Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,214 members, 7,780,401 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:37 PM

List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. (12627 Views)

Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) / The Most Powerful Gods Of Orisha Oko Is For Sale / Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by fightforchange1(f): 4:09am On May 10, 2015
I am studying the ifa scriptures and would like to know just how many are there and what are their functions and role in spirituality ?
Re: List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by macof(m): 12:26pm On May 10, 2015
Where are you studying? Are you learning from an initiate or learning it as a university course?

This way I can know how best to help you
Re: List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by fightforchange1(f): 1:28pm On May 10, 2015
macof:
Where are you studying? Are you learning from an initiate or learning it as a university course?

This way I can know how best to help you
I bought booKs about it.... And online...ill eventually take a new course.
Re: List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by fightforchange1(f): 1:41pm On May 10, 2015
I was just wanting to add they have ifa temples in the usa. All you pagan should come to the usa to check it out....ifatempleoflosangeles.com

1 Like

Re: List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by macof(m): 4:27pm On May 10, 2015
fightforchange1:

I bought booKs about it.... And online...ill eventually take a new course.
ok
you might not be aware but listing Orisa is very difficult because they differ from region to region, even between families
Ifa doesn't give the final standard for such devotions
Ones grandma could be an orisa devoted to
, the founder of a dynasty etc

But Irunmole is another thing, these ones have a standard by Ifa
401 Irunmole can be available on earth
Re: List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by fightforchange1(f): 4:58pm On May 10, 2015
macof:
ok
you might not be aware but listing Orisa is very difficult because they differ from region to region, even between families
Ifa doesn't give the final standard for such devotions
Ones grandma could be an orisa devoted to
, the founder of a dynasty etc

But Irunmole is another thing, these ones have a standard by Ifa
401 Irunmole can be available on earth

Ohh ok. So could you give a list of the ones you know and their functions?
Re: List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by fightforchange1(f): 5:02pm On May 10, 2015
fightforchange1:

And d orunmole ones.
Re: List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by macof(m): 9:01pm On May 11, 2015
fightforchange1:

Obatala - creator Spirit, sent to make the human body, clarity of mind, assigns divine energy (Ase )
Orunmila - keeper of knowledge, repairer of bad luck and misfortune, omniscient one, giver of intellect
Ogun - Lord of metallic elements, creator of bones, first of the Spirits to arrive earth, clearer of the way (removes obstacles)
Yemoja - mother of life, mother of water, mother of fishes, mother of the Spirits
Jakuta (Sango) - judge and fighter against the unjust and wicked, spirit of lightening and thunder, son of fire
Olomitutu (Osun) - freshwater spirit, rivers, protector of abused and vulnerable women, female Sexuality
Olokun - spirit of great waters, seas and oceans, mother of wealth, keeper of the deep, protector of sailors and explorers
Oya - winds, storm, fighter woman, announcer of life and death
Oba - I don't know much about her but there is a river named Oba
Ologunsese (Osossi) - hunter protector, pathfinder
Oduduwa - Great mother goddess, creator Spirit, transformer, matter formation and expansion
Aje - spirit of trade, business and owner of wealth
Aroni - beauty of nature, spirit of the forest, owner of plants and trees
Osanyin - Spirit of health, owner of herbs

I believe this is helpful

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by bigfrancis21: 12:16am On May 12, 2015
macof:

Obatala - creator Spirit, sent to make the human body, clarity of mind, assigns divine energy (Ase )
Orunmila - keeper of knowledge, repairer of bad luck and misfortune, omniscient one, giver of intellect
Ogun - Lord of metallic elements, creator of bones, first of the Spirits to arrive earth, clearer of the way (removes obstacles)
Yemoja - mother of life, mother of water, mother of fishes, mother of the Spirits
Jakuta (Sango) - judge and fighter against the unjust and wicked, spirit of lightening and thunder, son of fire
Olomitutu (Osun) - freshwater spirit, rivers, protector of abused and vulnerable women, female Sexuality
Olokun - spirit of great waters, seas and oceans, mother of wealth, keeper of the deep, protector of sailors and explorers
Oduduwa - Great mother goddess, creator Spirit, transformer, matter formation and expansion

Unbanned from anti-spam's clutches of death. grin
Re: List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by macof(m): 12:21am On May 12, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Unbanned from anti-spam's clutches of death. grin
Lol thanks
Re: List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by fightforchange1(f): 12:32am On May 12, 2015
macof:

I know those theu r the most important in the religion.
But thanks anyways
Re: List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by macof(m): 12:43am On May 12, 2015
fightforchange1:

I know those theu r the most important in the religion.
But thanks anyways
You're welcome
Surely only an initiated Awo wit years of experience can list close to 100
It's almost impossible to know all 401

