Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:49 AM

How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state (59972 Views)

Man Insists On Paying Extra Bride Price After Seeing His Wife In This Dress / 2016 Bride Price In Umuahia, Abia State (photo) / 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by merengue: 6:40pm On May 11, 2015
donshaddow:

May God bless you for taking such a stand.... I had terrible experience on a thread about me being an ukwuani man and not to be called an Igbo.

We are distinctive tribes ans should be called and recognised as one.

www.nairaland.com/2271528/list-igbo-dialects-where-speakers/19#33107549

Just laugh about it and move on; have seen this repeated a million times here and have grown a thick skin to it; no be today e start and no be tomorrow e go end.

2 Likes

Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by gbaskiboy: 6:42pm On May 11, 2015
babygirlfl:
First of all if your going to be marrying one of us, you have to know how to address us. We are not delta Igbo, ( I have no problem whatsoever with Igbo people. Just love to be called with what we really are) we are Deltans or Anioma or if you want to be specific you say Ukwani, Aniocha or Ika.

To your question, generally it's not expensive unless of course the family is a greedy one. In my place the bride price is returned and the traditional marriage is hosted by the brides family with or without the support of the grooms family while the groom's family sponsors the church/court or whatever marriage they choose to do.
yeah agree with you, though not from Delta, but a friend from kwale married from isoko everything goes well without much demand compare to those fellow that comes from south east
Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by donshaddow(m): 6:43pm On May 11, 2015
merengue:

Just laugh about it and move on; have seen this repeated a million times here and have grown a thick skin to it; no be today e start and no be tomorrow e go end.

Thank you jor nwene nmaru!

I argued my azz out that very day.
Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by allcomage: 6:43pm On May 11, 2015
merengue:

I am Ukwuani; Umu-Eziogoli to be precise. Any other question?
Then you are pure Igbo if you don't know where you belong.other tribes in Nigeria and delta state know you as Igbo and that is what you are.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by merengue: 6:48pm On May 11, 2015
allcomage:

Then you are pure Igbo if you don't know where you belong.other tribes in Nigeria and delta state know you as Igbo and that is what you are.

LMAO, take your omniscient, patronizing nonsense to your household dude, have zero interest in debating a non-issue with you.

3 Likes

Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by ibrokola(m): 6:51pm On May 11, 2015
Are there Muslims from Delta origin? Just asking because Edo people are also inter-religious. I've dated a lady from Delta and made friends with their guys! Those people are loyal and fun to be around...
Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by Nobody: 6:52pm On May 11, 2015
DelticStephEn:

My own Agbor speak Benin & have name/surname that originated from Benin?
mr man,I am from Ika & I have no idea of what you are talking about. unless you are talking about Ozarra people.

1. go and check history.... the grand father of Dein of agbor name is Gbenoba; and his great grand father's name is OBanor.
2. OZARA is a clan in Agbor, they speak pure Benin
3. All traditional titles in Agbor is Benin origin eg. Iyase, ozomor, Igumbor, Oje ami, otiku, Akinuwa, arase, ojeba, Abahiangbon and many others.
Im Talking of Agbor, Ika South not Owa where u come from.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by lezz(m): 6:53pm On May 11, 2015
merengue:

So what tribe do you fill instead, Igbo? Apply sense and if you don't have, go and acquire some.
I know Delta isn't a tribe and neither is aniocha or anioma . Anioma is an acronym put together by Osadebey and co to refer to the igbo-speaking people of delta state.

you also cannot refer to a people by their state; Delta is a state comprising 5 different tribes.
aniocha is also the name of 2 local governments in igbo-speaking areas of Delta state.

now tell us what tribe did you fill up when you were applying for jamb -that's if you are from that area and you did go to school ?

or you can furnish us with the details of your employment - that's if you aren't a destitute.

4 Likes

Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by Nobody: 6:54pm On May 11, 2015
Phema:
It's generally inexpensive. Bride price in my villa is 10k for non indigens. You will also be given a list of some items to buy; tubers of yam, gallons of palm wine, kola nut, crates of beer etc. 100k should be enough for everything. This excludes the money for entertainment though.

