Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:11 AM

Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. (25727 Views)

Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken / A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by secretaryabdul(m): 10:47pm On May 17, 2015
Yujin
you knew nothing about Hausa history. You read misguided literature on our history. The Hausa people were muslims even before the grandfather of Danfodio was born. In fact Usman Danfodio himself was entirely educated in Hausaland.
Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by Nowenuse: 11:40pm On May 17, 2015
Fulaman198:

I disagree, there is no evidence to support your claims. If you look at Senegal, Mauritania, Mali, Niger, Chad, Sierra Leone, Burkina Faso, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, etc. you don't see Ful6e (Fulani) practising 'extreme' forms of Islam.

In fact, amongst the Mbororo'en of Nigeria, Islam is hardly practiced. So you need to stop generalising and get your facts straight.

The reason islamic fanatism did not survive amongst the fulanis n other muslims of french speaking west africa was simply because of the direct rule system of the french colonialists in which all the people were directly governed by french (western) laws and were forced to accept french education, socialization e.t.c unlike in Nigeria where the british colonialists used the indirect system of government.
This is the major reason for the difference.
Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by Yujin(m): 12:50am On May 18, 2015
secretaryabdul:

you knew nothing about Hausa history. You read misguided literature on our history. The Hausa people were muslims even before the grandfather of Danfodio was born. In fact Usman Danfodio himself was entirely educated in Hausaland.
The issue is not about who educated Dan Fodio but about who introduced the violent form of Islam into Hausaland. Even before the days of Queen Amina of the Zazzau kingdom Hausas have been Muslims but they were still not usurpers of their neighbours lands. However the emergence of Dan Fodio brought death and destruction to many tribes and lands in the north. The Adamas of Yola, the Buba Yeros of Gombe the Yusufs of Bauchi were fulanis who destroyed the real owners of those lands. Heck even the Kanuris had their original capital Ngazargamu destroyed because of fulanis' pugnacious disposition.
Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by Fulaman198(m): 2:02am On May 18, 2015
Nowenuse:

The reason islamic fanatism did not survive amongst the fulanis n other muslims of french speaking west africa was simply because of the direct rule system of the french colonialists in which all the people were directly governed by french (western) laws and were forced to accept french education, socialization e.t.c unlike in Nigeria where the british colonialists used the indirect system of government.
This is the major reason for the difference.

Completely untrue

If you know anything about colonial French African countries, they are far less closer to the French than Anglophone African countries are close to the English.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the French as Gambia and Sierra Leone aren't French speaking countries.

The French are notorious for not allowing French education run rampant in Africa. They did everything to keep their colonies backward.
Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by Fulaman198(m): 2:05am On May 18, 2015
secretaryabdul:

That's correct even before the great great grandfather of Usmanu Bii Foduye was born.
Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by secretaryabdul(m): 12:37pm On May 18, 2015
[quote author=Yujin][/quote]
The whitemen successfully brainwashed ur heads to the extent that you only see the bad side of ur fellow Africans. Had this violent incursions been made by europeans, it would ve been simply expansion. The great Britain, France, Spain, etc did worst to ur fellow blacks than the Fulanis.
Pls read history books written by Hausa-Fulanis. The ones you read re misguided & aimed at spoiling the image of our heritage.

1 Like

Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by Yujin(m): 7:46am On May 19, 2015
secretaryabdul:

The whitemen successfully brainwashed ur heads to the extent that you only see the bad side of ur fellow Africans. Had this violent incursions been made by europeans, it would ve been simply expansion. The great Britain, France, Spain, etc did worst to ur fellow blacks than the Fulanis.
Pls read history books written by Hausa-Fulanis. The ones you read re misguided & aimed at spoiling the image of our heritage.
If you believe my brain has been whitewashed then I've nothing to say to you. The history of the Hausas has its own share of battles but it wasn't with wanton destruction like those of the Fulanis. I once came across a fulani man's diary where he recorded their raids of peaceful communities with the number of prisoners they took and all that. The descriptions were quite gory. I don't celebrate people who conquered others by force of arms but I respect those who govern others by superior reasoning and strategy. My mentor taught me that the best form of victory in warfare is in which no life was lost. It doesn't breed animosity. You're uncomfortable because I spoke about your people's brutish past but I'm not looking at the past now. What are your people known for today?

