Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,581 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:45 PM

Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? - Computers (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? (16254 Views)

Expensive Sennheiser's HE-1 - £54,000- (₦26460000) Headphone / Sunstone Creates First Solar-powered IP Systems / Best Hacking Operating Systems /os (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by moonraker(m): 3:32am On May 25, 2015
Fulaman198:

If a Lenovo falls on a hard surface, don't be surprised if minimal damage if anything at all is done to it. The material is really top quality on the Thinkpad line. Very durable and sturdy computers.

Many premium Windows notebooks have high resolution displays, so it's nothing new when the "Retina display" is mentioned. Again, that's just more Apple marketing terminology for the ill-informed.

The only advantage Apple has right out of the box (but can be corrected by 3rd party applications) is the fact that you have access to native Linux command line and bash script.

The bolded is technically untrue.... Yes, it might be a marketing gimmick, However, if you were to compare those windows based displays

with the ones that come with apple products, you can definitely see a difference. Something about high pixel density that apple has succeeded

in messing with, that i cant place my finger on.

Did i mention that Apple products have the best trackpads in the business??

Best customer service

One on one support??

I would choose the PC any day but owning a computer goes way beyond specs....

When i travel long distance, my macbook pro retina 13 goes with me.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by bizzle2: 3:33am On May 25, 2015
lol, thats always your response when you aint got $h!t to say
fault any of the 3 with a constructive argument den we can, talk.
Fulaman198:

What you are saying is bull crap.

I'll say this as well.

Apple doesn't build any notebook as powerful with as many ports as the Lenovo Thinkpad W541, I charge you to prove me wrong.

Also, Thinkpads (no matter the model the T-series, X-series, W-series, E-series, etc.) are all built with more durable materials than the Macbook as has been illustrated in various tests (temperature tests, dropping tests, spill tests, etc.)
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 3:41am On May 25, 2015
moonraker:

The bolded is technically untrue.... Yes, it might be a marketing gimmick, However, if you were to compare those windows based displays

with the ones that come with apple products, you can definitely see a difference. Something about high pixel density that apple has succeeded

in messing with, that i cant place my finger on.

Did i mention that Apple products have the best trackpads in the business??

Best customer service

One on one support??

I would choose the PC any day but owning a computer goes way beyond specs....

When i travel long distance, my macbook pro retina 13 goes with me.

Everything you have stated is opinion and not technological fact....

It is the best for you....It does not mean it is the best for the next person/man/woman.

Best trackpads in the business sounds extremely fanboyish. Have you used all the trackpads in the computing world to justify that statement? Again another opinion and not scientific fact.

Do Macbook Pros have nice displays? They most certainly do. Do they have nice trackpads? The most certainly do. Are they best? No, they are not the best in the display category. I can't speak on behalf of trackpads since I personally detest trackpads, but then again to each their own.

My Lenovo 3K IPS display on my Thinkpad W541 is 400 nits, and the Color gamut is about 95-99% accurate. I would say that's on par if not better than Apple Macbook Pro's 15 inch display.

In regards to customer service/support, have you personally experienced each manufacturer's customer support/service?
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by bizzle2: 3:42am On May 25, 2015
mr right information, i have continued to clearly identified your wrong assertions and assumptions , i'll continue to oblige you. the laptop in question comes in with a base configuration core i3 processor, but thats besides the point, i was drawing an analogy in relation to performance difference that was why i even mentioned the processors in the first place.
My underlying argument has always been about the 13" retina macbook pro, and your claim of having better and cheaper windows alternatives to it in the ultrabook category. I am concerned with nothing more
Fulaman198:

It's a core i5.....Don't know where you are getting your mis-information from about the X-series being a core i3, when the review clearly states core i5-5300U.

Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 3:47am On May 25, 2015
bizzle2:
mr right information, i have continued to clearly identified your wrong assertions and assumptions , i'll continue to oblige you. the laptop in question comes in with a base configuration core i3 processor, but thats besides the point, i was drawing an analogy in relation to performance difference that was why i even mentioned the processors in the first place.
My underlying argument has always been about the 13" retina macbook pro, and your claim of having better and cheaper windows alternatives to it in the ultrabook category. I am concerned with nothing more

Do you see where I said "X-series" in my statement and not "T-series", that's besides the point anyways. If you like your Macbook Pro, good for you. I'm quite pleased with my high-end Thinkpad W541. We'll leave it at that.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by bizzle2: 3:56am On May 25, 2015
the t450 was the leading contender in the link you sent me, and that was the laptop i was referencing when i made my post
by the way..@ screenshot below, so much for your high end w541, u obviously know the w541 is a slimmer version of the w540 with the same internals , u see how that compares to a 2013 macbook pro ? lol notice they all had higher clock speeds than the old macbook pro, but lo and behold...the macbook shone!!! bright as always cheesy cheesy cheesy
Fulaman198:

Do you see where I said "X-series" in my statement and not "T-series", that's besides the point anyways. If you like your Macbook Pro, good for you. I'm quite pleased with my high-end Thinkpad W541. We'll leave it at that.

Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 4:01am On May 25, 2015
bizzle2:
the t450 was the leading contender in the link you sent me, and that was the laptop i was referencing when i made my post
by the way..@ screenshot below, so much for your high end w541, u obviously know the wk541 is a slimmer version of the w540 with the same internals , u see how that compares to a 2013 macbook pro ? lol notice they all had higher clock speeds than the old macbook pro, but lo and behold...the macbook shone!!! bright as always cheesy cheesy cheesy

If you were smart you would know that the W541 has 4 processors

The processor in the W541 is 10% faster than the one found in the W540 they don't have the same internals, again mis-information

Processors for the W540:

Core i7-4700mq
Core i7-4800mq
core i7-4900mq
core i7 extreme 4930mx

Processors for the W541:

core i7-4710mq
core i7-4810mq
core i7-4910mq
core i7 extreme 4940mx

Your fanboyism with Apple is forcing you to lie and fabricate stories.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by bizzle2: 4:04am On May 25, 2015
lol, dude we're comparing it with an apple notebook thats 2yrs old remember trust me , the 2014 macbook pro is more than 10% faster smileylet alone the 2015, couldn't find the benchmark score of your w541, i for still open your eyes
Fulaman198:

If you were smart you would know that the W541 has 4 processors

The processor in the W541 is 10% faster than the one found in the W540 they don't have the same internals, again mis-information

Processors for the W540:

Core i7-4700mq
Core i7-4800mq
core i7-4900mq
core i7 extreme 4930mx

Processors for the W541:

core i7-4710mq
core i7-4810mq
core i7-4910mq
core i7 extreme 4940mx

Your fanboyism with Apple is forcing you to lie and fabricate stories.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 4:11am On May 25, 2015
bizzle2:
lol, dude we're comparing it with an apple notebook thats 2yrs old remember trust me , the 2014 macbook pro is more than 10% faster smileylet alone the 2015, couldn't find the benchmark score of your w541, i for still open your eyes

No you just post snippets, it's called anecdotal evidence. Anyone can do that. You don't mention which processor was used during the test on the W540 thus making your case look even more ridiculous an unscientific.

If you are going to be biased and dishonest, at least try to be more sly about it. The 10% is a low-ball. I don't have to overexaggerate to prove something.

