Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,821 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:10 AM

10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades (38299 Views)

2.2 And Lower Class Graduates.. How Much Of Job Offers Do They Hit? / Why Do 2.2 Graduates Smartly Omit Their Grades On Their Cvs / YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by tanimola22: 7:43pm On May 13, 2015
OtunbaChibok:
Today,I have 6 years working experience, I have changed jobs twice withing this period and currently working in one of the top telecom vendor n Nigeria with a very good take home. I never had 2.2 or 2.1,I started small,learn and grew to what I am today............still growing still.
There are 2.1 graduates in my dept that I earn far more than them,fresh graduates regardless of their school "paper" or certificate should learn to start small. The ladder to the top is is filled,only skilled people get there.
Pride is the greatest mistake graduates makes these days,nothing is small in terms of money as long as u r getting neccessary experience on the job.
2.1/First class is overated,work hard,believe in yourself.start small believe in God and dream big.
Did I tell you that my dept team lead is an HND holder?The only HND holder in the whole department for God's sake. Ask for Grace of God too.

I was in total agreement with you until I read the highlighted. Are you really kidding me? Wow, see generalization.. Is hard work not a necessary condition for top grades? The first class and some 2:1 I know, they're super excellent and can compete anywhere with anybody. Anyway sha, everyone is entitled to his opinion which must ideally be respected.

That said, I congratulate you and others who got to respectable positions despite some paper-related drawbacks. It's not easy.

1 Like

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by fzero: 7:45pm On May 13, 2015
Tunagee:

Guy leave all that story. I can count several of my friends who had 2.2, even HND who are now Managers and Senior managers in multinational firms. Leave that story abeg!
you dey mind them, this is the sole reason Nigeria is still where it is today, we acquire no entrepreneurship skill whatsoever only looking for 2.1 and first class. I graduated with 2.1 but had to learn a skill which I am using now. My certificate is rusting under my bed.
Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by fzero: 7:47pm On May 13, 2015
tanimola22:

I was in total agreement with you until I read the highlighted. Are you really kidding me. Anyway, everyone is entitled to his opinion which must ideally be respected.

That said, I congratulate you and others who got to the respectable positions despite some paper-related drawbacks. It's not easy.

But the guy is saying the truth, 2.1 2.2 is far overrated.
Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by Donpizzle(m): 7:48pm On May 13, 2015
Bennyzino:
Truly said bro.

I thank God that the 2.1 or 1st class only trend is going on the verge of extinction.

Now top companies are requesting for minimum of second class lower.

Here's a little story...

A top tier company needed just one employee for an IT position and 2 candidates pulled through to the last stage of the interview.. One of them had a first class and the other had a 2.2...

The HR told the 2.2 guy to step out for a minute while the 1st class guy was been interviewed. She took his attention to a calendar on the wall and asked him what he could make out from it.. He said he saw days and numbers then same question was thrown to the 2.2 guy and he said he could see time, he could see processes and he could see values exchanged for money.

Guess who got the job
forget

nigga, forget dis crap. This are false story to encourage lower class grads. I dnt put much emphasis on grades koz I knw 2.1 or 1st class is nt a guarantee of success buh as for dat poo story, forget it.u probably heard dat frm a seminar or stuff lyk dat.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by tanimola22: 7:48pm On May 13, 2015
fzero:

you dey mind them, this is the sole reason Nigeria is still where it is today, we acquire no entrepreneurship skill whatsoever only looking for 2.1 and first class. I graduated with 2.1 but had to learn a skill which I am using now. My certificate is rusting under my bed.

I disagree with you. The growth of entrepreneurs in Nigeria these days was never experienced in the past in the same magnitude.

Having said that, its true 2:1 does not necessarily give you important skills.
Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by messiedidylakes(f): 7:48pm On May 13, 2015
lipsrsealed

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by Nobody: 7:54pm On May 13, 2015
marshborn:

source: http://www.jarushub.com/10-tips-for-graduates-with-2-2-and-lower-grades/

All what you've said is reasonable but Engineering students graduating with 2:2 know its a good grade. Especially in a government owned university in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by fzero: 7:56pm On May 13, 2015
tanimola22:

I disagree with you. The growth of entrepreneurs in Nigeria these days was never experience in the past in the same magnitude.

