Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,955 members, 7,806,766 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:02 PM

The Cul De Sac - Literature (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Cul De Sac (47475 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 9:31pm On Jun 25, 2015
FORTY SEVEN

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 9:35pm On Jun 25, 2015
‘’Yeah I remember we went through that session with your lawyer present. We wanted to ascertain how much you knew and probably hid from the police. We also wanted to find out if you were in the car when the unfortunate incident occurred. And if you were not present, we wanted to find out if your husband told you about what he did’’

‘’Okay and I explained everything to you people on that day. I was not in the car and my husband didn’t inform me about anything until after my arrest. In addition, I didn’t know about his dealing with Jesuorobo’’

Then Unique began to laugh. After a while, he cleared his throat and asked ‘’how could you lie with such a straight face doc?’’

Subsequently Pearl stood up and announced ‘’I think it’s time I called my lawyer. If I’m under arrest I’d like to know what for and if I’m not under arrest, then I don’t wish to have this conversation with you’’

‘’You know what, you are not under arrest and you don’t really have to talk to me. I can never get any meaningful thing from you anyway. From the word go, you and your husband have lied to me. You folks have told unnecessary lies that have shone the giant spotlight on you. And now you act like you don’t know – I’m not that dumb doc. I’ve just come to tell you that I know what truly happened. How you can allow him take the blame for your crime boggles me’’

‘’I got no idea what you are talking about’’ Pearl whispered.

‘’I’m just saying I got no real proof but I know you did it doctor. You drove that car and ran over that child on that night. You drove it YOURSELF and locked the gate YOURSELF. Jesuorobo saw you and I can bet my last penny your husband was sitting pretty when you walked through your front door. I got no CCTV to prove me right, I got no one to confirm nothing but I got my instinct plus one little thing you said’’

Then Pearl held her tummy with her hand and sat back on her chair ‘’humour me’’ she whispered.

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 9:37pm On Jun 25, 2015
?

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 9:40pm On Jun 25, 2015
On the day set for Imonitie’s bail hearing, Pearl was in court with members of her husband’s family. Ejemen had assured her it would be a walk in the park. She said it was all for formality sake and Imontie would be going home to await his trial. He was low risk to the society, it the first time he would be charged with anything. Besides it was not intentional killing and there was no reason for him to remain in jail.

However all that was to change once the state prosecutor began to talk. It went on for some minutes and Pearl though she would faint. He made out her husband to be a monster! Pearl didn’t understand all they said but once the judge announced bail had been denied, it sure made sense!

She stood up and stared in shock as her husband was led away then she began to howl. Immediately, Ejemen led her outside the court and cautioned her. It was like a dream and even Ejemen didn’t understand why bail was denied. She didn’t have the answers Pearl sought and at a point, she put her hand over her wig (to prevent it from falling) and hurried away once she saw the state prosecutor smiling out of court.

Pearl stared at Ejemen as she began to talk with her colleague. Ejemen seemed upset with the prosecutor but the man just continued to smile and wring his hands around like he was clueless.

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 9:41pm On Jun 25, 2015
?

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by OYAY(m): 10:06pm On Jun 25, 2015
Nawah oooo,this is traumatic for a pregnant woman with a little boy to add! This Unique must be a sadist,no wonder his GF decided to make his trip to Abuja a waste of time and money;as for Mummy Bukky I doubt if she will not die the way of her daughter. I really pity the Eboseles!!! Touch me there you have really done well with this story and tonites' updates. More ink to your pen and higher inspiration to your brain!
Re: The Cul De Sac by Pukka36(f): 10:10pm On Jun 25, 2015
Mama Osaro and Mama Bukky...Typical of Oba market womentongue

Mr Buwa is really playing hardsad

U can't blame Him shaundecided:...I feel sorry for The Eboseles.
Re: The Cul De Sac by Nmeri17: 8:05am On Jun 26, 2015
person just sidon for in domot, another person carry 500k come dash am wow....awon manna from above grin biko where can i find frenz like this?? sad
Re: The Cul De Sac by SULBELL(m): 2:01pm On Jun 26, 2015
touchmeder I must confess u'v witten one of the best fiction i'v read in recent times. At some point the story seems so real that i stated feeling emotionally bias towards some character. However in my own opinion, i dont think a character like Bukky will have the gut to take such kind of juice; people like that in real life may either be pathetic or depressed but neither have the courage nor wisdom to commit a sucide.
Iya bukky surely must be a mother from another planet, the scene of her daughter's death hmmm. No matter how cruel or wicked a mother can be when it comes to the child she begot, she surely will be moved when it comes to advercity regarding the child.
Iya Osare must have studied theater art as well as sociology, that is what they call cool money. easy and simple without stress and without labour, no mind mummy bukky jare, oya Mama Bukky go call police now, go call police. But Mama Osare if police come calling no call my name o grin cos u just sidon untop money u no no the source.
Kudos touchmeder, the story really touch me there smiley
Re: The Cul De Sac by Pukka36(f): 2:22pm On Jun 26, 2015
@SULBELL,it's actually fiction and not friction.