HML in advance. Welcome to my hood! smiley

100k for wetin
bride price in my village is #500 oo
Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by Nobody: 6:56pm On May 11, 2015
tonychristopher:
akuko..onye ugha

if 80% of old men speak benin why dont the young ones toe the old men or are you telling me that the young agbors are irresponsible and stupid to live their ALMIGHTY BENIN LANGAUGE

example of fake igbo and fake benin

Now my agbor friend IFEANYI OKOWA is an igbo name ,,,,it is not osas or nosa

smell the coffee

wake up

IS OKOWA IGBO? OKOWA MEAN A MAN OR PERSON FROM OWA.... THE LANGUAGE OKO IN THIS ASPECT IS ORIGINATED FROM BENIN.
Ifeanyi is igbo but the real name for ika origin is Ihienyi........ifeanyi or Ihianyi are same.

4 Likes

Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by dumie(f): 6:59pm On May 11, 2015
theshield:

1. go and check history.... the grand father of Dein of agbor name is Gbenoba; and his great grand father's name is OBanor.
2. OZARA is a clan in Agbor, they speak pure Benin
3. All traditional titles in Agbor is Benin origin eg. Iyase, ozomor, Igumbor, Oje ami, otiku, Akinuwa, arase, ojeba, Abahiangbon and many others.
Im Talking of Agbor, Ika South not Owa where u come from.

spot on!

1 Like

Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by ceaz4r(m): 7:00pm On May 11, 2015
babygirlfl:
First of all if your going to be marrying one of us, you have to know how to address us. We are not delta Igbo, ( I have no problem whatsoever with Igbo people. Just love to be called with what we really are) we are Deltans or Anioma or if you want to be specific you say Ukwani, Aniocha or Ika.

To your question, generally it's not expensive unless of course the family is a greedy one. In my place the bride price is returned and the traditional marriage is hosted by the brides family with or without the support of the grooms family while the groom's family sponsors the church/court or whatever marriage they choose to do.

To your first paragraph: views are so different!

5 Likes

Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by reallinks: 7:02pm On May 11, 2015
guy if u cherish ur babe n u r ready to marry u wil go ahead without d public annoucement.... is lyk u r stingy
Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by Nduwin(f): 7:03pm On May 11, 2015
KanwuliaJara:
Girls from DELTA pay for their own bride prices o! cheesy
They are not cheap. . . THEY JUST BUY THEIR OWN HUSBANDS! kiss
bros learn to respect urself,it's not compulsory to comment and don't say what u don't know on public forum.pls

1 Like

Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by Nduwin(f): 7:10pm On May 11, 2015
jayedu108:
Ok for instance my girls parents are all based in lagos,does dat entail dat if we want to prepare for the traditional wedding it will be held here in lagos or we would have to return back to their village to hold the traditional wedding?am still confused here on this cos she was saying it can still be done here in lagos I mean the traditional wedding since her folks are and family are all based in lag.
the traditional rites must be done in d village except ur father-inlaw to be wants to commit a taboo
Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by ruggedlaw(m): 7:26pm On May 11, 2015
Youngman, I am persuaded that you are not ready yet. When you are ready, pls ask your bride to be to take you to her parents or uncles. In Lagos every Anioma family has a head whom you must meet and accord the necessary respect. Your fiancee's dad or mum can help out with this. They will guide you properly in deciding whether to celebrate it in Lagos or the village. One of those uncles will give you a list which varies from family to family but not before what is called introduction or knocking. Don't confuse the bride price with the list, most bride prices are tokens ..sometimes from N100-N500. The content of the list will be determined by whether you are a stranger or native. List for strangers May or May not be up to a N100k..mine was not up to...entertainment is your responsibility.respect for your in-laws is very important....go with extra cash on the D-day for emergencies. By the way, my wife is from Asaba.
Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by nkemdi89(f): 7:30pm On May 11, 2015
In my place in ukwuani, I was told that its 60 naira. For bride price, with little items for d inlaws.though I can't verify if inflation has affected the price. The traditional marriage can take place anywhere the brides parents resides , unlike our brothers from across niger that always insists in taking the rite to the home front. With 50 thousand everything. Can be concluded since the main rites are completed within close members of the family and couples are later presented to the public for reception.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by Macelliot7(m): 7:32pm On May 11, 2015
merengue:

