Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,289 members, 7,780,656 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:53 PM

NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community - NYSC (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community (23053 Views)

Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics / Jigawa Corpers Take Lassa-Fever Sensitizations To Rural Community (Photos) / NYSC:8 Things You Must Do Before Passing Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by An2elect2(f): 8:49pm On May 08, 2015
sex sex sex thats all they know. mtchewwwww.
Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by matrixme(m): 8:49pm On May 08, 2015
I must quickly add these few more points worth considering also.
* Quit lobbying. I know employment opportunities is quite slim for fresh graduates these days, but most states would rather still employ their indigenes than an outsider. It's still one Nigeria, and corpers work mostly in the public sector, if you get what I mean. You will end up being used (especially the ladies) and with lots of regrets.
* Choose all these professional courses wisely. Some of them will require you travelling frequently and they gulp much of your meagre allowance. I always muse to myself that if everyone is a health /fire safety technician, who will be left to save?
*Do a business. The rural villages offer ample land for agriculture and your admirers will be willing to work for a token if you can Marshall them properly. You are a stranger, so look for ways to convert opportunities all around you to wealth
*Make most of the one year. It's not 30 years. Don't just be a proverbial snake that passed through the rock, leaving no traces. Get involved with the community. Mentor someone, be friends with the villagers and stop this nonsense of corper only friendship. I hear employers value personal CDS projects more...
*ends section of unsolicited advice and quietly walks out of the thread.
Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by foxyac3(m): 8:52pm On May 08, 2015
started from the city now we are here!! in Megatron's voice

Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by alansary0064(m): 8:55pm On May 08, 2015
U r right bro am a typical example cos all exist at my rural ppa
Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by otizs: 8:56pm On May 08, 2015
upon all this, still i yet to have savings. i am batch C corp member.
Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by Kossyne(m): 9:02pm On May 08, 2015
While the points op listed might true, it doesn't apply in every case. Lemme me start by saying that one can't determine his postings while in camp unless u go thru the illegal way or u are in dance and drama grp .
That being said, serving in rural/urban area have their perks as well as their downsides. It all depends on what u plan to achieve during ur service year and probably after.
Since the OP has outlined the perks of serving in the rural area, I won't expend needless energy on it, instead I ll focus on the perks as well as the downnside of serving in the urban area .

PERKS

access to clean pipe borne water. I rank this one number on my list cos as they say water is life. Residing in the urban area will give u access to clean pipe borne water for cooking, washing and cleaning. This is hardly obtainable in the rural area where their only source of water is a small stream serving the entire community.

steady internet access
This will enable u to be upto date with current happenings, apply for jobs online, chat with ur friends on social media etc. Service life can be boring sometimes, so with the internet u can always find something to keep urself busy with.

Electricity
unless you have money to spend on PMS, the urban areas are still preferred to their rural counterpart when it comes to electricity. Imagine staying a whole year without electricity, mehn!!!!...though this is not the case in every rural area.
job opportunities

A stitch in time they say saves nine. Its better to start ur job search during ur service year than after and the urban areas will provide u with such opportunities. Coys are usually located in the urban cities.

professional certifications

For those who wants to use their service year to one certification or the other the urban area will provide u with the resources u need.

postings to companies and govt parastatals

Some corp members were lucky to be posted to some govt establishments, top private schools and companies were they are paid mouth watering allowance and some end up being retained by the org where they served.
Social Life

For those who are into partying, clubbing, and what not...na city sure pass. And yes u can get girls too, it all depends on ur package.

DOWNSIDES

1. cost of living

Utility bills, house rent( if ur ppa didn't provide u with one), upkeep,transportation, feeding etc can take a toll on ur monthly allowance. Every good thing comes at a price.

So as I said earlier it depends on what u want to achieve during ur service year.

Pls don't go to the rural areas just because u want to have sex with girls. There are girls everywhere and if u can't get one then u have a problem. That's my 3kobo. #sincerelybeing me...stay sharp

1 Like

Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by Missmossy(f): 9:02pm On May 08, 2015
Not too true, some rural areas don't have electricity, water and all. I don't even wish to serve in one moreover.

Don't want a too stressful experience for those 11 months. Till then anyway.
Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by yungcyrus(m): 9:13pm On May 08, 2015
Emodeee:

na dat one u go lyk
i no be gay na
Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by foxyac3(m): 9:17pm On May 08, 2015
An2elect2:

tin ba gba e!! #shoroniyen?
Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by Nobody: 9:24pm On May 08, 2015
Bigshark:
Nigga those 8points are so onpoint, most copper refuse d knw d fact dat Life as a copper is hard not a bed of roses. I sevred 2009/2010 wen I was sent to d rural area I didn't found it funny, but after som trial to redeploy to town, which prove abortive I had to stay. But I enjoyed dos 8points to d fullest. Is not all abt Eko and Abj, cos its turf out der ranging for accomodation daily sustainability. Now corpers r paid 19,800, but our tym was 9,500.

