Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,647 members, 7,801,885 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:48 AM

The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! (58786 Views)

Hilarious Photo All The Way From The City Of Warri / The Night View Of City Of Bauchi (Wambai Gate) / The New Four Point Hotel In Ikot Ekpene, Akwa Ibom State (see Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by attoskoly: 7:14am On May 13, 2015
elbinmanny:
Sights of Ikot-Ekpene

beautiful but op are you sure most of these sights are not uyo cos if am not mistaken, i know them and have visited them a couple of times?
Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by debbie(f): 7:17am On May 13, 2015
this is very true.....wel till we decentralize the countries economy.But seriously speaking there is more peace and calm in the SS.
Dragonking:

The south south is the best place to stay in Nigeria..the environment is conducive, the air is fresh, the people are hospitable(not tribalistic and not religious fanatics)..Everything is just great..if all SS governors can work hard and develop their states, there is no need hustling in Lagos or abuja.

1 Like

Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by debbie(f): 7:22am On May 13, 2015
This is also shown in their mode of dressing,they still bear some ibibio names and share a common boundary with a local community in Akwa Ibom,cultural displays is almost the same too-j8..especially during major festivals.One thing i like about this ibibio thing is the rich culture.Love my people
mmsen:

'Arochuku' was an Ibibio settlement initially.

They retained the customs even after the influx of Igbo speaking peoples.
Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by Nobody: 7:42am On May 13, 2015
I dream of a Nigeria where there will be no earth roads. You can travel through the lenght of Lagos to Maiduguri and not come across an earth road or dust surrounding in reckoned cities and villages.
Every where is either tarred, or gravelled, or marbled or green with carpet grass.
It will be mandatory for all citizens to get rid of the earth spaces in their surroundings or in front/around their houses by tarring, gravelling, laying marbles, solid concreting or grass carpeting, depending each on their capabilities.

And Nigeria shall be called a Garden State of beauty.

Headlamp1
Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by cricifixo: 8:01am On May 13, 2015
in abia we also call masqurades "ekpo"
elbinmanny:
its possible cos ikot ekpene is the borther town to Abia state cool
Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by 2goodbobo(m): 8:02am On May 13, 2015
All i can say is bravo to the Governor. #AkwaibomAyaya grin
Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by daveP(m): 8:08am On May 13, 2015
How Ikot- Ekpene became known to my generation can be attributed to Taiwo and O Longe's effort to make it popular through the macmillian books we read in primary school.

Edet, Obi and Nneka, Omo and Mr Bassey.

I need a pix of that man. Still will visit this city one day!
Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by younghartz(m): 8:15am On May 13, 2015
lazsnaira:

Are you from umuahia?

Nope! I school there
Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by Mbediogu(m): 8:24am On May 13, 2015
elbinmanny:
Sights of Ikot-Ekpene

The entire Akwa Ibom people are noted for their simplicity, friendship and cuisine. A good number of them work for me and am still recruiting...
Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by bibina: 8:43am On May 13, 2015
You however forgot to mention that IKOT EKPENE is the first local government is Africa, it was a model LGA created in 1947 to see how the LGA system would work, and again the Aba women riot started in IK. that is my hood.....proudly an IK boy!

