Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,454 members, 7,781,310 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:14 PM

10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades (38241 Views)

2.2 And Lower Class Graduates.. How Much Of Job Offers Do They Hit? / Why Do 2.2 Graduates Smartly Omit Their Grades On Their Cvs / YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by spencekat(m): 6:37pm On May 13, 2015
It is good to get a good result.Come to think of it some big organizations close doors against graduates with 2.2 and below,but the truth is that some of these graduates have better IQs than their 2.1 counterparts.Well,the reality is that some of the 2.2 and below graduates have well paying jobs than the First class and 2.1 graduates.Well,it is all about God's grace.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by PROCTOR: 6:43pm On May 13, 2015
juniormusa:
Guys vote for Tohpahz as miss nairaland!
is this a deliberate sabotage?
This is against the rules fa
Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by chimoskyg(m): 6:44pm On May 13, 2015
Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by okonja(m): 6:44pm On May 13, 2015
Don't seat down and expect job to come to you, go around and let people know what you can do. More importantly, Just know what you are doing and pray for the grace of God.

That's all....No Certificate yet, and 7 figures account is 90% loading, no be my power, am just blessed... B-)
Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by Etizz: 6:47pm On May 13, 2015
RickRichards:
Don't stress it. I'm a 2.1 graduate, but I've not touched my certificate in years. There are opportunities for everyone. Just be prepared.

Reasonable person.........

1 Like

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by kolaaderin: 6:50pm On May 13, 2015
JumiaConsult:
very useful tips... thanks

Its hell getting innjoo I1s battery from Jumia, what are u guys doing for the numerous innjoo fans stocked with bad batteries and could'nt
get a replacement. angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by donmanuel1: 6:55pm On May 13, 2015
Person study masscomm or history come out with 2.1 and u compare am wit person wey study maths, statistics or engineering courses wey come out wit 2.2 n u knw weda the 2.2 na 3.49. U knw sabotage wey full skool wey want make of of una fail. U never hear of course in a particular skool wey never produce 2.1 in years or at most one or two, so all others na dullard.
Sorry for naija for dis myopic reasoning
I am a proud statistician wit 2.2 and I knw wat I suffered to get it

11 Likes

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by Bsc(m): 6:57pm On May 13, 2015
U layed emphasis on 2.2 as if its the most lowest grade... 85percent of jobs advertised seek lowest qualification of 2.2.. 10percent seek 2.1 and 5 percent give room for 3rd class. 1st class what is holdiNg u from becoming the world richest man or knowledgeable man..... Bsides in science 1+1 is 2 any where in the world...in ART, if u try to discuss a topic to the best of ur knowledge, A. Lecture 1 can score u A, lecturer 2 with the same answer can score u E. Not so in science..get d formula and ur good to go.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by johnemeka(m): 6:59pm On May 13, 2015
Thank you!
Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by adonismuller(m): 7:03pm On May 13, 2015
Well, my advice to people from low background that has no connection, try your best to make good grades in school (2.1 in university or Upper credit in poly) because that is a first step!

Imagine when you graduate and don't have connection for job and you still have low grade and no money to get new skill,go for masters or start business? Even if you have the skill,your CV is the first advertisement of you,so your employer will definitely judge you first by your CV before giving you the chance to show your skill! Nobody will just see you and start testing your skill ignoring your grades!!!!

Like I said If you are not from a rich background where connection are waiting for you,the only leverage you have is your result...please try and get good grades first then adding skills to it will be an added advantage for you!

Thank you

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by Lekewatt(m): 7:03pm On May 13, 2015
Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by adonismuller(m): 7:04pm On May 13, 2015
donmanuel1:
Person study masscomm or history come out with 2.1 and u compare am wit person wey study maths, statistics or engineering courses wey come out wit 2.2 n u knw weda the 2.2 na 3.49. U knw sabotage wey full skool wey want make of of una fail. U never hear of course in a particular skool wey never produce 2.1 in years or at most one or two, so all others na dullard.
Are there no 2.1 or 1st class in statistics?