Maybe cus most of the 401 are usually compressed into one cult under one name...I think this process produces the pataki

There are others I have heard of but I don't know their roles eg Ayelala, Oro
Re: List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by fightforchange1(f): 1:23am On May 12, 2015
macof:

You're welcome
Surely only an initiated Awo wit years of experience can list close to 100
It's almost impossible to know all 401

Maybe cus most of the 401 are usually compressed into one cult under one name...I think this process produces the pataki

There are others I have heard of but I don't know their roles eg Ayelala, Oro

Ok kool thanks man
Hey i wanna b ur friend...
Maybe we could chat....
Re: List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by Nobody: 3:21am On May 12, 2015
The Orisa listed above are the most powerful that's why they are so well known. A deity that has yet to be listed is Oronsen . Not sure what purpose she serves but she is the reason for the Igogo Festival in Ondo.

http://owoigogofestival..com/2013/08/owo-igogo-festival.html

Also, there are the Iyaami, the witches. They are less powerful than the Orisa.

http://orishada.com/wordpress/?page_id=44
Re: List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by macof(m): 11:30am On May 12, 2015
fightforchange1:

Ok kool thanks man
Hey i wanna b ur friend...
Maybe we could chat....

Sure you can reach me via email
Re: List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by Nobody: 12:06pm On May 12, 2015
AABeauty:
The Orisa listed above are the most powerful that's why they are so well known. A deity that has yet to be listed is Oronsen . Not sure what purpose she serves but she is the reason for the Igogo Festival in Ondo.

http://owoigogofestival..com/2013/08/owo-igogo-festival.html

Also, there are the Iyaami, the witches. They are less powerful than the Orisa.

http://orishada.com/wordpress/?page_id=44

Apart from Obatala, Esu, Ogun and maybe Orunmila who work with Olodumare, I would not say the others on the list are the most powerful. Each seem to have acquired fame from roles they play in the balance of everyday life. There are many other orisas perculiar to many Yoruba towns and never heard of yet very powerful.

The emboldened: Iyaami (mo ju'ba!) are not less powerful than Orisa. In fact, they are easier to offend, much more brutal and hard to appease (asides Obatala).

I would not rank them behind Orisa.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by Nobody: 4:14pm On May 12, 2015
9jacrip:

Apart from Obatala, Esu, Ogun and maybe Orunmila who work with Olodumare, I would not say the others on the list are the most powerful. Each seem to have acquired fame from roles they play in the balance of everyday life. There are many other orisas perculiar to many Yoruba towns and never heard of yet very powerful.

The emboldened: Iyaami (mo ju'ba!) are not less powerful than Orisa. In fact, they are easier to offend, much more brutal and hard to appease (asides Obatala).

@9jacrip you may be right. Maybe more popular would have been better. In the diaspora, many people believe Osun is the head of the Iyaami. I've heard Nigerian Yoruba debunk this belief by saying that Osun is an Orisa and as such is more powerful than the Iyaami, but that clearly can be up for a debate.

@Op I've only been studying Ifa-Orisa traditions for two years but I've never heard or seen a full list of Orisa. I don't know if it exists.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by fightforchange1(f): 4:24pm On May 12, 2015
AABeauty:

@9jacrip you may be right. Maybe more popular would have been better. In the diaspora, many people believe Osun is the head of the Iyaami. I've heard Nigerian Yoruba debunk this belief by saying that Osun is an Orisa and as such is more powerful than the Iyaami, but that clearly can be up for a debate.

@Op I've only been studying Ifa-Orisa traditions for two years but I've never heard or seen a full list of Orisa. I don't know if it exists.

Youre alot like me .... I am gonna study ifa till i know all of dem.
Afro americans need to do the same.
Youre awesome.
Can we chat
Where are at in the world.
Re: List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by Nobody: 4:49pm On May 12, 2015
AABeauty:

I'm glad we both share the same thoughts of popularity of these Orisas.

Actually, Osun has no link with awon Iya.

Orisa are/were mostly powerful humans who were very powerul and had some form of percularity to them. Their percularity and way of life is what the devotees follow and also pray to God the creator through them or ask them for favours directly.

Same thing can be said to Iya but rather than have devotees, they have membership who get as much powers as possibly with growth and many sacrifices.

Orisas mostly look to God to grant request while offering protection, awon Iya call the shot as far as ile aye is concerned and they hold it in their hands.

