Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,464 members, 7,801,171 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:47 AM

Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture (31499 Views)

Brazilian Tourists Vow To Promote Yoruba Culture / Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by gmoni2(m): 8:40pm On May 09, 2015
Proudly Yoruba..........

1 Like

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by brenex(m): 8:48pm On May 09, 2015
proudly Yoruba boi

1 Like

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by Nobody: 9:05pm On May 09, 2015
adepiero:
Must you bring your fathercinto the discussion! i mean the fool you mentioned tongue
to be honest, i don't understand. Try again when your brain is complete. Maybe you'll make more sense then :p
Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by sukkot: 9:09pm On May 09, 2015
Volksfuhrer:

What part of Yoruba land are you from?
Ikorodu
Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by whalexy07(m): 9:50pm On May 09, 2015
calebo101:
[b]Na just population Yoruba get...... They are so tribalistic and obviously like to think of themselves as sophisticated but then they share that opinion among themselves only. For now they can stand firm with their Northern masters but when push comes to shove they will discover they're standing alone. The Yoruba's should be grateful to Fayose for standing his ground and not allowing them all to be sold to slavery entirely.

The 3 top public figures representing Yorubas---- Obasanjo, Tinubu and Oba Akiolu... While Tinubu is corruption personified and Oba Akiolu has a leaking mouth... Obasanjo is corrupt, has a leaking mouth and has destroyed his own family with his incestuous nature. How can a man sleep with his Son's wife

Anyway i repeat again, the only thing the Yorubas have over any region from the south is population, e nor pass like that. Their hatred for other tribes apart from their Northern masters is appalling to say the least.

[/b]

you are entitled to ur opinion. tHe ibo's are d most tribalistic. as regards obj, sleeping with his son. We all heard d story , how can yu draw ur conclusion when you were nt there when he comitted such taboo. His son can choose too disgrace him with whatever allegations eida right or wrong. see fact and figure before talking.

1 Like

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by holiboy: 10:34pm On May 09, 2015
Any one that is abusing YORUBA or any other tribe is suffering from the disease called illiteracy because there is no tribe that is superior we are equal and bond by one name called Nigeria,so please speak about other tribe with sense

2 Likes

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by 9cbaby(f): 11:12pm On May 09, 2015
Adyrin:
Oyi
Obobinu!
how can you say you hate d hand work of God, means you hate God.Please correct yourself
Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by Volksfuhrer(m): 11:15pm On May 09, 2015
sukkot:
Ikorodu

This is really getting interesting!

Is this benin-origin story generally accepted in Ikorodu or just particular to some families or chietains in Ikorodu?
Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by 9cbaby(f): 11:16pm On May 09, 2015
ellaV:
Oil soup people
mumu
Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by Princephelar(m): 11:38pm On May 09, 2015
calebo101:
[b]Na just population Yoruba get...... They are so tribalistic and obviously like to think of themselves as sophisticated but then they share that opinion among themselves only. For now they can stand firm with their Northern masters but when push comes to shove they will discover they're standing alone. The Yoruba's should be grateful to Fayose for standing his ground and not allowing them all to be sold to slavery entirely.

The 3 top public figures representing Yorubas---- Obasanjo, Tinubu and Oba Akiolu... While Tinubu is corruption personified and Oba Akiolu has a leaking mouth... Obasanjo is corrupt, has a leaking mouth and has destroyed his own family with his incestuous nature. How can a man sleep with his Son's wife

Anyway i repeat again, the only thing the Yorubas have over any region from the south is population, e nor pass like that. Their hatred for other tribes apart from their Northern masters is appalling to say the least.

[/b]

I read ur comment and I shake my head especially the last part. pls where in Nigeria do u see the three major ethnic group cohabitate peacefully in appreciable figure? Will you pls start reasoning like d person of ur age?
Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by sukkot: 11:52pm On May 09, 2015
Volksfuhrer:

This is really getting interesting!

Is this benin-origin story generally accepted in Ikorodu or just particular to some families or chietains in Ikorodu?
i think a huge chunk of ikorodu falls under that category. keep in mind this migration to ikorodu was several generations ago so that some may not remember. also keep in mind he is a very educated man with 4 degrees from london and has written a couple of books so he is not just some local guy coming up with useless information. my dad that is.
Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by Bonethugss: 12:37am On May 10, 2015
As i always say, we Nigerians are not united at ALL. The tribal bigotry is just too much. May God help us, tooo many tribes hence the tribal divide.. but still our main problem is that we aint accomodating... Customer service - zero, Manners - zero, etiquette - zero, i need not go on.
We just need to remember that our citizenship comes first, we are Nigerians first and our tribe comes second.

