Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,020 members, 7,806,997 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:20 AM

Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? (29210 Views)

Kids Cartoon In Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Languages(Video) / The Caribbean Islands Where Indigenes Speak Igbo And Yoruba / Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by Fulaman198(m): 3:24pm On May 14, 2015
Ezemust:
kai malam.dats my babe.am male

You just ruined his day
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by Adeyinka12(m): 12:31am On May 15, 2015
Ede Yooba,yoruba
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by sucreblazing(m): 7:41am On May 15, 2015
john4aguero:

Why not just make your point without criticism? Must you hate?

u dont seems to understand me ...

not that I hate calabar people infact we are leaving together in the same compound

very lovely people and friendly.... but I just don't like the language because its kind of hard to learn

hope u understand me now?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by john4aguero: 9:19am On May 15, 2015
sucreblazing:

u dont seems to understand me ...

not that I hate calabar people infact we are leaving together in the same compound

very lovely people and friendly.... but I just don't like the language because its kind of hard to learn

hope u understand me now?

Are you yoruba? If so I have a number of them as friends & we mostly communicate in Ibibio. They learnt it on their own & they love.

Or are you igbo? My igbo brothers in Enugu are very zealous to learn it.

My point is, no language is actually that easy to learn but to learn it, you have to love it first. And you think yoruba & igbo & vast other dialects is that easy to learn? Ask a polyglot & you'll know.

2 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by sucreblazing(m): 12:47pm On May 15, 2015
john4aguero:

Are you yoruba? If so I have a number of them as friends & we mostly communicate in Ibibio. They learnt it on their own & they love.

Or are you igbo? My igbo brothers in Enugu are very zealous to learn it.

My point is, no language is actually that easy to learn but to learn it, you have to love it first. And you think yoruba & igbo & vast other dialects is that easy to learn? Ask a polyglot & you'll know.

oky sir.

peace

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by tonychristopher: 4:07pm On May 17, 2015
Utagbamaka:
Ukwuani is my language but i speak both Ibo n Ukwuani fluently.

Ukwuani is dialect of igbo
Ijebu is a dialect of Benin
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by YonkijiSappo: 7:09pm On May 18, 2015
Fulaman198:

cheesy loll dear brother what are you up to? I have a feeling that you are just trying to get some pretty feet on your face.

Pretty feet on my face?? shocked
Which one is that again, Banndiko?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by wexyee: 7:54pm On May 30, 2015
YonkijiSappo:

Thanks smiley
Is that you on your profile? you look like one of us
I can teach you Fulfulde if you are interested.
lol...... I'll really need ur help on that
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by Fulaman198(m): 9:51pm On May 30, 2015
YonkijiSappo:

Pretty feet on my face?? shocked
Which one is that again, Banndiko?

Dedirawo am it was a joke lollllll. I was kidding about that lady (though it appears to be the guy's gf) placing her feet on your face lol. Pardon my perversion.

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by YonkijiSappo: 11:55pm On May 30, 2015
wexyee:
lol...... I'll really need ur help on that

Link up with me then, Facebook or Email or Whatsapp.
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by odumchi: 7:21am On May 31, 2015
Gboliwe:
Igbo, hausa, Yoruba Ikwerre and Ibibio

Nwanne m nwami, o n'ezi?
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by Gboliwe: 7:26am On May 31, 2015
odumchi:

Nwanne m nwami, o n'ezi?

