Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,356 members, 7,800,710 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:09 AM

Did Adam And Eve Exist? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Adam And Eve Exist? (4979 Views)

Did Adam And Eve Have Bellybuttons? / Christians:What Fruit Did Adam And Eve Eat Inside The Garden Of Eden? / Before The Advent Of Sin, Did Adam And Eve Know How To Procreate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Adam And Eve Exist? by saraj(f): 6:28am On Feb 08, 2009
I remember in Secondary School I had a nun teaching me Religion. She asked the class 'Do you think Adam and Eve are real or just a story'? She said it was just a story. What do you all think? This came from a convent sister who literally dedicates her life to Christ.  I am Catholic by the way.I am confused. I hear  pastors' from other churches say its a true story yet the nun said it was one of many stories that are in the bible!
Re: Did Adam And Eve Exist? by princekevo(m): 6:38am On Feb 08, 2009
If a catholic Nun told u that the existence of Adam and Eve is jst a story then i think she is not more than an Atheist,
If she can believes that is jst a story, then the biblical perception on the existence of God is also jst a story, In that case u should have told her to drop her bible and her holiness to go marry instead of wasting her years pretending to serve the same God she thinks that dosn't exist,
Re: Did Adam And Eve Exist? by saraj(f): 6:47am On Feb 08, 2009
She did not say the bible was all fiction. She said there were moral stories in the bible as well as real scriptures and prophecies. Anyway I wouldn't dare say that to a nun or anyone for that matter. Thats a bit rude!
Re: Did Adam And Eve Exist? by tundewoods(m): 7:45am On Feb 08, 2009
Believe what you want to believe Girl, but remember that your faith shall set you free !
My advice to you is to never give room for doubt .
Re: Did Adam And Eve Exist? by princekevo(m): 7:56am On Feb 08, 2009
Well i dont blame u for that coz all knows at that age we had a lot of truth and lies being told by our teachers which we lacked the confidence to ask questions, I believe as a catholic Nun the other word we have for Bible is "the word of God" so i dont know how his word can be made up of truth and fictions, If that should be the case we then ask her how we can differentiate between the real stories and fictions in the bible, Or maybe she she gave u guyz her cretarial that made her believe  the story of Adam and Eve was a fiction and not a true story,
Re: Did Adam And Eve Exist? by Raymond88(m): 7:59am On Feb 08, 2009
This whole argument is based on what a nun said? i was expecting something better. undecided
Re: Did Adam And Eve Exist? by spikedcylinder: 9:02am On Feb 08, 2009
@ OP

