Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,819 members, 7,802,620 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:37 PM

Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? (31850 Views)

If You Are Yoruba You Should Relate To This (pic) / Eid Ul Adha 2015 E-cards Greeting Cards Download Free / Are Yoruba Girls Dirty? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by isalegan2: 4:43pm On May 17, 2015
haibe:
undecided what is this one saying

Means you iz a brat, son. wink
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by papichula: 6:23pm On May 17, 2015
Am not saying you should not greet ur elders but must you greet every one you see?
gabbytabby:
Make the Igbos in the house enlighten mua. Is it that in your culture you just wake up for morning see an elder on your way to the stream and pass by without any word of greeting, see your mother or father and just close mouth they look. your mother and father in law school and nko you swell like bread whey them put inside water waka pass.

To me every African culture has respect for elders and community at its heart and what way to show this than an acknowledgement of each other when we meet. Even in US and Canada greetings are no biggie.

The generations are getting rude and discourteous and at times instead of addressing this some try to justify it.
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by rukkyland(m): 10:44pm On May 19, 2015
Ephemmm:

Since the day you don dey pussle money, how much have you gathered that no one has ever gathered? People's culture belong to them: why the headache?

what is this one saying?
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Nobody: 3:39am On May 20, 2015
meforyou1:
Yorubas are so funny with their greetings. If I see my mum, I will just walk up to her and say "Nma good morning", but if a yoruba sees his mum from 1 km, he will start practicing the press up and all the rubbish he will say to her in the name of greeting.

How mentally deranged can one be ?
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by G3n3sis: 8:11am On May 20, 2015
People shud stop castigating others cos we're different. Respect is reciprocal smiley
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Ephemmm: 10:58am On May 20, 2015
rukkyland:

what is this one saying?

Only those whose mind are free from 'ethnicity bondage' can understand and you are not among: I am not surprised you didn't understand.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by jahjehova(m): 8:05pm On May 23, 2015
And in your mind you think it's not awkward to the Yoruba man that you don't display some level of respect to your Nma? Please!!! I assume you are Igbo. If so, I guess you are aware that as an Igbo man/woman, it's not culturally acceptable to stretch out your hands to greet (shake) an elder? Inasmuch as it's your culture and I understand that, it should not be a source of concern for me.

@all: I believe we all should all just learn to co-exist with each other. If there is anything I envy about the Chinese, it's the fact that they have not allowed modernization to erode their culture. In Nigeria, reverse is the case. SMH

meforyou1:
Yorubas are so funny with their greetings. If I see my mum, I will just walk up to her and say "Nma good morning", but if a yoruba sees his mum from 1 km, he will start practicing the press up and all the rubbish he will say to her in the name of greeting.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by MizMyColi(f): 6:36am On Oct 19, 2015
Egbagirl:
This is why conflicts arise. We need to learn to appreciate and respect other cultures. I appreciated the Yoruba culture more living in Senegal. In Senegal, you greet everyone whether or not you know them. The level of greeting now depends on how well you know them. If you're walking past a store or a woman selling Beignets (puff puff) by the road side (especially someone you walk past everyday), you greet her. It doesn't have to be long. It can be a smile, a nod, a "ca va", a wave, "Nanga def". If you know the person well, you stop and do a 1 min exchange.

Yes, we can all get caught up with whatever we're going through but if someone says, "ah ah you can't even greet", the simplest thing to do is just apologize and say you were lost in your thoughts and keep it moving!

This is how societies are maintained. This is how you build and maintain communities. You interact with people, you form relationships. We need to get over this "individualism" that's taking over our societies. Interact with people, greet them, smile, wave, do something.

Yoruba people know the importance of greeting. It's a form of holding the community together as well. We have greetings for everything you can think of. Even just sitting down, we say, "e ku ijoko". When you're eating and someone walks in or sits at your table, you tell the person, "e wa jeun o" and the person replies, " ese" or "a gba ibi re".

The OP and others that are vexing over this greeting thing need to stop seeing at as a chore. Instead, see it as forming relationships with people within your community.

THIS!
Brilliant.
On Point!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

What Are These Words In Bini Language / Emir Sanusi: North Cannot Continue To Rely On Quota System / The Fulani

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.