2 Likes

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by Monikween(f): 1:54am On May 10, 2015
generalizing is stupidity... I stand to be corrected.. buy yes It's stupidity... A man is not defined by his tribe or ethnic group... a man.is whatever he wants to be... I've met very intellectual Hausa people, yorubas who do business well nd very friendly nd warm igbo people.. It's about You!!!... negroes

1 Like

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by gbengaoa(m): 8:26am On May 10, 2015
calebo101:

[/b]

which part of the country are you from?
Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by macof(m): 8:28am On May 10, 2015
AreaFada2:

Father of all Yoruba true. But it's not same as progenitor.

They are not all his biological descendants.
sure

But stil
I am #Omo Oodua

1 Like

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by macof(m): 8:33am On May 10, 2015
Bonethugss:
As i always say, we Nigerians are not united at ALL. The tribal bigotry is just too much. May God help us, tooo many tribes hence the tribal divide.. but still our main problem is that we aint accomodating... Customer service - zero, Manners - zero, etiquette - zero, i need not go on.
We just need to remember that our citizenship comes first, we are Nigerians first and our tribe comes second.

No. We are our ethnicities before Nigeria
This Citizenship - Nigerian was forced on us all by men like you and I
Infact we are family first

You all need to quit your delusions and sentiments

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by macof(m): 8:46am On May 10, 2015
bright007:

You obviously missed it. Fine, there were people already in the west before Oodua came but they were more or less not organised. Simply put, they were bush men. But the emergence of Oodua brought political organisation to the Yoruba race as is evident that his children conquered other regions and ruled over them.

.....and yes, Oranmiyan was Oodua's son but since Oodua is from Benin, its same as saying an Edo son is ruling her people. The story of the Yorubas is similar to that of Lagos. The ancestor of the traditional rulers in Yoruba land is from Edo state. ( in person of Oodua)

the Edos rule Lagos. The ancestors of the traditional rulers in Lagos are Edo sons and do pay tribute to the Oba of Benin up to this day e.g Oba of Lagos
Utter rubish
grin grin the way yoruba give you people headache is so amazing
Even non-Binis want to teach Bini and Yoruba history more than us

2 Likes

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by macof(m): 9:13am On May 10, 2015
sukkot:
i think a huge chunk of ikorodu falls under that category. keep in mind this migration to ikorodu was several generations ago so that some may not remember. also keep in mind he is a very educated man with 4 degrees from london and has written a couple of books so he is not just some local guy coming up with useless information. my dad that is.
To be honest this is nonsense unless u can
First trace ur bloodline to any Bini man
Secondly other lineages in Ikorodu do same

I have lived in Ikorodu and they are pure Ijebu. ..I even spoke with elders about their connection to the larger Ijebu in Ogun state. If at all there are Bini lineages in Ikorodu (I believe that's very possible) that doesn't make all Ikorodu or Yoruba from Bini like you think
You mean some may not remember but ur dad does because he has 4 degrees from london...you are wrong
If there's any people to know the history of the lineages best it is the old men who have lived all their lives in the town

2 Likes

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by sukkot: 9:26am On May 10, 2015
macof:

To be honest this is nonsense unless u can
First trace ur bloodline to any Bini man
Secondly other lineages in Ikorodu do same