1 Like

Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by secretaryabdul(m): 9:19pm On May 19, 2015
Yujin:

If you believe my brain has been whitewashed then I've nothing to say to you. The history of the Hausas has its own share of battles but it wasn't with wanton destruction like those of the Fulanis. I once came across a fulani man's diary where he recorded their raids of peaceful communities with the number of prisoners they took and all that. The descriptions were quite gory. I don't celebrate people who conquered others by force of arms but I respect those who govern others by superior reasoning and strategy. My mentor taught me that the best form of victory in warfare is in which no life was lost. It doesn't breed animosity. You're uncomfortable because I spoke about your people's brutish past but I'm not looking at the past now. What are your people known for today?
For your info, i am Hausa+Fulani+Kanuri all in one, but speaks only Hausa & therefore refered to myself as only Hausa, not Hausa/Fulani. What pains me { and most Hausas} most, is to see people that ve never been close 2 Lokoja and yet speaks bad of the Hausas. The Hausas re hospitable, peaceloving & caring people, u will only know that when u re in their midst. The actions of some few northern feudals, greedy politicians should not be the yardstick for condeming an entire ethnic group.

2 Likes

Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by Nowenuse: 3:12pm On May 21, 2015
Fulaman198:

Completely untrue

If you know anything about colonial French African countries, they are far less closer to the French than Anglophone African countries are close to the English.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the French as Gambia and Sierra Leone aren't French speaking countries.

The French are notorious for not allowing French education run rampant in Africa. They did everything to keep their colonies backward.

Go n make ur research sir
But since u doubt me, okay can u tell me what brought about the difference between Nigerian fulanis and other west african fulanis in terms of islamic fanatism?

All i can tell u is that Nigerian fulanis are products of Jihad (islamic war).
Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by Yujin(m): 1:19pm On May 26, 2015
secretaryabdul:

For your info, i am Hausa+Fulani+Kanuri all in one, but speaks only Hausa & therefore refered to myself as only Hausa, not Hausa/Fulani. What pains me { and most Hausas} most, is to see people that ve never been close 2 Lokoja and yet speaks bad of the Hausas. The Hausas re hospitable, peaceloving & caring people, u will only know that when u re in their midst. The actions of some few northern feudals, greedy politicians should not be the yardstick for condeming an entire ethnic group.
Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by Yujin(m): 1:25pm On May 26, 2015
secretaryabdul:

Re read my comments from start again and know my views about the Hausas. And for your information I spent two decades of my life around the Hausas in the north. My analysis are borne out of concern for humanity and they are fair.
Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by laudate: 10:08pm On Nov 28, 2015
Interesting thread! cheesy
Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by Fulaman198(m): 4:57am On Nov 29, 2015
laudate:
Interesting thread! cheesy

Yes, but an old thread cheesy wink
Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by laudate: 8:42pm On Nov 29, 2015
Fulaman198:

Yes, but an old thread cheesy wink

Yeah...but the info is still quite relevant and very educative. undecided
Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by Lilyomi(f): 12:11am On Nov 30, 2015
AnanseK:

Agreed , your moniker says so.
Ur monicker tho. R u a ghanaian.
Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by loshybab(m): 12:42am On Aug 17, 2016
Hehehehehehe! Which 1 of these do I speak now? grin .

I guess it's LOSHYBABCI.....oya OP,add am sharp sharpcheesy
Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by urahara(m): 7:08am On Mar 19, 2018
Nowenuse:

Well i really am limited in the area of hausa rescources n materials for learning.
Sorry but really i dont believe much in learning of a language through media but learning by living in the midst of the speakers of the language, especially for Nigerian/african languages.

Secretary abdul was right. Kano hausa dialect is the central dialect. If u learn it u can communicate with any other hausa speaker, but as a second language hausa speaker i suggest u learn hausa first from the 2nd language speakers because ours is just very extremely easy and simple.
So after learning from 2nd language speakers, u can graduate to learning to speak like the native hausa speakers.
So i suggest u try to learn hausa from people from Jos/Plateau areas, Taraba, Nasarawa, Niger, Abuja , Kaduna e.t.c. The kind of hausa we speak is very very simple, slow and easy to get.

sir , in your opinion , how long does it take to learn hausa perfectly fluently from the scratch ?

im planning on doing my nysc in a core northern state in other to learn to fluency
Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by Nobody: 10:09am On Mar 19, 2018
secretaryabdul:
Hausa has the largest native & non-native speakers in Africa. The simpilcity of the language and also the hospitality of Hausa people made the language & cultures appealing to its neighbours. Hausa language and way of life has conquered many and the trend will continue not by force but by God's will, by now Hausa language is spoken whether as 1st or 2nd language by at least 75% of northers. (haters of hausas should go and end ur miserable lyf in a lagoon).
Hause has native speakers in 11 African countries as well as in the middle east. (how many countries is ur native language spoken in? Ethnic bigot?) Hausa has a written history dating back to at least 700yrs. What about ur language looser? No single book was written in ur language 250yrs ago. If there was, then prove it.
Hausa people are well known merchants through out history, that is why they ve established trading camps referred to as Zongos, now a flourishing comunity found all over west and north Africa. Where was ur comunity then? Perhabs in the jungle wrestling with ur family members, the Chimpanzees. Banzaye aladu.