Yes ke! A little of Ikwerre and Ibibio though
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by odumchi: 9:56pm On May 31, 2015
Gboliwe:

Agu nwami! Asi Naijiria onwa bu nmadi, mbu I buru e lol. Jookwa wo.
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by bigfrancis21: 1:17am On Jun 01, 2015
Gboliwe:

Wene badu, I zega pele?
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by Haqq4young(m): 8:20am On Jun 05, 2015
Enebenii.. Madahi
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by wexyee: 10:39pm On Jun 25, 2015
I speak Arabic, hausa fulfude, yoruba(not fluent)

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by iamclime(m): 8:37am On Jun 27, 2015
[quote author=scholes0 post=33703524]

Is Torigbe reateed to Ayizo and Allada Gbe?
Ethnologue defines Gungbe as a dialect of Fongbe.[/quote
]
Allada and Toligbe are dialects of Gungbe. Gungbe is of multifarious dialects. Do you speak Gungbe or Fongbe? How many dialects of Gungbe do you speak/understand? Let's share ideas.
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by Emilokoiyawon: 5:28am On Jul 06, 2015
I speak Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Birom, Idoma, Itshekiri, Igala and Urhobo fluently. Don't blame me - blame my parents who carried us across the country as kids and my brain that is naturally wired for languages (at least none of my brothers or sisters speak less than Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo). Yoruba, Itshekiri and Igala are kind of similar but not really. I not only understand these languages, I also understand these cultures because I lived among these people. I am what the Yorubas call Jomijoke - I have been in situations where people think I belong to their tribe and they begin to say bad things about the other tribes. This is very common among the Hausas, Igbos and Yorubas. One of my Yoruba friends actually stopped talking to me for a while when he saw me speaking Igbo - it took him sometime to accept that we are tribesmen. He was really shocked to see me speaking Igbo like am eating moimoi. One of my Igbo classmates to this day does not believe I am Yoruba - even now when we talk on the phone its una this una that - that's how we relate to each other to this day. He was the only Igbo in my class when I was in primary school in Jos -and we became friends because we understood each other. I have caused quite a few shock faces when people realized I understand EXACTLY what they are saying. grin grin. When I visited Kano (dressed in my flawless babariga) 2 years ago one Fulani man was complaining in Hausa about Yamirin (Igbos) and Yorubawa looking down on his people - and I smiled and told him that am sure the Yorubas/Igbos can't believe how they've been ruled for this long by Fulanis. He smiled and said this to me in Hausa "...we (including me) are natural leaders because we have the brains and they (Yorubas/Igbos) just like to run their mouths." Anyone that tells you that they can tell someone's tribe by looking at their natural features don't understand how human psyche works. If you dress like a Hausa and speak flawless Hausas/use their mannerism even Hausas will think you are Hausa. The same thing applies to any other tribe. I learnt Igbo in Lagos (my place of birth) because I spent time, as a kid, playing with my next door neighbors from Owerri. Then my family moved to Jos were I learnt Hausa and Birom (Birom language is beautiful - if you have opportunity learn it) and Idoma (neighbors). I lived with my uncle who married into an Igala family. I moved to Warri as a teenager and learnt Itsekiri ( a language I already had an ear for since my mother, an Ijebu woman spoke it fluently) and Urhobo - the hardest language for me 2 learn.

Advantages of been a polyglot? Well not much advantage in Nigeria because most Nigerians these days try to pose. I have met some Nigerian parents who are almost bragging about how their kids can ONLY speak English - talk of colomental (Fela RIP). However, I have dated women (who say they will never date this tribe or that tribe) but didn't know I am not from their tribe. I find Idoma and Hausa women to be the most caring and least tribalistic to be honest. If a Yoruba woman really loves you - then your problems are over. She will trek from here to Ogbomosho for you - basically treat you like a god . Igbo women know how to keep house and make you feel comfortable at home. The most beautiful Nigerian woman I ever saw (in flesh not tv or internet) and dated was an Igala from Kogi - Ani Eledumare bo omo ye lewa. When it comes to performance in the bedroom - it has nothing to do with tribe in my opinion but the one Nigerian girl that would do ANYTHING (and I meant ANYTHING) I want in bed was from Langtang. I have gotten some 'connections' from people who thought I was 'one of them.' Every Nigerian tribe IMO have their own strength but tribalism has made it difficult for Nigerians to come together and take full advantage of their diversity.