Have you ever heard of fables, allegories. . . etc?
If you have, there's your answer. If you haven't, I'd help with an explanation, after all, I am a nice little lady. smiley
Re: Did Adam And Eve Exist? by Image123(m): 3:14pm On Feb 08, 2009
I'll vote for Jesus against a nun and a billion atheists.Jesus spoke like adam and eve existed.The apostles also spoke the same way
Re: Did Adam And Eve Exist? by austine7(m): 3:15pm On Feb 08, 2009
These lists are meant to identify possible problems in the Bible, especially problems
which are inherent in a literalist or fundamentalist interpretation.
You will agree that there are too many parts in the Bible which are unspiritual in the
extreme. God is made out to be a cursing God of vengeance, of hatred, of war.
For example,
GE 1:3-5 On the first day, God created light, then separated light and darkness.
GE 1:14-19 The sun (which separates night and day) wasn't created until the fourth day.
GE 1:11-12, 26-27 Trees were created before man was created.
GE 2:4-9 Man was created before trees were created.
GE 1:20-21, 26-27 Birds were created before man was created.
GE 2:7, 19 Man was created before birds were created.
GE 1:24-27 Animals were created before man was created.
GE 2:7, 19 Man was created before animals were created.
GE 1:26-27 Man and woman were created at the same time.
GE 2:7, 21-22 Man was created first, woman sometime later.
GE 1:28 God encourages reproduction.
LE 12:1-8 God requires purification rites following childbirth which, in effect, makes childbirth
a sin. (Note: The period for purification following the birth of a daughter is twice that for a son.)
GE 1:31 God was pleased with his creation.
GE 6:5-6 God was not pleased with his creation.
(Note: That God should be displeased is inconsistent with the concept of omniscience.)
GE 2:4, 4:26, 12:8, 22:14-16, 26:25 God was already known as "the Lord" (Jahveh or Jehovah)
much earlier than the time of Moses.
EX 6:2-3 God was first known as "the Lord" (Jahveh or Jehovah) at the time of the Egyptian
Bondage, during the life of Moses.
GE 2:17 Adam was to die the very day that he ate the forbidden fruit.
GE 5:5 Adam lived 930 years.
GE 2:15-17, 3:4-6 It is wrong to want to be able to tell good from evil.
HE 5:13-14 It is immature to be unable to tell good from evil.
GE 4:4-5 God prefers Abel's offering and has no regard for Cain's.
2CH 19:7, AC 10:34, RO 2:11 God shows no partiality. He treats all alike.
GE 4:9 God asks Cain where his brother Able is.
PR 15:3, JE 16:17, 23:24-25, HE 4:13 God is everywhere. He sees everything. Nothing is hidden
from his view.
GE 4:15, DT 32:19-27, IS 34:8 God is a vengeful god.
EX 15:3, IS 42:13, HE 12:29 God is a warrior. God is a consuming fire.
EX 20:5, 34:14, DT 4:24, 5:9, 6:15, 29:20, 32:21 God is a jealous god.
LE 26:7-8, NU 31:17-18, DT 20:16-17, JS 10:40, JG 14:19, EZ 9:5-7 The Spirit of God is
(sometimes) murder and killing.
NU 25:3-4, DT 6:15, 9:7-8, 29:20, 32:21, PS 7:11, 78:49, JE 4:8, 17:4, 32:30-31, ZP 2:2 God is
angry. His anger is sometimes fierce.
2SA 22:7-8 (KJV) "I called to the Lord; , he heard my voice; , The earth trembled and quaked,
, because he was angry. Smoke came from his nostrils. Consuming fire came from his mouth,
burning coals blazed out of it."
EZ 6:12, NA 1:2, 6 God is jealous and furious. He reserves wrath for, and takes revenge on, his
enemies. ", who can abide in the fierceness of his anger? His fury is poured out like fire, and
rocks are thrown down by him."
When God is angry 'smoke and fire' comes out of his body. Ps 18:7-8

These are just but a fraction of the absurdities and primitive, bizarre directions and
reflections to be found in the Bible which evangelists claim is 'the word of God!'

I state that the Bible may be highly religious but not spiritual
Re: Did Adam And Eve Exist? by kolaoloye(m): 3:22pm On Feb 08, 2009
sara j:

I remember in Secondary School I had a nun teaching me Religion. She asked the class 'Do you think Adam and Eve are real or just a story'? She said it was just a story. What do you all think? This came from a convent sister who literally dedicates her life to Christ. I am Catholic by the way.I am confused. I hear pastors' from other churches say its a true story yet the nun said it was one of many stories that are in the bible!
They were the fisrt couple on Earth and that is why we are here today.
Jesus said it all :"Through one man - sin came". The man there was Adam.
Re: Did Adam And Eve Exist? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:03pm On Feb 08, 2009
sara j:

I remember in Secondary School I had a nun teaching me Religion. She asked the class 'Do you think Adam and Eve are real or just a story'? She said it was just a story. What do you all think? This came from a convent sister who literally dedicates her life to Christ.  I am Catholic by the way.I am confused. I hear  pastors' from other churches say its a true story yet the nun said it was one of many stories that are in the bible!

This is the reason why I think the RCC got almost all their doctrines wrong because if you get the beginning wrong you will get the rest of what you believe wrong.

This is what Jesus Christ said:

"But from the beginning of creation, God made them male and female." - Mark 10:6. 

From this passage, we see that Jesus clearly taught about the existence of Adam and Eve from the beginning and not billions of years after the earth and universe came into existence as the RCC believes.  See the website below for more details.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/nab/did-jesus-say-he-created-in-six-days
Re: Did Adam And Eve Exist? by redsun(m): 4:43pm On Feb 08, 2009
The bible is just a great book,art,poetry,literature,psychology,name it,written in the ignorance of its time but still reflect the day to day life of the present man,life of uncertainty,fear,hopelessness,quest,oppression,greed,ignorance and vanity.

