Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,070 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:18 PM

Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration (22824 Views)

Photos Of IGP, Ibrahim Idris In London With High Powered Delegates / High Powered Air Force Delegates Visit Gov Shettima Over IDP Camp Misfire. PICS / Buhari Sends Delegation To Abuja Bomb Blast Scenes (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration by argon500: 6:09pm On May 06, 2015
International interest in Nigeria’s political transition and the planned transfer of power from the Jonathan-Sambo presidency to the Buhari-Osinbajo presidency billed May 29, has risen in the United States as President Barack Obama now considers sending a high-powered U.S. to the event, officials said Wednesday.

U.S. government sources said that Mr. Obama is considering who might lead the American representatives at the event.
Besides, at least two US ivy universities-Harvard and Yale – have since held special review sessions where scholars were invited from around the U.S. and the world to give lectures and seminars on the outcome of the Nigerian elections, focusing on the emergence of a former military head of state, who is a Moslem from the North of Nigeria, and a Christian pastor, who is a law professor from the South as president-elect and vice president-elect respectively.

Three names are already being mentioned in official US and diplomatic circles including Obama’s wife, the American First Lady, Michelle, Vice President Joe Biden and the Secretary of State, John Kerry, as the head of the presidential delegation. From the U.S. Congress also, some of the senior members are said to be planning to attend the event including the Chairman of the US House of Representatives Sub Committee on Africa, Congressman Chris Smith.

The U.S. President normally announces a delegation to the presidential inaugurations of friendly nations being led by the Ambassador in that country. But in rare occasions, he picks very senior public officials as the head of delegation when he wants to underscore and emphasis a point of how the US highly regards the country or the circumstances at a given point in time.
Nigeria’s Ambassador to the U.S., Ade Adefuye, said, “I have been told that there would be an unusually large American delegation that will attend the presidential inauguration on May 29.”

He confirmed to journalists on Wednesday that he has also been told that a very senior member of the U.S. government is expected to lead the delegation, but that there was no confirmation yet.
The Nigerian Ambassador said he has been in consultations with the U.S. State Department on the matter, adding that President Goodluck Jonathan has already extended an invitation to the U.S. government.
“We are following up with the US government to ensure a very large US presence at the inauguration,” the Ambassador said Tuesday in Washington DC.

Mr. Adefuye explained that “Nigeria’s profile has been on the rise since after the election, the concession by Jonathan, and with the smooth transition that is going on”.
From the U.S. government to the business sectors and think tanks, the level of excitement about the anticipated peaceful transfer of power in Nigeria and the outcome of the elections itself producing the Buhari-Osinbajo ticket from an opposition party, APC, has been quite widespread.
Some of the U.S. groups that have been showing keen interest to attend the inauguration and pressuring the U.S. government to send a very high-powered delegation are the Atlantic Council, and the Constituency for Africa-groups known to be very influential in Washington DC.
A U.S. State Department source noted that after the elections, feelers were sent out to business groups, think tanks on interests in attending the Nigerian inauguration, and the “feedback has been very encouraging,” said the source.

At the Yale University over the weekend, a group of theologians-the Oxford Study Group on World Christianity had their annual meeting and participants disclosed that the Nigerian election was one of the major discussions this year.

A top U.S. Professor who attended the meeting said the Study Group composed of leading scholars from around the world who considered it significant that the Nigerian elections produced a Pentecostal pastor as Vice President to a Moslem, who had earlier been perceived not to be religiously pluralistic. Last month also, the Washington Post had published a report on its faith pages on “How a Pentecostal Law Professor Has Helped Reshape Nigerian Politics.”
Earlier Harvard Africa-American Program had also held an academic review session on the Nigerian election further revealing how widely significant the issue has become here in the US.

Source: http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/182514-obama-to-send-high-powered-delegation-to-buharis-inauguration.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

5 Likes

Re: Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration by EdCure: 6:12pm On May 06, 2015
They are most welcome.

Thank God we got rid of Jonathan in this historic election that has become a reference point to political pundits around the world..

58 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration by MzJackBaueress(f): 6:16pm On May 06, 2015
General Muhammadu Buhari has become the most respected man in the world.
I am so proud of him as my incoming President.
God bless Nigerians for bringing back our pride by voting him.
cool cool

182 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration by kodded(m): 6:16pm On May 06, 2015
#BabaOneChance

Yo Wahh ! cool

21 Likes

Re: Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration by temitemi1(m): 6:17pm On May 06, 2015
Keep dreaming...
MzJackBaueress:

cool cool

59 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration by TheOtherview: 6:20pm On May 06, 2015
A certain NL conspiracy theorist is not going to like this. cheesy

No prizes for guessing who this is... grin

20 Likes

Re: Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration by BeeBeeOoh(m): 6:21pm On May 06, 2015
#Babamustfulfilhispromises

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration by MzJackBaueress(f): 6:21pm On May 06, 2015
TheOtherview:
A certain NL conspiracy theorist is not going to like this. cheesy

No prizes for guessing who this is... grin
Genbuhari abi?

I am waiting for him to come spew jargon about his useless conspiracy theories.

8 Likes

Re: Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration by MzJackBaueress(f): 6:23pm On May 06, 2015
temitemi1:
Keep dreaming...
General Muhammadu Buhari my HERO!