I think Bukky's death was too easytongue....U can't help but feel pity for Her because she lived all Her life in falsehood.
Re: The Cul De Sac by SULBELL(m): 3:09pm On Jun 26, 2015
Pukka36:
@SULBELL,it's actually fiction and not friction.

I think Bukky's death was too easytongue....U can't help but feel pity for Her because she lived all Her life in falsehood.

Thanks a million
Re: The Cul De Sac by OsoDupe(f): 4:28pm On Jun 26, 2015
Good one touchmeder, but u never wrote that Dr Pearl mentioned the polythene bag when the detective was questioning her for the first time, if she mentioned it, that would have proved she saw the girl that night, what she said was she didn't go out after work so how did the polythene bag surfaced in their discussion.
Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 10:21pm On Jun 26, 2015
@Sulbell, thanks for your comment.

@OsoDupe thanks for your comment. Please note that Unique was not referring to the first meeting with the Eboseles. He was referring to the meeting after Imonitie turned himself in to the police. That is the meeting where Ejemen was present with Pearl at the station (chapter 42).
In that interview Unique stated and I quote ''I just wanted to run through some questions with your client. Now that certain facts have come to light, we just want to make sure someone else was not involved. For example, it will be great to determine what Dr Ebosele knew or didn’t know’’

I didn't state the questions Unique asked or the answers Pearl gave. I did this on purpose. It was in this meeting Pearl mentioned the polythene bag while narrating what her husband told her about the case. I hope this helps. Thanks again.

2 Likes

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 10:24pm On Jun 26, 2015
?

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 10:25pm On Jun 26, 2015
There was nothing fanciful about the ceremony. In actual fact, she was not present when it was done. For Mama Bukky children buried their parents and not the other way round. In addition, everyone agreed it was best the girl was buried in Benin. The circumstances surrounding her death was too painful and shameful.

It was not like she had children or properties back at home. It was best to deal with the issue in her adopted land. A land she had grown up and grown to love. A land she had called her home and even played iyawo for 10 solid years.

Since that day, Mama Bukky had wondered whether she was not too hard on the girl. Perhaps she should have left her with Osazuwa even if she didn’t want a child. Immediately, she began to give reasons why she was in the right. Number one, would that be fair for Osazuwa? The poor man had been living a lie and just getting on with life like a robot.

Was it fair that a man should live the rest of his life like that? What if his sense suddenly shifted back into place? His children especially the son was strongly of the opinion that his dad was not in his right frame of mind. The young lawyer had never given up on his dad. What if he decided to go spiritual at some point? What if he discovered what was really wrong with that dad? That would have had devastating consequences for Bukky.

Would it not have been the same torture for Bukky at that point? What if Bukky was 55 years old at that point? Of course it would have even been worse for her. Anyhow mama Bukky examined the case; she still believed she had done the right thing for her child.

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 10:25pm On Jun 26, 2015
?

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 10:27pm On Jun 26, 2015
FORTY EIGHT

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 10:27pm On Jun 26, 2015
‘’Tani Ajani?’’ Mama Bukky asked. She squeezed her face like someone had just given her vinegar to drink.

‘’Ajaniiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Owolabi, the son of the mortuary attendant at the government hospital along…’’

‘’I beg hold it thereeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!’’Mama Bukky cried out. ‘’Who is Ajani on his own? Who is he when he stands on his own feet? Don’t sing the praises of his linage for me. We all know his father and what he does. Even then, it's not as if his father is doing something of honour!’’

‘’Oremi, mortuary attendant na work oh! If those people nor dey this life, na suffer we dey oh! Na sickness and disease go dey follow person oh. Anyway Ajani is not a small boy again oh. His father was able to help him secure a job at the local government council’’

‘’As a what nah?’’

‘’As a handyman’’ Titi replied.

Then Mama Bukky began to laugh ‘’handyman?'' she announced. ''You mean a Jack of all trades and master of none? You mean messenger or cleaner abi na the person when dey change bulb. Oremi, I beg nor use laugh finish me oh! Let me tell you, if there is hope for Lazarus after 3 days then there is hope for Fehintola Ojo. She is a pretty woman and if she is serious enough, she can leave those children for her mother and go to town. I was far older than her when I went to Benin and I know the sort of life I lived. Anyway what is my own inside? I don’t want her daughter sha''

''I also saw a boy of 15 but you said you don’t want boy''

''And that still stands. I can't deal with boys. I am not ready to die yet; teenage boys can be terrible at that age. Titi, I want a girl but I don’t want an 8 year old child. I don’t want to take care of anyone and be teaching them how to line their panties with sanitary pad. Those days are over. Titi, find me a young maiden’’

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 10:28pm On Jun 26, 2015
?

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 10:28pm On Jun 26, 2015
?

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 10:29pm On Jun 26, 2015
‘’Is she back at it?’’ Bimpe asked.