Baka da mutunci wallahi. Me yayi zafi haka? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by Nobody: 10:14am On Mar 19, 2018
AnanseK:

I agree with you that Hausa people are not different from the tribes surrounding them. In fact they are the same stock and same people. But classifying Fulanis as " belligerent and their religion retrogressive" is your misguided opinion, not entirely your fault if I may add.

Going back to the suffix " anci" is I think grammatical disambiguation present in the Hausa language. Although the words are nouns but more specific than in English usage. In English a Frenchman speaks French and a Yoruba man speaks Yoruba. In Hausa a Frenchman ( bafaranshe) speaks Faransanci and the Yorubaman (Bayorube) speaks yorubanci . You can see the disambiguation in these two examples. In Hausa the language is differentiated from the citizenship or nationality. It is some times applied to behavior or attitude as in Dan Iska ( hooligan ) who displays iskanci ( hooliganism). The two words hooligan and hooliganism are both nouns but you can clearly see the disambiguation in this particular case. I hope this is helpful.

Not very different yes. But saying the same stock of people means you're ignorant of the diversity of Nigeria and Africa. Hausa is an ethnicity, separate from kanuri, or bade or any other ethnicity. Even amongst the hausas, separate ethnicities exist.
Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by Nobody: 10:20am On Mar 19, 2018
Yujin:

The issue is not about who educated Dan Fodio but about who introduced the violent form of Islam into Hausaland. Even before the days of Queen Amina of the Zazzau kingdom Hausas have been Muslims but they were still not usurpers of their neighbours lands. However the emergence of Dan Fodio brought death and destruction to many tribes and lands in the north. The Adamas of Yola, the Buba Yeros of Gombe the Yusufs of Bauchi were fulanis who destroyed the real owners of those lands. Heck even the Kanuris had their original capital Ngazargamu destroyed because of fulanis' pugnacious disposition.

Ironic you speak of non violence and queen Amina in the same sentence. She was one of the most belligerent women who ever lived. Hausa states have always been violent with or without religion. Even in terms of religion you should know the first person to fight an Islamic jihad in hausaland was a Hausa king, Ali yaji Dan tsamiya. Violence whether under the fulas or not is pretty much the same old violence that has always existed. Only difference is under them hausas rarely fight amongst each other.

1 Like

Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by EazyMoh(m): 1:03pm On Mar 19, 2018
MitrikDenholm:

Ironic you speak of non violence and queen Amina in the same sentence. She was one of the most belligerent women who ever lived. Hausa states have always been violent with or without religion. Even in terms of religion you should know the first person to fight an Islamic jihad in hausaland was a Hausa king, Ali yaji Dan tsamiya. Violence whether under the fulas or not is pretty much the same old violence that has always existed. Only difference is under them hausas rarely fight amongst each other.
Don't mind them.
They have already made up their minds to view Fulanis as the cause of all their misfortune. That is the trademark of all these northern minorities, the OP inclusive.
Their first argument was that Hausa people were peaceful until DanFodio brought Islam to them. Then it was pointed out to them that majority of Hausa people have been Muslims for over 1000 years before coming of DanFodio.
Then they claimed he brought "violent and intolerant" form of Islam that the Hausa people were initial liberal Muslims. This fallacy was destroyed by the fact that all the different Hausa kingdoms were in a state of constant warfare and enslaving each other. Kano Vs Daura, Hadejia Vs Katsina, Bauchi Vs Ningi Zazzau Vs Kano etc. .... Again other places in West Africa where Fulani brought Islam have always been living peacefully.
Then the narrative changed that it has to do with French colonialists suppressing and limiting the practice of Fulani version of Islam, that the brits gave them independence. Again many anglophone countries are mentioned by Fulaman as example then silence follows....
I wonder how desperately this people want Hausa people to view Fulanis in bad light. Dan Fodios Jihad is the best thing that ever happened to Hausaland, we the hausa people understand it, acknowledge it and are proud of it.
If you are not happy about it please do the needful. Period!
Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by Nobody: 1:14pm On Mar 19, 2018
EazyMoh:

