Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,887 members, 7,802,860 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:37 PM

A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (55409 Views)

Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken / Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Touchforfree(m): 6:57pm On May 07, 2015
mulattoclaro:
1. Aduge is an Edo dialect spoken by the people of Kwara State, Oyi LGA.

2. Degema is an Edo dialect spoken by the people of Rivers State, Degema LGA. Dialects are Atala, Usokun (Kala Degema).

3. Engenni (Ngene, Egene) [ENN]. Rivers State, Ahoada and Yenagoa LGAs. Dialects are Ediro, Inedua, Ogua.

4. Epic (Epie-Atissa) [EPI]. Rivers State, Yenagoa LGA.

5. Isoko, Delta State, Isoko and Ndokwa LGAs.

6. Iyayu (Idoani) [IYA], Ondo State. One quarter of Idoani town speak this dialect. The people are sometimes called "Idoani ".

7. Okpe (Oke), Delta State, Okpe LGA. Distinct from Okpe-Idesa-Oloma-Akuku which is Northwestern Edoid.

8. Okpe-Idesa-Oloma-Akuku [OKP], Edo State, Akoko-Edo LGA. Dialects are Okpe, Idesa, Oloma, Akuku. Oloma may be a separate language different from Okpe which is Southwestern Edoid.

9. Uhami (Ishua) [UHA], Ondo State, Akoko South and Owo LGAs.

10. Ososo [OSS], Edo State, Akoko-Edo LGA.

11. Sasaru-Enwa Igwe (Sasaru) [SSC]. Edo State, Akoko-Edo LGA.

12. Urhobo. Delta State, Ethiope and Ughelli LGAs. Dialects are Agbarho, Isoko.

13. Uvbie (Evhro, Uvhria, Uvwie, Evrie, Effurun). Delta State, Ethiope LGA. Related to Urhobo.

14. Ukue-Ehuen (Ekpenmi, Ekpenmen, Epinmi) [UKU] including Ehuen, Ukue, Ondo State, Akoko South LGA. Dialects are Ukue, Ehuen. Crozier and Blench 1992 treat Ukue and Ehuen as separate languages.

15. Uneme (Uleme, Ileme, Ineme) [UNE]. Edo State, Etsako, Agbazilo and Akoko-Edo LGAs. Ghotuo-Uneme-Yekhee.

16. Yekhee (Etsako, Etsakor, Afenmai, Iyekhee, Kukuruku). Edo State, Etsako, Agbako and Okpebho LGAs. Ghotuo-Uneme-Yekhee. Dialects are Auchi, Uzairue, South Ibie, Uwepa-Uwano (Weppa Wano), Avianwu (Fugar), Aviele, Ivhiadaobi.

17. Ikpeshi (Ikpeshe, Ekpeshe) [OKP]. Edo State, Etsako LGA.

18. Ghotuo (Otwa, Otuo) [AAA]. Edo State, Owan and Akoko-Edo LGAs.

19. Ivbie North-Okpela-Arhe [ATG]. Edo State, Etsako and Akoko-Edo LGAs. Dialects are Ivbie North (Ibie North), Okpela (Okpella, Ukpella, Upella), Arhe (Atte, Ate).

20. Esan (Ishan, Isa, Esan, Anwain) [ISH]. Edo State, Agbazilo, Okpebho LGAs. Dialects are Ekpon, Igueben. Many dialects are apparently inherently intelligible.

21. Edo (Bini, Benin, Addo, Oviedo, Ovioba), Ovia, Oredo and Orhionmwon LGAs.

22. Emai-Iuleha-Ora (Kunibum, Ivbiosakon) [EMA]. Dialects are Ivhimion, Emai, Iuleha, Ora, Edo State.

23. Eruwa (Erohwa, Erakwa, Arokwa) [ERH]. Delta State, Isoko LGA. Related to Urhobo. Most speakers are bilingual in Central Isoko which is replacing Eruwa. Not intelligible with any Isoko dialect.

