Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,527 members, 7,808,907 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:14 PM

A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (55531 Views)

Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken / Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by NigerMan1: 10:29pm On May 07, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
Claiming Yoruba makes Edo great.

absoluteSuccess - that's an unfortunate statement from you. Why should an Edo claim Yoruba? Where in Yorubaland will I claim? And for what reason?

I believe the guy made a mistake for saying YORUBA. The right thing was to specify the part of present day Yorubaland, such as old EKO.

Stating past incidents and events is not same thing as CLAIMING!!!

Please take it, we should not argue or throw jabs over FACTS that happened centuries ago.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by scholes0(m): 10:33pm On May 07, 2015
saintaustine:
Please Which other Tribe In Nigeria Suffered Such Terrible Invasion like the Binis.

Almost all the major tribes
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 10:38pm On May 07, 2015
soonest:

Forgive that troll that started all these but must this be turned into an Igbo bashing thread? You can see some are already hyperventilating like rapid dogs

yes sist, sorry abt tat, don't b surprise tat guy is nt an Igbo guy, don't wanna mention tribe. so peace go reign. jst looking 4 way to create problem BTW SE/SS. let every region respect 1 and another, nt 1 region calling another region name. #sist I actually 8 it wen people call me Biafra, tat y d Edo people re angry I apologize on there behalf ....

look at wat happen abt Soyinka , me self I vex 4 d guy, bt later found out it was a lie, most people here shouting Igbo Igbo, here creating trouble 4 u guys may nt b Igbo....
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by chukxie(m): 10:42pm On May 07, 2015
opeaceo:

Yeap

I rep Ekpon ooooo. Eko, Idumodin Quarters. My maternal family's house is next to Eko Primary School. Aluaaaaa!
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by absoluteSuccess: 10:44pm On May 07, 2015
NigerMan1:

absoluteSuccess - that's an unfortunate statement from you. Why should an Edo claim Yoruba? Where in Yorubaland will I claim? And for what reason?

I believe the guy made a mistake for saying YORUBA. The right thing was to specify the part of present day Yorubaland, such as old EKO.

Stating past incidents and events is not same thing as CLAIMING!!!

Please take it, we should not argue or throw jabs over FACTS that happened centuries ago.
For the love of peace I want you to also stop claiming Eko, it is an Awori enclave and is not for sale. The man at the helm of affair can claim bini, but EKO belongs to Awori. I am an Awori, we came from Iseri, not bini.

1 Like

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by ElekeNtioba: 10:58pm On May 07, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
Claiming Yoruba makes Edo great.

Not when their clam is legitimate.

Btw, they are truly great, no empire down south was as powerful as d benin empire at its prime.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Bernardinho(m): 11:02pm On May 07, 2015
proudly ogugu(akoko-edo,okpameri

1 Like

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by JuanDeDios: 11:05pm On May 07, 2015
Radoillo:
Technically, Ekpon is not an Esan dialect. Even if the Ekpon ethnically identify as Esan.
Ekpon is an Esan dialect, in identification and indeed; the fact it contains a lot of Ika/Igbo words notwithstanding. That is only common with border areas.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by JuanDeDios: 11:08pm On May 07, 2015
phyllosilicate:
It would be better you put it as languages spoken in the old benin empire. Only the language Benin is called Edo.
I see you know nothing about this. Why not read and learn?
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by lexy2014: 11:09pm On May 07, 2015
Buchukwu:
Enough of all this south south, south west jargon, Edo people are Biafrans.
Omio me, Olegbe?
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by nurselala: 11:14pm On May 07, 2015
[quote author=dennismukoro post=33516834][/quote]
okpe is correct, when an esan person is speaking I can understand very well. there was a time I thought someone was speaking okpe in a public bus and I had to to ask him, he said no he's an esan person. I could interpret everything d guy was saying n my mum said something like that before that she can understand some Edo people.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by chukxie(m): 11:15pm On May 07, 2015
eghuan1:

I wanted to point out this issue before I saw your writing. as an ekpon person, I don't understand how people keep claiming Ekpon language to be an Edo dialect. why not claim agbor, and the Ika speaking places to be an arm of the benin kingdom? the fact that Ogbemudia made a political mistake and our people allowed the mistake to stand, one overzealous benin man will come and claim ekpon language to be an Edo dialect. compare agbor language with ekpon and then compare ekpon with esan and see the difference.

