Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,313 members, 7,780,758 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:21 PM

Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? (17622 Views)

Thread for Petroleum Engineers, Both Fresh Graduates And Experienced / How Bad Is The Unemployment Of Petroleum Engineers? / Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? by server34(m): 10:18pm On Feb 06, 2009
Hi all, with the present unemployment rate around the world, it is difficult for one to secure his/her dream job and the desired is not usually available. The available then becomes desired.

However, assuming a young graduate of Petroleum Engineering upon graduation, receives an offer from four multinational oil companies namely Exxonmobil, BP, Total and Chevron. Which of them would you consider the best place to begin a career?

The opinions of Oil and Gas Industry professionals will be highly Appreciated. Thank you.
Re: Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? by kellyhand1: 10:28pm On Feb 06, 2009
Right from my undergrad, I've always dreamt of working in Chevron and I know I'm close by the special grace of God.

Although, Exxonmobil rates highest amongst the four from PIW ranking of world Oil companies.
Re: Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? by server34(m): 11:17pm On Feb 06, 2009
AMEN to your prayers. What was d ranking based on? Again, the opinions of Oil and Gas Industry professionals will be highly Appreciated.
Re: Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? by ow11(m): 8:58pm On Feb 07, 2009
@poster

Firstly, all 4 are big companies with 'secure' future I would presume. It is not very smart to pick a company based on who you ran into when you were young or which has the best entry pay. Your choice should rely upon the position the company is offering, opportunities for self development and the little extra that comes with the new job. Most of all, It should be what you want.

Even though our economy has made us have the 'anything' mentality, a job offer from the afore mentioned companies should give you the push to put what you want on the table and weigh it against the offers.

A person can pick Schlumberger over BP just because of the fire brigade approach Slb offers for example. So IMO, I think your personal goals and dreams should be the yardstick to pick the company to go with.
Re: Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? by Hesperus(m): 8:59pm On Feb 07, 2009
Server34, howfar? Seems we have yarns. . .
Re: Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? by TheOne2(m): 11:52am On Feb 08, 2009
It is very important for us to know the country in which you are domiciled!!

@Kelly

Have u tried Addax?
Re: Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? by server34(m): 1:18pm On Feb 08, 2009
The One:

Total and Exxonmobil - Nigeria.
BP and chevron - UK.
Hesperus:

Server34, howfar? Seems we have yarns. . .
You and who? LOL. U no see 'assuming' for there lol
Re: Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? by kellyhand1: 1:11am On Feb 11, 2009
The One:

@Kelly

Have u tried Addax?

Addax is ok but not as big as the four mentioned.
Re: Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? by Nobody: 11:32pm On Mar 14, 2009
ow11:

@poster

Firstly, all 4 are big companies with 'secure' future I would presume. It is not very smart to pick a company based on who you ran into when you were young or which has the best entry pay. Your choice should rely upon the position the company is offering, opportunities for self development and the little extra that comes with the new job. Most of all, It should be what you want.

Even though our economy has made us have the 'anything' mentality, a job offer from the afore mentioned companies should give you the push to put what you want on the table and weigh it against the offers.

A person can pick Schlumberger over BP just because of the fire brigade approach Slb offers for example. So IMO, I think your personal goals and dreams should be the yardstick to pick the company to go with.

Firstly, schlumberger is not an Oil company. Why do people have these things confused.
If you pick schlum over BP, you are definitely ill-advised/you don't know what you're doing.
Why work for a contractor when you can work for the person that pays the goddamn contractor.

@Poster
The four listed above are all oil companies with great potential. You can't go wrong with any of them.
They all offer good career prospects so i'd say pick the one with the best offer.
Before doing that, i'd say pick the ones that offer you employment outside Nigeria. The reason for this is that you will be well equipped when you finally decide/if u decide to return to Nigera.
Re: Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? by deor03(m): 11:36pm On Mar 14, 2009
A-town:

Firstly, schlumberger is not an Oil company. Why do people have these things confused.
If you pick schlum over BP, you are definitely ill-advised/you don't know what you're doing.
Why work for a contractor when you can work for the person that pays the goddamn contractor.