24. Okpamheri (Opameri) [OPA]. Edo State, Akoko-Edo LGA. Dialects are Okulosho (Okurosho), Western Okpamheri, Emhalhe (Emarle, Somorika, Semolika). Sub dialects of Okulosho are Ojirami (Eekunu), Dagbala (Dangbala), Oja (Oza), Makeke (Uuma), Oma. Sub dialects of Western Okpamheri are Ekpe, Bekuma, Lankpese (Lampese, Lankpeshi), Ibillo (Ibilo) Imoga (Imorga, Uma), Eko (Ekon, Ekor), Ikaran-Oke (Ikeram-Oke), Ebunn-Oke, Ikaran-Ele (Ikeran-Ile), Ebunn-Ugbo, Ikpesa, Igbo-Ola-Sale (Ugboshi-Oke), Onumo (Onumu), Ogugu, Ogbe-Sale, Ogbe-Oke. Emhalhe may be a separate language.

Hmmmmm !

1 kilometer is another language so says Evin Edna Ogoli Ogosi.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 6:59pm On May 07, 2015
Noneroone:
At the mention of Biafra...grin

There is a big difference between Edo(SS) and Biafra..simple..Abi na by force?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by opeaceo: 7:03pm On May 07, 2015
eghuan1:

I wanted to point out this issue before I saw your writing. as an ekpon person, I don't understand how people keep claiming Ekpon language to be an Edo dialect. why not claim agbor, and the Ika speaking places to be an arm of the benin kingdom? the fact that Ogbemudia made a political mistake and our people allowed the mistake to stand, one overzealous benin man will come and claim ekpon language to be an Edo dialect. compare agbor language with ekpon and then compare ekpon with esan and see the difference.
I quite agree with you even though I'm not so grounded in the history of ekpon as a whole, but then again, ekpon and esan don't sound similar at all, even though I haven't heard the agbor dialect.

1 Like

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by eghuan1(m): 7:06pm On May 07, 2015
opeaceo:

I quite agree with you even though I'm not so grounded in the history of ekpon as a whole, but then again, ekpon and esan don't sound similar at all, even though I haven't heard the agbor dialect.

are you from Ekpon?
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by opeaceo: 7:07pm On May 07, 2015
eghuan1:

are you from Ekpon?
Yeap
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Bloggz74(m): 7:09pm On May 07, 2015
Where's IKA people in Igbanke area of edo state?

1 Like

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 7:10pm On May 07, 2015
I hate that lame classification especially done by the yorubas and ibos classify us as yorubas..dumbheads

akthedream:
That is true..they can't even live together without qualms..I don't know why majority of them are trouble makers..Only some of them that were born and grew up in the city reason well sometimes...I tire for them o...what pains me most is that other people regards Edo and the rest of the SS as Igbo.that thing dey pain me no be small.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 7:11pm On May 07, 2015
Bloggz74:
Where's IKA people in Igbanke area of edo state?

Like the Ekpon, they do not speak an Edo dialect.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by mulattoclaro(m): 7:15pm On May 07, 2015
dennismukoro:
U DONT KNW ANYTHING ABOUT THE URHOBOS AND OKPE WHICH ARE SAME. THOUGH EDO AND DELTA ARE TOGETHER IN OLD BENDEL. BUT THE BENIN POPULATION IS NOT NEAR THE URHOBOS WHICH IS THE 5TH LARGEST IN NIGERIA. SO OP STOP DRINKING ORIGIN.
it's obvious that if there's anyone who should stop drinking it has to be you. What you just said should be moved to the joke section and see the replies you'll get. Who dash Urhobos 5th largest in Nigeria? Binis in Nigeria and in diaspora if calculated are over 7 million. Are Urhobos more than the Ijaws or even the ikwerres in total population? Are Urhobos more than the Tiv people of Benue? Don't allow tribal sentiment becloud your sense of reasoning. Urhobos that are not more than 2 million in total population are the people you want to compare with the Binis whose empire stretched to lagos and as far as benin republic. Urhobos have always been slaves to the binis and they'll continue to remain slaves.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by philusaau(f): 7:17pm On May 07, 2015
EKPOMA BOY HERE

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 7:17pm On May 07, 2015
exthar87:
I hate that lame classification especially done by the yorubas and ibos classify us as yorubas..dumbheads

..lol..Had it been we have good leaders in this country..I don't think anybody will care about state of origin...though some people are born bigots and will do anything no matter how you try to satisfy them to cause some trouble ..
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 7:19pm On May 07, 2015
Our brothers from the east..
akthedream:
..lol..Had it been we have good leaders in this country..I don't think anybody will care about state of origin...though some people are born bigots and will do anything no matter how you try to satisfy them to cause some trouble ..