Good one, bro! You nailed it squarely! Ekpon language is a derivative of Ika language which is spoken in Agbor, Igbanke, Olijie etc. Although there are some elements of Esan words in it obviously because Ekpon stands right at the boundary between the Ika speaking communities aforementioned and the Esan speaking communities of Ewosa, Ewohimi, Ogwa etc. Ekpon language is to a great extent an Ika language and not an Esan language. By the way I'm from Ekpon. I rep Eko, Idumodin Quarters.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by JuanDeDios: 11:19pm On May 07, 2015
slapandfall:
@OP.. I don't think this is a valid argument..

In No 16, and 20, I can see Okpebho local govt Area and u said it is part of Edo.. That is untrue..

There is no such local government in edo state.

That has long bein changed since God knows when.

I am a pure Ishan boy.. Ewossa from Igueben LGA of Edo State.. AAU Ekpoma Bred..
You should aspire to improve your basic comprehension skills. The op is merely a listing of languages/dialects that come under the Edoid group - that is a "valid argument". Yes, this was obviously compiled before 1991 when Okpebho and Agbazilo started to be broken up into 5, but that isn't the point and takes nothing away from the thread.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by phyllosilicate(m): 11:20pm On May 07, 2015
JuanDeDios:

I see you know nothing about this. Why not read and learn?
must you insult before you make a point?
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by chukxie(m): 11:22pm On May 07, 2015
JuanDeDios:

Ekpon is an Esan dialect, in identification and indeed; the fact it contains a lot of Ika/Igbo words notwithstanding. That is only common with border areas.

Do you speak Ekpon? Or taken a deep study of the language and its etymology? Please do then come back and tell me if Ekpon is truly an Esan dialect. Thanks.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Jeffoo(m): 11:29pm On May 07, 2015
Buchukwu:
Edo is more closer to the south West than the south south
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by JuanDeDios: 11:31pm On May 07, 2015
mulattoclaro:
it's obvious that if there's anyone who should stop drinking it has to be you. What you just said should be moved to the joke section and see the replies you'll get. Who dash Urhobos 5th largest in Nigeria? Binis in Nigeria and in diaspora if calculated are over 7 million. Are Urhobos more than the Ijaws or even the ikwerres in total population? Are Urhobos more than the Tiv people of Benue? Don't allow tribal sentiment becloud your sense of reasoning. Urhobos that are not more than 2 million in total population are the people you want to compare with the Binis whose empire stretched to lagos and as far as benin republic. Urhobos have always been slaves to the binis and they'll continue to remain slaves.
You had to join in ruining your own otherwise great thread with your ethnic chauvinism and idiocy. Slave indeed.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by lexy2014: 11:31pm On May 07, 2015
klax:

Sometime people like you talk like a mad man or would I say you are a mad man already because what are we talking about and what are you saying just read your post and tell me the connection it has with the thread

May be you just coming out of where you go smoke igbo(weed) finish and find free megabits on the floor I guess.

Edo conquered the Yoruba the weirdest talk I have ever heard all my life truly igbo(weed) dey worry you honestly.
If u don't agree with what he said, d civilised thing 2do is 2 counter it with superior argument and facts. U can always marshal your points without insulting. With regards 2 what he said, some historical records support d claim that d bini kingdom stretched as far as present day lagos. It is said that it was d oba of bini at that time (Ewuare if am not mistaken) who called lagos Eko, which translates †☺ war camp
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by JuanDeDios: 11:33pm On May 07, 2015
phyllosilicate:
must you insult before you make a point?
No. But where is the insult? Point it out please. Thank you.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by optimisticmee(m): 11:39pm On May 07, 2015
Buchukwu:
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by pazienza(m): 11:41pm On May 07, 2015
NigerMan1:

It's mighty difficult to qualify the Ikwerres as Igbo as you would people from Awka. The Ikwerre people of today have mixed ancestry, reason many of them hate being called Igbo.

