Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,067 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:15 PM

Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore (6278 Views)

Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? / Why Don't You Eat Before Church? / Prayer Points To Break The Powers Of Witchcraft (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by toneyb: 8:27pm On Feb 12, 2009
The bible are the writing(fiction and fantasy) of medieval men, i am surprised that we have people that are here trying to rationalize those fiction using circular logic, christian circular logic will make you dizzy. Here is my previous post from another thread.
If you ask a Christian person about Jesus' divinity, you may find yourself in a conversation like this:

Toney: If Jesus is God, why didn't Jesus ever prove that he is God by leaving evidence to show that he onced lived with men as the bible says he did?
David: He did! He performed many miracles, and he was resurrected. That proves that he is God!

Toney: Why did he not prove that he is God in a way that is definitive and scientifically provable so that people will see and believe long after after his death because all of what was written about him as per his life, death and resurrection is only found in the bible and no where else -- for example he should have moved a mountain so that scientist will verify years later after his death that he truly lived and performed all the alleged miracles that were attributed to him in the bible?

David: He could not do that! That would take away man's free will to believe in him. People must come to God through faith.

Toney: Why, then, did Jesus perform the miracles described in the Gospels?

David: To prove that he is God. If he had not done the miracles, culminating in his final most miraculous resurrection, we would not know that he is God.

Toney: I thought that if Jesus performed miracles to prove that he was God, then it took away our free will.

David: No.

Toney: Isn't that what you just said?

David: No. What I just said is that Jesus' miracles prove that he was God.

Toney: So why didn't Jesus perform real, concrete miracles like moving a mountain?

David: Because that would take away our free will.

Try having this conversation yourself with a christian and you will find it to be a very odd discussion. The circular logic will make you dizzy:

[list]
[li] Jesus had to perform miracles to prove his divinity, and that doesn't take away free will  [/li]
[li]  But if Jesus performed miracles that we could see and scientifically verify, it would take away free will.    [/li]
[/list]
the "miracles" discussed in the Bible did not take place because there are no outside records of them any where except in the bible, this is the same with the koran . in the koran we have the prophet of islam performing miracles ,but there are also no outside records of this anywhere except in the koran and the hadith(I hope i get the spelling right). its purely a web of lies and delusion.

christians the world over have stories to tell about the healing powers of their god, some still claim that god heals people and raises people from the dead in this day and age because the believe that their is nothing that their god can not do but when you ask them why is it that their god does not heal amputees and make their amputated limbs grow back to the way it was before it got amputeted as you have once pointed out in one of your post you here the same apologies lChristainsike this

David: Christians serve a living God

Toney:What makes you say so

David: Because he just healed my friend that was suffering for malaria

Toney: Are you sure?

David: Of course i am, there is nothing that the lord can not do, he raised the dead and healed the blind in the bible so there is nothing that he can not do.

Toney:OK why can't he heal amputees and make their limbs grow back? i have a friend who is an amputee so i will like for your god to heal him and make his limbs grow back.

David: No, if he does that he it will take away our free will. All those who must serve the lord must do so in faith.

Toney: But you just said that there is nothing that the lord can not do, you said that he raised the dead and healed the blind in the bible, you even said he healed your friend of malaria, if he can raised the dead and heal the blind why then cant he heal an amputee.

David: Yes he did heal my friend to show that he is lord and can do all things, he is still healing people right now as we speak including raising the dead.

Toney: Then why can't he heal my friend who is an amputee.

David: Because it will take away our free will.
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by Busybody2(f): 8:28pm On Feb 12, 2009
Okija_juju:

Thank you bawo

Busy_body, show me in the guiness book of records where one man was able to beat up the entire army of another country single handedly. angry

What fun is there in walking where someone has already trodden cheesy

Check this link for example: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-232788.0.html
Isn't this invention and ingenuity a treble miracle in itself, allowing us ladies to eat our cake and still have it grin Isn't a miracle about turning something into something cheesy cheesy cheesy

MIRACLE 1 ~ #Turn a non-virgin into a virgin cool
MIRACLE 2 ~ #Turn the unfortunate hubby into a mug for believing she is a good catch at her age tongue
MIRACLE 3 ~ #Turn the N30,000 dowry she would have received into N3,000,000 because she kept herself intact cheesy