I have lived in Ikorodu and they are pure Ijebu. ..I even spoke with elders about their connection to the larger Ijebu in Ogun state. If at all there are Bini lineages in Ikorodu (I believe that's very possible) that doesn't make all Ikorodu or Yoruba from Bini like you think
You mean some may not remember but ur dad does because he has 4 degrees from london...you are wrong
If there's any people to know the history of the lineages best it is the old men who have lived all their slaves in the town
[b]bro, either way i dont care about tribal affiliations. never have and never will. i personally believe all these tribal affiliations are concoctions created within the past thousand years or two because all these people you find in west africa today under all these tribal delineations all relocated to that region from present day egypt and the middle-east and they were all one nation of people at that point in time. it was when they started settling in west africa after getting kicked out of egypt and the middle-east by the romans is when they started proliferating into tribal categories based on who got where first and what dialect they picked up. SO EITHER WAY I DONT CARE WHO IS WHO. I PERSONALLY THINK ALL NEGROS ARE THE SAME PEOPLE. however i was simply passing along information that my father told me about the yorubas, and especially the ones in ikorodu, and that is that we are benin. either way it makes no difference to me if we are classified benin or yoruba because my classification of who we are goes beyond when the words benin and yoruba were formed. we are the ancient CANAANITE NATION. thats who all negros really are. we are not benin or yoruba or igbo or whatever it is we are calling ourselves today[/b]
Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by macof(m): 9:41am On May 10, 2015
sukkot:
[b]bro, either way i dont care about tribal affiliations. never have and never will. i personally believe all these tribal affiliations are concoctions created within the past thousand years or two because all these people you find in west africa today under all these tribal delineations all relocated to that region from present day egypt and the middle-east and they were all one nation of people at that point in time. it was when they started settling in west africa after getting kicked out of egypt and the middle-east by the romans is when they started proliferating into tribal categories based on who got where first and what dialect they picked up. SO EITHER WAY I DONT CARE WHO IS WHO. I PERSONALLY THINK ALL NEGROS ARE THE SAME PEOPLE. however i was simply passing along information that my father told me about the yorubas, and especially the ones in ikorodu, and that is that we are benin. either way it makes no difference to me if we are classified benin or yoruba because my classification of who we are goes beyond when the words benin and yoruba were formed. we are the ancient CANAANITE NATION. thats who all negros really are. we are not benin or yoruba or igbo or whatever it is we are calling ourselves today[/b]
gringringrin
I thought as much
One of those who look to the middle east
Now you have changed the topic to negros coming from the middle east
How can you possibly believe that the black race is descended from Semites? This is sad really

Not only is your "One nation from Egypt and the middle-east" inconsistent with all known history, there's also no records of such migration from that part of the world into sub saharan africa

Try to care more about your history and origins

3 Likes

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by sukkot: 9:50am On May 10, 2015
macof:

gringringrin
I thought as much
One of those who look to the middle east
Now you have changed the topic to negros coming from the middle east
How can you possibly believe that the black race is descended from Semites? This is sad really

Not only is your "One nation from Egypt and the middle-east" inconsistent with all known history, there's also no records of such migration from that part of the world into sub saharan africa

Try to care more about your history and origins
i think you need to do some more research. start with a book called ' from babylon to timbucktu '. it details exactly how black people ended up in west africa from what is called the middle east and egypt today. there is no such thing as ' yoruba ' or ' benin '. these are all after the fact concoctions. look at the sphinx and all the monuments in egypt ? do they not all look like yoruba men today ? . better do some research because when it comes to these types of topics, i am well researched
Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by Volksfuhrer(m): 10:05am On May 10, 2015
sukkot:

Ok. This is mind blowing!

A whole lot of Yoruba history needs serious review. I've heard something similar from an Ilaje person that his ancestors came from Benin! Now an Ikorodu indigene is echoing the same ancestry. Something is really going on here! Thanks for your response.
Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by sukkot: 10:09am On May 10, 2015
Volksfuhrer:

Ok. This is mind blowing!
there is even more history before that. before we got to benin or ikorodu we were in modern day egypt and modern day syria, lebanon and israel till we got kicked into the interiors of africa by the emerging powers of that time which were the arabs and the roman empire. so we were not always in west africa. we were once in northeast africa which israel and egypt is northeast africa. so many of our people cant see beyond a 200 year history. i have traced our history back 6000 years and i can emphatically tell you there is no such thing as yoruba or igbo or benin or etc etc
Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by macof(m): 10:26am On May 10, 2015
sukkot:
i think you need to do some more research. start with a book called ' from babylon to timbucktu '. it details exactly how black people ended up in west africa from what is called the middle east and egypt today. there is no such thing as ' yoruba ' or ' benin '. these are all after the fact concoctions. look at the sphinx and all the monuments in egypt ? do they not all look like yoruba men today ? . better do some research because when it comes to these types of topics, i am well researched

Lol this is it? You refer me to a book written by a black American jew?
Pls you don't expect me to take his book seriously...with all the religious sentiments and Hebrew sire

This is why I tell children to be careful what they read and most of all scrutinize everything

Lemme ask u. . Did you ever wonder where he got his information from? How he figured the migratory pattern? Assumptions and guess work maybe undecided

No! Egyptian art doesn't look Yoruba. Yoruba art looks Yoruba
Stop looking to foreigners for yoruba history

