Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:17 AM

I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. (9338 Views)

Become A Permanent Resident Of Canada / Its A/C Season Again, Lets Share Problems And Solutions / Closed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by lonelydora: 10:53am On May 07, 2015
Hello good people of Cartalk section.

Guess you guys remember this post of mine sometime ago.

https://www.nairaland.com/2035410/what-thought-routine-maintenance-finally#28712824

With annoyance I changed all the components of the a/c in the car ranging from Compressor, Condenser, Dryer, Evaporator, name it, etc. to new brand new ones.

But the problem still remains that the a/c gas lasts between 3 to 4 months before the gas finishes. This means there's a leak somewhere which is yet to be identified. This is a car I drove for almost 2 years before the a/c gas finished.

I need who can offer a permanent solution to this no matter the cost because I have made up my mind to sell the car if this problem persists, and will never buy any used car again. Even if it means buying a Kia Picanto or Hyundai i10 as long as it's a new one I wouldn't mind.

I need an expert or someone who has experienced this to tell me what the problem is. Thanks in anticipation for a positive reply.

Car is still 2003 Honda Accord V6.

Cc: lomomike, Abatically, Siena, Chukel, Ikenna351and other gurus too numerous to mention.
Re: I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by chukel(m): 4:19pm On May 07, 2015
lonelydora:

https://www.nairaland.com/2035410/what-thought-routine-maintenance-finally#28712824

With annoyance I changed all the components of the a/c in the car ranging from Compressor, Condenser, Dryer, Evaporator, name it, etc. to new brand new ones.

But the problem still remains that the a/c gas lasts between 3 to 4 months before the gas finishes. This means there's a leak somewhere which is yet to be identified. This is a car I drove for almost 2 years before the a/c gas finished.

I need who can offer a permanent solution to this no matter the cost because I have made up my mind to sell the car if this problem persists, and will never buy any used car again. Even if it means buying a Kia Picanto or Hyundai i10 as long as it's a new one I wouldn't mind.

I need an expert or someone who has experienced this to tell me what the problem is. Thanks in anticipation for a positive reply.

Cc: lomomike, Abatically, Siena, Chukel, Ikenna351and other gurus too numerous to mention.

sorry about ur issue. Ur problem now may not be any of those items u changed. I think ur technician is the issue. Gas might be leaking from any of the tightened junctions. Open ur bonnet, check along the ac line to see if there is any collection of oil and dust or sand. If there is, that is the leaking point. The compressor and ac line should be very dry and at least clean. If there is no leakage in the engine bay, then check the evaporator. Where is ur location. For the fact it lasts up to 4 months means it's a minor or small leak. I guess gasket junction leak.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by Lexusgs430: 7:07pm On May 07, 2015
lonelydora:

You sell the car to an unsuspecting buyer, and say ac is not very cold, simply needs gas refill ?

10 Likes

Re: I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by royallord1(m): 7:09pm On May 07, 2015
lonelydora:

i think its ur evaporator ....its located under the dash board passengers side.......once its bad it loses gas overtime but not immediately just as u complained......ask ur technician to perform a test by extracting d evapourator then put it in water..ensure the water covers it totally.....from the opening....block one opening, then gas the evapourator through the other...use ordinary air not real gas ohhh....if there are bubbles coming out the side/grail face of the evaporator u got ur leak....den u can change it.....i advice u go for brand new ones ....

3 Likes

Re: I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by lonelydora: 7:24pm On May 07, 2015
royallord1:

i think its ur evaporator ....its located under the dash board passengers side.......once its bad it loses gas overtime but not immediately just as u complained......ask ur technician to perform a test by extracting d evapourator then put it in water..ensure the water covers it totally.....from the opening....block one opening, then gas the evapourator through the other...use ordinary air not real gas ohhh....if there are bubbles coming out the side/grail face of the evaporator u got ur leak....den u can change it.....i advice u go for brand new ones ....

My brother there's no test we have not carried out. I bought a brand new evaporator. In fact my technician said he has not seen this type of thing before.

1 Like

Re: I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by lonelydora: 7:26pm On May 07, 2015
Lexusgs430:

You sell the car to an unsuspecting buyer, and say ac is not very cold, simply needs gas refill ?

