Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,398 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:28 AM

A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends (4363 Views)

My Yoruba Brothers Give your Reason why we don't get along with the Igbos / To My Yoruba Nairalanders / Special For My Yoruba Friends. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by osisi2(f): 10:00pm On Feb 08, 2009
I find it very rude when carrying on a conversation in English with a Yoruba friend and right in the middle of the conversation , a Yoruba person comes along, they immediately break out loudly in Yoruba sometimes for long periods with no consideration whatsoever to the non Yoruba speakers in the group.
I've had this experience several times and I'm not alone.
Perhaps you folks don't know it comes across as very rude and inconsiderate.
If the individual speaks English, there's no reason why you couldn't speak English to him/her at that particular time.
If you have secrets to share that you don't want other folks to hear,why not wait till your fellow discussants are gone?
Please I'm not bashing Yorubas and if there's any non Yoruba who's noticed this too, please say so perhaps those who do it,have no clue the way it comes across to others.
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by Treetop20(m): 10:01pm On Feb 08, 2009
is osisi a tribalist?
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by tope2000(f): 10:02pm On Feb 08, 2009
I totally agree with you, but its not just yoruba people that do that.
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by osisi2(f): 10:03pm On Feb 08, 2009
Treetop20:

is osisi a tribalist?

are you missing the whole point of the thread?
are you guilty of what I'm talking about?
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by Hauwa1: 10:04pm On Feb 08, 2009
grin i thot only ghana pple do it. when i go to party (the few ones i make up my mind to go to) and pple start speaking their language, i just carry my food and chair go siddon for outside.
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by Nobody: 10:05pm On Feb 08, 2009
I've seen it happen many times before, though I'm very sure not only some yorubas do this
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by asha80(m): 10:06pm On Feb 08, 2009
I tought i was the only one that noticed that.I wonder why they always do it.
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by ijawgirl: 10:10pm On Feb 08, 2009
yorubas do that alot, its very annoying  undecided
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by osisi2(f): 10:14pm On Feb 08, 2009
*Hauwa*:

grin i thot only ghana pple do it. when i go to party (the few ones i make up my mind to go to) and pple start speaking their language, i just carry my food and chair go siddon for outside.

I'm not even talking about going to a party where most of the guests are Yoruba when the celebrant is Yoruba.
I expect people to speak their languages and dialects at a party dominated by their people.
I'm talking of an ordinary chit chat session .
Even in my University days,boy ,was it common
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by preselect(m): 10:17pm On Feb 08, 2009
that is never going to stop anytime soon
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by Nobody: 10:28pm On Feb 08, 2009
Osisi, you don start again, nawa for you ohhhhhh.

Are you saying it's proper when ANYONE do it, be it with the person that can understand the language?

It does not matter which language is being spoken, it's simply rude when you're talking to the phone with ssomeone and you break off talking to another person without saying, HOLD ON.
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by Treetop20(m): 10:29pm On Feb 08, 2009
**osisi:

are you missing the whole point of the thread?
are you guilty of what I'm talking about?
no i am not
you just seem so stuck on lipsrsealed
anyway carry on
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by osisi2(f): 11:06pm On Feb 08, 2009
HeatFusion:

Osisi, you don start again, nawa for you ohhhhhh.

Are you saying it's proper when ANYONE do it, be it with the person that can understand the language?

It does not matter which language is being spoken, it's simply rude when you're talking to the phone with ssomeone and you break off talking to another person without saying, HOLD ON.

I'm sure you know exactly what I'm referring to.
I never mentioned a phone conversation,did I?
Please read the original post again.
Please don't make this thread what it's not,I beg of you.
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by Nobody: 11:13pm On Feb 08, 2009
**osisi:

I'm sure you know exactly what I'm referring to.
I never mentioned phone conversation,did I?
Please read the original post again.
Please don't make this thread what it's not,I beg of you.

I apologize for not understanind your post.

But it is not only yoruba ppl that do it. If you're talking to someone and your friend comes along, what do you do? Ignore her?
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by dayokanu(m): 11:33pm On Feb 08, 2009
You think its bad in Yoruba land because you mix more with Yoruba people.

When I was in the North for NYSC even in government or private offices Hausa is the language.

The LG chairman insisted on addressing us only in Hausa despite the fact that just 3 people out of 38 understood.

If u are anywhere speaking English the next thing is a guy barges in Salam Alaykum and blows hausa anyhow.
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by asha80(m): 11:42pm On Feb 08, 2009
Most yorubas do it.I use most here because i have come across a few of them that where not born and bred i yoruba land and they do not behave like that.The topic reminds me of an incident that happened in my nysc camp.