How many of our graduates this days are willing to learn a skill, except for the ones that didn't see the four walls of a school. We are experiencing nothing my bro, except for our lazy graduates who only think of after graduating the next port of call is to work for a non existing oil company.
Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by tanimola22: 7:56pm On May 13, 2015
For me, I prefer the following combination - God's support/grace, top grades and great career-enhancing skills.
Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by Nobody: 7:59pm On May 13, 2015
Tunagee:

Guy leave all that story. I can count several of my friends who had 2.2, even HND who are now Managers and Senior managers in multinational firms. Leave that story abeg!

Check well. You will see they followed at least one of the tips shared by the writer.
Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by donphilopus: 8:02pm On May 13, 2015
donmanuel1:
Person study masscomm or history come out with 2.1 and u compare am wit person wey study maths, statistics or engineering courses wey come out wit 2.2 n u knw weda the 2.2 na 3.49. U knw sabotage wey full skool wey want make of of una fail. U never hear of course in a particular skool wey never produce 2.1 in years or at most one or two, so all others na dullard.
Sorry for naija for dis myopic reasoning
I am a proud statistician wit 2.2 and I knw wat I suffered to get it

Are you a product of Ekp (AAU)?!

1 Like

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by onyekachee(f): 8:04pm On May 13, 2015
ziqqz:
Hm. 2.2 and Lower? That's bottom of the employment food chain na
It may be wiser to just go back to school and try again
If you fail and get another 2.2 or lower, combine it with the first one
That should add up quite nicely grin
seriously them go check you,funny dude
Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by Nobody: 8:08pm On May 13, 2015
donmanuel1:
Person study masscomm or history come out with 2.1 and u compare am wit person wey study maths, statistics or engineering courses wey come out wit 2.2 n u knw weda the 2.2 na 3.49. U knw sabotage wey full skool wey want make of of una fail. U never hear of course in a particular skool wey never produce 2.1 in years or at most one or two, so all others na dullard.
I am a proud statistician wit 2.2 and I knw wat I suffered to get it

Your logic is faulty my dear. You have to have the "think-it-make-it" thinking. If others have gotten FIRST class in Statistics, nothing stops you from getting it. If you dont get in your undergraduate, nothing stops you from getting a Distinction in your Masters. So you have to let go of that inferior thinking. Secondly, dont EVER EVER think that science graduates are better in any way than arts graduates. The things they do in the so called Mass Communication or History, you may NEVER be able to scale through them. Just because you understand formulae, equations and the like or because you can cram very well doesnt mean you can beat an art student. So I beg you, dont embarrass yourself with that myopic thinking again. No department is harder than other and EVERY discipline has its own quota to contribute in human society. What matters most is the calibre of people studying the course and what they can achieve. I am a HIGH ACHIEVER! NO ONE IS BETTER THAN ME! I believe so and I live so. I suggest you do the same.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by temitope28(m): 8:10pm On May 13, 2015
Honestly 2.1 is superb although I graduated wt a 2.2 but during my nysc I did a couple of professional courses like project management and HSSE. Although v not bn able to secure a good job apart from working in a secondary school,the little am earning there coupled wt private lessons is wat v bn using to run my masters degree though its bn rough bt God hz bn faithful.
For those of you that r still in school please strive hard to v a 2;1 nd for those in NYSC wt lower grades go for certifications.and finally don't forget to pray more.

1 Like

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by Nobody: 8:21pm On May 13, 2015
messiedidylakes:
Well it all depends on mindset and Gods grace. I graduated with a third class and to get a job wasn't easy cry but I was optimistic anyways....

I served in Rivers State (2011/2012) stayed over a year without a good job other than 8k &20k teaching job I had.... Fast-forward to March 2014 I moved down to Lagos, got a job as a factory operative in a distillery company with 35k pay by may took advantage of the situation and applied to work as a QC assistant without pay.

They accepted but were kind enough to still pay me 35k after two months of experience I got a job offer of45k cause i was seriously putting out lots of applications..... Just after few months on the job I recently got another offer with a multinational firm with a salary over 100k.....

