Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,273 members, 7,807,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:39 PM

History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) (72833 Views)

Is This A Beauty Contest? - Northern Girls / The Isoko People Of Delta State : Facts & Factlets / Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) by Chigold101(m): 8:05pm On May 10, 2015
Jukun are an ethno-linguistic group or ethnic nation in West Africa. The Jukun are traditionally located in Taraba, Benue, Nasarawa, Plateau, Adamawa, and Gombe States in Nigeria and parts of northwestern Cameroon. They are descendants of the people of the Kwararafa kingdom. Most of the tribes in the north central of Nigeria trace their origin to the Jukun people and are related in one way or the other to the Jukuns. If not for the coming of both Christianity and Islam the Jukun people were traditionalists. Most of the tribes, Alago, Agatu, Rendere, Gumai in Shendam, and others left Kwararafa when it disintegrated as a result of a power tussle. The Jukuns are divided into two major groups; the Jukun Wanu and Jukun Wapa. The Jukun Wanu are fishermen residing along the banks of the river Benue and Niger where they run through Taraba state, Benue state and Nasarawa state.[citation needed] The Wukari Federation, headed by the Aku Uka of Wukari, is now the main center of the Jukun people.[2]

History
Kwararafa
The Jukun-speaking peoples trace their ancestry to the rulers of the kingdom of Kwararafa, a state which existed in Western Africa from the 14th through to the 18th centuries.

Modern history[edit]
As a result of the Fulani conquests at the beginning of the 19th century, the Jukun-speaking peoples became politically divided into various regional factions.[1] By the 1920s, the main body of the Jukun population, known as the Wapâ, resided in and around Wukari, where they were governed by the local king and his administration.[1] Other Jukun-speaking peoples living in the Benue basin, such as those of Abinsi, Awei District, Donga and Takum, remained politically separate from the Wukari government, whilst the Jukun-speakers living in Adamawa Province recognised the governorship of the Fulani Emir of Muri.[1]

In the post-colonial period, Nigeria has suffered violence which is the result of multiple ethnic tensions between the different communities living in the country. Ethnic tension exists between the Jukun and the neighbouring Tiv community.

Socio-political organisation
Monarchy[edit]
Traditionally, Jukun society was governed by a monarchy.

Studies of the Jukun[edit]
In 1931, the academic publishing company Kegan Paul, Trubner & Co. published A Sudanese Kingdom: An Ethnographic Study of the Jukun-speaking Peoples of Nigeria, a book which had been written by the Briton C.K. Meek, the Anthropological Officer stationed with the Administrative Service in Nigeria.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jukun_people_(West_Africa)

Jukun, a people living on the upper Benue River in Nigeria, commonly believed to be descendants of the people of Kororofa, one of the most powerful Sudanic kingdoms during the late European Middle Ages. The ruins of a great settlement to the northeast of the Jukun’s present location are thought to be those of the capital of that kingdom, but the claim has not been thoroughly investigated by archaeologists.

The population speak a language of the Benue-Congo branch of the Niger-Congo family. The people comprise a congeries of many smaller groups, each organized on a different basis, although polygynous extended families seem to be the dominant unit.

The Jukun traditionally possessed a complex system of offices, which had both a political and a religious aspect; the priesthood practiced an involved form of religion marked by diurnal and annual rounds of ritual and sacrifice. The king, called Aka Uku, was—until he became a member of northern Nigeria’s house of chiefs in 1947—a typical example of a semidivine priest-king.

Source: http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/307741/Jukun

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) by odedipapa(m): 8:26pm On May 10, 2015
Nice piece

*Modified* First to comment at last.
Re: History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) by resty4(m): 9:28pm On May 10, 2015
jukunawans r reknown warriors.
Politically c how de do APC gubenatorial candidate in d re run election,Senator Aisha Jummai Alhassan aka mama taraba "shaige".

