Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,326 members, 7,808,099 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:12 AM

Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA (128638 Views)

Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America / 5 Things You Should Considered Before Coming To Study In The UK / Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by justwise(m): 9:06am On May 14, 2015
SisterCaro:
i really dont know which point you are drivin at with this...? undecided i already some said who were not illegal immigrants including South Africans fell victim. So i dont see why you want to go over and over again just not to reach a sensible conclusion at the end of it.

Simple English. Aim was attacking illegal immigrants but the end result was even those who do not belong to that category were adversely affected

Bear with me SisterCaro, i went to night school, not as clever as you are.

I guess the point i'm trying to make is that the attackers targeted foreigners in general who they claimed was taking their jobs, it got nothing to do with their immigration status.

3 Likes

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by SisterCaro(m): 9:11am On May 14, 2015
justwise:

I guess the point i'm trying to make is that the attackers targeted foreigners in general who they claimed was taking their jobs, it got nothing to do with their immigration status.
the areas attacked where those were majority had an illegal status and thats the point i have put across. It was never directed at foreigners in Sandton or Centurion( where most of them would have legal status) it was in areas were you will mostly find those living illegally in SA.

4 Likes

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by justwise(m): 9:17am On May 14, 2015
SisterCaro:
the areas attacked where those were majority had an illegal status and thats the point i have put across. It was never directed at foreigners in Sandton or Centurion( where most of them would have legal status) it was in areas were you will mostly find those living illegally in SA.

They attacked Africans living in those areas...illegal or not... they are the easy target

3 Likes

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by SisterCaro(m): 9:19am On May 14, 2015
justwise:

They attacked Africans living in those areas...illegal or not... they are the easy target
whatever makes you sleep at night. As a mod can we stop derailing the thread and go back to discussing the intial purpose of the thread? undecided
An if you need anymore help with that i will refer to the first 3 posts made my the OP smiley

1 Like

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by samtol4(m): 9:23am On May 14, 2015
PAINGAIN:
that's bcus 90 percent of nigerians here are into selling of drugs,some out of frustration bcus of lack of job opportunities,no money, etc. I work for department of justice here in SA, 98 percent of court cases nigerians answer to are drug related and that is in almost every court house in SA everyday. So that's why naija people r termed drug lords. Its not an accusation, its reality.
Your 90percent of Nigerians into drugs is laughable and embarrassing to your mathematics teacher .Do you work in department of Justice in all province?What is the percentage of Nigerians working in Universities?what abt the medical doctors?u mean 90percent are drug sellers? Seems u don't understand 90percent .what percentage are schooling?what percentage are the women? .You mean only Nigerians are into drug business?that is absolute lie.From my research Chinese,pakistans ,SA and Nigerians do drug business but Nigerians make noise about their sales and buy expensive car Why are they not arrested and prosecuted?It is because the SA government is making profit from this few drug lords .

4 Likes

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by justwise(m): 9:23am On May 14, 2015
SisterCaro:
whatever makes you sleep at night. As a mod can we stop derailing the thread and go back to discussing the intial purpose of the thread? undecided

This is not derailing, things you need to know before going to SA should include area not to visit else you be attacked by some uneducated animals.

6 Likes

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by takin35(m): 9:36am On May 14, 2015
What about me,I am just using just 3 days I have a brother over there to stay with hope I will be allowed @ the pory of entry?
Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by samtol4(m): 9:44am On May 14, 2015
SisterCaro:
ah meaning everyone staying in sandton is legal?and everyone staying in township likely to b ilegal?This assertion is baseless and ridiculous ."Most attacked were illegal"ah please don't say what you don't know .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by samtol4(m): 9:46am On May 14, 2015
justwise:

correct

1 Like

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by SisterCaro(m): 10:45am On May 14, 2015
samtol4:
ah meaning everyone staying in sandton is legal?and everyone staying in township likely to b ilegal?

When you saw the words "majority" and "most" you automatically traslated it to mean everyone abi? You cant really blame your misinterpretation me smiley

his assertion is baseless and ridiculous . "Most attacked were illegal"
ah please don't say what you don't know .
this is exaxtly what happened so i don know what you are on about

1 Like

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by SisterCaro(m): 10:57am On May 14, 2015
justwise:
[/b]

This is not derailing, things you need to know before going to SA should include area not to visit else you be attacked by some uneducated animals.
it has been declared that the situation has been stabilised. Do u forbid people to go to the world trade centre because it was bombed on 9/11? You are nowhere near SA and you dont know the current situation is it not showing the utmost ignorance to keep talking about something u know nothing of on your behalf? Honestly!