I will reiterate my statement. No Apple computer is as powerful as my Lenovo Thinkpad W541. Too much throttling under a heavy load of tasks/applications, and not enough memory/RAM for serious computing can be found on the Macbook Pro 15". In fact, it's not even considered one of the best engineering laptops because it doesn't have the power:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/175393-best-laptops-for-engineers-when-work-requires-a-real-workstation
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 4:14am On May 25, 2015
the funny thing is that when you compare the Macbook Pro 15" and the Thinkpad W541 (they are competitors), the thinkpad W541 is much cheaper and performs better.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by bizzle2: 4:44am On May 25, 2015
LOL, dude,you taking this shiii real personal , nevertheless...The author primarily lists the unavialability of engineering software on the OS as the issue bro, what are you getting at? and do you see the mention of the macbook pro appearing in almost every list of best laptops by the same author you quoted
in response to your earlier post, I don't see the point in pasting a 3000 word article to buttress a point made in one paragraph when i can crop that one paragraph and paste it here.
here is the source link
http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-w540-2014
and like i said before the 2.3Ghz base configuration of a 2 year old macbook pro, outperformed your 2.7Ghz high end lenovo. can u dream how much of a whooping the 2015 model would give??
oh, now you're talking ridiculous and unscientific but you were casting aspersions without any reasonable facts earlier and i have provided figures that refuted all your frivolous claims. you don comot from ultrabook category enter your own model...mac still kicks ass.

hope the processor in question is clear enough in the screenshot below. if they had been in the same paragraph i would definitely have gotten it
Fulaman198:

No you just post snippets, it's called anecdotal evidence. Anyone can do that. You don't mention which processor was used during the test on the W540 thus making your case look even more ridiculous an unscientific.

If you are going to be biased and dishonest, at least try to be more sly about it. The 10% is a low-ball. I don't have to overexaggerate to prove something.

I will reiterate my statement. No Apple computer is as powerful as my Lenovo Thinkpad W541. Too much throttling under a heavy load of tasks/applications, and not enough memory/RAM for serious computing can be found on the Macbook Pro 15". In fact, it's not even considered one of the best engineering laptops because it doesn't have the power:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/175393-best-laptops-for-engineers-when-work-requires-a-real-workstation

Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 5:27am On May 25, 2015
bizzle2:
LOL, dude,you taking this shiii real personal , nevertheless...The author primarily lists the unavialability of engineering software on the OS as the issue bro, what are you getting at? and do you see the mention of the macbook pro appearing in almost every list of best laptops by the same author you quoted
in response to your earlier post, I don't see the point in pasting a 3000 word article to buttress a point made in one paragraph when i can crop that one paragraph and paste it here.
here is the source link
and like i said before the 2.3Ghz base configuration of a 2 year old macbook pro, outperformed your 2.7Ghz high end lenovo. can u dream how much of a whooping the 2015 model would give??
oh, now you're talking ridiculous and unscientific but you were casting aspersions without any reasonable facts earlier and i have provided figures that refuted all your frivolous claims. you don comot from ultrabook category enter your own model...mac still kicks ass.

hope the processor in question is clear enough in the screenshot below. if they had been in the same paragraph i would definitely have gotten it

You seriously must not be very intelligent.

The W541 and W540 are different computers.

The W540 is 2 years old, the W541 is new. Stop posting crap and incorrect information. You keep posting W540, and I have a W541. You completely have lost all credibility. Your own link and screenshot slays you.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by bizzle2: 5:29am On May 25, 2015
You My friend have told one too many lies , configured to the spec you boasted about earlier, the w541 costs over $2,600..see the screenshot. the base configuration of the macbook pro cost just $1,999 and is clocked at 2.5Ghz, the higher config is clocked at 2.7ghz and costs $2,499
if a 2013ghz model clocked at 2.3ghz kicks the 2.7ghz 4800MQ cpu on the w540 in the butt, you can only imagine how it compares to a much more powerful 2015 model

by the way your very own personal almighty high end power horse is running a puny 4710MQ processor clocked at 2.5Ghz. which even pales in comparison to the 4800MQ , How dare you compare that tuna can to a 2015 retina macbook pro ? damn i didn't even think to check your system spec all the while cheesy cheesy cheesy
And you're here making noise about no macbook can outperform your bla bla bla ...smh

and talking about
Fulaman198:
the funny thing is that when you compare the Macbook Pro 15" and the Thinkpad W541 (they are competitors), the thinkpad W541 is much cheaper and performs better.

Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 5:32am On May 25, 2015
bizzle2:
here is the source link

You were slayed by your own link

Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 5:33am On May 25, 2015
What happened MacBook pro 15"?

Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by bizzle2: 5:33am On May 25, 2015
i thought i already established that i couldn't find performance information on the w541 and you agree the processor is only 10% faster than the w540, you accused me of not showing the processor for the test subject and i did just that. why u getting your panties up in bunch
Fulaman198:

You seriously must not be very intelligent.

The W541 and W540 are different computers.

The W540 is 2 years old, the W541 is new. Stop posting crap and incorrect information. You keep posting W540, and I have a W541. You completely have lost all credibility. Your own link and screenshot slays you.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by bizzle2: 5:36am On May 25, 2015
dude, i thought you were an engineer ? the cinbench test measures "overall performance" that is "allrounder" performance test !! good lord.
lol, you're showing me frame rates for game playback cheesy cheesy cheesy
you should have taken a cue from the performance results i posted for the xps 13 and xps 15,
Fulaman198:

You were slayed by your own link
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 5:40am On May 25, 2015
bizzle2:
You My friend have told one too many lies , configured to the spec you boasted about earlier, the w541 costs over $2,600..see the screenshot. the base configuration of the macbook pro cost just $1,999 and is clocked at 2.5Ghz, the higher config is clocked at 2.7ghz and costs $2,499
if a 2013ghz model clocked at 2.3ghz kicks the 2.7ghz 4800MQ cpu on the w540 in the butt, you can only imagine how it compares to a much more powerful 2015 model

by the way your very own personal almighty high end power horse is running a puny 4710MQ processor clocked at 2.5Ghz. which even pales in comparison to the 4800MQ , How dare you compare that tuna can to a 2015 retina macbook pro ? damn i didn't even think to check your system spec all the while cheesy cheesy cheesy
And you're here making noise about no macbook can outperform your bla bla bla ...smh

and talking about

No, you are just not very computer savvy

Apples Memory is soldered on. The Thinkpad Memory is not soldered on meaning you can buy memory from anywhere thus saving you some money. Also where are you getting that picture from? Another one of your dishonest tricks?

Again, I don't know why you keep posting mis-information.

Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 5:41am On May 25, 2015
bizzle2:
dude, i thought you were an engineer ? the cinbench test measures "overall performance" that is "allrounder" performance test !! good lord.
lol, you're showing me frame rates for game playback cheesy cheesy cheesy
you should have taken a cue from the performance results i posted for the xps 13 and xps 15,

You are sounding less and less like one.

A computer is comprised of two units (higher end computers)

A GPU and a CPU.

To an engineer, both are equally important. With a GPU, I am able to create a lot of designs 3D designs that would cause your precious Macbook to crash. I can't even take you seriously anymore. In that review you linked, who knows what CPU configuration was even used. You are proving to be quite the dishonest fellow.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 5:45am On May 25, 2015
Oops forgot to change the resolution of the monitor, still nowhere near the price you linked earlier. It goes back to what I was saying that you get much more for your money. If I lived in the states, I could order RAM for cheap on a site like Amazon and max out everything. Something you can't do on a Macbook.

Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by bizzle2: 5:47am On May 25, 2015
@ Fulaman, I have established that
-your lenovo is outperformed by a cheaper macbook pro
-the macbook pro 13" is the most powerful small form factor notebook
-the perceived "huge" difference in cost between equally performing PCs and MacBooks are actually infact just a perception, and is untrue most of the time.
-You really don't know as much as you wrongly assume you do.

what have you established?
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 5:49am On May 25, 2015
bizzle2:
@ Fulaman, I have established that
-your lenovo is outperformed by a cheaper macbook pro
-the macbook pro 13" is the most powerful small form factor notebook
-the perceived "huge" difference in cost between equally performing PCs and MacBooks are actually infact just a perception, and is untrue most of the time.
-You really don't know as much as you wrongly assume you do.

what have you established?

