Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,872 members, 7,802,808 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:09 PM

A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (55408 Views)

Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken / Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by pazienza(m): 12:16am On May 08, 2015
There is this PDF file on how Esan influence affected the Ekpons dialect and caused Ekpon language to be deviated from other Ika people.

Here is a Google link to that PDF fIle by Ehinze
http://www.google.com/m?q=Ekpon+and+Esan+by+ehinze.&client=ms-opera-mini-android&channel=new
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by mulattoclaro(m): 12:19am On May 08, 2015
pazienza:

You were obviously seeking for attention, which you got in abundance.

For all it's worth, no right thinking Igbo man would want to share a country with any non Ika-Igbo speaking community in Edo state. God forbid that we turn Biafra into another zoo by inviting divergent groups like we have in Edo.Ndiigbo are not on the same wavelength with the Edos, they should be on their own, they are not needed.

Only the Igbankes, the Ekpons, Inyelens, and other Ika speaking parts of Edo will be given a referendum to chose if they want to be a part of the Great Republic of Igboland. The rest of Edo people are strictly on their own.
the only thing you guys have achieved is being losers. I'm not surprised it's coming from someone from a tribe of thieves.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by pazienza(m): 12:24am On May 08, 2015
mulattoclaro:
the only thing you guys have achieved is being losers. I'm not surprised it's coming from someone from a tribe of thieves.

We don't want you in Republic of Igboland, aka Biafra 2.0, shouldn't you be happy? Do you feel bad that your group is of no importance to Ndiigbo, isn't that what you lots want, or could it be that you derive pleasure and group worth from the delusional feelings of thinking that Ndiigbo desire to share same country with you lots?

4 Likes

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Curlieweed: 12:47am On May 08, 2015
pazienza:

We don't want you in Republic of Igboland, aka Biafra 2.0, shouldn't you be happy? Do you feel bad that your group is of no importance to Ndiigbo, isn't that what you lots want, or could it be that you derive pleasure and group worth from the delusional feelings of thinking that Ndiigbo desire to share same country with you lots?

I find the attention seeking attitude quite sickening. You're not invited to a party but you keep screaming that you don't want to come. Biafra 2.0 must not contain even a single non-Igbo nationality, there is no need to create a smaller version of Nigeria. South Sudan should be lesson enough.

3 Likes

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by chukxie(m): 12:48am On May 08, 2015
JuanDeDios:

I have long taken considerable interest in the language maybe because my biology teacher, who had an Esan name by the way, came from there. Agbedeh has more Esan words than Afemai but that doesn't make them Esan. Because of their history. You want to know why Ekpon identifies as Esan and is in fact Esan? Ask your old men about your history. As for the language, the Igbo words were acquired through ages of trade and association with Agbor. Agbor, by the way, is a mixture of Bini and Igbo but it's not considered an Edo language.

Ekpon is part of the Esan kingdom because it has a lot of Esan elements in its culture, tradition and names. However linguistically speaking it's more Ika than Esan because 80 or more percent of its present language is Ika.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by scholes0(m): 12:52am On May 08, 2015
mulattoclaro:

CHISOS!! shocked shocked
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 1:48am On May 08, 2015
Esan oye! Born in U.S. but my dad's from Ekpoma and my mom is from Esan Central.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Tjakes(f): 2:08am On May 08, 2015
Proudly Okpameri - Akoko Edo
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Asiwaju9ja(m): 2:21am On May 08, 2015
vb0mb:
Igarra(Etuno) Akoko-Edo

Asu tuo shi. Anebe Onovi

1 Like

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by omohanet(m): 2:23am On May 08, 2015
Am proud to b Etsako man, my language is Yekhee
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Ozjames(m): 6:16am On May 08, 2015
Wrong info..... Edo is diffrent. Fro kwara deltaa and other
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by BiniShrine(m): 6:21am On May 08, 2015
Great!!! An also form 0soso(Okhe). Osland is d best!!
saymax:
Nice one op! I represent Ososo!
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 6:59am On May 08, 2015
Buchukwu:
Whats the difference?
same difference between SE and SW..you gerrit?
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 7:04am On May 08, 2015
soonest:

Ok now you have recruited other SS? I laugh. Abeg shove your hatred down your throat. We are not the cause of your woes. Tell me all these your putrid bile, does it reduce the price of garri
Igbo and garri are like bread and butter..lol
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 7:11am On May 08, 2015
soonest:

Ok now you have recruited other SS? I laugh. Abeg shove your hatred down your throat. We are not the cause of your woes. Tell me all these your putrid bile, does it reduce the price of garri
not hating bro...just some real bitter truth bro.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by ChristyG(f): 7:12am On May 08, 2015
mulattoclaro:
it's obvious that if there's anyone who should stop drinking it has to be you. What you just said should be moved to the joke section and see the replies you'll get. Who dash Urhobos 5th largest in Nigeria? Binis in Nigeria and in diaspora if calculated are over 7 million. Are Urhobos more than the Ijaws or even the ikwerres in total population? Are Urhobos more than the Tiv people of Benue? Don't allow tribal sentiment becloud your sense of reasoning. Urhobos that are not more than 2 million in total population are the people you want to compare with the Binis whose empire stretched to lagos and as far as benin republic. Urhobos have always been slaves to the binis and they'll continue to remain slaves.
those who have any bini ancestry in them is the eleko royals(which is now very small due to mixing with yorubas)the aworis dont ave any bini ancestry in them..can u pls explain the benin rep cos that also sounds as fake the kwara own's
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by ChristyG(f): 7:20am On May 08, 2015
PureNigerian:

We did it the British way dud.

