Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,302 members, 7,780,706 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:06 PM

Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here (12848 Views)

Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. / A-Z Of Poultry Farming: Ask Your Questions & Get Accurate Knowledge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by zopaks: 10:28am On May 09, 2015
Hi Agro Entrepreneur, There are chances that you may want to go into the challenging but Profitable Poultry Business but you are not confident or experienced enough to start or venture into the Business, I with my experience in working with one of the largest poultry farms in the south will try my best possible answer your teeming questions.

I will as well try to put down some poultry lectures right from the Purchase of Your birds from the Parent Stock hatchery to raising your birds to obtain optimum Profitability.

I will as well try to add some pictures to substantiate my points where needed.

If you are interested in joining our Poultry Farmers whatsapp group where you can ask questions as well as interact with other like minded poultry farmers please click the link below

https:///send?phone=2348079230930

i will directly add you to the group.We have international resource persons from international Poultry companies as well as other home based facilitators to help in answering your poultry questions.
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by zopaks: 10:39am On May 09, 2015
Will soon start updating

for those sending me private message you can send me your messages to my active email address ayodejicharlez at gmail.com

Got Good News For You All
Just completed a poultry farming business plan editable guide. I discussed a lot of important issues in it. If you need it for your own use to get some financial assistance ib poultry farming, this poultry farming business plan would be your best bet.

Once again, if you are in need of it, communicate with me through any of the contact info on my signature. smiley
....it comes with a very affordable price smiley
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by EZEUDENE(m): 3:56pm On May 10, 2015
plz how can one go about parents stock
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by Whynotthetruth(m): 2:10am On May 11, 2015
zopaks:Plz What will it cost to raise birds(broilers) from day old to maturity for sales?...A cost analysis will be appreciated... thanks...where can one get the best breed of broilers down south?...estimate of 100-500 birds...
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by Olayemie(m): 5:11am On May 11, 2015
Owk.
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by zopaks: 3:57pm On May 14, 2015
EZEUDENE:
plz how can one go about parents stock

Parent stocks Explained

Generally parent stocks birds are raised by farmers who have the intention of hatching their eggs by themselves using a hatchery or a third party hatchery service.
In raising them you have to introduce a specific amount of male birds amongst the female population for mating and subsequently fertilization to occur in the female birds.
To start with you as well have to first purchase the parent stock birds at the rates which are higher than the commercial day old chicks that we purchase from most common hatcheries. One thing is that the parent stock D.O.C are not as common to get as the commercial D.O.C because it is only farms that raise Grand Parent Stock breeds that do sell them and that is if they are into the business of selling Parent stock breeds.
While raising them, I want to emphasize that their vaccination programme is far more complex and expensive than the conventional commercial bird
If you really want to go into raising the Parent stock and want to purchase them their rates differ from one breeder farm to the other and may be between #700 to #850, where i know they sell it at the rate of #750 for the layer breeds.(isa and nera)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by Drogbotel(m): 10:06pm On May 14, 2015
I want to go into production of turkey. Can you suggest the specie that'll soot mass production? Also, where can I get it in Oyo state?
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by EZEUDENE(m): 12:18pm On May 17, 2015
zopaks:

Parent stocks Explained

Generally parent stocks birds are raised by farmers who have the intention of hatching their eggs by themselves using a hatchery or a third party hatchery service.
In raising them you have to introduce a specific amount of male birds amongst the female population for mating and subsequently fertilization to occur in the female birds.
To start with you as well have to first purchase the parent stock birds at the rates which are higher than the commercial day old chicks that we purchase from most common hatcheries. One thing is that the parent stock D.O.C are not as common to get as the commercial D.O.C because it is only farms that raise Grand Parent Stock breeds that do sell them and that is if they are into the business of selling Parent stock breeds.
While raising them, I want to emphasize that their vaccination programme is far more complex and expensive than the conventional commercial bird
If you really want to go into raising the Parent stock and want to purchase them their rates differ from one breeder farm to the other and may be between #700 to #850, where i know they sell it at the rate of #750 for the layer breeds.(isa and nera)
tanx I will still be looking for parents stock
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by zopaks: 4:08pm On May 17, 2015
Whynotthetruth:
zopaks:Plz What will it cost to raise birds(broilers) from day old to maturity for sales?...A cost analysis will be appreciated... thanks...where can one get the best breed of broilers down south?...estimate of 100-500 birds...