Mixed ancestry with what exactly?
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by JuanDeDios: 11:42pm On May 07, 2015
chukxie:

Do you speak Ekpon? Or taken a deep study of the language and its etymology? Please do then come back and tell me if Ekpon is truly an Esan dialect. Thanks.
I have long taken considerable interest in the language maybe because my biology teacher, who had an Esan name by the way, came from there. Agbedeh has more Esan words than Afemai but that doesn't make them Esan. Because of their history. You want to know why Ekpon identifies as Esan and is in fact Esan? Ask your old men about your history. As for the language, the Igbo words were acquired through ages of trade and association with Agbor. Agbor, by the way, is a mixture of Bini and Igbo but it's not considered an Edo language.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by manck3: 11:44pm On May 07, 2015

1 Like

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by pazienza(m): 11:49pm On May 07, 2015
Buchukwu:

You were obviously seeking for attention, which you got in abundance.

For all it's worth, no right thinking Igbo man would want to share a country with any non Ika-Igbo speaking community in Edo state. God forbid that we turn Biafra into another zoo by inviting divergent groups like we have in Edo.Ndiigbo are not on the same wavelength with the Edos, they should be on their own, they are not needed.

Only the Igbankes, the Ekpons, Inyelens, and other Ika speaking parts of Edo will be given a referendum to chose if they want to be a part of the Great Republic of Igboland. The rest of Edo people are strictly on their own.

5 Likes

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Beface(m): 11:50pm On May 07, 2015
NigerMan1:

Beface - you are mixing present political abracadabra with history that dates back thousands of years. Or recorded history since 800 / 900 AD.

The OP simply stated an historical facts, but unfortunately you younger generation are not brought to appreciate history, plus our leaders have used politics cum economic interests to relegate our collective historical past.

No wonder you qualified this as 'showing off'
I love history but am afraid i can't appreciate this historical fallacy. Mayb i did understand him very well,probably you will be the one to clarify things. 1)Some Edo villages that is been mention are descendant of IFE. it is obvious by their family Names e.g Oluwafemi,Owolabi, Akanni,etc. 2) Some of those villages does not speak Edo dialect.

2 Likes

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by pazienza(m): 11:52pm On May 07, 2015
JuanDeDios:

I have long taken considerable interest in the language maybe because my biology teacher, who had an Esan name by the way, came from there. Agbedeh has more Esan words than Afemai but that doesn't make them Esan. Because of their history. You want to know why Ekpon identifies as Esan and is in fact Esan? Ask your old men about your history. As for the language, the Igbo words were acquired through ages of trade and association with Agbor. Agbor, by the way, is a mixture of Bini and Igbo but it's not considered an Edo language.

It's the other way round. Ekpons are Ikas that became overtly influenced by the Esans in language and culture, so much that their original Ika dialect became diluted/ watered down by too many Esan loan words. But the basic frame of Ekpon remains Ika, a testament of her true origin.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by phyllosilicate(m): 11:53pm On May 07, 2015
JuanDeDios:

No. But where is the insult? Point it out please. Thank you.
I find it insulting for you to insinuate, I speak of what I am ignorant of. I am from edo state, grew up in Benin and know our history.

There is a difference between Language and dialect. For example, yoruba is a language and there are many Yoruba dialect. Edo is the language of Benin people. Estako, Ishan, Urobo, Isoko, Akoko Edo are not dialects of Edo language. if an Akoko Edo man speaks, a Benin man would not understand anything.

3 Likes

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nowenuse: 12:00am On May 08, 2015
dania30:
Akoko edo(igarra). Dialect- etuno(igarra) smiley

Pls, those saying Igarra is an edo language, it's not true.
Igarra (Etuno) is a dialect of the Ebira language of Kogi state. Ebiras have their origin in Kwararafa kingdom in present day Taraba state.

4 Likes

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nowenuse: 12:15am On May 08, 2015
ChristyG:
There is no place in kwara state where they speak any edo dialect.

ADUGE is an edoid language spoken in Kogi state and not Kwara.

Parts of Kogi state were formerly part of Old Kwara state and this is where the mistake came from.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Naomi Oluwaseyi Ogundamisi's Pre-Birthday Photo / Oba Of Benin And His Luxury Rolls Royce Spotted At An Event In Edo State. Photos / Queen Ola Badirat Ajoke Celebrates Her 31st Birthday (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.