Don't mind them.
They have already made up their minds to view Fulanis as the cause of all their misfortune. That is the trademark of all these northern minorities, the OP inclusive.
Their first argument was that Hausa people were peaceful until DanFodio brought Islam to them. Then it was pointed out to them that majority of Hausa people have been Muslims for over 1000 years before coming of DanFodio.
Then they claimed he brought "violent and intolerant" form of Islam that the Hausa people were initial liberal Muslims. This fallacy was destroyed by the fact that all the different Hausa kingdoms were in a state of constant warfare and enslaving each other. Kano Vs Daura, Hadejia Vs Katsina, Bauchi Vs Ningi Zazzau Vs Kano etc. .... Again other places in West Africa where Fulani brought Islam have always been living peacefully.
Then the narrative changed that it has to do with French colonialists suppressing and limiting the practice of Fulani version of Islam, that the brits gave them independence. Again many anglophone countries are mentioned by Fulaman as example then silence follows....
I wonder how desperately this people want Hausa people to view Fulanis in bad light. Dan Fodios Jihad is the best thing that ever happened to Hausaland, we the hausa people understand it, acknowledge it and are proud of it.
If you are not happy about it please do the needful. Period!

LOL, Exactly. Glad you have also noticed this trend amongst these northern minorities (Not the op inclusive but the op especially). The funny thing is they themselves were as violent as their reach allowed them to be, the kwararafa a middle beltan society was known to attack states around them, i wonder if that was fodios fault as well. I didnt understand it before but i i do now, its just some form of inferiority complex. Like you said if they not happy about it they should do the needful.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by AnanseK(m): 3:38pm On Mar 19, 2018
MitrikDenholm:

Not very different yes. But saying the same stock of people means you're ignorant of the diversity of Nigeria and Africa. Hausa is an ethnicity, separate from kanuri, or bade or any other ethnicity. Even amongst the hausas, separate ethnicities exist.

This thread which I have almost forgotten about was in May 2015, that’s about 3 years ago. You still have no grasp of what was being discussed. I will advise you to return in another 3 years when you are older and perhaps wiser. We can then discuss human geography and the evolution of human societies with special reference to Africa and Hausaland. Race, ethnicity and culture all inclusive in sha Allah.
Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by Nobody: 3:57pm On Mar 19, 2018
AnanseK:

This thread which I have almost forgotten about was in May 2015, that’s about 3 years ago. You still have no grasp of what was being discussed. I will advise you to return in another 3 years when you are older and perhaps wiser. We can then discuss human geography and the evolution of human societies with special reference to Africa and Hausaland. Race, ethnicity and culture all inclusive in sha Allah.

You can derail or be condescending all you want but you made a very ignorant statement i felt was necessary to correct and so i did because whether its 3 years old or 10 years old it was on the first page and will live on for others to see. Hence the need to call out falsities. There is nothing here to discuss because that statement is completely wrong. Oh and stop trying to tell me about my own people or history or geography, i know a fraud when i see it and you and your mates have been saying a lot of dumb things all over this thread.

1 Like

Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by urahara(m): 11:17am On Mar 20, 2018
urahara:

sir , in your opinion , how long does it take to learn hausa perfectly fluently from the scratch ?

im planning on doing my nysc in a core northern state in other to learn to fluency

I asked this question amd I'm still yet to get a reply.

Ya kamata wani ya amsa mini cry cry
Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by JikanBaura(m): 11:40am On Mar 20, 2018
MitrikDenholm:

You can derail or be condescending all you want but you made a very ignorant statement i felt was necessary to correct and so i did because whether its 3 years old or 10 years old it was on the first page and will live on for others to see. Hence the need to call out falsities. There is nothing here to discuss because that statement is completely wrong. Oh and stop trying to tell me about my own people or history or geography, i know a fraud when i see it and you and your mates have been saying a lot of dumb things all over this thread.

Dude continue with what you are doing, every wrong and false statement made about Hausa when you came across it, distorted it when it's when necessary whether it's a 3 years old or 10 years old topic. I'm new to this forum and having came across some thread about hausa alots of people have been passing misconceptions, misinforming people about everything Hausa and they got away with it due their are probably little hausa to expose their wrong information.

People from different countries and continent visit this site and alots of them have been taking lies made intentionally and those made out of ignorance as information that's is fact.

That guy is probably amongs many clueless people , with Little or zero knowledge us about but act smartass passing wrong information about Hausa and north. Hence he don't want his lies to be uncover ..maciya amana.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi Described As Re-incarnate Of Oduduwa (photos) / Olori Badirat Olaitan Adeyemi's Twins (Alaafin Of Oyo's Twins) / Igbo Masquerade Preaches The Gospel Of Jesus Christ On The Street (Photo, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.