When you look to the wrong places for your research

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by sukkot: 10:30am On May 10, 2015
macof:

Lol this is it? You refer me to a book written by a black American jew?
Pls you don't expect me to take his book seriously...with all the religious sentiments and Hebrew sire

This is why I tell children to be careful what they read and most of all scrutinize everything

Lemme ask u. . Did you ever wonder where he got his information from? How he figured the migratory pattern? Assumptions and guess work maybe undecided

No! Egyptian art doesn't look Yoruba. Yoruba art looks Yoruba
Stop looking to foreigners for yoruba history

When you look to the wrong places for your research
oh sorry. i forgot you are one of these self hating low self esteem black people who only respect what the white man writes. who will tell your history better than you ? a white man ? lets just end this convo cuz i see i am not going to get anywhere with someone with your anti-black sentiments

1 Like

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by macof(m): 10:35am On May 10, 2015
sukkot:
there is even more history before that. before we got to benin or ikorodu we were in modern day egypt and modern day syria, lebanon and israel till we got kicked into the interiors of africa by the emerging powers of that time which were the arabs and the roman empire. so we were not always in west africa. we were once in northeast africa which israel and egypt is northeast africa. so many of our people cant see beyond a 200 year history. i have traced our history back 6000 years and i can emphatically tell you there is no such thing as yoruba or igbo or benin or etc etc

What's all this nonsense shit you drawing up.
Roman Imperialism and Arab invasion of North africa didn't happen 6000yrs ago but a 2000-1500yr range there about
Your claims are inconsistent with all known history

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by macof(m): 10:37am On May 10, 2015
sukkot:
oh sorry. i forgot you are one of these self hating low self esteem black people who only respect what the white man writes. who will tell your history better than you ? a white man ? lets just end this convo cuz i see i am not going to get anywhere with someone with your anti-black sentiments
Oh you mistake me for some one else

I am a proud African man. . So proud I don't need to claim other ppeople's civilizations

You don't just make claims from nonsense u read from questionable sources like a jew speaking on my own history

3 Likes

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by realjoker(m): 12:36pm On May 10, 2015
Aminat508:
owa larayin sir grin
please leave them to us we will handle them, our culture don't allow our women be e_warriors like demand.
Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by skullbaba: 12:41pm On May 10, 2015
macof:

Lmao so Oyo created Oduduwa story
Tell me more. ...
Oh! Nd it was the Malians who called Oyo Yarriba

While Ekiti are an old people. .elements of pre-Oduduwa is still present in many towns but We were influenced by Ife as much as other groups
What Oduduwa did was uniting the whole nation under a strong political leadership and pass it to his son oranmiyan. Oranmiyan took this 'power' to Oyo. That why Ife is the religious home of the yoruba but Oyo the capital of the Nation. Oranmiyan built a strong political and miltary town of Oyo just like he did in bini. Mind you Bini has been existing but the political turmoil 'then' make them seek ife help. We yorube never created bini and vice versa we only help them. If you are doubting my history ask any babalawo where did OGUN and ESU went to heaven, they will tell you Ekiti. I am oyo boy/man, ekiti is older than oyo but is as old as ife so how come no historian mention them until the rise of Ibadan. What of ojo and ada two old town in osun. They are both beside ede. These towns are historical towns but because they own no military,political or economical and population advantage they are cheated historically.

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by omonnakoda: 12:55pm On May 10, 2015
niceguy7:
Yoruba get culture, like if u agree!
Not only culture but HISTORY unlike some other savage cannibals who have no history to speak of beyond that of cannibalism and other monstrosities

1 Like

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by femirichil(m): 4:39pm On May 10, 2015
DickDastardly:
[s][/s]

8. They hate IGBOs so much that they wish all IGBOs drowns in the 'no man's land' Lagoon.
Hit me cool

Check ursef! Do they hate u or una dey do pass una sef...think

1 Like

Re: Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture by themanderon: 9:12pm On May 10, 2015
Every individual should be judged not by his tribe, colour, race ,money, beauty or ugliness, but by the content of his character, there are good yorubas as well as igbos, there are also the bad ones amongst them, this has been how it has been from the beginning and so shall it be even in a thousand years and there is nothing any of you can do about it. You can either live with it or go kiss the donkey's DooDah cool.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Photos: Are Tribal Marks Attractive Or Repulsive? / CNN Interviews Ooni Ogunwusi In London (Photos) / Captain Hosa Kneeling Down To Greet Oba Ewuare II (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.