Seriously majority of your live from paycheck to paycheck until Jesus Christ comes reach 30yrs living abroad and still live under someone else's roof. Die have people back home pay for your body to be sent back home.

While those fortunate enough to get mortgages live to pay up that debt and have nothing else to show for after years over slavery in the West. But tell me has any of these hardships your face daily as African men in Western countries stopped you from encouraging others to come over and suffer the way you do? No!

Stop acting like the credit agreements many of you live on but barely can afford are anything better. The racial discrimination your face on the streets and work place.

Yes SA has its challenges but at least most foreign nations who make it out here , still have something to show off for their hard labour. But are you guys in a better situation simply because u live in Western countries where no one on NL can see your enormous unpaid debts you have to keep up with on you average salaries until Christ comes? really doubt that smiley

1 Like

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by justwise(m): 11:17am On May 14, 2015
SisterCaro:
it has been declared that the situation has been stabilised. Do u forbid people to go to the world trade centre because it was bombed on 9/11? You are nowhere near SA and you dont know the current situation is it not showing the utmost ignorance to keep talking about something u know nothing of on your behalf? Honestly!

Seriously majority of your live from paycheck to paycheck until Jesus Christ comes reach 30yrs living abroad and still live under someone else's roof. Die have people back home pay for your body to be sent back home.

While those fortunate enough to get mortgages live to pay up that debt and have nothing else to show for after years over slavery in the West. But tell me has any of these hardships your face daily as African men in Western countries stopped you from encouraging others to come over and suffer the way you do? No!

Stop acting like the credit agreements many of you live on but barely can afford are anything better.

Yes SA has its challenges but at least most foreign nations who make it out here , still have something to show off for their hard labour. But are you guys in a better situation simply because u live in Western countries where no one on NL can see your enormous unpaid debts you have to keep up with on you average salaries until Christ comes? really doubt that smiley

Stop talking nonsense, i have been to SA more than once, i lived in Zimbabwe for more than 3yrs and we do our shopping in SA when Zim starting going down and shops are empty.

Comparing 9/11 to what happened in SA is pure ignorant, in SA a community was attacking foreigners encouraged by their king and Zuma's son while in 9/11 was one-of terrorist attack that killed both foreigners and Americans.

Saying that people are living from pay cheque to pay cheque shows how little you know about jack, who told you that everybody in the west lives like that?

Its a shame to hear a South African calling another African a slave, this is the same people who were born as slaves, brought up by their slave masters and still largely been supported by their slave masters.

7 Likes

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by SisterCaro(m): 11:32am On May 14, 2015
justwise:
Stop talking nonsense, i have been to SA more than once, i lived in Zimbabwe for more 3yrs and we do our shopping in SA when Zim starting going down and shops are empty
was this in 2015 after the xenophobia incident? So because have been in SA years back you can tell what the current situation is?

comparing 9/11 to what happened in SA is pure ignorant, in SA a community was attacking foreigners encouraged by their king and Zuma's son while in 9/11 was one-of terrorist attack that killed both foreigners and Americans
it was on news that South African national died too correct me if im wrong. How is it ignorance when in both incident innocent people both foreign and citizens were injured and some died. Did people not move on since the 9/11 attack? Why should we not encourage people to move on since the xenophobia attacks were stabilised? undecided now you know where the pure ignorance is coming from and its definitely not from my end

saying that people are living from pay cheque to pay cheque shows how little you know about jack, who told you that everybody in the west lives like that?
we are not blind to the fact that a good number of you live from paycheck to paycheck for decades and decades but you will come here and paint an African country black grin

This is the same people who were born as slaves, brought up by their slave masters and still largely been supported by their slave masters.
correct me if im wrong but it is the same slavery that many Nigerians have been subjected to by their government run by black people that made you leave Nigeria to look for greener pastures in a white man's land? Its rather unfortunate that Nigerians in Nigeria until the present day have been subejected to porverty and slavery by fellow black men. Paying taxes for results you never see and going for months and some cases years without pay looks pretty much like slavery to me undecided is that liberty in your eyes?

8 Likes

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by SisterCaro(m): 11:41am On May 14, 2015
guttentag:
I was given two weeks visa to SA but I intend to stay for a month, please how should I go about it?
dont overstay if you dont want any complications in the future.