I served 07/08 and I was first posted to a rural area.
First night was hell. I decided it will be my last night there too.
My own plans to redeploy were not abortive - straight to Abuja.
Got connected to serve at the War College in the central business district.
We were given accommodation too. Great allawee. It was the good life.
I had my own money and was allowed to vacation twice in Europe.
Clearly me and you had the best of both worlds.

Summary: Not every corper must suffer.

1 Like

Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by stephenqueen: 9:45pm On May 08, 2015
GMB MY HERO
FASHOLA MY ROLE MODEL

KEEP CALM AND VOTE www.nairaland.com/twaci AS MISS NL
GOD BLESS YOU ALL
Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by steveben7(m): 10:00pm On May 08, 2015
Anything dat has advantage also has disadvantage I served in kwara, kaiama LG in bani village, initialy wen I ws posted der I nearly cried buh I left there after my service year a happy and fulfil man cos d pple hospitality is second to none and to crown it all during my sent fort party organised by d sch were I taught I collected two bags of big ghana must go bag full with gift from student and villagers, nt to mention hw d student were crying begging me to stay on. Buh I must confess I had to climb tree early morn and late evening to gt netwrk on my phone to mak or receive calls. Lolzz
Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by oyoyome: 10:03pm On May 08, 2015
True word,well done.....!
Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by millionboi(m): 10:16pm On May 08, 2015
Wat abt free sex@op
Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by millionboi(m): 10:33pm On May 08, 2015
An2elect2:
u mean?
Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by Nobody: 10:47pm On May 08, 2015
Free pussy.
Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by sirojoegbe(m): 11:24pm On May 08, 2015
all ur 8 reason na coma,where am serving is not so oh,they see we corper as rich people,everything is high,despite no network,bank,good market,to acess good market,u will spend up 500,acess to bank,1200,payroll meeting 900,no good farm product,they farm millet,so not all rural area are good,but western part is good,am serving in kura,magama local govt Niger State
Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by ustyno(m): 11:47pm On May 08, 2015
During my service year, I was made the CLO of my local government to for see all the activities of the corps members in that LGA.... From the experience gathered , i think urban area is much more better than rural area...
Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by watzz: 1:10am On May 09, 2015
Martins301:
First I want to wish all those who made it to the 2015 Batch A Orientation camp a happy stay there and a happy service year ahead.

As with the normal tradition, jostling for favourable posting to place of primary assignment will have commenced. Many would have been told to make sure they join the band group, cultural group, parade team, etc, just so they can be posted to urban areas or state capitals. Many will end up bribing NYSC camp officials while some may even go to the lenght of sleeping with soldiers just so they can achieve that goal. If I hear you complain about corruption in Nigeria ehn! grin

I have been there and I know these things. However, my main intent here is to give you reasons why you should be happy serving in a rural community instead of an urban area (state capital). Hopefully at the end of reading this piece, you will have had enough credible information to enable you reach a decision that will enable you enjoy your service year to the fullest. Here we go.

1. Housing and Feeding

Rural communities are places where you have the cheapest cost of housing and feeding compared to state capitals. A comfortable room with electricity bill for a month can cost as low as N1,000 compared to N2,500 in a state capital. Need I remind you that you are more likely to get freebies such as fresh vegetables, yams, garri, plantain, garri and pepper in a rural community than in an urban centre? If you want your meagre N19,800 monthly allowance to be able to sustain you with you even being able to save some part of it then you should be happy serving in a rural community.

2. Transportation

Your PPA is mostly likely going to be within a trekable distance from your house when you are serving in a rural community plus you can always get unsolicited free rides from members of your community. Go state capital go tell Hausa, Ibo or Yoruba man wey come from faraway come hussle for survival make him carry you free. Him go rebuke you like devil. grin

3. Save! Save! Save!

Just in case you failed to grab the essence of point 1 & 2 above, am making it obvious. This is especially for those who understand the harsh economic realities currently facing Nigeria. The truth is there is no guaranteed job waiting for your at the end of your service year. You therefore need some change that can sustain you during the job hunt. If you are looking for a means to quickly squander your meagre allawe, then keep praying and lobbying to be posted to the state capital. Reality will set in when you stop recieving monthly credit alert from federal government.

4. Personal CDS Project

If you want to win that state prize and even shake hand with President Buhari my role model at the end of your service year then consider it a good thing to serve in a rural community. The reason here is that rural communities have many unfulfilled needs compared to urban centres and you can tap into these opportunities to carry out a personal CDS project that can win you fame and glory.

5. Less Stringent Rules & Regulations To Follow

Am not in any way trying to encourage indiscipline but there are certain moments in during your service year when you will seriously wish for the rules to be relaxed a little bit. Your wish will most probably be answered in a rural area than otherwise. If you want to ask me which rules and regulations, go grab your NYSC Bye Laws handbook and read through. grin I know for a fact that extension-of-service-year is more common in urban centres so be happy you are not going there.

