Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,367 members, 7,781,000 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:16 AM

10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires (153568 Views)

The 8 Most Popular Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks / Igbos In Spain Attend Their Village Meeting In Native Attires (Photo) / 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 1:49am On May 10, 2015
TheEqualizer:

Facepalm. When was the last time you took an IQ test? I doubt your IQ is up to 60 (maximum) based on all your incoherent submissions. No pun intended.

What has wrapper got to do with European styled hats? Do Indians also tie wrappers? So why are you dragging that into the discourse when I already gave an example with Ghana kente being of Chinese origin, but since the way they wear them (style they use it for) is different from the Chinese, it's African. And I even went further with an example of cotton which isn't European and European clothes.

Perhaps, you don't understand the word 'style', huh?
You are not being coherent. Indians used to tie wrapper,does it make it unindian,snice Africans are populary known for tying wrapper. Indian clothes evolved from tying wrapper,so that is invalid. I juxtaposed the wrapper with the hat. Both were used in Nigeria. Both designs are African,eventhough they are currently imported.
You don't have to go back to insults. You truly have a penchant for being verbally aggressive even when you are wrong and unreasonable?
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by TheEqualizer: 1:51am On May 10, 2015
Phut:

Stop fibbing and tell us what your traditional attire is or which one you identify with.

A black man with no traditional attire, no ethnic identity and who chooses not to identify with any ethnic group will not give a rats arse about what is African or Unafrican, which is what you have been all about on this thread.
Also, most people do not wear Changi with a cuff link. Most times, the sleeve falls some where between the elbow and wrist and is loose. But some of our traditional attires are sometimes worn with "cover" shoes not sandals. Does that make what their ensemble Unafrican?
You know what, lemme back up a bit. Are sandals with buckles, African? Did we have/make buckles back then or did we just wear slippers?

I'm sorry, nwaanyị, I don't identify with anything apart from being a freeborn black man. Just an nwoke eziokwu, a real ndi ala.

What do you identify with and what clan are you from?
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 1:51am On May 10, 2015
TheEqualizer:

Thanks for agreeing with my first post on the thread and the reason for this unnecessary back and forth. Daalụ
You are just going back to your original defintion of African attire. It must not be produce in Africa but the natives must be associated with it.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by TheEqualizer: 1:52am On May 10, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

You are not being coherent. Indians used to tie wrapper,does it make it unafrican. Indian clothes evolved from tying wrapper,so that is invalid. I juxtaposed the wrapper with the hat. Both were used in Nigeria. Both designs are African,eventhough they are currently imported.
You don't have to go back to insults. You truly have a penchant for being verbally aggressive even when you are wrong and unreasonable?

Post pictures of Indian tying wrappers the African way.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 1:53am On May 10, 2015
TheEqualizer:

I'm sorry, nwaanyị, I don't identify with anything apart from being a freeborn black man. Just an nwoke eziokwu, a real ndi ala.

What do you identify with and what clan are you from?
What's my business if you identify with mentally unstable people. Ara gbashie kwa gi nti.
Am waiting for you to say that your Boxers,phone,laptops, toothbrush,shoes are unafrica and shouldn't be used at all.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by TheEqualizer: 1:55am On May 10, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

You are just going back to your original defintion of African attire. It must not be produce in Africa but the natives must be associated with it.

Then Europeans have to start walking around nak3d because cotton isn't European.

Stop going around circles and make sense for once. Where the fabric is from is irrelevant. The style is the crux of the matter. Comprehende? undecided
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 1:55am On May 10, 2015
TheEqualizer:

Post pictures of Indian tying wrappers the African way.
The same net that gave you naked igbos,gave me indian wrapper. Yes,the local men tie wrappers.
Saree is just an extention of a wrapper.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by TheEqualizer: 1:56am On May 10, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

What's my business if you identify with mentally unstable people. Ara gbashie kwa gi nti.
Am waiting for you to say that your Boxers,phone,laptops, toothbrush,shoes are unafrica and shouldn't be used at all.

undecided undecided undecided
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by fightforchange1(f): 1:56am On May 10, 2015
My fave was somali....long haired negress.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 1:57am On May 10, 2015
TheEqualizer:

Then Europeans have to start walking around nak3d because cotton isn't European.