Raising 100-150 broilers
I will assume that you already have your pen ready for stocking the said amount of birds that you intend raising so I may not want to include pen construction cost, I will also want to assume that you have already purchased other basic equipment which include your Feeding and drinking equipment which make up your fixed cost, but from my rough estimate of 200 birds which includes variable cost of feed, purchase of D.O.C, medication, vaccination, labor cost as well as miscellaneous expenses it is expected that you should be ready to spend nothing less than #160,000 to raise 200 commercial broiler birds to a mean average weight of 1.8kg. This is probably equitable to an estimate cost of #800 per bird.

As per your second question, from experience i will Advise you go for Abor Acre breed of broilers. They have a good FCR and this will enable you easily attain the desired weight at the right time putting all proper management practices into place. Make sure that they have a good uniformity when collecting them from the Hatchery.You can as well weigh them once they arrive your farm to study their growth rate.
I know you can get Abor Acre from CHI (Ajanla) farms or basically find out from other experienced broiler farmers in your environs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by Whynotthetruth(m): 4:46pm On May 17, 2015
zopaks:

Raising 100-150 broilers
I will assume that you already have your pen ready for stocking the said amount of birds that you intend raising so I may not want to include pen construction cost, I will also want to assume that you have already purchased other basic equipment which include your Feeding and drinking equipment which make up your fixed cost, but from my rough estimate of 200 birds which includes variable cost of feed, purchase of D.O.C, medication, vaccination, labor cost as well as miscellaneous expenses it is expected that you should be ready to spend nothing less than #160,000 to raise 200 commercial broiler birds to a mean average weight of 1.8kg. This is probably equitable to an estimate cost of #800 per bird.

As per your second question, from experience i will Advise you go for Abor Acre breed of broilers. They have a good FCR and this will enable you easily attain the desired weight at the right time putting all proper management practices into place. Make sure that they have a good uniformity when collecting them from the Hatchery.You can as well weigh them once they arrive your farm to study their growth rate.
I know you can get Abor Acre from CHI (Ajanla) farms or basically find out from other experienced broiler farmers in your environs.

1)Thanks so much boss...God bless

2)Plz I am a novice in this but hopes to run this farm through an experienced third party...so most abbreviations don't make sense to me...kindly help plzzz...because I desire to be at home with all he says to avoid lots of cheating and shortchanges...

3)We have to construct pens because I have none...help me with an estimate plz Sir...

4)Can you plzz break down the above figure by attaching figures to the variables listed above like vaccination etc...

5)Kindly avoid lumping figures together plz Sir. A little more breaking down will be appreciated...
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by Juliana7: 9:14am On May 22, 2015
@zopaks, pls sir, how do u know or calculate metabolisable energy kcal/kg in feed formulation and what is d right ME for broiler and layers and why? Thanks
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by zopaks: 10:50pm On Jun 09, 2015
Juliana7:
@zopaks, pls sir, how do u know or calculate metabolisable energy kcal/kg in feed formulation and what is d right ME for broiler and layers and why? Thanks

Hahaha....Nice questions, they are quite technical.

Metabolisable energy basically has to do with the amount of energy available to the birds (afer excretion) to meet up with requirements of....

1) Energy to provide a stable egg production
2) normal daily metabolic activity of the bird
3)Progressive weight gain which is directly related to the size/weight of the eggs at a particular age of the bird.
It is measured in kcalME/kg.

Generally broilers will always require a higher ME than layers due to the fact that these broilers are heavier breeds in body weight and so will require more ME for maintenance of its metabolic body activity as well as its rapid growth and development.

The recommended Metabolisable Energy in Broiler Starter feed is 3000 kcalME/kg, For Broiler Grower it increases to 3100 and for Broiler Finisher it further increases to 3200 kcalME/kg meaning that the birds requirement for ME increase with corresponding Increment in age and weight of the broiler birds.

For Layers they require feed (layer starters feed’s Metabolisable energy Is 2950kcal/kg )with a higher ME at their early stage from Day old for about the first five weeks to meet up for the energy requirements for rapid growth and feather development which will determine the weight of the birds at the end of this stage of their growth(The First Five weeks…...it can affect the subsequent weight of the birds till it attains the age of sexual maturity).