Just within 12 months I've done three jobs, I love my current job and not planning to leave in the next 5years. Self improvement, confident and Gods grace is all we need.

In my second job I was opportune to be in a panel of interview and i was amazed with how "empty" the so called some of the 2.1 graduate candidate were.... I mean no offence some people don't just prepare for an interview

For someone who faults 1.1 and 2.1 products, your ENGLISH is very faulty(boldened quote). However, I mean no offence, maybe you weren't prepared for this writeup.

On a more serious note though, I admire your zeal and perseverance. It is not everyone that can possess such. However, no matter what you have written, IT IS NOT GOOD FOR UNDERGRADUATES TO MAKE A THIRD CLASS! In fact, it is an arrant non-sense and if it lacks a believable explanation, it implies a lack of seriousness, apathy, creativity and productivity. A 2.2 is an average result and I commend it as such although every one can do better. Even a 2.1 is not a perfect result. It can be bettered. So, my social neighbour, keep up the faith and avoid the fallacy of hasty generalizations concerning 2.1 and 1.1 graduates!

1 Like

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by adonismuller(m): 8:22pm On May 13, 2015
tanimola22:

I was in total agreement with you until I read the highlighted. Are you really kidding me? Wow, see generalization.. Is hard work not a necessary condition for top grades? The first class and some 2:1 I know, they're super excellent and can compete anywhere with anybody. Anyway sha, everyone is entitled to his opinion which must ideally be respected.

That said, I congratulate you and others who got to respectable positions despite some paper-related drawbacks. It's not easy.
they navigated from what the OP was talking about and started giving testimony on how they used 3rd class to become MD. Op is giving tips on how to attain great heights for those with low grades and they started telling us that 1st class and 2.1 is no longer necessary! I wonder what people just gaining admission will feel if they visit this tread...I gues dey will just settle in Pass!

2 Likes

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by Donpizzle(m): 8:23pm On May 13, 2015
Sacluxpaint:
Tony Elumelu and Gani Fawehinmi comes to mind. I finished with a 3rd but I have a very bright future. If you laugh me, you dey laugh my God.

thats d bliv....d ability to feel superior in inferior circumstances is d beginin of success. Let ur future star shine...

1 Like

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by adonismuller(m): 8:28pm On May 13, 2015
messiedidylakes:
Well it all depends on mindset and Gods grace. I graduated with a third class and to get a job wasn't easy cry but I was optimistic anyways....

I served in Rivers State (2011/2012) stayed over a year without a good job other than 8k &20k teaching job I had.... Fast-forward to March 2014 I moved down to Lagos, got a job as a factory operative in a distillery company with 35k pay by may took advantage of the situation and applied to work as a QC assistant without pay.

They accepted but were kind enough to still pay me 35k after two months of experience I got a job offer of45k cause i was seriously putting out lots of applications..... Just after few months on the job I recently got another offer with a multinational firm with a salary over 100k.....

Just within 12 months I've done three jobs, I love my current job and not planning to leave in the next 5years. Self improvement, confident and Gods grace is all we need.

In my second job I was opportune to be in a panel of interview and i was amazed with how "empty" the so called some of the 2.1 graduate candidate were.... I mean no offence some people don't just prepare for an interview
In summary you are encouraging people to go to school and get 3rd class because 2.1 nd 1st class don't mean anything?

1 Like

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by Nobody: 8:31pm On May 13, 2015
Am also a statistician futa. It isn't easy my brother. Am sure those people talking never passed through the same path, so I don't blame them. post=33706766]Person study masscomm or history come out with 2.1 and u compare am wit person wey study maths, statistics or engineering courses wey come out wit 2.2 n u knw weda the 2.2 na 3.49. U knw sabotage wey full skool wey want make of of una fail. U never hear of course in a particular skool wey never produce 2.1 in years or at most one or two, so all others na dullard.
I am a proud statistician wit 2.2 and I knw wat I suffered to get it [/quote]
Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by islandmoon: 8:38pm On May 13, 2015
https://www.nairaland.com/2310652/question-day
Pls help us to clearify the answer to this
Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by Nobody: 8:40pm On May 13, 2015
Donpizzle:
forget

nigga, forget dis crap. This are false story to encourage lower class grads. I dnt put much emphasis on grades koz I knw 2.1 or 1st class is nt a guarantee of success buh as for dat poo story, forget it.u probably heard dat frm a seminar or stuff lyk dat.