1 Like

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by guttentag(m): 1:34pm On May 14, 2015
SisterCaro:
dont overstay if you dont want any complications in the future.

Sorry, what sort of complication and what is the cost for over stay
Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by DieVluit: 1:51pm On May 14, 2015
LeSudAfricaine:
Bedford View is an affluent suburb north of Joburg. Lot's of malls. Business etc

Just a slight correction. Bedfordview is east of Johannesburg. It's on the East Rand. And Nigerians who want to have an easier time in South Africa would do well to actually study and understand the history and values of the country, because it is possible to stay in South Africa for years and to be a perpetual outsider. Lots of misinformed posts here, some from Nigerians in South Africa. If you do not do your homework and make sure you understand your hosts, you cannot expect them to embrace you.

On that topic, you could start by understanding what South Africans mean when they talk about "the Rand". The "East Rand". "The West Rand". "Witwaters-rand". "Rand Water". "Ten Rand". What does all that mean? Where does it come from? What makes South Africa tick? Etc. If you are only trying to learn about the country based on what you can suck out of it, for yourself, you will be rejected.

1 Like

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by DieVluit: 1:59pm On May 14, 2015
LeSudAfricaine:
ha ha ha, bru I'm South African born and bred, we can't argue about my country I know it like I know the back of my hand you can't teach me anything, The presence of bulidings alone does not make an area developed, yes the infrastructure is there but it's crumbling, Hillbrow over the years has degenerated into a slum, it is a shadow of what it once was, derelict buildings, open sewers, litter everywhere etc, there are slums in New York, Paris and London, Hillbrow is one slum of Johannesburg .To say no Nigerian in SA live in slums is laughable

I agree with you, LeSudAfricaine. Many foreigners stay in secluded social "enclaves" in South Africa and you find that they do not understand the country even after years of having been there. If you do not do your homework so that you can integrate yourself into the country, you will continue being seen as a foreigner. Part of the integration process is understanding the history and social fabric of the place. Anyone who denies that Hillbrow is a slum has not even begun to understand the country. The definition of a slum is as follows:

"A squalid and overcrowded urban street or district inhabited by very poor people." _ That is Hillbrow, no matter how you look at it.

And then saying that a township is another name for a slum is something that an uninformed foreigner would say. Where do townships come from, historically? Why were they created? Read up on that and you are on your way to speaking knowledgeably about South Africa.

There are slums IN Alexandra but Alexandra itself is not a slum. It is a township. In the same way that there are slums in Johannesburg, but Johannesburg is a city. I will not go into a story about what a township is because this is not the point I want to make.

The point I want to make is that you cannot expect hosts to embrace you. You need to embrace the hosts. That way, you will be one with them. Being ignorant about them will not help you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by DieVluit: 2:07pm On May 14, 2015
justwise:

So are you suggesting that those who got killed, injured or shops looted are engaged in illegal activities?

Not necessarily, but I will tell you this:

ALL of those attacked come from mismanaged African countries.
Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by DieVluit: 2:09pm On May 14, 2015
PAINGAIN:
that's bcus 90 percent of nigerians here are into selling of drugs,some out of frustration bcus of lack of job opportunities,no money, etc. I work for department of justice here in SA, 98 percent of court cases nigerians answer to are drug related and that is in almost every court house in SA everyday. So that's why naija people r termed drug lords. Its not an accusation, its reality.

Most Nigerians in South Africa are unskilled Igbos who have no choice but to engage in the drug trade. It's an undeniable fact.
Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by DieVluit: 2:11pm On May 14, 2015
MduZA:

we have been reading your negative comments about SA since day one....its pleasing to read positive comments from people with positive attitude on this thread...we know what your comments are before you type them...please leave those who are doing well in SA share their good experiences....

MduZA, this dude is a failed immigrant. Maybe he was deported along with the yellow fever crowd that was deported from South Africa some years ago. He is bitter.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by SisterCaro(m): 2:50pm On May 14, 2015
guttentag:

Sorry, what sort of complication and what is the cost for over stay
i have no idea but u can always go back to the embassy and ask smiley whats wrong with just renewing your visa instead of overstaying?
Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by LeSudAfricaine: 3:20pm On May 14, 2015
DieVluit:

I agree with you, LeSudAfricaine. Many foreigners stay in secluded social "enclaves" in South Africa and you find that they do not understand the country even after years of having been there. If you do not do your homework so that you can integrate yourself into the country, you will continue being seen as a foreigner. Part of the integration process is understanding the history and social fabric of the place. Anyone who denies that Hillbrow is a slum has not even begun to understand the country. The definition of a slum is as follows:

"A squalid and overcrowded urban street or district inhabited by very poor people." _ That is Hillbrow, no matter how you look at it.