@Poster
The four listed above are all oil companies with great potential. You can't go wrong with any of them.
They all offer good career prospects so i'd say pick the one with the best offer.
Before doing that, i'd say pick the ones that offer you employment outside Nigeria. The reason for this is that you will be well equipped when you finally decide/if u decide to return to Nigera.

I do NOT agree sir, Vendors ( contractors) offers more in term of career exposure than Operators. That could inform the choice
Re: Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? by ow11(m): 9:37am On Mar 15, 2009
A-town:

You are the one getting confused. The word you missed out is producing. Slb is a company in the Oil and Gas industry as you would group Total or BP. The only difference is that one owns the rights to prospect and drill for oil and the other provides the expertise to do so. People have different goals in life and slb staff are not people who couldn't get into a 'producing' company. People have left the so called majors for companies like slb, baker hughes and halliburton because of differing career paths and plans.

A very myopic and terse reason to choose which company to work for. That means you choose a company not because of what you will do there. Now we know why people get bored with their jobs after a wee while.
Re: Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Mar 15, 2009
ow11:

You are the one getting confused. The word you missed out is producing. Slb is a company in the Oil and Gas industry as you would group Total or BP. The only difference is that one owns the rights to prospect and drill for oil and the other provides the expertise to do so. People have different goals in life and slb staff are not people who couldn't get into a 'producing' company. People have left the so called majors for companies like slb, baker hughes and halliburton because of differing career paths and plans.

A very myopic and terse reason to choose which company to work for. That means you choose a company not because of what you will do there. Now we know why people get bored with their jobs after a wee while.

If you r not in the industry please don't talk.
Restating my point. Schlum is a servicing contractor. I didn't need to include oil producing because schlum does not produce, market or sell crude oil.They are simply contractors. same goes for halliburton.

Mr, u don't know what ur talking about. I am giving the guy advice based on career prospects and longetivity in the oil industry. I repeat, why work for a contractor when you can work for the BOSS.
Contractors are the first to go in a recession. Do you know how many people schlum lays off every year. Yes they probably hire over 3000 new grads every year in the U.S but the employment is shortlived. What do you think happens to these employees when projects stop coming from the oil companies.
Do you know that a lot of layoffs are currently going on. So far, the only major oil company to announce layoffs in the U.S is conocophillips. All the others i advised the guy to go for (Exxon, Total, Bp) are not laying off nada. Schlum has been laying off workers way before the recession.
Re: Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? by ow11(m): 8:14pm On Mar 15, 2009
A-town:

Contractors are the first to go in a recession. Do you know how many people schlum lays off every year. Yes they probably hire over 3000 new grads every year in the U.S but the employment is shortlived. What do you think happens to these employees when projects stop coming from the oil companies.
Do you know that a lot of layoffs are currently going on. So far, the only major oil company to announce layoffs in the U.S is conocophillips. All the others i advised the guy to go for (Exxon, Total, Bp) are not laying off nada. Schlum has been laying off workers way before the recession.

You have just stated in that long hallowed paragraph that the only reason with which you choose an organisation to work for is job security. If that is your reason thats fine as you may like to do a job you hate just because it pays the bills and that you will never get sacked. His career goals may well be working towards improving ER Drilling for example and that my friend is something he can achieve working for a goddam contractor. It is that simple.

People usually choose jobs for a lot more reasons than job security in times of economic slowdown. Back to the slb qualification, slb is a company in the oil/gas industry that provide services to other companies!!! The issue just lies with semantics and not mis-classification and your own interpretation of a company in the petroleum industry. For all you know, a company with no permission to search for and exploit oil/gas reserves should not be called an oil companyy even of all their business interests deals specifically with the industry. If you are bothered with semantics and for the sake of pedantry insist on oil producing than I will call a truce but i still stand by my statement that slb is a company in the oil industry and can be loosely mentioned when talking about jobs in the oil industry.
Re: Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? by Nobody: 10:03pm On Mar 15, 2009
ow11:

You have just stated in that long hallowed paragraph that the only reason with which you choose an organisation to work for is job security. If that is your reason thats fine as you may like to do a job you hate just because it pays the bills and that you will never get sacked. His career goals may well be working towards improving ER Drilling for example and that my friend is something he can achieve working for a goddam contractor. It is that simple.