elbinmanny:
Ikot Ekpene, known throughout Nigeria as " The Raffia City", or locally simply as "IK," is a historic town in the southernNigeria,in Akwa Ibom state. It is the political and cultural capital of theAnnang ethnic group in Nigeria (Nair, 1972). The town is located on the A342 highway that parallels the coast, between Calabar to the south east andAba to the west, with the state capital,Uyo, on this road just to the east.Umuahia is the next major town to the north.Ikot Ekpene is known as a regional centre of commerce, with notable exports of palm products, especiallypalm oil, kernels, raffia products including raffia fibers and its sweet wine, as well as ground crops of yams,cassava, taro, and corn. The population is made up primarily of the Annangpeople with a small number of Igbo Traders and Hausa Suya Vendors. Significant exports also include basket weaving, sculpture, and, most notably,raffia cane furniture (hence the colloquial name of the town).Though most inhabitants of the area did not have direct contact with European traders who they called Mbakara until early in the twentieth century, it is believed that European articles of trade reached the people since the 17th century. Sustained contact with the Europeans began during the Aro expedition when Ukpong Inokon, an Aro Blood Brotherhood leader escaped to Ifuho. (Ette, in press) In November 1903, British troops arrived in the area from Calabar and the following year established a garrison there in January 1904. From Ikot Ekpene the troops marched to Uyo and from there to Abak and Opobo (now Ikot Abasi). Between 1904 and 1910, Ikot Ekpene became part of the Eyong District. In 1914 Enyong District was broken up into two: Enyong and Ikot Ekpene Districts. The new Ikot Ekpene District included Uyo and Abak with the headquarters in Ikot Ekpene town (Akpan, 1967).By 1919 trade with Europeans opened up as the town became an administrative center. The following companies had post and stores in the town: John Holt Cooperative Wholesale Society Paterson Zochonos (PZ), G. B. Olivant and the Compagnie Francaise de L'Afrique Occidentals. The establishment of these companies resulted in exodus from the surrounding areas and made Ikot Ekpene a vibrant metropolis. In 1937, the colonial administration built the main market and separated those who sold imported European goods from indigenous articles. A slaughter house was added to allow for the inspection of meat.Under the British the town became the seat of both the (Annang), Division and (Ikot Ekpene) County Council. Today it is a municipal center in the state of Akwa Ibom.Kannan Nair, the noted historian described the town as a cultural and political capital of the Annangs and the Ibibios. The Ibibios live to the East and most of the Annangs live to the South of the town. In 1903, the British sent in troops and a garrison was stationed there at the main entrance to the town known as Control Post. The town was so important to the British that when a proposed road linking Owerri and Calabar in the late 1920s was to bypass the town, the British administrators abandoned the idea in favor of one linking Eket and Owerri in order to bring the town into the loop (Nair, 1972). It became the site of the experiment in local self governance by the British in 1951. It was also the birthplace of the famous Ibibio Welfare Union when James Udo Eka teamed up with Udosen Obot at Methodist school in Ikot Obong Edong ( Noah, 1988).Ikot Ekpene, probably more than any other town, was seriously impacted in the Biafrian civil war. It had strategic military and political importance to both the Biafrians and Nigerians. The town and the area changed hands at least 3 times in this bitter conflict. Following the war, the new reorganization and state structure led to policies that did not recognize the historic importance of the town as most of the Annang leaders were massacred during the war.Like most Annang communities, Ikot Ekpene has a tradition of self-improvement from its sons and daughters, both near and far. Several groups are working together to recapture and rebuild what they fondly call "The Raffia City". Ikot Ekpene has a long history of transforming the raffia fibre into cloth used in shoes, hats, handbags, mats and with distinctive cultural carvings made out of wood. These unique arts and crafts trades have continued alongside traditional agriculture.Many foreign organizations and churches are present in the area. Four institutions of higher learning have added a richness to the town: The Akwa-Ibom state polythecnic Ikot Osurua, Ritman university, the School of Nursing and the St Joseph Major Theological Seminary.
Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by Dooyboy(m): 8:43am On May 13, 2015
Good Job, ride on Mr Governor
Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by tafiya: 9:05am On May 13, 2015
Wao!i feel quite nostalgic now because i did my 5years secondary education in FGC IK...
Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by philips70(m): 9:16am On May 13, 2015
ethicalUser:
Sheraton under construction in the heart of IK

Nice job. But Sheraton in Ikot Ekpene? What's the attraction, business environment or tourism? Hope it's not going to be one abandoned ill patronized Sheraton though.
Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by enambobo(m): 9:21am On May 13, 2015
Eberex:
I spent a year in IK between 2013-2014. I worked as facility engineer at gov akpabio's place at Ukana.
They have good weather, good roads but most of the indigenes are not hospitable. In as much as you find good structures in this part of akwa ibom, I must say these people think too local.
When it comes to sunday worship, they are number one, yet they believe more on fetish things.
One of the difficult things I went through was the language. Kai ! Whenever you mEet someone, they would automatically think u are one of them. Very rare to see them speak good english. But what I did enjoy was their soup. White soup, afang, atanma etc. No tomato sauce for here o! What they use as stew is pepper soup with white rice. I never tried it. I will contiunue with my article later abeg

from the nature of your job, i can tell that you must have lived in the very remote area of Ikot Ekpene where developement is on progress and where our mamas and papas are still trying to adapt to the white man's way of speaking. They may not be good speakers but i can tell you that they are best writers. Technically they are very sound and history can attest to that.

I think your comment on hospitality is a bit adsured. Your choice of the adjective 'many' does not in any way qualify 'The city'. How can a city that has been a host to so many foreigners have 'many' unhosbitable people. Haba, it's not fair bro. You must have met a few fuzzy persons because i beleive 'in every twelve, there is always a Judas' but that should'nt be generalised. Next time, use words like 'some' or better still 'few'. THANKS...
Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by ocelot2006(m): 9:21am On May 13, 2015
philips70:

Nice job. But Sheraton in Ikot Ekpene? What's the attraction, business environment or tourism? Hope it's not going to be one abandoned ill patronized Sheraton though.