We can never crack the secret of life,if we do,life will cease to exist.
Re: Did Adam And Eve Exist? by champredd(m): 5:08pm On Feb 08, 2009
The existence of Adam and Eve is based on a book written by another human "Moses", therefore people who are academically inclined will tend to raise questions once in a while. But as a christian, what I do understand is that all scriptures are inspired by God.
Re: Did Adam And Eve Exist? by Bell32(m): 5:23pm On Feb 08, 2009
Remember what the bible says in the book of Revelation 22 vs 19

"and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book".

Re: Did Adam And Eve Exist? by Bobbyaf(m): 5:56pm On Feb 08, 2009
Bell32 you have hit the nail right on its head. Not every organization that claims to uphold biblical teachings actually fulfill such claims, and the sad thing is that there are millions of professed Christians who are kept in darkness and are not even aware of it.
Re: Did Adam And Eve Exist? by austine7(m): 6:23pm On Feb 08, 2009
The Christian mythologists, after having confined Satan in a pit, were obliged to let him out again to
bring on the sequel of the fable. He is then introduced into the garden of Eden in the shape of a
snake, or a serpent, and in that shape he enters into familiar conversation with Eve, who is no ways
surprised to hear a snake talk; and the issue of this tete-a-tate is, that he persuades her to eat an apple,
and the eating of that apple damns all mankind.

we are told, the bible is the word of God. It is, therefore, proper for us to know who told us so, so that we may know what credit to give to the report. The answer to this question is, that nobody can tell, except that we tell one another so.
Re: Did Adam And Eve Exist? by Bobbyaf(m): 7:19pm On Feb 08, 2009
@ austin

The Christian mythologists, after having confined Satan in a pit, were obliged to let him out again to
bring on the sequel of the fable. He is then introduced into the garden of Eden in the shape of a
snake, or a serpent, and in that shape he enters into familiar conversation with Eve, who is no ways
surprised to hear a snake talk; and the issue of this tete-a-tate is, that he persuades her to eat an apple,
and the eating of that apple damns all mankind.

we are told, the bible is the word of God. It is, therefore, proper for us to know who told us so, so that we may know what credit to give to the report. The answer to this question is, that nobody can tell, except that we tell one

Based on your response am I fair in concluding that you do not believe the biblical account of Adam and Eve? It seems you have a lot of questions that need clarification, correct?

Well, let us talk. I don't have all the answers but I am willing to reason with you if you don't mind.
Re: Did Adam And Eve Exist? by Tumm(m): 9:38pm On Feb 08, 2009
If we exist, den adam n eve did
Re: Did Adam And Eve Exist? by bawomolo(m): 11:33pm On Feb 08, 2009
Tumm:

If we exist, den adam n eve did

Genius
Re: Did Adam And Eve Exist? by saraj(f): 12:28am On Feb 09, 2009
Come to think of it actually, the Sister also taught Biology at school, not me though. I had a different Biology teacher. Thats the thing about the RC clergy, they have an open mind. They believe in God but they also believe in Science and evolution. Afterall is there not proof that we all originated from apes and are what we are today because of evolution and we are still advancing. I think that stories like Adam and Eve are not meant to be taking literally, technically. I believe it is actually a metaphor for how the Earth, Man and Woman formed and how man became sinful by being tempted by the devil. Don't get me wrong I really believe God created Earth and all it's creatures' but he did not create it in 7 Days literally and there is plenty of evidence there to back that point up. By the way there is no mention of dinosaurs in the bible. Did they not exist billions of years before us on the same planet we live on right now? And birds were actually around with the dinosaurs so they were definently there before us.
Re: Did Adam And Eve Exist? by Akolawole(m): 3:32am On Feb 09, 2009
@Poster

Adam and Eve are real.
Re: Did Adam And Eve Exist? by faxtimer: 3:41am On Feb 09, 2009
This is not much and a long talk, As for this words you all are talking about; i have a question.
Have you ever in your life SEEN GOD?
Do you ever know if really GOD was GOD either if all the things in the Bible were real.