I pity men sha, LOL grin
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by bawomolo(m): 8:33pm On Feb 12, 2009
you are not serious grin
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by Okijajuju1(m): 9:50pm On Feb 12, 2009
Busy_body:

What fun is there in walking where someone has already trodden cheesy

Check this link for example: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-232788.0.html
Isn't this invention and ingenuity a treble miracle in itself, allowing us ladies to eat our cake and still have it grin Isn't a miracle about turning something into something cheesy cheesy cheesy

MIRACLE 1 ~ #Turn a non-virgin into a virgin cool
MIRACLE 2 ~ #Turn the unfortunate hubby into a mug for believing she is a good catch at her age tongue
MIRACLE 3 ~ #Turn the N30,000 dowry she would have received into N3,000,000 because she kept herself intact cheesy

I pity men sha, LOL grin

Even Jesus would be impressed with this miracle.
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by toneyb: 11:08pm On Feb 12, 2009
More drivels from the writings of medieval jews.

He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD . Deuteronomy 23:1

Having your private parts injured or cut off is repulsive to yahwe grin grin. He doesn't like such injured people present at his gathering. Who but ancient mad men will write this?

Eze 4:10 And thy meat which thou shalt eat [shall be] by weight, twenty shekels a day: from time to time shalt thou eat it.

Eze 4:11 Thou shalt drink also water by measure, the sixth part of an hin: from time to time shalt thou drink.

Eze 4:12 And thou shalt eat it [as] barley cakes, and thou shalt bake it with dung that cometh out of man, in their sight.

This medieval jews are freaks. they use the name of their god to urge people to eat human sh*t.

Yahweh doesn't like wet dreams.
If there be among you any man, that is not clean by reason of uncleanness that chanceth him by night, then shall he go abroad out of the camp, he shall not come within the camp

Why don't pastors use these passages when preaching about yahweh?
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by Image123(m): 1:39pm On Feb 13, 2009
Miracles have their purposes.There's no miracle as great as the salvation of a soul.To see a sinner transformed and purposed to serve God.To what purpose would you split the river Benue,to show your girlfriend.God is not a magician.If you want to do tricks and impress your loved ones,go to an amusement park
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by ots: 2:52pm On Feb 13, 2009
@ image
don,t mind them. it shows clearly that they are non-christians,feeling as if they understand the bible more than us.they just remind me of their perfect description in ROMANS1:22

PROFESSING TO BE WISE THEY BECAME FOOLS

pls don't b mad at me it is GOD who says so NOT me
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by Okijajuju1(m): 5:06pm On Feb 13, 2009
Image123:

Miracles have their purposes.

And what is this purpose exactly??
If you for a blind athiest and he recieves his sight, how difficult would it be to convince him of the authenticity of your God??
Miracles are to show the greatness and power of God. So imagine if A christian could pray down manna fron heaven, all poor people would be christians.

Image123:

There's no miracle as great as the salvation of a soul.To see a sinner transformed and purposed to serve God.To what purpose would you split the river Benue,to show your girlfriend.

Like I have already said, if you had powers, evengelism would be easy. Anybody who can split the river Niger would become the greatest man of God alive. His/her church would have the largest congregation in the world. Why the hell do you think people troop to crusades, conventions, retreats, e.t.c. T.B Joshua can perform some really cool miracles, thats why he has such a congregation.

Image123:

God is not a magician.

I beg to differ. Daniel and the lions den, Shedrach and co, in the furnace, floating axes, never ending flow of oil, fire from heaven, pillar of salt, feeding a multitude with 5 loaves and 2 fishes, raisng the dead, rising from the dead, turning water to wine, Jonah and the whale, e.t.c. If this isnt magic then I wonder what you call magic. God is a magician.

@ OTS

That wan concern you. If in the past people could do super human things, then why cant we do any of those things in this day and time.