Subsequently the requirements for ME can then be further reduced in the feed they consume (layer grower Metabolisable energy is 2850kcal/kg ) after changing their feed from Layer starter to grower as they will require less energy requirements in the feed and also from layer grower to layer developer (2750kcal/kg).

Please note that this ( ie Metabolisable energy )can be affected by environmental conditions such as hot temperatures which consequently leads to reduced feed consumption/intake especially in layer pullets.

To reduce the effect of heat stress on feed consumption by the birds, I will advise that you serve early especially at the cooler part of the day
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by ayodeji752: 6:24am On Jun 10, 2015
Pls my birds are 22weeks old but non of dem has started laying. Wot do u think could cause it? Dis isnt my first stock. My first stock started layin wen they were xactly 18weeks
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by tp2philike(m): 7:02am On Jun 10, 2015
Would advise you deworm those birds if you haven't and also vitamins.for your point of lay birds and Day Old Chicks from renowned hatchery call Farmergiant on 08033527656 to place your order.

1 Like

Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by Juliana7: 10:40am On Jun 10, 2015
@zopaks, bros u be guru/whizkid, wow, look how u just dissect ME question wey i ask u, i suppose to be ur student ooo LOLS. U too much. What are d preventive measure against sudden death syndrome in broiler majorly within 2 and 3 week. Do i give them liver tonic or what to i do or give to them dat should in my vaccine programme. Thanks
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by zopaks: 11:32am On Jul 15, 2015
ayodeji752:
Pls my birds are 22weeks old but non of dem has started laying. Wot do u think could cause it? Dis isnt my first stock. My first stock started layin wen they were xactly 18weeks

Incursion of Many Factors can result to late Onset of Production

Will probably try to discuss them

Weight at age of sexual Maturity
Normally each breed of bird has a particular weight that should be attained on getting to sexual maturity (just like attaining puberty in man).If the birds are yet to attain the right weight when they attain the age of at which sexual organs development begins (16 -18 wks) .However the average/optimum body weight for most breeds is 1.5kg.
Now this is where feeding during the rearing period is important. In poultry, gabbage in is always gonna give you a garbage out result. So if you try to short cut in feeding your birds to save cost, it is most likely that you may end up having birds that are underweight which will not meet up with the target weight at the age of sexual maturity when the birds would be getting set for the onset of laying those precious egg you ve always wanted to see. So therefore, proper management and the correct amount of feed to encourage growth are necessary in order to attain the optimum body weight at sexual maturity.

Lightening Program during rearing
Light duration greatly influences sexual maturity…right from 6 wks old. Now let me explain how it occurs. Naturally, Birds tend to feed more when there is adequate light, once it gets dark, they find it difficult to see and hence they stop feeding.
The lighting programme should be one that encourages feeding which results to adequate weight gain by the birds and consequently meet up with the optimum weight at sexual maturity. If the birds are underweight then I is most likely that you would experience a delay in the onset of egg production by the birds. As a piece of advice, The lightning duration shouldn’t be less than 12hrs from 9 wks till 18 wks or 5 percent lay after which one hr per week till it gets to 15 hrs light duration . It is essential to achieve d recommended body weight at light stimulation and at 5percntlay

2 Likes

Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by eluyebamayowa: 12:03pm On Jul 15, 2015
@OP nice thread nd kudos...pls one of birds find it dificult 2lay wit blood on it egg...wat cud av bn d cause nd solutn?
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by zopaks: 3:59pm On Jul 24, 2015
eluyebamayowa:
@OP nice thread nd kudos...pls one of birds find it dificult 2lay wit blood on it egg...wat cud av bn d cause nd solutn?

[size=14pt]
Blood Stained Eggs
[/size]

Causes

Large Eggs/Egg size
Excessive egg size that is too large for the oviduct during the process of laying eggs can cause a tear in the oviduct or vent which ill result to blood stained eggs. This can be common in birds that have a too small body frame I.e underweight birds due to the fact that the naturally egg size increases overtime as the birds grow older in age.

Prolapse
Bleeding at the vent when part of the oviduct is also released outside the vent (nyash region cheesy) when the birds are laying.

Cannibalism/Vent Pecking
This occurs when Dominant birds are pecking less submissive birds in a flock. Coincidentally, the most severe form of cannibalism amongst others is Vent Pecking. Prolapse can as well cause vent pecking amongst birds.
Furthermore many human factors can consequently lead to vent pecking .These can range from absence of feed and water to inadequate stocking density, inadequate feeding space and feeding equipment where birds are competing/fighting to feed especially when hungry which will lead to incidence of pecking.