The British dominated the world with their small population years ago
hahhaha,what did u dominate?where are u dominating?even edo too wan flex small muscle
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Bernardinho(m): 7:27am On May 08, 2015
dania30:
Akoko edo(igarra). Dialect- etuno(igarra) smiley
proudly akoko-edo
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by ChristyG(f): 7:27am On May 08, 2015
NigerMan1:

macof - I apologize on their behalf.
But learn to be civil, you easily spew INSULTIVE language without a second thought.

Let me add this: Over the years, I've heard worst statement from Yoruba about Edos, but we Edo hardly replied in kind. Anyway "two wrongs does not make a right" make you no vex my brother.
mtcheww,like u dont say mean things about yorubas here?practice what u preach,u are a edo tribalist yourself.so u should also take ur advice cos u need it more

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by macof(m): 7:34am On May 08, 2015
ChristyG:
mtcheww,like u dont say mean things about yorubas here?practice what u preach,u are a edo tribalist yourself.so u should also take ur advice cos u need it more

Funny thing - there was no insult in my post grin
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by ChristyG(f): 7:35am On May 08, 2015
NigerMan1:

The Edos from those villages, from part of Owan, were Ancestrally Yoruba, but were enslaved and became part of old Benin Kingdom several Centuries ago. You also find them in Ondo as well, however they're mixed with other tribes and today are whole.

The Benin Kings NEVER enforced direct Benin/Edo language and culture on the people they conquered or ruled. Therefore it afford them to retain their father's names and identity, even when many of them became full blooded Edo.

The major features left behind by Benin were cultural influences, language/vowels, words, dialect, physical attributes, traditions, kingship, bloodlines, etc
yorubas were never enslaved by edo or benin.stop twisting history dude.keep ur bini story to ur state and dont bring yoruba into it cos u dont jack about it

2 Likes

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by ChristyG(f): 7:38am On May 08, 2015
macof:

Funny thing - there was no insult in my post grin
are u minding him?see who is giving someone advice.such an hypocrite

1 Like

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by macof(m): 7:42am On May 08, 2015
ChristyG:
those who have any bini ancestry in them is the eleko royals(which is now very small due to mixing with yorubas)the aworis dont ave any bini ancestry in them..can u pls explain the benin rep cos that also sounds as fake the kwara own's
grin the name "Benin" republic keeps deceiving this ignorant lot

Bight of Benin doesn't = Benin Republic
The bight is merely a coast line with no people to conquer

1 Like

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by saintaustine(m): 7:43am On May 08, 2015
scholes0:

Almost all the major tribes
I Agree That, Almost All Tribe Suffered Invasion, But Of All The Tribes, Which One Suffered The Most Humiliating Invasion.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by ChristyG(f): 7:51am On May 08, 2015
macof:
grin the name "Benin" republic keeps deceiving this ignorant lot

Bight of Benin doesn't = Benin Republic
The bight is merely a coast line with no people to conquer
ohhh okay,i was wondering cos i ave never heard of any bini influnce there.even the way they pronounce the names are different while nigeria it is benin.i know one ajase woman,she would say 'bene republic'.i am not sure if i got spelling right but that is how it sounds.

2 Likes

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by comos: 7:56am On May 08, 2015
ChristyG:
yorubas were never enslaved by edo or benin.stop twisting history dude.keep ur bini story to ur state and dont bring yoruba into it cos u dont jack about it
yorubas were enslaved by the binis. They even pay royalties to the oba of benin.
Go ask oba of Lagos, he will tell you the truth.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by macof(m): 7:58am On May 08, 2015
ChristyG:
ohhh okay,i was wondering cos i ave never heard of any bini influnce there.even the way they pronounce the names are different while nigeria it is benin.i know one ajase woman,she would say 'bene republic'.i am not sure if i got spelling right but that is how it sounds.
You are right. . that's probably the French or native accent working
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by macof(m): 8:02am On May 08, 2015
comos:

yorubas were enslaved by the binis. They even pay royalties to the oba of benin.
grin grin grin
go ask Omo'n'oba if he ever enslaved any yoruba. .am sure the royal family know their slaves very well better than you

Having Bini descendants in Lagos doesn't = Awori enslavement by Bini
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by macof(m): 8:08am On May 08, 2015
Qaisar1:

Am no historian but I listened to a Benin Palace Chief.... He said, the Binis conquered and explored so many parts in this country (Off country - Benin Republic)... But they were not wise in terms of securing lands/arears (which were usually done my joining cultures (marriage)... They would refer to other tribes as "Ezon" (/Hay zon/), and not wanting to associate with them (in great deal).

Then this is not an empire. An empire is actively involved with the people it conquered
Describes marauders not empire
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by ChristyG(f): 8:23am On May 08, 2015
comos:

even the oba of lagos doesnt claim lagos as bini,he only says he has bini ancestry.so u have not said anything reasonable

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

RESULTS: Annual Nairaland State Census / Why Dead Bodies Are Buried Six Feet Under The Ground / Ooni Ogunwusi In All White At The Beach With His Boys (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.