The use of the term "nonetities" is meant for those of our cousins across the Niger who do not believe we have the right of self determination. Nowhere in that post did I insult a whole tribe for the actions of a few morons; that would be me sinking to their level. Have lost count of the number of threads on here where an Anioma person is insulted and ridiculed for saying he/she is an Anioma.
There are bad eggs in some group of people.... I understands you...
I'm in support of the creation of the Anioma State...
Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by BlissB(f): 7:33pm On May 11, 2015
Freemanan:
Okay listen to the Ovie, Delta state varies when it comes to cultural matters..... Apart from the Delta Ibos, bride price tag on the ladies in Delta is so low that even a Fulani herdsman can get two wives from there....
Seconded......d man will only be spending on d party...dats all
Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by olisaokere(m): 7:36pm On May 11, 2015
babygirlfl:

My dear,being called delta Igbo is simply a way to differentiate igbos of delta state from other tribes like the itsekiris,ijaws,isokos etc.if you don't like being called delta Igbo,you would rather asked to be addressed as an Igbo man or woman from delta state as we have other ethnic groups in our state.responding to you as an Igbo man from delta state,I would rather not accept to be called a deltan because we are not regarded as the 'core deltans' by the other ethnic groups that share the same state with us te igbos of delta state am they would forever refer to us rightly as igbos.Anioma as you said is an acronym formed by late Dennis osadebe which is used to bring all igbos of delta state under one unbrella and its never an ethnic name and will never me.The anioma which you prefer to be called is coined from the local governments occupied by the igbo people of delta state,ie ANIOCHA,NDOKWA,IKA,OSHIMILI AND MA was added to it to have a meaning anioma which is an Igbo word meaning GOOD LAND.
And for your information,these local governments that make up the anioma are no ethni groups as well and it will be quite insane to tell us that you are ika,aniocha,or oshimili when asked which tribe or ethnic group you belong.it is more like asking an Igbo man from anambra which ethnic group he or she belongs he comes to say he is ogidi,nnewi or even onitsha ethnic group.if you have problem being identified rightly as an Igbo from delta state,that's your personal problem.its no longer a news that we have bigots from our Igbo part of delta state.however,keep denying who you are but don't drag all of us who are proudly Igbo people from delta state into your myopic view.no insults intended.thanks

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by Mbediogu(m): 7:38pm On May 11, 2015
babygirlfl:

I know u are not Igbo and have no problem with Igbos. Thanks a million for that. I am proudly Igbo with some roots from across the Niger and in my language, Aniocha means 'fair or bright land'. Anioma means 'good land'. Ukwuani means 'the legs of land' while Ika means 'tough'. The greatest and most rugged champions of Biafra are from your area - Nzeogwu, Ochei, Nwajei, Achuzia, Anukwu, etc. You can verify from your parents. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by instaforexngr(m): 7:38pm On May 11, 2015
jayedu108:
Hello people, please I need your advice and comments, as I intend to take my woman to the altar soon, and we are planning ahead towards that particular day we will say 'I do' to each other. Please advice me, as a young guy not that is strong financially but still hustling to be a man his woman will always be proud of. When marrying a girl from Delta, more precisely Delta Igbo, are their girls expensive?

And how much will it cost me for both the traditional and the white wedding? Kindly advice me if you have ever being married to girls from this tribe.

Thanks.
i would advise you rightly, as i also married a lady from Delta. Agbor to be precise.
Their brideprice is highly affordable and negotiable.
They are also understanding, just make sure you don't show yourself too much that you have money.

Compared to the core Ibos of Anambra/Imo, i feel your brideprice is negligible if you are marrying a Delta Igbo Lady.

2 Likes

Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by comfy16(f): 7:40pm On May 11, 2015
lbusa bride price is not expensive
Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by Macelliot7(m): 7:42pm On May 11, 2015
merengue:

The use of the term "nonetities" is meant for those of our cousins across the Niger who do not believe we have the right of self determination. Nowhere in that post did I insult a whole tribe for the actions of a few morons; that would be me sinking to their level. Have lost count of the number of threads on here where an Anioma person is insulted and ridiculed for saying he/she is an Anioma.
But bro, why do you dislike being Igbo... All these never existed before until after the civil war...
Remember that it was a Anioma man who lead a coup that cause the Civil war...