Because of my experience, I hate tribalism and I laugh at tribalists or give them a dose of their own medicine. In US I see how Nigerians segregate along tribal lines and I shake my damn head. I have seen how members of the 3 major tribes (WAZOBIA) act with such arrogance like the other countless minority tribes don't really exist. Tribes like Tiv, Idoma, Efik etc. see Nigeria in a way that is very difficult for us, the members of the majority tribes, to see. If Nigeria must survive Yorubas, Hausas and Igbos have the responsibility to elevate the discourse and try to be more inclusive of all the other Nigerians whose cultures are as legitimate as ours. grin grin grin grin grin Oro pari (Shikena)

5 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by scholes0(m): 5:53am On Jul 06, 2015
Emilokoiyawon:
I speak Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Birom, Idoma, Itshekiri, Igala and Urhobo fluently. Don't blame me - blame my parents who carried us across the country as kids and my brain that is naturally wired for languages (at least none of my brothers or sisters speak less than Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo). Yoruba, Itshekiri and Igala are kind of similar but not really. I not only understand these languages,

Epistle of life ......
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by Ceenelly(m): 8:44am On Jul 07, 2015
I can speak ukwuani/urhobo/isoko fluently, and can grab(understand) igbo to a certain level but i cant communicate with it. I beleive the language i would love to learn is hausa
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by SIRANDREWS: 9:59am On Jul 07, 2015
Emilokoiyawon:
I speak Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Birom, Idoma, Itshekiri, Igala and Urhobo fluently. Don't blame me - blame my parents who carried us across the country as kids and my brain that is naturally wired for languages (at least none of my brothers or sisters speak less than Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo). Yoruba, Itshekiri and Igala are kind of similar but not really. I not only understand these languages, I also understand these cultures because I lived among these people. I am what the Yorubas call Jomijoke - I have been in situations where people think I belong to their tribe and they begin to say bad things about the other tribes. This is very common among the Hausas, Igbos and Yorubas. One of my Yoruba friends actually stopped talking to me for a while when he saw me speaking Igbo - it took him sometime to accept that we are tribesmen. He was really shocked to see me speaking Igbo like am eating moimoi. One of my Igbo classmates to this day does not believe I am Yoruba - even now when we talk on the phone its una this una that - that's how we relate to each other to this day. He was the only Igbo in my class when I was in primary school in Jos -and we became friends because we understood each other. I have caused quite a few shock faces when people realized I understand EXACTLY what they are saying. grin grin. When I visited Kano (dressed in my flawless babariga) 2 years ago one Fulani man was complaining in Hausa about Yamirin (Igbos) and Yorubawa looking down on his people - and I smiled and told him that am sure the Yorubas/Igbos can't believe how they've been ruled for this long by Fulanis. He smiled and said this to me in Hausa "...we (including me) are natural leaders because we have the brains and they (Yorubas/Igbos) just like to run their mouths." Anyone that tells you that they can tell someone's tribe by looking at their natural features don't understand how human psyche works. If you dress like a Hausa and speak flawless Hausas/use their mannerism even Hausas will think you are Hausa. The same thing applies to any other tribe. I learnt Igbo in Lagos (my place of birth) because I spent time, as a kid, playing with my next door neighbors from Owerri. Then my family moved to Jos were I learnt Hausa and Birom (Birom language is beautiful - if you have opportunity learn it) and Idoma (neighbors). I lived with my uncle who married into an Igala family. I moved to Warri as a teenager and learnt Itsekiri ( a language I already had an ear for since my mother, an Ijebu woman spoke it fluently) and Urhobo - the hardest language for me 2 learn.