1 Like

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by sunsplash99(m): 7:22pm On May 07, 2015
Buchukwu:
Enough of all this south south, south west jargon, Edo people are Biafrans.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by slapandfall(m): 7:23pm On May 07, 2015
NigerMan1:

Yes you are right. But just correct him, his is 100% valid and historically true. In fact the EDOID dialect far extended than he listed

W̶̲̥̅̊ђA̶̲̥̅t I mean exactly is that I cud only spot out Okpebho L.G.A cos I'm from edo central.

So I may not know of odas since ♍Ɣ scope doesn't Я̲̅ε̲̣̣̣̥ɑ̤̥̈̊lƔ cover apart from central.
Some of our dialect is even spoken in some areas of far portugal and brazil.. I'm very aware of dat. #welldone bro.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 7:24pm On May 07, 2015
exthar87:
Our brothers from the east..
lol...you get am..I just don't know what they gain from trouble..most of them are very hard to please...give themm your house to stay and they will do everything to turn it to theirs in some years time...they are the only tribe in Nigeria that always claim other people's land apart from the fulani herds men.

2 Likes

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by BiniShrine(m): 7:25pm On May 07, 2015
:DAre u for real? I. Rep 10 too. Okhe (Ososo)
jeremiah505:
Na we be number 10... Team #Ososo...
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Onozboy(m): 7:26pm On May 07, 2015
Buchukwu:
what is this one saying ..... undecided

1 Like

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by slapandfall(m): 7:28pm On May 07, 2015
[quote author=sunsplash99 post=33517776][/quote]
God forbid the devil.. Ⱥ♏Ǽ₪.. * Sign of the cross*
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by sniper77(m): 7:29pm On May 07, 2015
kennygee:
My colleague is from Warake
Warake from OWAN EAST L.G.A

2 Likes

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by slapandfall(m): 7:30pm On May 07, 2015
Onozboy:

what is this one saying ..... undecided

Don't mind him.. He jst excaped from yabaleft.. He shud be caught and returned there b4 mao mrnin.. Dnt wori

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 7:34pm On May 07, 2015
Lol..
akthedream:
lol...you get am..I just don't know what they gain from trouble..most of them are very hard to please...give themm your house to stay and they will do everything to turn it to theirs in some years time...they are the only tribe in Nigeria that always claim other people's land apart from the fulani herds men.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 7:34pm On May 07, 2015
Not totally true. Igueben does not speak Esan. They speak a mixture of Bini and Esan.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by timilehing(m): 7:40pm On May 07, 2015
So all these dialects originate from Edo?? Where do Edo itself originates from??
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by martineverest(m): 7:40pm On May 07, 2015
U must be dreaming,bro...urhobo is pure edo language[quote author=dennismukoro post=33516834][/quote]
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 7:42pm On May 07, 2015
exthar87:
Lol..
abi..na patience person go just dey use follow them...we don dey the Naija together..lol
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by dania30(f): 7:51pm On May 07, 2015
Akoko edo(igarra). Dialect- etuno(igarra) smiley

1 Like

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Mzflexydeeva(f): 7:55pm On May 07, 2015
scholes0:
Many of these "Edoid" dialects are Dead or dying, especially all those in Ondo and parts of Edo North.
Even the chief language in the group, Edo/Bini is under threat......
Under threat by? undecided

1 Like

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by mulattoclaro(m): 7:56pm On May 07, 2015
martineverest:
U must be dreaming,bro...urhobo is pure edo language
Bros no mind am.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 7:57pm On May 07, 2015
Buchukwu:

lolz, who b this 1 ?.. a beg make una tell this drunkard say SS nor b Biafra, stop all this. attachment it won't help u, u said people re Biafra bt d people keep saying we re nt Biafra u nor go free us ?
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Mzflexydeeva(f): 7:57pm On May 07, 2015
Oba gha tokpe eeee! It's in my blood grin proudly Edo! kiss

3 Likes

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by lindiwey: 7:57pm On May 07, 2015
jeremiah505:
Na we be number 10... Team #Ososo...

Yess oo.. We Rock!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

RESULTS: Annual Nairaland State Census / Why Dead Bodies Are Buried Six Feet Under The Ground / Ooni Ogunwusi In All White At The Beach With His Boys (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.