6. Cultural Integration & Learning

If you really wish to understand the culture of the people in the the state where you are serving then a rural community is the best place to carry out your service. Those who serve in rural areas have over the years proven to be more knowledgeable about their state of deployment than those who serve in urban centres. You too can join this prestigious league.

7. Respect

As a Corp member serving in a rural area, be sure that you are going to be respected not only by members of your community, but also by your employee at your PPA. Majority of incidences of maltreatment of Corp members have often come from urban areas. If you read story of Corp members who were thrown out of their PPA and lodge by their employee (a proprietor in an urban school) then you will treasure this additional benefit of serving in a rural community.

8. Valued Service

This is also an offshoot of point 6 above. Be sure that your service in a rural community will be deeply valued and appreciated because you will be rendering a scarce service to your host community. Please don't fail to take advantage of this.

I hope these few points will convince you on why you should be happy to serve in a rural community. Questions, comments, additions and subtractions are welcome.
God bless the federal republic of Nigeria.

CC: Seun CrazyMan yokiti lalasticlala

Source: Martins301

Indeed he is right in entirety, i am a batch C 2014 corp member currently serving in Ifon-Orolu area of Osun State, my house rent is #500 per month plus i get free food stuff sometimes, my PPA is a stone throw away from my place of abode. however i would have prefer life in the city since my target after NYSC is to secure an employment which i see the city as a place closer to achieve my objective than where i currently serve.
Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by Nyceguy92: 2:40am On May 09, 2015
[quote author=Martins301 post=33548669]

I can't agree more here. This is one of the most useful posts I have seen here instead of gossips and hypes.

Let me say that corpers serving in rural areas are more likely to have free accommodation as they always have Corpers Lodges.

Engineers and architects, doctors, laboratory scientists/technologists, accountants etc, may consider the rural places.
These are places they are most likely to get hands-on experience.

The present market in my village was built by corp members who studied related courses; the community only provided the materials.

Virtually, every community these days have useable medical equipment in their health centres that are lying fallow. Corpers can try their hands on them.

Most medical doctors will want to be posted in the Government House or NNPC clinic. Well, they may pay you good allowance plus the ego of telling your friends where you work, but you will end up only checking the blood pressures of the big guys and prescribing fancy multivitamins.

You won't gain practical experience, as opposed to if you deploy to the rural or semi-urban areas, where kids convulse from high fever, women bleed after delivery, a farmer cuts his hand or foot, and you get woken up by all kinds of emergencies.

I agree with the writer that your services will be well appreciated and cost of living is very low.
You may even be one-on-one relationship with the big shots in the area. If a minister or director comes home on weekend, he/she would like to know the people putting up new structures in the community or who is charge of the health centre.

2 Likes

Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by Pdizzle(m): 5:03am On May 09, 2015
i no want
Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by mamajaz(f): 6:22am On May 09, 2015
she u be Dangote's son ni? You go soon get the points and add your own self.
Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by Beckytee(f): 8:05am On May 09, 2015
nice one. let's I forget, any microbiology student here pls
Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by Nobody: 4:25pm On May 09, 2015
or]
Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by umarc19: 5:21pm On May 09, 2015
Martins301:
Shout out to all 2014 Batch B corp members.

CC:

Hi bro, TR/14B/2070
grin
Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by Nobody: 7:40pm On May 09, 2015
umarc19:

Hi bro, TR/14B/2070 grin
I salute you my guy. Hope Taraba dey do u well sha?
Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by Nobody: 7:41pm On May 09, 2015
Beckytee:
nice one. let's I forget, any microbiology student here pls

Yes. Anything?
Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by Nobody: 7:42pm On May 09, 2015
mamajaz:
she u be Dangote's son ni? You go soon get the points and add your own self.

Who are u reffering to?
Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by Beckytee(f): 9:06pm On May 09, 2015
Martins301:

Yes. Anything?
sorry to disturb you pls I need seminar topics pls
Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by Nobody: 9:41pm On May 09, 2015
Beckytee:
sorry to disturb you pls I need seminar topics pls

Which level are you in and what area in the subject interests you the most?
Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by Beckytee(f): 3:37pm On May 10, 2015
Martins301:

Which level are you in and what area in the subject interests you the most?
400 level.i am talking about second semester seminar.
Re: NYSC: 8 Reasons Why You Should Serve In A Rural Community by Nobody: 3:53pm On May 10, 2015
Beckytee:
400 level.i am talking about second semester seminar.

You can write on the following:

1. Ebola Disease: History Evolution and Control

2. Genetic Engineering: A Means To Improving Food Suppy

3. Autoimmune Diseases - you can pick anyone as a topic (Diabetes, Arthritis, etc)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lets Help Return Their Discharge Certificates / Thank God Am Done With NYSC Today (pic) / Things Corpers Should Do After POP.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.