I need solution bros. In case I even want to sell it, seeing the car alone will make the buyer beg me to release it for him.
Re: I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by lonelydora: 8:31pm On May 07, 2015
Thanks Chukel, there's nothing we have not done. I just take it as one of those things though. At least I'm always ready to refill after 3/4 months.
Re: I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by mayor2013: 9:02pm On May 07, 2015
Have actually recommended a competent Ac tech. Follow this thread below to see where I made the recommendation even pix of the job done by the Ac tech was posted, if you are in lagos its better. You can send me a msg on whats app (08156087872)

https://www.nairaland.com/2167134/please-recommend-good-toyota-ac
Re: I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by lonelydora: 9:26pm On May 07, 2015
mayor2013:
Have actually recommended a competent Ac tech. Follow this thread below to see where I made the recommendation even pix of the job done by the Ac tech was posted, if you are in lagos its better. You can send me a msg on whats app (08156087872)

https://www.nairaland.com/2167134/please-recommend-good-toyota-ac

Thanks. I learnt a lot there. I'm in port Harcourt. But my 2003 compressor was 70k. I fear when I saw that 120k (my 2 months salary. Lol). Maybe my next step is the vacuum pump thing. But the guy said he did it last time when he changed the compressor and evaporator them. I remembered he hooked that gauge stuff on the engine bay.

Whenever this gas finishes I will tell him to vacuum it again and maybe take the compressor for pressure testing which he suggested anyway. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by Lexusgs430: 10:05pm On May 07, 2015
lonelydora:

I need solution bros. In case I even want to sell it, seeing the car alone will make the buyer beg me to release it for him.

Was a thorough leak test performed?

2 Likes

Re: I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by chukel(m): 1:30am On May 08, 2015
lonelydora:

Thanks. I learnt a lot there. I'm in port Harcourt. But my 2003 compressor was 70k. I fear when I saw that 120k (my 2 months salary. Lol). Maybe my next step is the vacuum pump thing. But the guy said he did it last time when he changed the compressor and evaporator them. I remembered he hooked that gauge stuff on the engine bay.

Whenever this gas finishes I will tell him to vacuum it again and maybe take the compressor for pressure testing which he suggested anyway. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for now.
applying a vacuum will not help cos it won't work. Ur system is leaking. Vacuum cannot hold since there is a leakage. U will not be able to get upto -29(cant remember the appropriate unit). Let him fill the gas together with a dye at next refill. U should be able to see the leakage. Check these junctions for oil and accumulation of debris.
1. High pressure hose-compressor
2. Low pressure hose-compressor
3. Low pressure- condenser
4. Hose-expansion valve.
These areas should be dry. Snap a pic of ur engine bay showing these components.

7 Likes

Re: I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by lonelydora: 8:21am On May 08, 2015
chukel:
applying a vacuum will not help cos it won't work. Ur system is leaking. Vacuum cannot hold since there is a leakage. U will not be able to get upto -29(cant remember the appropriate unit). Let him fill the gas together with a dye at next refill. U should be able to see the leakage. Check these junctions for oil and accumulation of debris.
1. High pressure hose-compressor
2. Low pressure hose-compressor
3. Low pressure- condenser
4. Hose-expansion valve.
These areas should be dry. Snap a pic of ur engine bay showing these components.
Thanks man.
Re: I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by Wrooks(m): 2:38pm On May 08, 2015
lonelydora:

My brother there's no test we have not carried out. I bought a brand new evaporator. In fact my technician said he has not seen this type of thing before.
My dear brother, you cant continue with same technician and you want result. Please try another competent hand and i believe you will get a better result.

4 Likes

Re: I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by AutoCarTracker(m): 12:20am On May 11, 2015
lonelydora:

Hey, to be frank; HVAC jobs are very technical, you might not be able to accomplish this if you are not well grounded in the field of refrigeration. Your issues is sure from a leakage. Recheck the piping from compressor to the cabin evaporator, check the Reciever/Dryer properly cos many problem starts from that little thing.
Re: I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by lonelydora: 6:54am On May 11, 2015
AutoCarTracker:

Hey, to be frank; HVAC jobs are very technical, you might not be able to accomplish this if you are not well grounded in the field of refrigeration. Your issues is sure from a leakage. Recheck the piping from compressor to the cabin evaporator, check the Reciever/Dryer properly cos many problem starts from that little thing.

Thanks. We have checked and rechecked, no leakage on the pipings. Like I said, I'm still watching it for now to know how long this one will last.
Re: I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by AutoCarTracker(m): 9:37pm On May 17, 2015
You just have to use a dye with the refrigerant and refill again, you will see oil leaks and the dye will make it more visible, the best to do is to use a UV substance as a dye and when you go inside a dark roo, with a UV torch you MUST definitely see a crack along the line, this is ur best bet

3 Likes

Re: I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by Namzy(m): 1:03am On May 19, 2015
AutoCarTracker:
You just have to use a dye with the refrigerant and refill again, you will see oil leaks and the dye will make it more visible, the best to do is to use a UV substance as a dye and when you go inside a dark roo, with a UV torch you MUST definitely see a crack along the line, this is ur best bet
Said my mind. Funny thing happened to me after several ac leaks on my 2004 honda accord i insisted that next person use a dye to detect the leak mine was leaking after one month. The ac technician a young lad told me that my car uses a different kind of freon not those selling for 500 i think the name was cheb which was selling for 1500 per can and then he opened my hose and poured a dye and refilled with the cheb. I didnt believe it'll work and i feared for my ac with that un labeled green liquid. But that was in 2013 during my nysc and guess what no more leaks just dusted the filter a while back. Ac still strong

