Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,864 members, 7,806,456 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:48 PM

Tips For Optimizing Your Resume For An Applicant Tracking System (ATS) - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Tips For Optimizing Your Resume For An Applicant Tracking System (ATS) (2046 Views)

Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed / My Experience Today As An Applicant. / Applicant Tracking System [ATS]: All You Need To Know (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tips For Optimizing Your Resume For An Applicant Tracking System (ATS) by Kavalier5(m): 8:42pm On May 08, 2015
An Applicant Tracking System (ATS), also called a
candidate management system, is a software
application designed to help an enterprise recruit
employees more efficiently. An ATS can be used to
post job openings on a corporate Web site or job
board, screen resumes, and generate interview
requests to potential candidates by e-mail.

Job seekers can increase their resumes' chances
of getting through an applicant tracking system by
heeding the following do's and don'ts:

1. Never send your resume as a PDF:
Because applicant tracking systems lack a standard way to structure PDF documents, they're easily misread.

2. Don't include tables or graphics:
Applicant tracking systems can't read graphics, and they misread tables. Instead of reading tables left to right, as a person would, applicant tracking systems tend to read them up and down.

3. Feel free to submit a longer resume:
The length of your resume doesn't matter to an applicant tracking system. It will scan your resume
regardless of whether it's two pages or four.
Submitting a longer (say three or four page) resume that allows you to pack in more relevant experience and keywords and phrases could increase your chances of ranking higher in the system.

4. Call your work experience, "Work Experience":
Sometimes job seekers refer to their work
experience on their resume as their "Professional
Experience"
or "Career Achievements" (or some
other variation on that theme). "People get very
creative on their resume because they think it will
help them stand out, but in fact it hurts them. Often the computer will completely skip over your work experience because you didn't label it as such.

5. Don't start your work experience with dates:
To ensure applicant tracking systems read and import your work experience properly, always start it with your employer's name, followed by your title, followed by the dates you held that title. (Each can run on its own line). Applicant tracking systems look for company names first. Never start your work experience with the dates you held
certain positions.

http://www.cio.com/article/2398753/careers-staffing/5-insider-secrets-for-beating-applicant-tracking-systems.html?page=2
Re: Tips For Optimizing Your Resume For An Applicant Tracking System (ATS) by izutex007(m): 8:59pm On May 08, 2015
Gud1 op

hw wld one knw a company usin ATS?
Re: Tips For Optimizing Your Resume For An Applicant Tracking System (ATS) by missKiffy(f): 9:27pm On May 08, 2015
Nice thread, pls what about having a line in the cv, would that be a problem with the ATS
Re: Tips For Optimizing Your Resume For An Applicant Tracking System (ATS) by Kavalier5(m): 11:54pm On May 08, 2015
izutex007:
Gud1 op

hw wld one knw a company usin ATS?

Virtually all applications and CVs submitted online are screened with the ATS. It helps Organisations manage the high volume of applicants who apply for jobs that are advertised online.
Re: Tips For Optimizing Your Resume For An Applicant Tracking System (ATS) by Kavalier5(m): 11:58pm On May 08, 2015
missKiffy:
Nice thread, pls what about having a line in the cv, would that be a problem with the ATS

I dont think so.
Re: Tips For Optimizing Your Resume For An Applicant Tracking System (ATS) by daclemx: 9:56pm On May 16, 2015
Pls can bolding (B) your words I.e making it darker, will it also affect the possibility of the ATS reading it?
Re: Tips For Optimizing Your Resume For An Applicant Tracking System (ATS) by Kavalier5(m): 10:21pm On May 17, 2015
daclemx:
Pls can bolding (B) your words I.e making it darker, will it also affect the possibility of the ATS reading it?
it does not affect the ATS reading your CV
Re: Tips For Optimizing Your Resume For An Applicant Tracking System (ATS) by edey2real: 10:38am On May 18, 2015
For number 5 point, what if it is like;

May 2012 - June 2013 Tarmac Nig. Plc

Note: all in one line then followed by designation in the second line.
Re: Tips For Optimizing Your Resume For An Applicant Tracking System (ATS) by Kavalier5(m): 6:41pm On May 19, 2015
edey2real:
For number 5 point, what if it is like;

May 2012 - June 2013 Tarmac Nig. Plc

Note: all in one line then followed by designation in the second line.