5 Likes

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by Tunagee(m): 7:05pm On May 13, 2015
marshborn:

source: http://www.jraushub.com/10-tips-for-graduates-with-2-2-and-lower-grades/

Guy leave all that story. I can count several of my friends who had 2.2, even HND who are now Managers and Senior managers in multinational firms. Leave that story abeg!

2 Likes

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by dabossman(m): 7:09pm On May 13, 2015
This article is smack on the money.

I graduated with a 3rd class due to some issues with my course adviser and a bit of disillusion with the entire system, although that is a story for another day. Anyway, getting a job afte NYSC became an issue. Even when a few people tried to help, it was always a case of "oh, if only you had a 2.1 or at least a 2.2 we could help". But one thing I told myself was never to let that define who I am. I knew I wasn't a dullard. My grades in my final 3 semesters attested to the fact that I could have done better. So, what I did was turn to my passion.

I got a low paying job doing something I was very good at and for which my degree and grade was not a factor and used it as a springboard to gain some work experience. While on the job I took a couple of professional course. While on the course I met with a number of people, one of which led to my next job and more work experience there led to another job, alway with rising pay and better opportunities. That's networking.

It's been some 14 years since I graduated and I thank God for where I am today which is a directorial level. I will of course say that it was by grace. The way things worked out sometimes were just divine.

Most importantly, never feel inferior and never give up.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by djjosh(m): 7:10pm On May 13, 2015
donmanuel1:
MENH..NYC COMMENT. ...IM STI SCHLIN..300L. STUDYIN ECONS IN BSU. ON 2.2;3POINT 2.2 THO. NA GOD I D LUK UP TO. SERIOSLI DR AR SOPOS TO CONSIDER COURSE OF STUDY.
Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by adonismuller(m): 7:10pm On May 13, 2015
Tunagee:

Guy leave all that story. I can count several of my friends who had 2.2, even HND who are now Managers and Senior managers in multinational firms. Leave that story abeg!
this is why people fail....did he say people with 2.2 don't succeed? Do you know if the said people that are managers used the tips he gave?

He is just giving you tips to have an edge! Stop vetting your anger on what you don't fathom!!

1 Like

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by kepal99(m): 7:14pm On May 13, 2015
Need a mentor ooooooo. Anyone out there to help
Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by sunnyblaz: 7:15pm On May 13, 2015
I have a 3rd class but that did not in any way stop me.currently working when people are crying they is no job.

1 Like

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by Nobody: 7:15pm On May 13, 2015
Tony Elumelu and Gani Fawehinmi comes to mind. I finished with a 3rd but I have a very bright future. If you laugh me, you dey laugh my God.

1 Like

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by amanze15(m): 7:20pm On May 13, 2015
In reminisce voice "Gpa o jawo mo".... a lot have changed, even with 2.2 u can become a reputable professor, a technocrat, a neurosurgeon forget dose crap about first class 2:1 or 2:2, a lot of indians and americans with associate degree come to this country and spring up larte firms that employ the best minds abi first class and 2:1......the world hasnt stopped since then grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by tanimola22: 7:20pm On May 13, 2015
Bsc:
U layed emphasis on 2.2 as if its the most lowest grade... 85percent of jobs advertised seek lowest qualification of 2.2.. 10percent seek 2.1 and 5 percent give room for 3rd class. 1st class what is holdiNg u from becoming the world richest man or knowledgeable man..... Bsides in science 1+1 is 2 any where in the world...in ART, if u try to discuss a topic to the best of ur knowledge, A. Lecture 1 can score u A, lecturer 2 with the same answer can score u E. Not so in science..get d formula and ur good to go.

No, not all science is closed-formula based.
Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by Kossyne(m): 7:23pm On May 13, 2015
9c job @ op..I hope these will help graduates who were not fortunate enough to make a 2.1 or a first due to one reason or the other. I believe these tips apply to everyone both undergrads (cos its never too early to start) and grads( irrespective of ur class of degree).....don't rest on ur oars and don't get too comfortable anywhere u find urself. Continuous self development is the key. Don t have a sense of entitlement cos nobody will give u a job cos u are a graduate.