Orisas guide human towards leading a positive life based on emulation in order for good reincarnation while awon Iya gives human crazy terrestial powers that often turns bad/backfires in the end.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by Nobody: 4:55pm On May 12, 2015
fightforchange1:

Youre awesome.
Can we chat

I like the zeal you exude but please the study of Ifa is a lifetime thing which you can do. I just need to stress the importance of getting initiated into Ifa first and getting your own personal Ifa - that way you get into awo (Ifa circle) with many folks at your disposal to ask many questions and seek tutorials from.

Please be careful of con folks during your journey.

God bless.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by fightforchange1(f): 5:03pm On May 12, 2015
9jacrip:

I like the zeal you exude but please the study of Ifa is a lifetime thing which you can do. I just need to stress the importance of getting initiated into Ifa first and getting your own personal Ifa - that way you get into awo (Ifa circle) with many folks at your disposal to ask many questions and seek tutorials from.

God bless.

Oh ok...
Yeah theres a church in los angeles that i wanna attend but i know i have to be serious.
So i have to b disciplined and focus...
There awo named falokun fatunbi
And i read some of his lit.
Hes a white guy and hes a really cool person..
I befriended him on Facebook.
I have his books on my kindle amazon market sell his books.
I was delighted to read them
Re: List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by Nobody: 5:10pm On May 12, 2015
fightforchange1:

Oh ok...
Yeah theres a church in los angeles that i wanna attend but i know i have to be serious.
So i have to b disciplined and focus...
There awo named falokun fatunbi
And i read some of his lit.
Hes a white guy and hes a really cool person..
I befriended him on Facebook.
I have his books on my kindle amazon market sell his books.
I was delighted to read them

To be honest, I am not on the side of the divide of those who write books on Ifa and Isese as a whole. Presently, I am still rattled over how one of my uncles wrote a book on Obatala initiation process and stuff.

Reason being 1. These folks are after moneyary gain which Ifa is averse to.

2. The core of being a babalawo is having every odu, every verse and herbs in your head.

3. Many call it moving towards modernization and also in order not to lose details. For me, if these ifa and all could be written for anyone to buy and read then what is the use of awo and initiations into awo.

My reservations for those who write books on isese is endless, do not let me bore you with it.

Attending the ijo over there is a good thing but I would implore you to visit Yoruba land, do a thoroug initiation, build a rapport with the awo here and take it from there.

1 Like

Re: List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by Nobody: 12:29am On May 16, 2015
fightforchange1:

Youre awesome.
Can we chat

I don't think its possible to know all the Orisa's names but good luck.

I see that you emailed but I can't figure out how to check it.
Re: List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by fightforchange1(f): 2:11am On May 16, 2015
AABeauty:

I don't think its possible to know all the Orisa's names but good luck.

I see that you emailed but I can't figure out how to check it.
Uh you just hit reply.
Re: List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by Babacele: 2:17pm On May 27, 2015
macof:

bros I want to learn more about Osossi. I have a strong feeling it will help in a personal research abt a town sharing a name almost d same with Osossi.
Re: List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by macof(m): 9:03pm On May 27, 2015
Babacele:
bros I want to learn more about Osossi. I have a strong feeling it will help in a personal research abt a town sharing a name almost d same with Osossi.

What town is that? What state?

To find out about any particular Orisa/Irunmole you get a babalawo or an elder initiated into the cult of the said Irunmole

Historically Osossi was the guard of the hunter - king Oreluere (9jacrip should know more about that than me)
Re: List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by Babacele: 5:43am On May 28, 2015
macof:

What town is that? What state?

To find out about any particular Orisa/Irunmole you get a babalawo or an elder initiated into the cult of the said Irunmole

Historically Osossi was the guard of the hunter - king Oreluere (9jacrip should know more about that than me)

OK bro.
Re: List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by Babacele: 6:22am On May 28, 2015
9jacrip:

what about mothers? I know there is a saying that ' Orissa bi iya kosi' meaning there is no deity like a mother.
Re: List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by hustla(m): 8:58am On Mar 13, 2016
9jacrip:

God bless.

Can I send u a private message or do u have an email I cn reach u on?
Re: List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by Nobody: 5:46pm On Mar 14, 2016
hustla:

Can I send u a private message or do u have an email I cn reach u on?

Yes sir, you may.
Re: List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by hustla(m): 7:11pm On Mar 14, 2016
9jacrip:

Yes sir, you may.

Done
Pls reply
Re: List Of Orisha Deities And Spiritual Power. by Nobody: 7:17pm On Mar 14, 2016
hustla:

Done
Pls reply

Tried to reply but it got returned.

(1) (2) (Reply)

8 Historical Reasons Why Ijaw claim to Ndoki Is Baseless. / Being A Nigerian In Kenya / Ibeyi Talk About Their Yoruba Heritage In A New Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.