Wrong on all accounts. My Lenovo isn't even half the price of a Macbook Pro 15". Again, you lied on numerous occasions. I linked numerous links that showed that typically speaking a Lenovo Thinkpad W541 is inbetween the price of $1200 USD and $1900. I don't know what bogus fake links you are linking.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by bizzle2: 5:50am On May 25, 2015
cheesy cheesy
which spec is this please ? the one you boasted competes with the macbook pro and slays it and all dat, or just the spec thats convenient for your argument ?
Fulaman198:
Oops forgot to change the resolution of the monitor, still nowhere near the price you linked earlier. It goes back to what I was saying that you get much more for your money. If I lived in the states, I could order RAM for cheap on a site like Amazon and max out everything. Something you can't do on a Macbook.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 5:53am On May 25, 2015
bizzle2:
cheesy cheesy
which spec is this please ? the one you boasted competes with the macbook pro and slays it and all dat, or just the spec thats convenient for your argument ?

You see the specs unless you can't see.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 5:55am On May 25, 2015
bizzle2:
cheesy cheesy

Even with Maximum Configurations, it's cheaper than the $2400 premium you pay for the Macbook Pro 15" and these specs murder the macbook

Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by JustCalMeDBoss(m): 5:57am On May 25, 2015
bizzle2:
I really don't get why you keep up an argument, the two 13" laptops in the video comparison are priced the same ..@ $1300 and the macbook performed better, which better specs are you referring to again ??
same as the 15" category, a $2400 configuration of the ups was compared to a $1999 configuration of the mac and the macbook edged over the xps 15,

Go proce on their website

1 Like

Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 5:57am On May 25, 2015
Macbook Pro 15" near max configuration: Only with processor changed. Had to go through proxy to get to Apple's site.

Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by bizzle2: 5:59am On May 25, 2015
typically speaking of what W541? the type that can compete with a 2015 macbook pro , or the type that is convenient for your argument ?? you were all hot about huge specs now you're trimming down cheesy
you made a very clear statement..."no macbook can compete with my lenovo " a better config than yours is whopped by a 2013 model and you're yapping about competing with the 2015 model.
the only link i put here costing the lenovo is from the lenovo site , so which fake link are you referring to bros
Fulaman198:

Wrong on all accounts. My Lenovo isn't even half the price of a Macbook Pro 15". Again, you lied on numerous occasions. I linked numerous links that showed that typically speaking a Lenovo Thinkpad W541 is inbetween the price of $1200 USD and $1900. I don't know what bogus fake links you are linking.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 6:01am On May 25, 2015
bizzle2:
typically speaking of what W541? the type that can compete with a 2015 macbook pro , or the type that is convenient for your argument ?? you were all hot about huge specs now you're trimming down cheesy
you made a very clear statement..."no macbook can compete with my lenovo " a better config than yours is whopped by a 2013 model and you're yapping about competing with the 2015 model.
the only link i put here costing the lenovo is from the lenovo site , so which fake link are you referring to bros

I have provided proof, you have been providing fake links in regards to Lenovo just to fake a point. Nice try though.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by bizzle2: 6:02am On May 25, 2015
are you refering to the non touch version ?
JustCalMeDBoss:

Go proce on their website
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by bizzle2: 6:04am On May 25, 2015
you talk too much, i said what fake links ? simple. so i cloned lenovo's website in seconds to make a fake point . you see say u no get talk?
proof of what did you provide exactly ? u tone down on specs and call that proof ? match up the spec i did and lets see how the figures run
Fulaman198:

I have provided proof, you have been providing fake links in regards to Lenovo just to fake a point. Nice try though.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 6:07am On May 25, 2015
bizzle2:
you talk too much, i said what fake links,
proof of what did you provide exactly ? u tone down on specs and call that proof ? match up the spec i did and lets see how the figures run

What specs are being toned down. The Macbook Pro 15" does not come with 32gb of RAM so I didn't configure it with such.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Logon To Windows Using Your Usb Flash Drive [dongle] / Free Software To Convert Songs To Mp3 Format / How To Transfer MB On Glo Newtwork

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.