1 Like

Re: History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) by Chigold101(m): 9:36pm On May 10, 2015
resty4:
jukunawans r reknown warriors.
Politically c how de do APC gubenatorial candidate in d re run election,Senator Aisha Jummai Alhassan aka mama taraba "shaige".
lolzzz you are funny oh... I dont want APC warriors to come here & start PDP/APC fight oh
Re: History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) by Chigold101(m): 9:45pm On May 10, 2015
Culture Moderators Fulaman198,
odumchi,
bigfrancis21

Oya make una do the needful here...

Lalasticlala & Ishilove make all of una help do the needful on this thread... I thank una very much
Re: History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) by Chigold101(m): 10:00pm On May 10, 2015
odedipapa:
Nice piece
thanks... We just have to take a little break from always talking about hausa, Igbo & yoruba and talk about other tribes that are in NIGERIA.

Anybody that knows more than i have posted here about Jukun people should also add it here...

If you know about their believe in crocodile... We also need to know it right here...

7 Likes

Re: History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) by Nobody: 10:01pm On May 10, 2015
the way i leave dis thread angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) by okooloyun1(m): 10:02pm On May 10, 2015
Good job
Re: History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) by yimikaa: 10:02pm On May 10, 2015
Mangye

2 Likes

Re: History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) by Funjosh(m): 10:03pm On May 10, 2015
Fulaman198 I see you my Fulani brother from another mother wink

OP I saw somewhere in your post you made mentioned of the Agatu people of Benue State; are they Idoma or Jukun
Re: History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) by Pavore9: 10:03pm On May 10, 2015
History class....
Re: History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) by baybeeboi: 10:04pm On May 10, 2015
jukum.......juju......fish.
Fear them.
Re: History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) by gbaskiboy: 10:04pm On May 10, 2015
O
Re: History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) by zicoraads: 10:04pm On May 10, 2015
And the poster forgot to add that the Junkuns are extremely troublesome and never, ever pass up an opportunity to go to war. They are still very backward and sometimes I feel they need to be re-colonized.

Living together with them is not something I would even wish for my 'enemy.'

5 Likes

Re: History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) by bosschinalu(m): 10:04pm On May 10, 2015
Space bought
Re: History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) by ayobamog(m): 10:05pm On May 10, 2015
good to knw
Re: History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) by kindnyce(m): 10:05pm On May 10, 2015
A WARRIOR TRIBES THAT CONQUERED MOST OF KINGDOM OF PRESENT HAUSA CITY-SATES

4 Likes

Re: History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) by gbaskiboy: 10:05pm On May 10, 2015
Is typing a message....................
Re: History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) by CharlieMaria(m): 10:06pm On May 10, 2015
Ok
Re: History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) by gbaskiboy: 10:06pm On May 10, 2015
zicoraads:
Nairaland!!!!!!!!!!
Re: History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) by seedorfg(m): 10:07pm On May 10, 2015
junkun people are too dull
Re: History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) by Nobody: 10:08pm On May 10, 2015
undecided
No be this people wen no de pass the same road with Tiv people?? angry angry angry

3 Likes

Re: History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) by lonelydora: 10:09pm On May 10, 2015
If I say I know anything about Jukun people, make I naked bath for bathroom.

AMAECHI! MY ROLE MODEL
PRISCAOGE! MY LOVE.
Re: History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) by 4everGrand(m): 10:10pm On May 10, 2015
I served in MGGS Wukari, its a pity wat wukari, once peaceful has become. Cool place. Who knows wat has become of Biyama hospital just adjacent MGGS.
Re: History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) by Nobody: 10:11pm On May 10, 2015
seedorfg:
junkun people are too dull

And you better stop being a bigot.

4 Likes

Re: History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) by Nobody: 10:12pm On May 10, 2015
loudspeaker123:
jukun sounds funny to me
Really? Keep laughing at your countrymen.....it's really classy.
Re: History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) by letsbet(m): 10:13pm On May 10, 2015
Their name alone sound like
Worriors! from secondary school text books grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) by PRYCE(m): 10:13pm On May 10, 2015
yimikaa:
Mangye
kyabyenni?
Re: History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) by Tenim47(m): 10:13pm On May 10, 2015
bushdoc9919:
And you better stop being a bigot.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pictures Of Ethiopian Women Who Beg To Be Whipped / List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. / Origin Of Various Igbo Clans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.