The Le Meriden is at quiet Uduak, yet it is a hot spot for tourists and golfers. This Sheraton is in the heart of one of Akwa Ibom ' s bustling cities and commercial hub, AND a short ride from Uyo. Trust me, it will thrive VERY WELL.
Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by philips70(m): 9:24am On May 13, 2015
ocelot2006:

The Le Meriden is at quiet Uduak, yet it is a hot spot for tourists and golfers. This Sheraton is in the heart of one of Akwa Ibom ' s bustling cities and commercial hub, AND a short ride from Uyo. Trust me, it will thrive VERY WELL.

It's a welcome development. Underminding his shortcomings Akpabio has set a very high standard for upcoming governors in the state and the Niger Delta in general. My state governor, Uduaghan was only after people's wives.
Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by Spaxon(f): 9:26am On May 13, 2015
Flyingngel:

Atan akpan iko. Mkpo abadie?
idioko oooo
idem mmfoo?
Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by Spaxon(f): 9:26am On May 13, 2015
john4aguero:

So you from Akwa Ibom? Iyammi shocked shocked
cheesy
Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by Spaxon(f): 9:27am On May 13, 2015
Raxxye:
Ade eyen Annang?
ataa eyen ikpaisong. annang cheesy
Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by Koolking(m): 9:32am On May 13, 2015
Quite a town to reckon with. Op, thanks for the info
Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by einsteino(m): 9:52am On May 13, 2015
intergral:
I also stay in warri delta state... Mehn that you Governor F*cked up.... Imagine local governments like Udu that is an oil producing place looks as if they are from one of the poorest states in Nigeria...

Uduaghan is a dissapointment what annoys me the most is he keeps bagging awards for the best governor. Please on what basis do they even give him this award, cos atimes i wonder if there is another Uduaghan who governs a delta that is different from the one i know of.
Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by macjireh: 9:59am On May 13, 2015
elbinmanny:
you are very much welcome dear. The masqurade is the popular "ekpo masqurade" grin
Please watz Ekpo, cuz my Akwa ibom girlfriend's surname is Ekpo
Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by john4aguero: 11:55am On May 13, 2015
Spaxon:

cheesy

Chai!!! I sabi say Akwa Ibom no de everly carry last. Ameyaya idogho etuk. kiss kiss
Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by Spaxon(f): 12:18pm On May 13, 2015
john4aguero:

Chai!!! I sabi say Akwa Ibom no de everly carry last. Ameyaya idogho etuk. kiss kiss

we node carry last ooooo
thank u

1 Like

Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by Bobority: 1:41pm On May 13, 2015
Akwa Ibom Ayaya! Mehn i looovvveeee AKS die! really enjoyed my stay grin wink
Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by patrick89(m): 2:11pm On May 13, 2015
fellory:

comments from handles such as this belongs to a non yoruba.The intention Is to create angst among the yoruba and other tribes.You must however be discerning enough to recognise this.
which tribe does it then belong to? Tribalist! You guys always shout up and down when someone beats you in your own game!
Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by Fellonigerians: 3:14pm On May 13, 2015
elbinmanny:
Craft and culture

That motorcycle is too beautiful... I need that in my living room...
Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by Flyingngel(m): 4:40pm On May 13, 2015
Spaxon:

idioko oooo

idem mmfoo?

Afon
Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by intergral(m): 5:09pm On May 13, 2015
einsteino:

Uduaghan is a dissapointment what annoys me the most is he keeps bagging awards for the best governor. Please on what basis do they even give him this award, cos atimes i wonder if there is another Uduaghan who governs a delta that is different from the one i know of.
let this past election be a lesson for Governors who wants to stay without working hard... Anybody F*ck up we choose another!
Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by icankel: 6:38pm On May 13, 2015
That's were I did my NYSC, really enjoyed d city...Abadie!!
Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by Raxxye(m): 7:23pm On May 13, 2015
Spaxon:

ataa eyen ikpaisong. annang cheesy
Lol.
Just sent you a PM. You cool?
Re: The Hidden City Of Nigeria (ikot-ekepne). Another Akpabio Magic ! by Spaxon(f): 9:03pm On May 13, 2015
Raxxye:
Lol. Just sent you a PM. You cool?
aidde

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

A Trailer Hijacked A Police Officer And Refused To Let Go (Photos) / Widow, Son Cry, Beg As They Win Bid To Buy Back Their Car For 450,000 / Guys Can You Do This To Be In The White Mans Land?? Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.