Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,852 members, 7,806,410 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:02 PM

The Cul De Sac - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Cul De Sac (47472 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Cul De Sac by jrhymez: 5:14pm On May 24, 2015
Following Bumper to Bumper
Re: The Cul De Sac by Adadinmaa(f): 5:19pm On May 24, 2015
So far so good, keep it coming. But that Nogie abi na mrs tripple N no dey tire sha. Generally d story Is gr8. I go dey follow till d end
Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 6:35pm On May 24, 2015
UjSizzle:
I like this Nogie character grin Serious busybody neighbor.

Nice story OP. I also like the Nkemdilim story on your blog (but your Igbo is terrible sha tongue)

LOL it's alright. I'm not Ibo. I blame google translate. tongue
Thanks for bringing it to my notice though. I need to call an Ibo speaking friend soon.

PS: any Bini reader following? Please don't fail to point out my error here as well.
Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 6:37pm On May 24, 2015
missterious:
Just like that, Nogie is my favourite character. grin
I feel like Prof Buwa didn't feel his daughter's death at all. Minutes after seeing her corpse, he's already playing detective? lipsrsealed
I missed Unique. smiley
Chichi is married now with a kid? Awesome. smiley
Ride on, touchmeder. Update everyday oh. tongue

Thanks dear. Its great to note readers who got the first part of the story. Makes me feel you completely get where i'm coming from.
Re: The Cul De Sac by Dahmum(f): 9:16pm On May 24, 2015
ah are u kidding me, where is d remaining part of d story.plsssssssssss.Weldon soo lovly.pls am stilll waiting.pwisssss (in a three year old gurl's voice)
Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 9:38pm On May 24, 2015
Then Nogie laughed; it was a funny kind of laughter. It was high pitched, prolonged and capable of breaking glass! Then she continued again ‘’oh you haven’t seen anything yet. Do you know all our names start with the letter N? Nosayaba, Nomagbon, Nicole, Nogie and my husband is Noel. He was born on Christmas day you know. So every Christmas, we have double celebration in this house’’

Then for the first time since the detectives stepped into her compound, Chichi began to laugh and Nogie joined in. Afterwards Nogie continued to explain ‘’I know its funny right but that’s how God wants it. By his grace, I will add another soon and her name will be Nora. Then I will rest from my job of procreation’’

‘’How do you know your next baby will be a girl?’’ Unique asked.

‘’Because God has revealed it to me already’’

Then Unique continued to laugh. He stretched out his hand for a handshake – it was time to keep it moving ‘’thank you for your time Mrs Noruwa. I have a good feeling I will be in touch; nothing extensive just a little bit here and there. In addition, I would like to solicit your help in solving this crime. Please keep your ears and eyes open for any new information. In particular, any neighbour that was out and about on the evening of August the 11th from about say 7pm. Any neighbour who drove his car or had a guest visiting with a car’’

Then Nogie lowered her voice and frowned ‘’if I hear anything, you will be the first person I’ll contact and you can take that to the bank. Would you like to leave your number with me or something?’’

Chichi gave her a card then Nogie smiled and asked ‘’would you like some more cake for the road?’’

‘’No thanks’’ they replied in unison.

Then she bade them farewell as they made their way out.

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 9:39pm On May 24, 2015
TEN

The second they were out of Nogie’s house, Chichi whispered fiercely ‘’what da hell!’’

‘’I swear if I were her husband, I’ll be bald by now. I’ll chew my hair off my bloody scalp! It’s no wonder he just happens to be a business man who travels a lot. I don’t blame him. I would fly to the moon if I were in his shoes!’’

As they spoke, they kept walking in the direction of the doctor’s house which was next door. It was the last property on the street. By the time they arrived at the gate, Unique pushed it inwards and it swung wide open ‘’careless’’ Chichi whispered.

‘’Tell me something I don’t know. One would think they would all lock their gate with what happened the other day’’

They arrived at the steps of the house and knocked. Then the peace of the good doctor and her husband would be destroyed.