As for me i can tell you that take your time and as him to show him self to you but if he doesn't then For get it , Its all friction , or movie"smile".

Before i go can you people or have you been to this Church? Later day of Jesus Christ church
If you have not take your time again and you will see why you show as your self and as him to come out and show out him self to you. as for me i has been what i have been told since i was a KID and now am a man what will i do?? :-w hope and hoping i have a answer from him, not any of you can give me the Answer!
Re: Did Adam And Eve Exist? by Bojiboji: 5:27am On Feb 09, 2009
Quote from: sara j on Yesterday at 06:28:24 AM
I remember in Secondary School I had a nun teaching me Religion. She asked the class 'Do you think Adam and Eve are real or just a story'? She said it was just a story. What do you all think? This came from a convent sister who literally dedicates her life to Christ. I am Catholic by the way.I am confused. I hear pastors' from other churches say its a true story yet the nun said it was one of many stories that are in the bible!

Come to think of it actually, the Sister also taught Biology at school, not me though. I had a different Biology teacher. Thats the thing about the RC clergy, they have an open mind. They believe in God but they also believe in Science and evolution. Afterall is there not proof that we all originated from apes and are what we are today because of evolution and we are still advancing. I think that stories like Adam and Eve are not meant to be taking literally, technically. I believe it is actually a metaphor for how the Earth, Man and Woman formed and how man became sinful by being tempted by the devil. Don't get me wrong I really believe God created Earth and all it's creatures' but he did not create it in 7 Days literally and there is plenty of evidence there to back that point up. By the way there is no mention of dinosaurs in the bible. Did they not exist billions of years before us on the same planet we live on right now? And birds were actually around with the dinosaurs so they were definently there before us.
[left][/left]
Sara j, why are you confused if you know about the church position on evolution? This is how some catholics ridicule the church when they should seek answers to questions about their faith from the right sources.  Are you sure you understood what the Sister said then the way you understand it now? Can you gauge if you understand english the way you do now as then?  Remember, the book of Genesis or part of it was written in the form of a myth. Myth does not necessarily mean that what it was used to describe is false but to narrate an event which occured not exactly the way it did in a simple form.  Let us concentrate in carrying out the commandment of Jesus Christ our saviour - Love of God and our neighbour.  This will benefit us more rather than breaking our heads over the existence of Adam and Eve.
Re: Did Adam And Eve Exist? by Chidoski(m): 8:03am On Feb 09, 2009
The story of Adam and Eve in the catholic doctrine is a dogma.Dogma are facts promulgated by the church that shouldn't be argued.FACT.So the Nuns opinion is a private one.However that story is a folklore to really show the advent of man into this world.The fact is that God created our first parents,whatever he called them.but the story was to really give us a picture of what actually happened not a direct report of their activities after all nobody was there when God was dealing with this people.This is independent also.
Re: Did Adam And Eve Exist? by farotika(m): 8:21am On Feb 09, 2009
@ poster,

I will advise you to go back to history of RCC and u'll realize they are not Christians (Act 11:26; X-tians are those u believe what Christ believe and leave like him).

This so-called church has killed many x-tians and even burn many alive just because they preached Christ. The RCC of old made it a sin punishable by death if anybody was caught reading the Bible. Should they be the one to teach us about the sword of the spirit?
Re: Did Adam And Eve Exist? by spikedcylinder: 8:47am On Feb 09, 2009
In that picture, the man holding the scroll, is that the Christian God? He has nice cheek bones.
Re: Did Adam And Eve Exist? by BloodShed1: 9:44am On Feb 09, 2009
The Bible is just a great story
Re: Did Adam And Eve Exist? by denony(m): 11:46am On Feb 09, 2009
Adam and Eve ?
I heard they ate the furbiden fruit, it that true?
Re: Did Adam And Eve Exist? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:47pm On Feb 09, 2009
sara j:

Come to think of it actually, the Sister also taught Biology at school, not me though. I had a different Biology teacher. Thats the thing about the RC clergy, they have an open mind. They believe in God but they also believe in Science and evolution.

