoried forum covering so many topics

album - users can create albums and share pictures online

video - users can post videos (size will be limited) afterall a lot of people now use video enabled handsets without really sharing the videos they take

classifieds - a simple business classifieds section

directory - business directory, fully categorised

online payment solution - to tidy up the issue of online business, the programming time needed to do (just like paypal) is really not too difficult when compared to some of the tasks above.

Remember, all that one needs is a single login to add, edit, delete or conduct searches for people while visitors can view pictures, videos, forum, events etc.

Any comments on this plan? The programming side isn't a problem, the marketing and usefulness is.

Are there tasks that Nigerians would readily want to accomplish online effortlessly?

Funding will be sourced internally while revenue will depend heavily on adverts (afterall companies will advertise anywhere that prospective customers are).

Cost implications will include hardware (servers, lots of disk space), reliable internet connection, backup and marketing/advertisi ng,

I am not really interested in replicating any model as something unique yet simple and easy to use will sell well over just copying a model somewhere.

It is not difficult to figure out why Microsoft is making so much money, write software once and use over and over again while smiling to the bank.

NB: Still on the issue of stealing ideas, I believe that without the necessary skills any stolen idea is a complete waste of time. This why I can broadcast the idea, only those with the necessary skills to put these things together in a cost effective manner can really benefit from the idea.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++===
Re: Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by waleleader(m): 1:54pm On Oct 12, 2006
wonderful idea Afam, get it started and nigerians will flock on in numbers, trust me,
just customise it for nigerians, and make sure the webname is simple and easy to remember.cheers
Re: Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by tellmemore(m): 3:07pm On Oct 12, 2006
Seun you have spoken well.
Re: Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by Seun(m): 8:59pm On Oct 12, 2006
Since they are both absolutely necessary, one can't honestly say that one is more important than the other.

It's like asking whether the sperm of the egg is more important in human conception. They are both necessary!
Re: Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by Afam(m): 1:40pm On Oct 13, 2006
@Walelead,

Thanks. Do not really have a choice now than to develop this.

@Seun,

You are begiining to sound like an Abuja politician, which one is Since they are both absolutely necessary, one can't honestly say that one is more important than the other.?

I will take it that you now believe that money is not more important and at the same time you don't want to agree that ideas are more important. Take a stand, there is no middle ground. The topic didn't ask for a 3rd option, just 2.
Re: Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by diyobdw(f): 8:31am On Oct 17, 2006
Idea is more important.
if an idea is in a really good packaging; in terms of serious securing it, developing and proposing a goldmine. you would get out in 6 digits. and even royality
Money with no idea would by idea but not own the idea.
They might flow together, but originality never fades and can not be bought!
Re: Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by Seun(m): 4:03pm On Oct 17, 2006
Here's my third answer to this question: the most important one is the one you lack!! smiley

If you are born into money but lacking in ideas, then ideas are more important. If you are like me and you spend all your time analysing various ideas and your head is overheating already, then money is more important.
Re: Ideas Or Capital: Which Is More Important? by freelance(m): 5:15pm On Oct 19, 2006
i believe nobody has a money problem but an idea problem. The quality of success you will attain is related to the quality of your ideas. So pray for ideas that are inspired from God that would never expire. If you work and pray hard on your ideas, it would just be a matter of time, you will break through. There is something in each of us that the world whole needs now. Its your duty to find it, develop it and give it a commercial value. You will succeed.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Much Does A Gram Of 18 And 21karat Gold Jewelery Costs? / Procedures For Pounded Yam Flour. An Opportunity To Make Money. / Recharge2cash Helps You Convert Your Airtime To Money In 5 Minutes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.