And then saying that a township is another name for a slum is something that an uninformed foreigner would say. Where do townships come from, historically? Why were they created? Read up on that and you are on your way to speaking knowledgeably about South Africa.

There are slums IN Alexandra but Alexandra itself is not a slum. It is a township. In the same way that there are slums in Johannesburg, but Johannesburg is a city. I will not go into a story about what a township is because this is not the point I want to make.

The point I want to make is that you cannot expect hosts to embrace you. You need to embrace the hosts. That way, you will be one with them. Being ignorant about them will not help you.
Could"nt have said better myself!

1 Like

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by morpheus24: 3:24pm On May 14, 2015
justwise:
[/b]

My point exactly.
Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by morpheus24: 3:25pm On May 14, 2015
DieVluit:

Just a slight correction. Bedfordview is east of Johannesburg. It's on the East Rand. And Nigerians who want to have an easier time in South Africa would do well to actually study and understand the history and values of the country, because it is possible to stay in South Africa for years and to be a perpetual outsider. Lots of misinformed posts here, some from Nigerians in South Africa. If you do not do your homework and make sure you understand your hosts, you cannot expect them to embrace you.
On that topic, you could start by understanding what South Africans mean when they talk about "the Rand". The "East Rand". "The West Rand". "Witwaters-rand". "Rand Water". "Ten Rand". What does all that mean? Where does it come from? What makes South Africa tick? Etc. If you are only trying to learn about the country based on what you can suck out of it, for yourself, you will be rejected.

The regular BS.

You people just want people who come to your shores to lick your azzes that pretty much it.
Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by LeSudAfricaine: 3:27pm On May 14, 2015
DieVluit:

just to add on this, another thing I've realised is that many people tend to think, that white people are all rich and blacks are all poor, which is a very simplistic and narrow way of looking at things, or all black South Africans are lazy, babaric and uneduacted, and this most of the times comes form people who have never met or who have been to South Africa

5 Likes

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by morpheus24: 3:29pm On May 14, 2015
DieVluit:

Most Nigerians in South Africa are unskilled Igbos who have no choice but to engage in the drug trade. It's an undeniable fact.

What is undeniable is the miscontrued perception that 90% of Nigerians in South Africa are drug dealers.

Estimated Nigerian population in South Africa 400,000 to 500,000

90% drug dealers........360,000 to 450,000.

We don't make up 10% of the immigrant population in that country.

?

2 Likes

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by justwise(m): 3:43pm On May 14, 2015
DieVluit:

Not necessarily, but I will tell you this:

ALL of those attacked come from mismanaged African countries.

Still barbaric

1 Like

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by LeSudAfricaine: 3:44pm On May 14, 2015
morpheus24:

The regular BS.

You people just want people who come to your shores to lick your azzes that pretty much it.
It's seems you are always geared towards the negative in everything concerning SA, I have come to realise that you a typical bitter Nigerian, who just wants to see SA with a Negative light to feel good about himself, We respond with the regular BS because you and others here keeping harping the same BS all the time, even when your countrymen in SA say otherwise. Believe what you wanna dude

8 Likes

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by morpheus24: 3:45pm On May 14, 2015
DieVluit:

MduZA, this dude is a failed immigrant. Maybe he was deported along with the yellow fever crowd that was deported from South Africa some years ago. He is bitter.

TO the average South African every Nigerian is a failed immigrant. Its that audacity that permeates your psyche because you live in box.

If you want to know what erks me watch the below video

[flash=400, 300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HaSVZXjpUE[/flash]

1 Like

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by justwise(m): 3:46pm On May 14, 2015
morpheus24:

What is undeniable is the miscontrued perception that 90% of Nigerians in South Africa are drug dealers.

Estimated Nigerian population in South Africa 400,000 to 500,000

90% drug dealers........360,000 to 450,000.

We don't make up 10% of the immigrant population in that country.

?

Drug dealing is like prostitution, without customers they will not be in business. Junkies keep them in business and SA has a lot of them

3 Likes

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by MduZA: 3:52pm On May 14, 2015
DieVluit:

agree

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (31) (Reply)

Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries / Dubai: No Police, No Military, No Media Just An Order (Photos) / My Sweet "Ivory Coast" Memories

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.