Finally for undergrads don't be deceived by comments like " I have a 2 friends , one graduated with a first and the other one , a pass, but guess what.. the guy that graduated with a pass is now a manager of a multinational coy and the first class guy is selling chin-chin in oshodi"....or ".....after all Bill Gates is a drop out"........ Circumstances are different, so try to be the best anywhere u find urself.....

For the grads don't lose hope..mind the kind of company u keep..some friends are dream killers. They have no dreams and aspiration and they want to drag the ones that do down...

4 Likes

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by tanimola22: 7:25pm On May 13, 2015
amanze15:
I[b]n reminisce voice "Gpa o jawo mo".... a lot have changed, even with 2.2 u can become a reputable professor, a technocrat, a neurosurgeon f[/b]orget dose crap about first class 2:1 or 2:2, a lot of indians and americans with associate degree come to this country and spring up larte firms that employ the best minds abi first class and 2:1......the world hasnt stopped since then grin

I agree with you. One of the good professors that taught me in Lag, I heard he made 3rd in his first degree..That didn't stop him from moving ahead with his plans. Today, he is one of the most published, most productive researchers in his department. I don't want to name this department.
Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by ganasy: 7:27pm On May 13, 2015
I graduated with a quite strong 2.2 (Architecture) and most places I have worked and applied to didnt ask for what I graduated with but my portfolio. I think there are courses that nobody looks at what you graduated with but what you can really do.

1 Like

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by juniormusa(m): 7:31pm On May 13, 2015
PROCTOR:

is this a deliberate sabotage?
This is against the rules fa
I don't care if I get banned wink
Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by OtunbaChibok(m): 7:34pm On May 13, 2015
Today,I have 6 years working experience, I have changed jobs twice withing this period and currently working in one of the top telecom vendor n Nigeria with a very good take home. I never had 2.2 or 2.1,I started small,learn and grew to what I am today............still growing still.
There are 2.1 graduates in my dept that I earn far more than them,fresh graduates regardless of their school "paper" or certificate should learn to start small. The ladder to the top is is filled,only skilled people get there.
Pride is the greatest mistake graduates makes these days,nothing is small in terms of money as long as u r getting neccessary experience on the job.
2.1/First class is overated,work hard,believe in yourself.start small believe in God and dream big.
Did I tell you that my dept team lead is an HND holder?The only HND holder in the whole department for God's sake. Ask for Grace of God too.
Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by chukkystar(m): 7:35pm On May 13, 2015
D thread is nice but no longer applicable to Naija.. 2 1 and 2 2, no work... Unemployment is high... Better go and empower yourself with small biz so U can b d employer

2 Likes

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by Darevofpeace(m): 7:37pm On May 13, 2015
As much as i really appreciate your wonderful tips, it was this over emphasis of the so called 1st class and 2.1 that caused so many frustration of graduates in Nigeria. The day you realise what you possess in you,no grade can undermine it,then that is the day you enter your land of total freedom.Anyway nice article.

1 Like

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by tanimola22: 7:38pm On May 13, 2015
Tunagee:

That's true. In fact, a nairalander was once managed by someone, the MD of his department, who does not have a degree but very sound at what he does..The MD is in her/his early 40's and earns close to 20 million Naira...There are one in a thousand examples like this. However, they're an exception, not the rule.

Anyone who has the privilege of getting a university education should try and earn a good grade, unless if they genuinely cannot...

1 Like

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by tanimola22: 7:39pm On May 13, 2015
ganasy:
I graduated with a quite strong 2.2 (Architecture) and most places I have worked and applied to didnt ask for what I graduated with but my portfolio. I think there are courses that nobody looks at what you graduated with but what you can really do.

How can you compare a very practical and let's-see-your-work course like Archi to the resular course out there? That is strange.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is A 130k Job Including Tithing Be Considered A Good Job? / Was Successful In The Owerri Diamond Bank Aptitude Test. / Police Recruitment 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.