The format should start with employers name, your position, then the period you worked there.. Applicant tracking systems look for company names first. Don't start your work
experience with the dates you held certain positions.
Re: Tips For Optimizing Your Resume For An Applicant Tracking System (ATS) by edey2real: 5:36pm On May 20, 2015
Kavalier5:

The format should start with employers name, your position, then the period you worked there.. Applicant tracking systems look for company names first. Don't start your work
experience with the dates you held certain positions.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Tips For Optimizing Your Resume For An Applicant Tracking System (ATS) by bodeoni: 8:08pm On May 20, 2015
Nice one OP. By way of addition, ATS systems basically search for keywords. They sort of match an applicant's CV to the Job Description. This is why it is essential to properly study the Job description of the gig you intend to apply for and tailor your CV to it.
Also ATS softwares are usually programmed to scan for conventional CV headings such as 'Work Experience', 'Education', etc. A functional CV may not do so well as it usually as headings based on individual skiils.
Once again, well done OP.
Cc lalasticala
Re: Tips For Optimizing Your Resume For An Applicant Tracking System (ATS) by Nobody: 9:15pm On May 20, 2015
This is what make jobberman to be disturbing me to pay for them to rearrange my CV.

Let me go and repair my desktop. I need to revisit my CV
Re: Tips For Optimizing Your Resume For An Applicant Tracking System (ATS) by Kavalier5(m): 12:42am On May 21, 2015
bodeoni:
Nice one OP. By way of addition, ATS systems basically search for keywords. They sort of match an applicant's CV to the Job Description. This is why it is essential to properly study the Job description of the gig you intend to apply for and tailor your CV to it.
Also ATS softwares are usually programmed to scan for conventional CV headings such as 'Work Experience', 'Education', etc. A functional CV may not do so well as it usually as headings based on individual skiils.
Once again, well done OP.
Cc lalasticala

thanks for the "addition" sir

further contributions Will be appreciated
Re: Tips For Optimizing Your Resume For An Applicant Tracking System (ATS) by Kavalier5(m): 12:44am On May 21, 2015
edey2real:

Thank you.
You're welcome sir
Re: Tips For Optimizing Your Resume For An Applicant Tracking System (ATS) by Kavalier5(m): 12:49am On May 21, 2015
victorels:
This is what make jobberman to be disturbing me to pay for them to rearrange my CV.

Let me go and repair my desktop. I need to revisit my CV

Lol.. you'll need it. CVs to be submitted online have to be "custom made" to suit the job specifications .
Re: Tips For Optimizing Your Resume For An Applicant Tracking System (ATS) by Nobody: 7:05am On May 21, 2015
Kavalier5:

Lol.. you'll need it. CVs to be submitted online have to be "custom made" to suit the job specifications .

Well I don't have money. Why don't they just provide the stereotype and let every body do the needful alteration.

I am going to seek for that ATS CMS for myself too.
Re: Tips For Optimizing Your Resume For An Applicant Tracking System (ATS) by Kavalier5(m): 9:24am On May 29, 2015
victorels:

Well I don't have money. Why don't they just provide the stereotype and let every body do the needful alteration.

I am going to seek for that ATS CMS for myself too.

They just want to make money, with the tips above, you can get a picture of what a stereotype will look like.. there are definitely ATS softwares online that can b gotten for free.

the downside is, if you ain't a techie, you can't run it with just your system because there are other requirements to b met.

(1) (Reply)

Lagos Subeb Recruitment / I Need Directions Pls / 1 Week Urgent Vacancy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.