Health issues such as injuries around the vent region or even the incidence of prolapse discussed above can as well result to blood stained eggs during laying.

Other causes may include
Excessive Bodyweight or too small body frame.

Prevention
Reduce light intensity as this reduces visibility especially at night period. Excessively bright lights or too long a light duration usually causes stress to birds making them aggressive and hostile to each other. To reduce light intensity, you can use red lights or use any red material to cover the white lights.

Beak Trimming
To prevent pecking/cannibalism that results to injuries, it is expected that the birds are de-beaked at the right age when necessary.

Other preventive measures include….
Removing injured birds from the flock to reduce mortality or worsening of the injury around the vent of the birds.
Provide adequate feeding and drinking equipment as well as adequate spacing for your flock.

Stress related causes which include poor ventilation, hot temperature, excessive light intensity should be avoided as these factors can cause aggressiveness in a flock which may result to various forms of pecking of which Vent Pecking seems to be the most problematic.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by sessypgm(m): 4:17pm On Jul 24, 2015
WHERE I CAN GET DAY OLD GEESE
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by olamzy45: 11:50pm On Jul 24, 2015
ow far can 100k goes in a nw poultry farm bro
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by Juliana7: 1:05am On Jul 25, 2015
@zopaks, pls what is d right space requirement for broiler and also layers in square feet
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by Mustack: 6:52am On Jul 25, 2015
As a beginner how much can someone start with layers?
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by eluyebamayowa: 4:09pm On Jul 25, 2015
@zopaks thnks so much...i realy learnd 4rm ds just dat d bird seems 2 b unaffectd by all ds..Birds ar in battery cage,dia s no chance of peckin each oda based on my observatn..d bird as acceptd it as her own fate nd stil layin normal egg witout blood..am seriously learnin 4rm d bird.THNKS
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by zopaks: 2:36pm On Jul 27, 2015
sessypgm:
WHERE I CAN GET DAY OLD GEESE
honestly I don't have any idea sad
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by Gadgetmobil(m): 11:01am On Jul 28, 2015
Great Job
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by Tompeters(m): 11:34am On Jul 28, 2015
Pls sir, I intend going into layers and I'm looking at 100 birds for a start... Can you tell me how much I can get 8 weeks or 12 weeks old layer to buy..

And also how can I get materials and what are the materials needed if I want to make my own feed...
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by zopakks: 3:55pm On Jul 31, 2015
Tompeters:
Pls sir, I intend going into layers and I'm looking at 100 birds for a start... Can you tell me how much I can get 8 weeks or 12 weeks old layer to buy..

And also how can I get materials and what are the materials needed if I want to make my own feed...

Why are you planning to purchase 8 weeks or 12 weeks old birds?
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by Tompeters(m): 9:39pm On Aug 04, 2015
zopakks:

Why are you planning to purchase 8 weeks or 12 weeks old birds?
Hello sir, let's say 12 weeks layer birds
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by zopakks: 11:51am On Aug 11, 2015
Tompeters:
Hello sir, let's say 12 weeks layer birds

To answer your question,you cannot see 1 weeks old birds to buy, what we have in the market is basically sales of day old chics as well as sales of point of lay birds(bird that about to lay in the next couple of weeks).

Most stockmen sell their point of lay at 16 weeks old to 18 weeks old of age.So in order words you may not see 12weeks old birds to purchase from any serous minded farmer.
Re: Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here by BELEXYFARMS(m): 1:32pm On Aug 11, 2015
zopaks:
Hi Agro Entrepreneur, There are chances that you may want to go into the challenging but Profitable Poultry Business but you are not confident or experienced enough to start or venture into the Business, I with my experience in working with one of the largest poultry farms in the south will try my best possible answer your teeming questions.

I will as well try to put down some poultry lectures right from the Purchase of Your birds from the Parent Stock hatchery to raising your birds to obtain optimum Profitability.
I will as well try to add some pictures to substantiate my points where needed.

Nice thread sir. I just started following it and i love the way u answer questions. I will soon be bombarding u with questions once i av finished collating info on poultry and i stock.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Catfish Fingerling And Juvenile Production / My Cowpea Farm In Kano / 15 Weeks Point Of Lay Birds Are For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.