It is one thing to believe in God and another to believe in Evolution.  Evolution is not science it is a belief system as it has to be received by faith, in fact blind faith.  You need more faith to believe in Evolution, which is a materialistic ideology that does not believe in the existence of God but that everything is as a result of nature and chance or random.  To believe in God you will have to believe in God's account of creation as recorded in the book of Genesis, there are no two ways about it.

sara j:

Afterall is there not proof that we all originated from apes and are what we are today because of evolution and we are still advancing.

Can you show me one proof of an ape evolving into an human being?  That is, an ape-like creature in the process of evolving into a human being?  Where are the supposed millions of evidences of transitional fossils?  Have you personally seen this transition taking place?  If not, why has it stopped? Have they stopped evolving? And if they are not, what are they evolving into, UFOs?

sara j link=topic=230834.msg3444179#msg3444179 date=123413572).8]
I think that stories like Adam and Eve are not meant to be taking literally, technically. I believe it is actually a metaphor for how the Earth, Man and Woman formed and how man became sinful by being tempted by the devil.
[/quote]

Jesus took it literally, unless you have been taught that Jesus was a myth.  Jesus  consistently treated the miracle accounts of the Old Testament as straightforward, truthful, historical accounts such as in the creation of Adam, Noah and the Flood, Lot and his wife in Sodom, Moses and the manna and Jonah in the fish.  He continually affirmed the authority of Scripture over men's ideas and traditions (Matt.15:1-9).  As I said earlier, in Mark 10:6 Jesus declared emphatically that He was a young earth creationist by teaching that Adam and Eve were made at the "beginning of creation," and not billion of years after the beginning, as would be the case if the universe were really billions of years old.  So, if Jesus was a young earth creationist, then how can His faithful followers have any other view?

[quote author=sara j:

Don't get me wrong I really believe God created Earth and all it's creatures' but he did not create it in 7 Days literally and there is plenty of evidence there to back that point up.

Nobody is saying that God created the universe and earth and all it's creatures in 7 days.  What the Bible says is that He created all things within just 6 (24 hour) days!  I don't know where you got your 7 days from.  And sincerely, I don't know why it took the Almighty God that long anyway, if He wanted He could have done it within 6 seconds!!

sara j:

By the way there is no mention of dinosaurs in the bible. Did they not exist billions of years before us on the same planet we live on right now? And birds were actually around with the dinosaurs so they were definently there before us.

I will give you this assignment, go and read Genesis 1:24-25 and Job 40:15-24 and give us your feedback as to when they were created and whether they were observed by men as recorded in the Bible.

And for all who are sincerely interested in finding out the truth about dinosaurs in the Bible, check the link below to learn more about it.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/nab/what-happened-to-the-dinosaurs
Re: Did Adam And Eve Exist? by Easypizzy(f): 1:46pm On Feb 09, 2009
A very interesting thread indeed.
sara j:

You seemed to be really confused my sis. Do you believe that dinosaurs really exists in those years? Is it not some scientists who found some bones and remains of some whatever creature and did some calculations based on the dating theories and half life formulas to estimate years?
If you believe in some things done by using formulas and scientific models, why can't you believe in sciptures?
Don't you know that scriptures are written by people inspired by God?
Adam and Eve 's existance is real and not a metaphor.
Re: Did Adam And Eve Exist? by Easypizzy(f): 1:52pm On Feb 09, 2009
Adam and Eve existed and not some metaphor or some unrealistic stories. Don't be confused!
Shine your eyes yo,
Re: Did Adam And Eve Exist? by Ovamboland(m): 2:19pm On Feb 09, 2009
I have yet to see anyone disprove the dating method used by scientists to date fossils.

Or else we have many things to disprove, like the origin of televison, atomic power (maybe it also allegory grin), Laser systems amd microwave ( can you really prove these exists grin)?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Catholic Church And August Meeting. / 2024 Theme (year Of) For All Churches In Nigeria And The Rest Of The World / Nudity In The House Of God, I Can’t Believe This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.