2 Likes

Re: I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by AutoCarTracker(m): 4:09pm On May 19, 2015
Namzy:

Said my mind. Funny thing happened to me after several ac leaks on my 2004 honda accord i insisted that next person use a dye to detect the leak mine was leaking after one month. The ac technician a young lad told me that my car uses a different kind of freon not those selling for 500 i think the name was cheb which was selling for 1500 per can and then he opened my hose and poured a dye and refilled with the cheb. I didnt believe it'll work and i feared for my ac with that un labeled green liquid. But that was in 2013 during my nysc and guess what no more leaks just dusted the filter a while back. Ac still strong
Yes, dye is the best bet, though there are many gp around in a.c repairs, its a matter of knowing how the fluid flows and knowing the high and low pressure lines, Honda normally have their special categories both in transmission oil and refrigerant. The best is to check the manual for the standard because most of these technicians are the ones that actually kills people's car. All they do is to use the common 'Market popular oils and refill' and it goes for all car makes and model. I have seen many of it happens, I just can't help but nodd head and pity for the owner

1 Like

Re: I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by viazi: 11:04pm On May 19, 2015
AutoCarTracker:

Yes, dye is the best bet, though there are many gp around in a.c repairs, its a matter of knowing how the fluid flows and knowing the high and low pressure lines, Honda normally have their special categories both in transmission oil and refrigerant. The best is to check the manual for the standard because most of these technicians are the ones that actually kills people's car. All they do is to use the common 'Market popular oils and refill' and it goes for all car makes and model. I have seen many of it happens, I just can't help but nodd head and pity for the owner
Its called Kazeeming the AC.

3 Likes

Re: I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by BTT(m): 4:51pm On May 20, 2015
viazi:
Its called Kazeeming the AC.

Lol. You made my day!

1 Like

Re: I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by earthrealm(m): 10:43pm On May 21, 2015
any solution?

vacuu ing is done for upto 25mins...to suck away all moisture and water vapour, and then refill with exact qty of gas as specified by the manufacturer, its usually written on the sticker on the bonnet....u need a small scale to measure out the exact qty.......most of our ac techs dont do this also, ...n this causes ac not to be functional when the temp is high anything above 84 deg f

1 Like

Re: I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by mogreen22: 9:31am On Mar 14, 2016
Namzy:

please where did u get this dye test done and how much if you can still remember
Re: I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by Namzy(m): 5:31pm On Mar 14, 2016
mogreen22:
please where did u get this dye test done and how much if you can still remember
Contact piyke the guy dey good and just acquired real ac tools. Don't have his contact though but he's active on this forum and based in owerri
Re: I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by mogreen22: 8:55pm On Mar 14, 2016
Namzy:

Contact piyke the guy dey good and just acquired real ac tools. Don't have his contact though but he's active on this forum and based in owerri
I stay in Lagos. Thanks though
Re: I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by Piyke: 9:29pm On Mar 14, 2016
mogreen22:
I stay in Lagos. Thanks though

Contact Gazzuzz then. Thanks Namzy
Re: I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by OkeyUK: 11:19pm On Mar 27, 2016
There is definitely a leak in the AC circulation. Best way to check is to add UV dye during a refill, let the ac run for a while and use a UV detector to trace the leak.
Re: I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by cbngov25: 7:07am On Mar 28, 2016
lonelydora:

Then change ur technician, if u r in Lagos, drive to Mobil filling station Ikeja, beside Lagos airport hotel ask for OLOYEE, thank me later.... I'm a living witness.

1 Like

Re: I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by lonelydora: 7:15am On Mar 28, 2016
cbngov25:

Then change ur technician, if u r in Lagos, drive to Mobil filling station Ikeja, beside Lagos airport hotel ask for OLOYEE, thank me later.... I'm a living witness.

This is an old post. Problem solved once and for all.
Re: I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by mogreen22: 7:50am On Mar 28, 2016
lonelydora:

This is an old post. Problem solved once and for all.
please share how you went about it, what was the culprit and where you fixed it. Having similar issues still waiting sir
Re: I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by lonelydora: 7:53am On Mar 28, 2016
mogreen22:
please share how you went about it, what was the culprit and where you fixed it. Having similar issues

Will do that later.
Re: I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by mogreen22: 9:29am On Mar 28, 2016
lonelydora:

Will do that later.
okay. Please asap
Re: I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. by mogreen22: 10:34pm On Mar 28, 2016
lonelydora:

Will do that later.
still waiting sir

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos BRT Vs Abuja El-Rufia Buses / What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? / In Need Of 2.4 Camry Engine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.