General Muhammadu Buhari my ROLE MODEL!!

cheesy cheesy

lalasticlala my best super mod. grin

front page please!

59 Likes

Re: Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration by Boscojugunu(m): 6:24pm On May 06, 2015
Now am proud to be a NIGERIAN..... GOD BLESS NIGERIA. GOD BLESS GMB

26 Likes

Re: Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration by TheOtherview: 6:28pm On May 06, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
Genbuhari abi?

I am waiting for him to come spew jargon about his useless conspiracy theories.

Where you see positive recognition, that individual sees a poisoned chalice. angry
Let's see what his latest set of classified files reveal...

7 Likes

Re: Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration by MzJackBaueress(f): 6:30pm On May 06, 2015
TheOtherview:

Where you see positive recognition, that individual sees a poisoned chalice. angry
Let's see what his latest set of classified files reveal...
I have told him to change his moniker but he wouldn't listen. I have seen any nairaland member as deluded as him.

I am waiting for his next conspiracy theory!

2 Likes

Re: Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration by temitemi1(m): 6:44pm On May 06, 2015
Dream onnnnnnnnnnnnn...
MzJackBaueress:
General Muhammadu Buhari my HERO!

General Muhammadu Buhari my ROLE MODEL!!

cheesy cheesy

lalasticlala my best super mod. grin

front page please!
Re: Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration by Nobody: 6:46pm On May 06, 2015
We don't need America.

6 Likes

Re: Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration by ichidodo: 6:46pm On May 06, 2015
All these for an illiterate nomad from Daura?? Maybe they hope to shift Nigeria's foreign policy gaze from East to West....Let us wait for China and Russia's response.But with thieffnubu's penchant to harbour stooges and becoming a stooge himself to the West and Hausa fulani especially given his burgeoning influence in the incoming govt,it is going to be a tall order for the Oriental superpowers.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration by Ilekeh(f): 6:46pm On May 06, 2015
Hmmm Nigerian fishermens no go like this whale (news) o

7 Likes

Re: Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration by efilefun(m): 6:46pm On May 06, 2015
Nobody is ready to mingle with failure. All this special visits and rep given to Buhari is really hurting some group of people deep down, just like the one ranting like a sex starved mosquito below me

NA here we go see TANoids, a new thread is on FP and none of them could comment at all, na here una dey flex muscle

https://www.nairaland.com/2298063/pdp-heading-self-destruction-mark

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration by SeverusSnape(m): 6:46pm On May 06, 2015
[size=13pt]Why won't they send??.... Besides, Their puppet has been installed.[/size]

19 Likes

Re: Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration by Pebcak: 6:47pm On May 06, 2015
grin grin grin grin
MAY 29 time to TURN UP....................
[img]http://i./ukq1RCrNX8iDS.gif[/img]

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration by okooloyun1(m): 6:47pm On May 06, 2015
love change hate transformation

1 Like

Re: Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration by BlackPeni5: 6:48pm On May 06, 2015
Useless America that refused us help during the height of insurgency

3 Likes

Re: Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration by aieromon(m): 6:48pm On May 06, 2015
Great news, depressing news for some people though

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration by Nobody: 6:48pm On May 06, 2015
Part of the discussion of the so called high power delegation will be GAY MARRIAGE!
Seun get ready to marry ayo.

19 Likes

Re: Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration by alaoeri: 6:49pm On May 06, 2015
GMB what a presidential stuff respected by all unlike the outgoing ogogoro drunken master.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration by Ayietim(m): 6:49pm On May 06, 2015
Let us audaciously believe in a greater future.

The world respects and rewards TIME, SEASON and ORDER. So, in order to succeed, you must have the ability to;
Know when to wait, know when to walk and know when to run. The earth doesn't tolerate inactivity, it's always rotating and rewarding action takers. You must know how long to wait, so that you don't for a reward that will never come, you must know the distance to walk so that runners going to the same destination don't overtake you and, you must know how hard to run, so that you don't run out of gas and faint a long way before the finished line.
http://ayietim.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration by VIPERVENOM(m): 6:50pm On May 06, 2015
kodded:
#BabaOneChance

Yo Wahh ! cool
I had no shoes - Goodluck Jonathan

that's true definition of one chance

bye bye #ogaonechance

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration by iyatrustee(f): 6:51pm On May 06, 2015
Nigeria shall rise again!

We shall regain our pride in the committee of nations

9 Likes

Re: Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration by AndreRose(f): 6:51pm On May 06, 2015
Saw this coming. They want to remind him to sign the guy bill in person and they term it to honour his inauguration.
#CunnyAmericans.
Re: Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration by 1stola: 6:51pm On May 06, 2015
Okay o...
This one wey Amelica carry us put for head, [size=28pt]HOPE WE ARE SAFE [/size]

11 Likes

Re: Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration by richidinho(m): 6:52pm On May 06, 2015
MzJackBaueress:

cool cool

My sis don't be deceived by their respect
America gives cap and take away ur head

We are watching Shaw

**shines eye**

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

EFCC: Metuh Has Cases To Answer, Says His Alarm Was Unnecessary / Photo Of Goodluck Jonathan At Oxford / Benue APC Zonal Caucus Meetings Turns Bloody, Many Feared Dead, Injured (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.