We where camped in room and we where about 20 in a room and from different ethnic groups.All of us will be discussing and in the middle of the conversations the yorubas peeps will talking to themselves in yoruba  .It continued for sometime until one 'waffi' guy rebuked them.The yoruba peeps retorted back that why should he rebuke them.

It was then that the guy told them he is also a yoruba boy but brought up in warri and told them that that attitude was not right.We the roomates where suprised that he was actually yoruba because of the way the guy was always hammering waffi pidgeon.  Funnily enough later that night one the yoruba guy went and met him privately and told him that he was not behaving like true yoruba guy but the 'waffi' guy told him off.

However the 'waffi' guy can speak yoruba quite well as i discovered later when i heard him talking to his fathe over the phone.

1 Like

Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by bawomolo(m): 11:44pm On Feb 08, 2009
generalizations galore.
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by osisi2(f): 12:25am On Feb 09, 2009
HeatFusion:

I apologize for not understanind your post.

But it is not only yoruba ppl that do it. If you're talking to someone and your friend comes along, what do you do? Ignore her?

If the friend speaks English what's wrong in speaking to her in English or even "broken"
Must you speak Yoruba to your Yoruba friends while in the midst of non Yoruba speakers?
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by osisi2(f): 12:31am On Feb 09, 2009
asha 80:

Most yorubas do it.I use most here because i have come across a few of them that where not born and bred i yoruba land and they do not behave like that.The topic reminds me of an incident that happened in my nysc camp.

We where camped in room and we where about 20 in a room and from different ethnic groups.All of us will be discussing and in the middle of the conversations the yorubas peeps will talking to themselves in yoruba  .It continued for sometime until one 'waffi' guy rebuked them.The yoruba peeps retorted back that why should he rebuke them.

It was then that the guy told them he is also a yoruba boy but brought up in warri and told them that that attitude was not right.We the roomates where suprised that he was actually yoruba because of the way the guy was always hammering waffi pidgeon.  Funnily enough later that night one the yoruba guy went and met him privately and told him that he was not behaving like true yoruba guy but the 'waffi' guy told him off.

However the 'waffi' guy can speak yoruba quite well as i discovered later when i heard him talking to his fathe over the phone.

My examples are numerous with  different people.
My good friend ,one time bossom friend in Houston ,did it all the time till I told her it was very rude and she apologised but never could stop it.
We'll be talking and here comes Toun her friend and immediately they go off screaming away in Yoruba when Toun speaks very good English.
And my hubby who went to a university in Yoruba land says it was an everday occurence amongst his Yoruba friends too.
It even happened when you went with a Yoruba classmate to see a professor for something academic , he said.
As soon as you got there,your friend would prostrate and they go off in Yoruba and you're just there looking  like a fool
and at the end of their long conversation,you have no clue if he's presented the problem you came with and gotten a solution for both of you or just himself undecided
then the prof turns over to you as if to say "what's your problem" and you don't know whether to narrate the reason you came or prostrate on the floor like your friend did.
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by Hotstepper(f): 6:25am On Feb 09, 2009
it is very rampant among Yorubas and i alwayz trace it to Ghanaians,
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by davidif: 7:00am On Feb 09, 2009
WHEN I AM WITH MY ASIAN FRIENDS, THEY SPEAK THERE NATIVE LANGUAGE, THEY DON'T GO OUT OF THERE WAY TOO PLEASE PEOPLE AND GUESS WHAT?? IT DOESN'T BOTHER ME. THE PROBLEM WITH NIGERIANS IS NOT ONLY THAT WE ARE PEOPLE PLEASERS BUT THAT WE ARE ASHAMED OF OUR NATIVE TONGUE.
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by Arnold1(m): 7:23am On Feb 09, 2009
**osisi is always having issues with yorubas. Nairaland is her yoruba hating play ground.

These are some of her favorite posts on nairaland.

I could go on and on

Run into a Nigerian anywhere in the world,he is more likely to be an Igbo man

It's just jealousy.

They are mad,we were not annihilated as Awo dreamt.

Awolowo is dead and rotted and the Igbo man has waxed stronger and stronger.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-7229.0.html#msg666169

I heard that those yoruba women sitting and selling in the market place also defecate in those containers they are sitting on and could be selling you things at the same time.

I heard that they are very dirty also.

