Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,921 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:26 AM

Why Do Parents Spoil Their Children Under The Disguise That He/she Is A Child? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Parents Spoil Their Children Under The Disguise That He/she Is A Child? (1323 Views)

How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids / Why Do Parents Compare Their Children To Others? / 15 Lies All Nigerian Parents Tell Their Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Parents Spoil Their Children Under The Disguise That He/she Is A Child? by fxbot: 3:55pm On May 11, 2015
I have come to noticed that lots of parent make this comment when a child do wrong. I do visit my bro and when his child do wrong, I try to hit her for it, he would bounce on her defense and say "don't you know a child?"

The child in question is 6 years old going to 7. She now take pride in repeating same thing over and over again because she is aware that the father would defend her. The mother is much tougher in handling her misdemeanors and she dare not cross her boundaries when the father isn't around. She has developed the constant habit of crying over little things that shouldn't even make a normal child cry... she cries EVERY SINGLE DAY!

Few days before now, the eldest daughter had to leave the store to go and see a friend across the street and the little girl mounted on a chair and took snacks sold to customers, open one, threw away to the road. Took biscuit and gave to the last baby and then took another for herself. Not because she hasn't eaten, but because when she cries, they often yield in to her demands. While she was operating in this manner to take the snacks and biscuits, she was peeping to see if the elder sister was coming as well, you know how a thief behave so as not to get caught.( take note) Meaning she is aware she doing something wrong but went ahead anyway.

When I visit them, the said child would always want to touch things I keep somewhere just because she knows the father would defend her. I would talk and hit her. Just yesterday, my modem has been missing from where I kept it. I tried talking to the father that his kid has done away with my modem and his words where I am too careless. That when I know there are kids in the house, I should keep my things safe.

I kept quiet and this morning I left his house and bought another modem on my way home. Of course, I never told him I will be leaving and the wife never knew. I just got up and left. But for certainty, they will get the hint that it's cause of it.

I understand a child is child, but when you give the impression that they won't be penalised for their wrongs, then you are gradually breeding a stubborn kid into the family. In my book, a child should constantly not be given the impression they can always get away with anything they do, else they will keep repeating it over and over again. Maybe I am being hard but I am also aware of the dangers these traits can propagate and instil in child.

The father claims when I have my own kids, I will understand. Well, I grew up in a similar home where pampering a kids was the norm but I also know what it turned my sister into. It took her years after my the demise of my mum to realise that life does not give everything you ask for.
Re: Why Do Parents Spoil Their Children Under The Disguise That He/she Is A Child? by Eneze1(f): 4:40pm On May 11, 2015
A lot of families are raising brats this days all in the name of "they are children". When as a parent you didn't nudge a child in the right way he or she should go they tend to have sense of entitlement to everything as they grow older. My neighbour daugher always urinate on her body anytime her mum beats her and her mum will always tell me "she's just a small girl" the day she tried that in my house and I gave her two slaps on her buttocks that was the last day she tried that rubbish. Parents please when children are small that is their formative years try as much as possible to correct a lot of behaviours which if not corrected tends to affect them in the future.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Spoil Their Children Under The Disguise That He/she Is A Child? by fxbot: 4:55pm On May 11, 2015
Eneze1:
A lot of families are raising brats this days all in the name of "they are children". When as a parent you didn't nudge a child in the right way he or she should go they tend to have sense of entitlement to everything as they grow older. My neighbour daugher always urinate on her body anytime her mum beats her and her mum will always tell me "she's just a small girl" the day she tried that in my house and I gave her two slaps on her buttocks that was the last day she tried that rubbish. Parents please when children are small that is their formative years try as much as possible to correct a lot of behaviours which if not corrected tends to affect them in the future.
God bless you. The father of the said girl was beginning to make me feel like something is wrong with me.

What I am trying to tell the father, to which he has turned blind eye to, is that he is gradually raising a kid that would turn out bad.
Re: Why Do Parents Spoil Their Children Under The Disguise That He/she Is A Child? by SAMBARRY: 5:22pm On May 11, 2015
Are you surprised we have a lot of wild untamed beasts every where. Na over indulgence dey cause am. Eg emafowokan omo mi o.emalu etc
Re: Why Do Parents Spoil Their Children Under The Disguise That He/she Is A Child? by lilmax(m): 5:47pm On May 11, 2015
The mother always use that line
Re: Why Do Parents Spoil Their Children Under The Disguise That He/she Is A Child? by fxbot: 6:14pm On May 11, 2015
lilmax:
The mother always use that line
this one is often by the father o.

(1) (Reply)

Family Finance: Can You Attempt This 'retirement' Math?' / How Do You Handle Your Deceased Friends On Facebook? / Two Kids Die In Inferno After Mom Locked Them In, Went Out With Boyfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.