I keep saying this.. Every one is entitled to their own opinion
Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by surveycash(m): 8:49pm On May 13, 2015
Bennyzino:
Truly said bro.

I thank God that the 2.1 or 1st class only trend is going on the verge of extinction.

Now top companies are requesting for minimum of second class lower.

Here's a little story...

A top tier company needed just one employee for an IT position and 2 candidates pulled through to the last stage of the interview.. One of them had a first class and the other had a 2.2...

The HR told the 2.2 guy to step out for a minute while the 1st class guy was been interviewed. She took his attention to a calendar on the wall and asked him what he could make out from it.. He said he saw days and numbers then same question was thrown to the 2.2 guy and he said he could see time, he could see processes and he could see values exchanged for money.

Guess who got the job

Majority of the first classers are Crammie du pour[i][/i] while the 2nd classers are applicants of the principles learnt
Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by Donpizzle(m): 9:00pm On May 13, 2015
messiedidylakes:

talkin bout 'EMPTY' 2.1 grads.. U shuld knw dat jst as jesus had a judas amongst his disciple so does 2.1 degree has sme betrayals also. Buh nvr evr generalise 2.1 grads as bein EMPTY koz we wrkd extremely hard to earn it nd we hv got d ability to defend it.tke note..

1 Like

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by Nobody: 9:06pm On May 13, 2015
Wole Soyinka was a 3rd class holder in his first Degree.. But he went on to get a first class abroad

Grades is not a measure of intelligence.

And this is a fact any day.

Limiting recruitments to only 1st class is equivalent to limiting oneself from a whole world of talents and ideas.

Am envisioning a time when the requirements for application will be any class of degree . And mind you the difference between 2.1 and 2.2 is just 0.1.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by Donpizzle(m): 9:11pm On May 13, 2015
Bennyzino:
Wole Soyinka was a 3rd class holder in his first Degree.. But he went on to get a first class abroad

Limiting recruitments to only 1st class is equivalent to limiting oneself from a whole world of talents and ideas.

Am envisioning a time when the requirements for application will be any class of degree . And mind you the difference between 2.1 and 2.2 is just 0.1.

wole soyinka na 2.1 and nt 2.2 graduate.. D guy jst talk am wit hin mouth recently.u nvr hear am... Mke una stop dis consolatory story and focus on acquirin SKILL...dis is for both 1st class nd lower class grads

4 Likes

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by Drahl(m): 9:38pm On May 13, 2015
Bennyzino:

It's actually 0.01
Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by Nobody: 10:15pm On May 13, 2015
tanimola22:

I disagree with you. The growth of entrepreneurs in Nigeria these days was never experienced in the past in the same magnitude.

Even I that used the biggest critic of entrepreneurship and greatest defender of 9-5 hve found myself having a side gig. cheesy and visiting entreoprenuer.com everyday. cheesy
Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by Nobody: 10:20pm On May 13, 2015
adonismuller:
In summary you are encouraging people to go to school and get 3rd class because 2.1 nd 1st class don't mean anything?

U dey mind those people?
Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by Lilboots(m): 10:35pm On May 13, 2015
ok o

Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by jaydee87(m): 10:48pm On May 13, 2015
ziqqz:
Hm. 2.2 and Lower? That's bottom of the employment food chain na
It may be wiser to just go back to school and try again
If you fail and get another 2.2 or lower, combine it with the first one
That should add up quite nicely grin
really...
Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by Nobody: 10:50pm On May 13, 2015
jaydee87:
really...
no o not really it's nollywood
Re: 10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades by jaydee87(m): 10:52pm On May 13, 2015
1st class, 2nd class, 3 class and pass. wen its ur time to make the difference just try ur best ad forget ur grade cos grades Dont determine how good u are in the outside world/ lab our market

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Was Successful In The Owerri Diamond Bank Aptitude Test. / Is A 130k Job Including Tithing Be Considered A Good Job? / Police Recruitment 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.