Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,562 members, 7,809,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:57 PM

A New Set World Record Of The Most Expensive Painting - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / A New Set World Record Of The Most Expensive Painting (1460 Views)

My Portrait Painting Portfolio Artist Ayeola Ayodeji / Photo:new Set Style / The Man That Wants To Set World’s Longest Work Of Art On Canvas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A New Set World Record Of The Most Expensive Painting by bidexmat(m): 7:50am On May 13, 2015
A painting by Pablo Picasso has set a new world record for the most expensive artwork to be sold at auction after reaching $179m (£115m) in New York.

Women of Algiers (Version O) had been expected to exceed $140m before the auction but the final price far exceeded those estimates in a sale at Christie’s auction house at a time when collectors’ appetite for masterpieces of impressionist, modern and contemporary art is increasing. 

On Monday night, several bidders competing via telephone drove the winning bid to $160m, for a final price of $179,365,000 including Christie’s commission of just over 12%. 

Previously the most expensive work sold at auction was Francis Bacon’s triptych Three Studies of Lucian Freud, which sold for $142.4m at Christie’s in November 2013.

Experts say the prices are driven by artworks’ investment value and by wealthy new and established collectors seeking out the very best works. 

“I don’t really see an end to it, unless interest rates drop sharply, which I don’t see happening in the near future,” Manhattan dealer Richard Feigen said. 

Picasso’s work is a vibrant, multi-hued painting featuring a scantily attired woman amid smaller nudes.

The evening sale also featured Alberto Giacometti’s life-size sculpture Pointing Man which reached estimated $141.3m, earning it the title of most expensive sculpture sold at auction.

Impressionist and modern artworks continue to corner the market because “they are beautiful, accessible and a proven value,” said Sarah Lichtman, a professor of design history and curatorial studies at the New School.

“Prices for works from these periods only seem to go up each auction cycle and the reputations of the artists become further enshrined,” she said. “Today the works epitomise the conservative, moneyed establishment.”

Women of Algiers, once owned by the American collectors Victor and Sally Ganz, was inspired by Picasso’s fascination with the 19th-century French artist Eugène Delacroix. It is part of a 15-work series Picasso created in 1954-1955 designated with the letters A to O.

It has appeared in several major museum retrospectives of the artist.

Overall, 34 of 35 lots sold at Monday’s auction for a total of $706 million.

Experts say the prices were driven by artworks’ investment value and by wealthy collectors seeking out the very best works.

“I don’t really see an end to it unless interest rates drop sharply, which I don’t see happening in the near future,” said Manhattan dealer Richard Feigen.

Re: A New Set World Record Of The Most Expensive Painting by whillyamz98(m): 7:57am On May 13, 2015
Waste of resource. mtcheew
Re: A New Set World Record Of The Most Expensive Painting by DaimlerBen(m): 9:05am On May 14, 2015
For that price, you could run a mid-table Formula 1 team or two back table teams, every Aston Martin sold in the UK last year, three Bloodhound SSC's (the 1609km/hr car), 77 Bugatti Veyrons (more than a quarter of the Veyron population)...
Re: A New Set World Record Of The Most Expensive Painting by Nobody: 1:56am On May 19, 2015
I really want to understand how oyibo makes money investing in artworks.

(1) (Reply)

Learn Corel And Photoshop Skills In Akure,ondo State. / My Photo Manipulation / Oejoseph - Propaint Mobile (ppm) Artz

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.