Stop going around circles and make sense for once. Where the fabric is from is irrelevant. The style is the crux of the matter. Comprehende? undecided
Shirt is not UnAfrican,that has been trashed already. What else is left?
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 1:58am On May 10, 2015
TheEqualizer:

undecided undecided undecided
This is for you.
Additionally,look at how Indian clothing evolved and how it drew it influences. After then go and tell them that their style is unIndia. You will receive a Might bitch slap for that.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Monikween(f): 2:01am On May 10, 2015
ionno when grownups will grow up....smh
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by TheEqualizer: 2:02am On May 10, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

This is for you.

Bịa mebo nwaanyị ka naakụziri ụbụrụ gị otu na'arụ ọrụ kwesịrị ekwesi.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 2:05am On May 10, 2015
TheEqualizer:

Bịa mebo nwaanyị ka naakụziri ụbụrụ gị otu na'arụ ọrụ kwesịrị ekwesi.
^This is terrible.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 2:05am On May 10, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

This is for you.
Additionally,look at how Indian clothing evolved and how it drew it influences. After that go and tell them that their style is UnIndia. You will receive a Might bitc-h slap for that.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by TheEqualizer: 2:10am On May 10, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

^This is terrible.

O yiri na i choro nwuye m. cheesy
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by somegirl1: 6:10am On May 10, 2015
TheEqualizer:

How is the onus on me?

The onus should be on you to prove beyond reasonable doubt that European shirt is African.

Convince me. undecided

Right after you prove that the attire in question is a European shirt.
Convince me. And please go straight to the point.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by somegirl1: 6:15am On May 10, 2015
TheEqualizer:

If I were to call you nkita or ezi, how would you feel? Ndo. undecided

I would feel that you need help.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 7:26am On May 10, 2015
semitunde:

Oh but the person you quoted wasn't limiting his arguement to just Igbo wears. You only didn't read well to understand it. I read his post and I got what he was saying. You're the one who actually made it an Igbo ( and by extension, Yoruba) thing.

Saying agbada or dansiki is shirt is akin to saying all wars are shirts. Both of those wears have nothing to do with shirts.

Secondly the sòkòtò which you called trouser is just name semantics. The only other option to wearing that is to tie clothes around the waist. But the Yoruba sòkòtò, from which the modern wears were modified, were of unique styles peculiar to Yorubas or Africans in the least. The materials used are also unique to same.

Stop confusing lemons with limes.
I limited my comments to Igbo cos he dismissed all attires including igbo as unAfrican. That is a wide generalization. If you want to criticise African attire,then you pick one and describe what makes it unafrican. Is that clear?
What he is describing as shirt has been in vogue before any european influence,modern adaptation and evolution does not make it UnAfrican. You are the one making references to local fabrics. Majority of African fabrics both Gele,Ankara,Wax prints, Lace and George are not African but it is associated with Africans,an identity marker. So your line of thought is narrow and invalid in this context.
Sokoto is a trouser,which you say evolved from wrappers. Snice trouser is an European term,does it make your sokoto unafrican? You call it sokoto,others call it trouser....does it mean they influenced your style,snice trouser and its derivatives are not associated with West Africa?
I don't see how a style is exclusively Yoruba or Hausa and when it's adapted by others it becomes UnAfrica.
You want me to believe that Agbada and Dashiki are not shirts?
Shirt is an European term for an upper body cover. An European will describe it as a shirt,but you wouldn't call it that. The problem is you and others have refused to understand that description and definition is not exclusive to anyone. Europeans call it shirts,you call it Dashiki,Igbos call it Chaangi. Am sure there are numerous names for it all over Nigeria. Just like how someone claimed gele is exclusive to yoruba without recognizing that it's name varies all over Nigeria.
Like i said,if Agbada and Dashiki is Arabian inspired,it is not African irrespective of any local material.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Zahara78(f): 7:52am On May 10, 2015
Representing the Xhosa Traditional Outfit ( RSA)

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Fulaman198(m): 7:59am On May 10, 2015
"Nigerian" Attire, hold on a moment let's get real here. There are many types of "Nigerian" attire in regards to weddings, not just one style.

