Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,067 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:30 AM

Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? (31876 Views)

If You Are Yoruba You Should Relate To This (pic) / Eid Ul Adha 2015 E-cards Greeting Cards Download Free / Are Yoruba Girls Dirty? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by crixlight2(m): 6:47pm On May 15, 2015
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Mcowubaba: 6:48pm On May 15, 2015
Believe me, this thread will turn into something else.... One big foool go bring APC/PDP or igbo matter for this thing....
M watching..who is d edioot

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by idris4eva(m): 6:49pm On May 15, 2015
papichula:
Good day everyone, i was going to shop yesterday where i learn tailoring. I passed the shop beside us when a girl of about five to seven years older than told me that i passed without greeting her. I know it is right to greet those older than you but there are sometimes you're thinking of another thing and greeting is not on your radar. I smiled and passed thinking she was joking...

In the afternoon me and my senior passed, none of us greeted...she now told my boss dat i don't greet...

Thank God my boss is a watsup man so he just told me that i should try to greet..

The point is
why didn't she complain about the other guy with me? What nutrient do people gain from greeting them that she does not want to let me be...

Work that i just started less than 3 weeks, they want to spoil my name angry

Yorubas, not all are too obsessed with greeting. You will never see an Hausa person complaining about greeting...

That's not only the person I have seen complaining.
me i dont even greet at all except the over elderly ones. I once had a boss like that if he passed by and u dnt greet na wahala o...it a wish anyway i cn decide to greet u and might not
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by karkel(m): 6:52pm On May 15, 2015
papichula:
Good day everyone, i was going to shop yesterday where i learn tailoring. I passed the shop beside us when a girl of about five to seven years older than told me that i passed without greeting her. I know it is right to greet those older than you but there are sometimes you're thinking of another thing and greeting is not on your radar. I smiled and passed thinking she was joking...

In the afternoon me and my senior passed, none of us greeted...she now told my boss dat i don't greet...

Thank God my boss is a watsup man so he just told me that i should try to greet..

The point is
why didn't she complain about the other guy with me? What nutrient do people gain from greeting them that she does not want to let me be...

Yorubas, not all are too obsessed with greeting. You will never see an Hausa person complaining about greeting...

Yoruba no greet pass Edo

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by meforyou1(m): 6:52pm On May 15, 2015
Yorubas are so funny with their greetings. If I see my mum, I will just walk up to her and say "Nma good morning", but if a yoruba sees his mum from 1 km, he will start practicing the press up and all the rubbish he will say to her in the name of greeting.

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Abasstoheeb(m): 6:53pm On May 15, 2015
It's tradition in yoruba It's tradition in yoruba If u liv with elderly people, u ll know hw much important day do value it
Shikenna

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by DollyParton1(f): 6:54pm On May 15, 2015
Mcowubaba:
Believe me, this thread will turn into something else....
One big foool go bring APC/PDP or igbo matter for this thing....
M watching..who is d edioot

steppin:

Their ignorance in that area is shameful.
Even the educated ones think same way.
Once you're not from the North, you're automatically an Igbo.
One of the major reasons why Uncle Joe lost, was because majority of them thought he was an Igbo man.

Some fool did already.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by DollyParton1(f): 6:56pm On May 15, 2015
Papichula, I assume you are not Yoruba. Because a Yoruba son or daughter who asks this sort of question is what they call "Omo alaileko".

8 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by africanusvu(m): 6:56pm On May 15, 2015
Yes,yhe Yorubas greets a lot,But behind that much greetings are much sinister IRONY so destructive that will make u Believe that Actualy Salutation is not LOVE

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Mourin(f): 6:57pm On May 15, 2015
kekakuz:
you don't have to link Yoruba to it. yesterday in my office,an Igbo girl knelt down to collect money from ATM I swears
LMAO

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by fabulouskeem(m): 6:57pm On May 15, 2015
coded01:
You may call it obessession but we call it RESPECT... grin

Because "we value the importance of greeting"... cheesy

I will also call it Traditional Ethics, we as Yoruba have been taught & grow up to happily live that way... cheesy

Wa gbayi grin

10 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Strongfaze(m): 6:57pm On May 15, 2015
Hausa has a proverb which says 'too much of greeting is better than insult'. Stop to dey follow Western cultures half way guys. In my moral philosophy (GENS 201) class years back, it was stated clearly that one sign of in-discipline is lack of GREETING.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by DollyParton1(f): 6:58pm On May 15, 2015
kekakuz:
you don't have to link Yoruba to it.
yesterday in my office,an Igbo girl knelt down to collect money from ATM
I swears

Lol... she must be using her husband's Atm card. You know Igbo men are the Alpha and Omega of their women
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Chubhie: 6:58pm On May 15, 2015
What nutrient do people gain from greeting
them that she does not want to let me be...
The feel good nutrient.....I presume.
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Occurstaem(m): 6:59pm On May 15, 2015
steppin:

Their ignorance in that area is shameful.
Even the educated ones think same way.
Once you're not from the North, you're automatically an Igbo.
One of the major reasons why Uncle Joe lost, was because majority of them thought he was an Igbo man.
But when Jonathan won there in 2011, Yoruba thought he was Hausa, abi ?
Hmmm... Amazing

18 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by emmatok(m): 6:59pm On May 15, 2015
I thought NL rules 2 is still working?
Don't abuse, bully, deliberately insult/provoke, fight, or wish harm to Nairaland members OR THEIR TRIBES.