I heard they borrow money to do all that owa mbe

that Yorubas are unreliable.

that they are all mouth and no action,remember Jegede Shokoya of masquerade

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-18580.32.html#msg541705

Visit this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-55363.96.html#msg1210914

and read posts #116 and #118 and see what is being said about babyosisi (her previous alias)

@babyosisi
think you're very troublesome and quarelsome. You're a tribalist. You can only try, nothing you fit do to YORUBA people you hear! Tribalist

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-55363.96.html#msg1210914

1 Like

Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by Arnold1(m): 7:28am On Feb 09, 2009
These are the types of threads you'll see ** osisi creating

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-152416.0.html

read her first post on the thread (as Queenisha)

Do Yorubas discriminate against other Yorubas with large tribal marks on their faces?
Do those with tribal marks feel a sort of complex for having them ?
would you turn down a prospective mate or suitor because of tribal marks?
Honest answers please.

Here are other threads. **osisi is obviously obsessed with yoruba people in a tribalistic context

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-160866.0.html

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-59913.0.html#msg1220984
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by Arnold1(m): 8:02am On Feb 09, 2009
Hotstepper:

it is very rampant among Yorubas and i alwayz trace it to Ghanaians,

And then you have the osisi follow follows like hotstepper, romeo etc. They have no backbones of their own. Whenever
osisi gives her usual bias opinions, you see the hotsteppers of Nairaland making redundant backup statements.

I am even surprised that she spelt rampant correctly. Hotstepper usually writes very poorly and she is supposed
to be a canadian college senior/recent graduate of international relations undecided pitiful

Spend more time on improving your writing skills than speaking ill of the yorubas, okay ? anuofia.
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by farotika(m): 9:26am On Feb 09, 2009
davidif:

WHEN I AM WITH MY ASIAN FRIENDS, THEY SPEAK THERE NATIVE LANGUAGE, THEY GO OUT OF THERE WAY TOO PLEASE PEOPLE AND GUESS WHAT?? IT DOESN'T BOTHER ME. THE PROBLEM WITH NIGERIANS IS NOT ONLY THAT WE ARE PEOPLE PLEASERS BUT THAT WE ARE ASHAMED OF OUR NATIVE TONGUE.

I think we should be proud of our native tongue. If I can, I will learn to speak other Nigerian languages apart from my own. I'll be so interesting. English language to me is foreign and according to Fela, it lacks expression.

Thank you very much Arnold for your revelation. By the way, y the name Arnold, its foreign; y not give urself: Zik or Tafawa etc undecided
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by argent(f): 10:40am On Feb 09, 2009
This not only common to yoruba people only.

@ osisi, your tribe is the one most guilty of this. I have been with a lot of igbo people and they just go on speaking their language not minding that someone is among them who doesnt understand a word. They go as far as doing this even in the office. It can be terrible.
So osisi before you remoce the speck in another's eye please remove the log in yours first. Thanks
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by asha80(m): 11:13am On Feb 09, 2009
This not only common to yoruba people only.

@ osisi, your tribe is the one most guilty of this. I have been with a lot of igbo people and they just go on speaking their language not minding that someone is among them who doesnt understand a word. They go as far as doing this even in the office. Its can be terrible.
So osisi before you remoce the speck in another's eye please remove the log in yours first. Thanks

BIG LIE.If for anything igbos actually critcize themselves of speaking english to one another.

1 Like

Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by SisiJinx: 12:17pm On Feb 09, 2009
It's amazing how people take something common to every tribe and attribute to one. Suddenly, Yoruba are the only ones who speak their language to each other? Puh-lease.

I'm not denying it is rude but it's not just common to the Yorubas abeg.

I've been around Igbos who do it, Hausas who do it, Hispanics who do it, Asians who do it, Germans who do it. No one particular tribe or people have ownership on rudeness, thank you very much.

@ Asha80
If Igbo criticize themselves of speaking English to each other. . . Doesn't that mean what you claim is a big lie, isn't?
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by bridget007(f): 12:31pm On Feb 09, 2009
Yes, this is so annoying. My husband does this all the time. I am british and he and all his friends/family speak english, but still talk around me all the time in yoruba so I am always excluded out of conversation. When I complain he says well elarn Yoruba then, I would but you don't\exact;y learn it over night. I think it his very very rude.
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by Seun(m): 12:34pm On Feb 09, 2009
Yes, it's rude in the company of friends, but if you're in a public place, strangers aren't supposed to be listening to your private conversations in the first place.
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by argent(f): 12:48pm On Feb 09, 2009
Are yorubas the only tribe guilty of this? Somebody should answer me please. angry
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by asha80(m): 12:59pm On Feb 09, 2009
@sisijinx
it simply means igbos have this tendency of speaking english to one another privately let alone in the company of peeps that do not speak the language hence the criticism.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What If Proto-igboid Speakers Entered Igboland From The South? / These Photos From An Efik Wedding Will Wow You / The Central/standard Igbo Language Is From Owerri And Umuahia.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.