1 Like

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Fulaman198(m): 8:01am On May 10, 2015
Idrismusty97:
HAUSA-FULANI

the top picture can be either Hausa or Fulani, the bottom picture (the Fulbe Limse) is Fulani only.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by ernecy(m): 9:43am On May 10, 2015
;DI bin think say she carry fry pan for head grin
milychocs:
I like Ivory Coast and Nigeria best....the more non-western or non-arabiian or foreign influence it has, the better for me
I did not know Rwanda was in India lipsrsealed

I would have liked the SA one, but I mad at them still
honestly though...I like everything in the SA attire apart from the hat..which I simply cant deal with

1 Like

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by TheEqualizer: 12:45pm On May 10, 2015
somegirl1:

Right after you prove that the attire in question is a European shirt.
Convince me. And please go straight to the point.

If you can read, you will see that I already the proof to @phut yesterday.

Then again you can't expect someone who writes 'a European' instead of 'an European' to be the sharpest tool in the shed. Another 'ihumodinihu' with mental retardation. cheesy

Again,

TheEqualizer:

It's a an European styled shirt. This is a Thomas Pink shirt design below (compare the design with what the Ibo groom is wearing and you'll see that they're basically the same):

Also, look at the cufflinks. Are they also African? cheesy

I don't have a traditional attire. I'm a black man and I don't do tribal identity. undecided
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 1:00pm On May 10, 2015
TheEqualizer:

Then again you can't expect someone who writes 'a European' instead of 'an European' to be the sharpest tool in the shed. Another 'ihumodinihu' with mental retardation. cheesy

Again,

How many times did i write a European?
So far,you 've not been able to convince anyone that Igbo attire is UnAfrican. Following your analogy, coral beads and buttons are unAfrican. It's a pity you can't say any stuff with writing mental unstability.
I don't expect someone that spells Ihuomadinihu as Ihuomdinihu to be Sane!
You are the deranged person here! cheesy
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by TheEqualizer: 2:09pm On May 10, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

How many times did i write a European?
So far,you 've not been able to convince anyone that Igbo attire is UnAfrican. Following your analogy, coral beads and buttons are unAfrican. It's a pity you can't say any stuff with writing mental unstability.
I don't expect someone that spells Ihuomadinihu as Ihuomdinihu to be Sane!
You are the deranged person here! cheesy

Ihu, learn how to read. This your love and fascination for me is getting stronger by day. undecided
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by somegirl1: 2:49pm On May 10, 2015
TheEqualizer:

Again,

I would have indulged you but for the emboldened. It would be a waste of my precious time and my intellect.
Go and learn pronunciations, then learn how to use indefinite articles before words beginning with consonant sounds.
I just might still be interested in a debate with you, when you're able to demonstrate proficiency in English .
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 2:56pm On May 10, 2015
TheEqualizer:

Ihu, learn how to read. This your love and fascination for me is getting stronger by day. undecided
Learn how to spell correctly,before quoting my mistakes!
I love how you make crazy assertions. As far as i can see,you are not a credible authority on what is African or not! Sorry!
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by anonymous6(f): 5:39pm On May 10, 2015
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by anonymous6(f): 6:08pm On May 10, 2015
Fulaman198:
"Nigerian" Attire, hold on a moment let's get real here. There are many types of "Nigerian" attire in regards to weddings, not just one style.

exactly thats what I said in the beginning, Nigeria needs its own section when it comes to attires that represent Nigeria as a country.

1 Like

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by axum: 3:19am On May 11, 2015
fightforchange1:
My fave was somali....long haired negress.

Somalis are not Negroid
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by axum: 3:20am On May 11, 2015
The Somali guy/girl in the first page is not a wedding. Somali weddings dont look like that. It was a cultural even thats why you see their wearing nomadic clothing.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Post Pics Of Fulani Girls! / 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles / Owe Ile Yoruba -some Lovely Yoruba Proverbs And Their Meanings.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.