Bro, be proud of being Igbo... We know we are in hard times..... A period of political marginalization...
A great man prepares himself for a great challenge....
Remain blessed...

2 Likes

Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by Macelliot7(m): 7:53pm On May 11, 2015
instaforexngr:

i would advise you rightly, as i also married a lady from Delta. Agbor to be precise.
Their brideprice is highly affordable and negotiable.
They are also understanding, just make sure you don't show yourself too much that you have money.

Compared to the core Ibos of Anambra/Imo, i feel your brideprice is negligible if you are marrying a Delta Igbo Lady.

I detest the use of CORE Igbo.... Igbo bu Igbo.... Nothing like core or ordinary....
I wish I can hold a strong position or becomes the President of the Ohaneze Ndigbo...
The Ohanezes of now are blind....

2 Likes

Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by UfuosLaLa: 8:03pm On May 11, 2015
KanwuliaJara:
Girls from DELTA pay for their own bride prices o! cheesy
They are not cheap. . . THEY JUST BUY THEIR OWN HUSBANDS! kiss
Abeg make una dey use una sense sometimes abeg.

1 Like

Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by Nobody: 8:07pm On May 11, 2015
BlissB:
Seconded......d man will only be spending on d party...dats all

Exactly my sister... Mingwo

1 Like

Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by Malaukt: 8:08pm On May 11, 2015
I have 2 friends one married Igbo from Imo the other married Urhobo from from Delta. The guy that married igbo really spent much despite claims from the wife's family that everything has been subsidised! The other who married Urhobo spent not much ( the wife's family also waded in and ensured that everything is affordable).
My traditional marriage to a Deltan is coming up next month 06/06. She is from Ndokwa East. So far everything is going on smoothly....expenditure including the bride price is not outrageous and they have told me categorically that am not expected to fund the traditional wedding except if i choose to.
Interestingly I and the 2 other friends (married to the Igbo and Urhobo) are from Plateau state!!! I love naija.

3 Likes

Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by einsteino(m): 8:11pm On May 11, 2015
i am ika, the most expensive bride price ever in my family was ten thousand naira. that was my cousins, followed by my sister's two thousand naira. till tomorrow i still tease her husband that if he misbehaves one of the nieces/nephews in the family can pay him off.

4 Likes

Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by Nobody: 8:14pm On May 11, 2015
ibrokola:
Are there Muslims from Delta origin? Just asking because Edo people are also inter-religious. I've dated a lady from Delta and made friends with their guys! Those people are loyal and fun to be around...

No my man.... No root of Muslims at all

1 Like

Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by dckelvin(m): 8:16pm On May 11, 2015
theshield:

IS OKOWA IGBO? OKOWA MEAN A MAN OR PERSON FROM OWA.... THE LANGUAGE OKO IN THIS ASPECT IS ORIGINATED FROM BENIN.
Ifeanyi is igbo but the real name for ika origin is Ihienyi........ifeanyi or Ihianyi are same.
Guy,am beginning to doubt if u are really from delta for you to say dat OKO originated fro Benin
Re: How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state by harry509: 8:16pm On May 11, 2015
jayedu108:
Hello people, please I need your advice and comments, as I intend to take my woman to the altar soon, and we are planning ahead towards that particular day we will say 'I do' to each other. Please advice me, as a young guy not that is strong financially but still hustling to be a man his woman will always be proud of. When marrying a girl from Delta, more precisely Delta Igbo, are their girls expensive?

And how much will it cost me for both the traditional and the white wedding? Kindly advice me if you have ever being married to girls from this tribe.

Thanks.
well it depnd on d family of d girl ooh. Yu shud look @ it on d oda angle ooh, if she is a graduate mayb d family wil tell yu 2 pay higher, bt if she is nt a graduate yu Rr dam lucky man. Jst moreless gvin u a vehicle of dsame type, 1 of dem has AC bt d oda 1 has no AC and d amout will b diff now. and u also kw dat nigeria weather is hot dis days u kw wat I mean dude. So... U pay higher if ur babe na graduate.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Father And Son Rock Same Outfit (pictured) / My Husband Caught Me Masturbating, What Do I Do? / 29-Year-Old Mother Of 4 Dies After Abortion, Impregnated By 25-Year-Old Boyfrien

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.