Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,365 members, 7,800,736 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:37 AM

The Boy Goes To Port Harcourt - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Boy Goes To Port Harcourt (655 Views)

Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) / Short Story: The Boy That Thought He Knew It All / One For The Master And One For The Boy By Flow1759 #mobilebookshelfwaw (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Boy Goes To Port Harcourt by atomicandy: 3:30pm On May 08, 2015
[center]THE BOY GOES TO PORT HARCOURT CITY[/center]
It was about 6:00am in the morning, and the boy was still asleep when he heard the knock on his door, “who is it” he pondered, “get up this lazy pikin” it was his grandmother; who had told him last week that he would be going to Port Harcourt any day he was ready. “Oh my God, it today, I can’t believe it, I thought it would be by the weekend” said the boy, “believe it, your aunt says you can come and stay with her, that’s if you want to” replied his grandmum.

The boy made up his mind, carried his bag, sat on a motorcycle (Okada) which drove him all the way to some park where he is suppose to take some boring a taxi to Port Harcourt. “How much is your ticket to Port Harcourt”, asked the boy, “bros na N1,200 only” said the man (who sells tickets at the car park), “what!!” the boy said with a shock; he had been to this park with his aunt several times before and she always did pay the sum of N800, “things change I guess” said the boy. He bought his ticket, entered the bus and took a 3.5hours flight (sorry I had to say flight, we Nigerians like to brag) to Port Harcourt.

The boy was amazed when he saw the huge sign with “welcome to Port Harcourt” written on it. “Finally, I’m in Port Harcourt” said the boy, when the bus stopped at Mile1, he took a bus for N50 to mile3 and that’s when everything started to fall apart. Being a JJC (New commer) he did not know that to get to Choba (Which was where his aunt lived) he has to enter the park (I mean like enter enter the park- more scrutinizing the park). Anyway the boy walked by the side of the road right behind the park looking for a bus to choba. “Where you dey go” said a young conductor (someone who assist a driver to fill the bus with passengers), “am going to Choba” said the boy, “enter, enter” the conductor said, cunningly. 40 minutes later the bus stopped at Rumuokoro, “mak una cum down, we don reach oooo!”. “Is this Choba” the boy asked, “no, here na Rumuokoro, but na from here you go reach Choba”: this was absolutely true but on the other hand it was a trick.

The boy came down from the bus realizing that he had exhausted his transport, there was just N50 in his pocket while he needed at-least N150 to get to Choba; what a tragedy. The boy was not entirely stupid, so he used the N50 he left with him to call his aunt by a payphone since he had no cell phone. “Hello aunt” said the boy, “where are you” said his aunt, “am at the filling station” said the boy, and yea he was standing opposite a filling station. “Which filling stating asked the aunt” asked the aunt of the boy, “the one at Rumuokoro” said the boy, “what!!, what in heaven’s name are you doing at Rumuokoro, you are suppose to be in Choba not Rumuokoro”, “Give the phone to the woman at the payphone, I want to talk to her”. Though the boy never heard what conversation his aunt and the woman at the payphone he had a good feeling about it. After the woman at the payphone had done talking to the boy’s aunt, she said to the boy, “go to that park you would see a cab that goes to Choba, just take it would you. Your aunt would be waiting to pay your fare when you arrive”, “okay” said the boy. He reach the park, heard the Choba sound and entered the cab, “where to” said the driver, “Choba” said the boy.
Half way to Choba, there was a heavy rainfall. Half an hour later they arrived at Choba, “oboy, give me money” said the driver, “my aunt’s wetin for me at the park over there, she is going to give you the money”, said the boy, “u dey mad, u no see go slow, I no go reach that park, so if you no get money I go carry you back to Rumuokoro” said the driver, “but” said the boy, “no but, abeg, I need my money at now now now”. “Take your money” a man said from behind, I guess some people are just at the wrong place at the right time; take it this way you have the heart to help but it was not in your budget to spend that particular amount of money at that particular time. “Thank you sir” said the boy, “no props, am glad to help, but time you want to travel make sure you have sufficient cash and a phone” replied the man, “Okay sir, God bless you” the boy said happily

So there you have it, the cab fare was paid for the boy and he went down from the cab (under the rain) looking for any sight of his aunt. “If I don’t see my aunt in twenty minutes time I’m going to be sick” thoughts ran through the boy’s mind; which was a fact. He look afar and to his amazement his aunt was walking straight towards him. “chai, my pikin rain don beat u wel wel,” said the his aunt, “no be small” said the boy. “Welcome to Port Harcourt” said his aunt as they walk towards his aunt’s address.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Hausa World Writers Day / White Roses / 7 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Worry Too Much About The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.