People usually choose jobs for a lot more reasons than job security in times of economic slowdown. Back to the slb qualification, slb is a company in the oil/gas industry that provide services to other companies!!! The issue just lies with semantics and not mis-classification and your own interpretation of a company in the petroleum industry. For all you know, a company with no permission to search for and exploit oil/gas reserves should not be called an oil companyy even of all their business interests deals specifically with the industry. If you are bothered with semantics and for the sake of pedantry insist on oil producing than I will call a truce but i still stand by my statement that slb is a company in the oil industry and can be loosely mentioned when talking about jobs in the oil industry.
R u well at all. We're talking about a job as a petroleum engineer in a particular industry and you're blabbing about the possibilites of being bored at the job. If you can get bored working for Exxon, why on earth can't you get bored working for sclum. If the comparison had been between schlum and zenith bank, you might have made some sense.
Stop being ignorant. How can any sane person have one reason. I have given him "a"  reason. shikena.
There's no form of bullshit experience that  he will get  from schlum that he won't get from any of the other freaking "oil" companies.
We are not talking about foremen here. Don't even start any arguement with regards to drilling. This is my bleeping area of expertise.
Re: Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? by ow11(m): 8:52am On Mar 16, 2009
A-town:

R u well at all. We're talking about a job as a petroleum engineer in a particular industry and you're blabbing about the possibilites of being bored at the job. If you can get bored working for Exxon, why on earth can't you get bored working for sclum. If the comparison had been between schlum and zenith bank, you might have made some sense.
Stop being ignorant. How can any sane person have one reason. I have given him "a"  reason. shikena.
There's no form of bullshit experience that  he will get  from schlum that he won't get from any of the other freaking "oil" companies.
We are not talking about foremen here. Don't even start any arguement with regards to drilling. This is my bleeping area of expertise.

Your the one playing with words here. The issue did not involve slb in the first place and I only mentioned slb because like I said earlier when scouting for jobs in the oil/gas industry, you would consult companies with business interests in that industry and the companies range from BP to Schlumberger. Arguing about their specific roles and which companies would give you a better fit is another thing. That is even the crux of the thread, which company would better fit him.

He did not state his goals or preferences at work so you can not tell him slb is a freaking contractor and so cannot offer him anything Mobil for example cannot offer. That is an ignorant statement! Schlumberger have research centres and develop tools that improve oil exploration/production. What if the fellow is interested in research interests currently carried out by slb? Would he for the sake of job security drop his dream and take another job because it is a big company? OR you will tell me no one has ever worked till retirement age at slb?

BTW, the guy didn't even include slb. I only brought it in to show an example were someone can take a seemingly (to people like you) daft option just because of personal satisfaction.
Re: Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Mar 30, 2009
Sorry to return to this thread but l'd like OW11 to really just shut up.
What do you have to say about the people that were let go recently by schlum in the U.S and Nigeria?
Job security is an important factor in determining your career my bro.
Re: Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? by rooneyA: 5:55pm On May 27, 2011
Hi Guys,

I am from India. Currently i have got offer from Robert gordon and University of SAlford.
Course : Oil and Gas, Petroleum Engineering
I am confused which one to join. Please help me !!!!

Based on the below mentioned points please recommend one of the universities:
1. Value of the degree
2. Job Opportunities (very important)
3. Ranking of the university
4. Facilities and Standard of education

Students who have studied from any one of these universities can share their experience!!!!

Please help me!!!!!
Re: Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? by rooneyA: 5:58pm On May 27, 2011
Hi Guys,

I am from India. Currently i have got offer from Robert gordon and University of SAlford.

1. Value of the degree
2. Job Opportunities  (very important)
4. Facilities and Standard of  education

Students who have studied from any one of these universities can share their experience!!!!