Advantages of been a polyglot? Well not much advantage in Nigeria because most Nigerians these days try to pose. I have met some Nigerian parents who are almost bragging about how their kids can ONLY speak English - talk of colomental (Fela RIP). However, I have dated women (who say they will never date this tribe or that tribe) but didn't know I am not from their tribe. I find Idoma and Hausa women to be the most caring and least tribalistic to be honest. If a Yoruba woman really loves you - then your problems are over. She will trek from here to Ogbomosho for you - basically treat you like a god . Igbo women know how to keep house and make you feel comfortable at home. The most beautiful Nigerian woman I ever saw (in flesh not tv or internet) and dated was an Igala from Kogi - Ani Eledumare bo omo ye lewa. When it comes to performance in the bedroom - it has nothing to do with tribe in my opinion but the one Nigerian girl that would do ANYTHING (and I meant ANYTHING) I want in bed was from Langtang. I have gotten some 'connections' from people who thought I was 'one of them.' Every Nigerian tribe IMO have their own strength but tribalism has made it difficult for Nigerians to come together and take full advantage of their diversity.

Because of my experience, I hate tribalism and I laugh at tribalists or give them a dose of their own medicine. In US I see how Nigerians segregate along tribal lines and I shake my damn head. I have seen how members of the 3 major tribes (WAZOBIA) act with such arrogance like the other countless minority tribes don't really exist. Tribes like Tiv, Idoma, Efik etc. see Nigeria in a way that is very difficult for us, the members of the majority tribes, to see. If Nigeria must survive Yorubas, Hausas and Igbos have the responsibility to elevate the discourse and try to be more inclusive of all the other Nigerians whose cultures are as legitimate as ours. grin grin grin grin grin Oro pari (Shikena)

waoh!
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by tonychristopher: 8:00am On Jul 08, 2015
Ceenelly:
I can speak ukwuani/urhobo/isoko fluently, and can grab(understand) igbo to a certain level but i cant communicate with it. I beleive the language i would love to learn is hausa

if you can speak ukwuani then you are speaking an Igbo dialect ..there are many Igbo dialect

you'd be amaze
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by midolian(m): 9:20pm On Aug 15, 2015
NupeZalla:
lols dix ur nupe u try sha
Nda, beke nupe weyo na?
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by austine4real(m): 8:16am On Mar 30, 2017
bouquiy:
Yoruba and Ebira
happy birthday to u

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by babyfaceafrica: 1:18pm On Jul 18, 2017
absoluteSuccess:
Tori-Gbe is egun dialect, but its slightly different from Alada-Gbe, the Egun used in writing. Tori means To-eri (ito eri: Yoruba, river tracers, Itori) or oto ri (nu) people across the river. Fon derive from Nfan, which is Tori for 'I said'. Tori is the language of the Wae-nu. I am partly Fon, partly Yoruba.
please can i ask you some words in egun?
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by absoluteSuccess: 8:06am On Jul 19, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
please can i ask you some words in egun?

Im all ears.
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by babyfaceafrica: 8:09am On Jul 19, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

Im all ears.
hot,cold, warm and cool..thanks sir
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by absoluteSuccess: 8:21am On Jul 19, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
hot,cold, warm and cool..thanks sir

its all the same

hot: e hun meon
cold: e meon.
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by babyfaceafrica: 8:27am On Jul 19, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

its all the same

hot: e hun meon
cold: e meon.
sorry for disturbing,what is Leon and what is ehun...I mean their separate meaning
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by JikanBaura(m): 11:30pm On Jul 19, 2017
Hausa grin And Only Hausa . I understand pigin but I can't speak it. grin
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by absoluteSuccess: 8:00am On Jul 20, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
sorry for disturbing,what is Leon and what is ehun...I mean their separate meaning

e hun mion, (its on fire, literally) meaning its hot.

e o mion: its cold.

e fieh vudeh: or e fieh pevi: its warm/hot a bit.

e fieh taun/ e fieh ghanji: its very hot.
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by babyfaceafrica: 9:58am On Jul 20, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

e hun mion, (its on fire, literally) meaning its hot.

e o mion: its cold.

e fieh vudeh: or e fieh pevi: its warm/hot a bit.

e fieh taun/ e fieh ghanji: its very hot.

God bless you

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Prince Gbadegesin Ogunoye, Olowo Of Owo - Elect Bows Out Of Public Service / Africans/ Deodorant / Lovely Names For Twins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.