How the MOD quickly move this to FP is surprising.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by coded01: 7:00pm On May 15, 2015
fabulouskeem:

Wa gbayi grin

Amin oh ati eyin na... wink

E se Sir... cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by mightycrown1(m): 7:00pm On May 15, 2015
I DONT KNOW WHY POEPLE WANT TO DIE BECAUSE OF YORUBA ISSUES.

NO LEVEL OF CIVILIZATION CAN MAKE US FORGET OUR CULTURE.
IF WOLE SOYINKA CAN GREET WITH RESPECT (SHOWING THE SIGN) UPON HIS LEVEL OF KNOWLEDGE, IT SHOWS THAT WE YORUBAS CAN'T SELL OUR CULTURE BECAUSE OF BORROWED OR BOUGHT CULTURES CALLED CIVILIZATION.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by amokeme(f): 7:01pm On May 15, 2015
meforyou1:
Hypocritical and back-stabbing greetings
exactly!
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by NewNigeriaMind: 7:01pm On May 15, 2015
tonychristopher:
they are eye service lovers..but failing to realise that salutation is not love

Yourba have an adage for that, still it's the culture
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by DaPhilosopher(m): 7:02pm On May 15, 2015
It is our culture! You can't help it!

But blv me, greeting people brings respect! People see you as a responsible person just cos u greet them always! Try adopt that method, and see hw everybody will love you!

Asa Ati Ise Ile Yoruba Ni Kiki (The 'Aku' people)!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Dinirojones(m): 7:02pm On May 15, 2015
Slide tackle grin cheesy :Duna nor go kill me wit laff o cheesy
mrborntodoit:
Lol

I have o problem with their greeting method but I have a problem with the way they judge other tribes by the way they greet their elders.

For example,some people are fund of accusing another tribe of greeting their parent with slide tackle grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by DollyParton1(f): 7:03pm On May 15, 2015
Occurstaem:

But when Jonathan won there in 2011, Yoruba thought he was Hausa, abi
Hmmm... Amazing
Don't mind the fool. They had no ill feeling against Yoruba's choice of voting when they casted most of their votes for him in 2011.
Even the Hausas went all out for him in 2011 also, these mofos had nothing against it then.

10 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Nobody: 7:03pm On May 15, 2015
papichula:

The point is

A friend of mine did NYSC In Ibadan area
She told me how sickened she was of this greeting thing
The landlord mandated all the tenants to greet his old mother every blessed day
Imagine waking up in the morning in your hurry to rush out,you must first go and knock on mama's door and bow down and greet her before leaving.
If you fail and he sees you,he will remind you to go and greet her
Sometimes after the morning ones,you may be reminded to go and greet her in the evening
I had never heard a thing like that in my life
Maybe it's like oxygen to some
It's polite to greet people but you don't demand it
Maybe from small children to teach them proper manners but certainly not mandating adults to greet you not only that to seek you out and greet you
That's absurd

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by NewNigeriaMind: 7:03pm On May 15, 2015
meforyou1:
Yorubas are so funny with their greetings. If I see my mum, I will just walk up to her and say "Nma good morning", but if a yoruba sees his mum from 1 km, he will start practicing the press up and all the rubbish he will say to her in the name of greeting.

The sugar coating and exaggeration has spoilt the joke

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by maximunimpact(m): 7:03pm On May 15, 2015
Nothing but respect....... May19 loading

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by xynerise: 7:04pm On May 15, 2015
coded01:
You may call it obessession grin but we call it RESPECT... cheesy

Because "we value the importance of greeting"... cheesy

I will also call it Traditional Ethics, we as Yorubas have been taught & grow up to happily live that way... cheesy
And the same person you greet today will be "Brother Ode" tomorrow
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by thecommunist(m): 7:04pm On May 15, 2015
adebisiema:
It's the norm in Yorubaland.....So deal with it!!
yeah...deal with it!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Nobody: 7:05pm On May 15, 2015
Nothing but respect.............may19 loading
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by cbrass(m): 7:05pm On May 15, 2015
meforyou1:

Wetin Yoruba do you now undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The Fulani / Siddika Lamido To Wed Abubakar Umar Kurfi (Photos) / The Aseyin of Iseyin, Oba Adekunle Salawudeen Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.