Afterall your bible says in the book of hebrews and i quote

Heb 13:8

8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.
KJV

So if this is true, why is he doing the things he did yesterday today.
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by toneyb: 5:48pm On Feb 13, 2009
ots:

@ image
don,t mind them. it shows clearly that they are non-christians,feeling as if they understand the bible more than us.they just remind me of their perfect description in ROMANS1:22

PROFESSING TO BE WISE THEY BECAME[b] FOOLS[/b]

Of course. The bible always demonizes anyone that doesn't believe, it is a tactic related to dehumanization whenever you need to denegrate a target. The bible for example, calls anyone that does not believe a - liar, evil, the enemy, anti-christ, fools, pigs, dogs, beasts, and perverts. It is not confident enough to allow the outgroup to exist unmolested, hence the need to reinforce the ingroup mentality with what is typically used by hate groups as a form of propaganda. It is simply sad that both the bible does this and you engage in it yourself towards others in place of any civil discussion.The popular belief is that any body that dares to question the ridiculous assertions of the bible is fighting it and always needs to be addressed as a troubled and lost fool who does not know what he is doing.
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by bawomolo(m): 8:22pm On Feb 13, 2009
ots:

@ image

PROFESSING TO BE WISE THEY BECAME FOOLS

dude no one is challenging your faith here.  it's a simple question, where did these supernatural abilities that God gave his followers in the past go?

Would you be saved by the spirit if i light you on fire?
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by Image123(m): 1:36am On Feb 14, 2009
@ots
I'm not minding them jare my friend.

@okija_juju.You baffle me.You shouldn't even be in this discussion.You're saying T.B Joshua can perform some really cool miracles because you 'want to make a point' and then you swerve immediately and say no one performs miracles?where you stand?
And what is this purpose exactly??
If you for a blind athiest and he recieves his sight, how difficult would it be to convince him of the authenticity of your God??
Miracles are to show the greatness and power of God. So imagine if A christian could pray down manna fron heaven, all poor people would be christians
Unfortunately,your blind atheist will not go to where his miracle is waiting for him.He'll not even believe for the miracle if he were dragged there.God has provided for people who had faith in Him in time past.Ever heard of George Muller?God still provides for people today.People do not become strong christians because of bread and butter.Faith is more than that.It is righteousness,peace and joy in the Holy Ghost.There's more important things in God's estimation than signs and wonders.Even devil can do signs and wonders.Its not big deal.When I say God is not a magician,I'm saying He is not an entertainer,performing tricks for your amusement.Thats what magicians do.There are greater purposes for God's signs and wonders.Jesus remains the same todayas He was and will be.All you need to do is Believe and you'll see the glory of God.Open your eyes more and stop feeding on them say.Go personally and verify this things from the congregations of those that you seem to trust to a certain level
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by bawomolo(m): 6:17am On Feb 14, 2009
okija_juju.You baffle me.You shouldn't even be in this discussion.You're saying T.B Joshua can perform some really cool miracles because you 'want to make a point' and then you swerve immediately and say no one performs miracles?where you stand?

have those tv miracles been confirmed
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by Image123(m): 12:35pm On Feb 14, 2009
@bawomolo
Go personally and verify this things.Some will tell you yes and some no,it depends on who you're lucky to speak with,but if you want to know,do it yourself.The power of God is real today
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by Lease(m): 8:42pm On Apr 24, 2016
farotika:
Jesus said: "f any man believe in me, the work dat I do will he do also, greater work than this will he do because I go unto my father"

He also said: "When I come back to the world, will I meet faith on earth?"

The promises of God are still yea and amen. The problem we have is our faithlessness. Faith simply means: Forsaking All, I Trust Him. But today, a lot of things have clouded our mind and taken the position of God in our life. The Devil has clouded our heart with the affairs of this world. We dont want to wait on God, we want to make it quickly thru any means possible forgetting dat the eyes of God are purer than to behold iniquity.

If Jesus had fallen to the temptation of the devil and bowed down to the devil in exchange for the possession of this world, then Jesus would have fallen out of place with God but he was able to resist the temptation and thereby became the saviour of the world.

Concerning the issue of human life span, God Himself b/cos of our continued sinful nature had at one time or the other reduced the life span of human being; the last reduction was to 70 years.

Moreover, a good x-tian will not wish to spent 200 years in this sinful world when he knows he would be seeing God whenever he closes his eyes in death.

Shallom!

Please be careful not to misquote the bible. It was King David that made the statement about life span been reduced to 70 years based on his observations of the trend at his time due to sin. Not Jehovah GOD. In fact King David himself spent 120 years on earth.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Deep Significance Of The Midnight Hour / Who Are Your Favourite Bible Characters? / We Come Back as Lesser Animals When We Die - Satire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.