Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,328 members, 7,808,103 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:17 AM

To The Non-Wazobians... - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / To The Non-Wazobians... (530 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

To The Non-Wazobians... by CluelessGuy: 4:53am On May 12, 2015
Does it ever annoy you when people assume that since you are Nigerian, you are from one of the three predominantly known ethnic groups? This may be a dumb question, but I am curious.
Re: To The Non-Wazobians... by bigfrancis21: 5:11pm On May 12, 2015
CluelessGuy:
Does it ever annoy you when people assume that since you are Nigerian, you are from one of the three predominantly known ethnic groups? This may be a dumb question, but I am curious.

Most Nigerians outsiders meet abroad are either Igbo or Yoruba. These are the two tribes they come in contact with constantly. Southern Nigeria represents the face of Nigeria abroad. Some people, on knowing i'm Nigerian, have asked me point blank; 'are you Igbo or Yoruba?' JJust 2 options only. Even white americans too know that there are tribal differences among Nigerians. One time, one white male american, on learning I am Nigerian, asked me which of Ibo or Yoruba I am, I responded, then he began to tell me about the civil war!

It is only normal if they assume you are either of them until you prove otherwise. We don't usually see Nigerians from minority tribes that often in the US, UK, Canada etc.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Higuain's Ball Just Landed. / The Relevance Of Understanding Your Culture / Sincerely Speaking, Nigeria Has The Highest Rate Of........

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.