‘’Hah na question you ask me? She is cozying up with the baale now. That man with how many wives? Every Tom, D!ck and Harry knows that’’

‘’I had no idea’’ Bimple whispered. ‘’I am busy keeping my husband on a leash – Àshàké is back in town!’’

‘’My sister fear not; Àshàké has lost herself. She is dancing around the baale not knowing he is just baale for mouth – kobo e nor get! You know once a woman is jumping on a man and his wives are not doing anything then you should know such a man is spoilt meat. Àshàké is beyond redemption! I find it hard to even feel sorry for her. A woman who has lost her only child yet you don’t see it on her body. Has she stayed in this town for up to a month?’’

‘’For whereeeeeeeeeeeeee? She only returned about 3 weeks ago or so. By the way why are you acting like a stranger in this town? Would you say you didn’t know Àshàké adopted Bukola and gave the child her maiden name?’’

‘’Jesus Christ! Are you sure of what you are saying?’’

Haba! Is Badore her husband’s name? Badore is her father’s name nah abi have you forgotten so soon?’’

‘’No I don’t mean that. It’s the child that is surprising me. Is it not that same child she used to carry all around town in those days?’’

Then Bimpe laughed out loud and continued ‘’my dear, please keep it to yourself but I know things courtesy of my cousin Titi. Àshàké tie cloth for waist enter motor go Kano go meet her late sister. She spent close to 5 years there and by the time she came back, she brought that Bukola child that she called her own. Of course by that time her husband had ran away and married another woman. She spent another year or two here before hitching a ride to Bendel abi na Benin’’

‘’You don’t mean it’’

2 Likes

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 10:30pm On Jun 26, 2015
?

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by Nmeri17: 10:47pm On Jun 26, 2015
SULBELL:
in my own opinion, i dont think a character like Bukky will have the gut to take such kind of juice; people like that in real life may either be pathetic or depressed but neither have the courage nor wisdom to commit a sucide.
my point exactly. buet y'see, I cannot voice anymore comments opposite what the op says coz op thinks I'm fighting her cheesy in real life, that bukky's fiancé won't even do much better than her. he might be happier with healthy and lovely children, but broke as hell!!
Re: The Cul De Sac by gal10(f): 9:01am On Jun 27, 2015
See revelation of life!!!
Re: The Cul De Sac by Princecalm(m): 3:15pm On Jun 27, 2015
Nmeri17:
my point exactly. buet y'see, I cannot voice anymore comments opposite what the op says coz op thinks I'm fighting her cheesy in real life, that bukky's fiancé won't even do much better than her. he might be happier with healthy and lovely children, but broke as hell!!

are you saying a carpenter can't make it big?

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by Nmeri17: 7:49pm On Jun 27, 2015
Princecalm:

are you saying a carpenter can't make it big?
unless e dey visit Big Mommy wink
Re: The Cul De Sac by Princecalm(m): 7:55pm On Jun 27, 2015
Nmeri17:
unless e dey visit Big Mommy wink
so you big mummy is now bigger than God, wait and see till the end of the story and you will be forced to start thinking otherwise.
Re: The Cul De Sac by SULBELL(m): 7:44pm On Jun 28, 2015
Nmeri17:
Dont think Op's fighting u she seems to be apreciative of constructive criticism. U just need to voice ur observatn in a civilized manner. Moreover we are all entitle to our own opinion, plus anybody can be successful in what he or she has passion for; remember we are talking of a period well over 10years.
Re: The Cul De Sac by SULBELL(m): 8:03pm On Jun 28, 2015
@touchmeder, Incredible. U av been vindicated indeed, now i understands y bukky get such cold treatment. Just when i think d story is heading for the shore, it continues to dive into d deep ocean. Good one touchmeder, more ink to ur pen.
Re: The Cul De Sac by Nmeri17: 9:45pm On Jun 28, 2015
SULBELL:

Don't think Op's fighting u she seems to be *selective in being appreciative of constructive criticism. [s]U just need to voice ur observation in a civilized manner. [/s]Moreover we are all entitled to our own opinions, plus anybody can be successful in what he or she has passion for; remember we are talking of a period well over 10years.
*fixed o cheesy

do my comments come across as
a)uncivilized
b) primitive
c) underdeveloped
d) blue collar
e) uncouth

exam duration-----> 0 seconds kiss
good luck wink
Re: The Cul De Sac by SULBELL(m): 6:40am On Jun 29, 2015
Nmeri17:
*fixed o cheesy

do my comments come across as
a)uncivilized
b) primitive
c) underdeveloped
d) blue collar
e) uncouth

exam duration-----> 0 seconds kiss
good luck wink
0 second? Haba! Even google cant come up with d answer dt fast grin
Re: The Cul De Sac by may01(f): 8:27pm On Jun 29, 2015
Nice job, Touchmeder. More grease to your elbows

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (25) (Reply)

Selfless Desires / The Child Bride / Chimamanda Adichie's Make-Up Advert On London Billboard (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.