Please help me!!!!!
Also let me top oil industry companies in UK.
1. Pay should be good
2. Job security
3. Company profile and rank should be high
Re: Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? by okeyz(m): 8:07pm On May 27, 2011
@ A-town and co
I found your arguments rather funny, from the look of things you both have just succeeded in confusing the guy some more,if i may say here that the four companies he mentioned are all equally good.

Schlum has been buying up a lot of companies lately and their profit margin looks good, of course they started as a contractor but they have really grown to be the prefered contractor for the "fat cats" oil giants, and also mind you that these oil giants where once consortium of different companies that merged together to form an alliance chevron/texaco/star. exxonmobil etc.

I will give my own experience, when i was doing my internship at Mobil we were regularly sent to schlum at idowu taylor for trainings, why , because , according to my supervisor then, schlumberger was the BEST! in terms of what we want to learn.

As for laying off, it happens in all companies, once there is duplication of duties or there is a new development in technology that will perform well what humans are doing then there is no need to have excess workers and that is what schlumberger is all about, INNOVATION!!!

@ server

if you want to enjoy job security stay with the majors, if you like mobility,hands on experience,professional advancement career-wise stick with the "so called" contractors.
come to think of it, a stint with schlum or halliburton or baker hughes will get u a job anywhere in the world, these coys have really paid their dues in terms of technological breakthrough in the oil and gas industry, this is not a mean feat

one more last thing, when i was doing my service with one of the indigenous oil and gas coy and we often go to the rig , we do nothing else than supervising, answering the name "company man" but those that do the nitty gritty are the contractors!!, they have the technology,the competence and the technical know how and that my friend is what counts in todays technology driven oil and gas industry, make ur choice

wink
Re: Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? by rooneyA: 7:02am On Jun 01, 2011
How to find jobs once ur course of MS in Petroleum Engineering is over at SAlford

I heard , if u are studying in Aberdeen , one can register with agencies and try for jobs!!! How about students not from aberdeen
What is the procedure for applying and finding jobs in companies like BP, Chevron , Total or Exxon.
Re: Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? by Nobody: 12:53am On Jun 03, 2011
rooneyA:

Hi Guys,

1. Value of the degree
2. Job Opportunities (very important)
4. Facilities and Standard of education

Please help me!!!!!

Why don't you apply to Uni's like HWU or Imperial. I had my Civil Engr degree from Salford and the gist from pet and gas students that grad from there is that the MSc is not good as there is no contact with the industry at all. The last MSc class had over 60 Nigerians and few Asians, I guess everyone wants to work in Oil and Gas coy,
Re: Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? by Nobody: 9:20pm On Sep 30, 2015
Please any advice for an OND Petroleum Engineering holder... Is there any way I CAN Possibly get a job... Please assist.
Re: Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? by aghr(m): 9:58am On Oct 01, 2015
Connect with freelancers in Nigeria today and get those grueling assignments, tasks and projects off your table on our BB channel. Our freelancers would bring you quality and professional service to save you time and stress of completing daunting tasks to meet up with your ever demanding schedules daily. Categories of jobs our freelancers can deliever include programming, copywriting, graphics design, webmasters etc
We respect your privacy and we are professionals who get job done ontime and perfectly.
Join us now C001E0B69
Re: Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? by Bigbooks: 10:20pm On Oct 01, 2015
CCTV, IP & WIRELESS NETWORKING WORKSHOP COMES UP OCT 10/11th @BIGBOOKS SYSTEM

Re: Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? by vickers95(m): 2:38pm On Oct 14, 2016
Hello, please I need help with production/ innjection data from a well that has undergone waterflooding.
I need it to validate a model for my final year project.
Anyone who can be of help should please send it to victoreronmosele@gmail.com.

Thanks and God bless.

(1) (Reply)

FCTA Director Collapses Over Promotion / How Much Should A Warehouse Manager Get Paid As Salary? / BREAKING: Federal Govt Bars Foreign Professionals Without Nigeria Certification

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.