The first thing they noticed right after they rang the bell was the patter of tiny feet. A little child no older than 5 years ran out and stared at them before running back inside the house. Then a beautiful woman in her early to mid thirties appeared. She wore a faded jeans and white T-shirt ‘’good day, how may I help you?’’ she asked.

Then Chichi spoke up ‘’good afternoon, it’s the police. We would love to speak to the occupants of the house’’

Immediately there was panic in the woman’s eyes but it was not unusual in these parts. The mention of the name police conjured a lot of emotions: fear, anger, panic, worry, rage, etc.

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 9:43pm On May 24, 2015
‘’Is there a problem?’’ the pretty lady enquired.

‘’No, not at all’’ Chichi replied. ‘’We are investigating the hit and run incident. We are just going around the neighbourhood and speaking to people. May I come in please?’’

‘’We were just about to head out but…’’

Then Unique cleared his throat and went for the kill ‘’I’m afraid we have to eat into your time. We have cause to believe the killer or killers reside within the neighborhood and we need to start eliminating people ASAP. We just spoke to your neighbour Mrs Noruwa. I can see you have a young child and I presume you’d want to have the beast that did this off your street’’

Immediately, Pearl froze but quickly recovered and began to act like a concerned mother and neighbour ‘’oh certainly, I’ll want the person caught. I’m just shocked someone living around would do that. Professor and Mrs Buwa are the kindest people you’d ever meet. Please come in’’ Pearl led the way into her house and continued to talk ‘’do you think it was done on purpose?’’ she asked.

‘’We don’t know yet’’ Unique replied.

‘’Jesus Christ! That would be devastating. Who on earth would want to do a thing like that? Perhaps it was an accident; I don’t want to imagine we have brutes living in our midst’’

‘’If you don’t mind me asking, how many people live in this house?’’ Unique asked.

‘’Just three of us; my son myself and my husband. Wait let me call him’’ then Pearl began to yell ‘’darlinggggggggggggggggggg! Lord have mercy! Dear, the police are here! Ose, please call your daddy’

Then the little child ran off again ‘’would you like to tell me about your whereabouts on the 11 of August’’ Unique continued. He was the one in charge of the questioning and as he spoke, he made notes while Chichi looked around the modest house.

‘’Yes, yes, I came from work that day. I picked my son from his school and we came in by the normal time 5pm’’

Suddenly Unique frowned at his jotter ‘’sorry how rude of me, I know you as the doctor but can I get your full name please?’’

‘’Oh it’s Dr Ebosele’’ Pearl replied.

Then Chichi smiled at her ‘’Esan wé khin?’’ Pearl smiled back but said nothing else. Still Chichi was excited. So far, something about the Buwa’s and Ebosele excited her. Pearl came from the same region as her husband while Prof was a lawyer just like her husband.

While they continued with the preliminary question and answer session, Chichi admired the young doctor. Pearl looked really classy and casual like a university chick. She must have been about 5’6 or 5’7. Her skin glowed but you wouldn’t describe her as light skinned. It looked like she took good care of herself and used some really expensive cream or perhaps it was just good genes. Chichi concluded Pearl had short hair because she was on feather braids that stopped at the start of her neck.

At some point, Chichi was so impressed she decided to get serious with her exercise and dieting. Right there on Dr Ebosele’s couch, she decided she would start her jogging and squatting again. Her son was old enough and she had stopped br.eastfeeding a long time ago. It was no longer fashionable to have kids and remain big! Suddenly, her daydreaming came to an abrupt end the moment Imonitie strolled in with his son.

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 9:48pm On May 24, 2015
Introductions were made and Imonitie sat down with his son by his side. He seemed at ease and was not as uptight as his wife. He was a handsome young man with a dimple on the chin. He was quite tall, muscular and dark with a well chiseled face. He seemed really concerned when Unique mentioned the perpetrator lived within the neighbourhood ‘’we must watch over these young ones’’ Imonitie replied. He held his son in a protective manner and frowned.

Then Unique continued, ‘’every good parent should be worried you know but I must add we are on top of the situation. So I was wondering if you can continue from where we stopped Dr Ebosele. I mean your movement that day‘’

‘’Well it was pretty random. That day, I took the bus to work then returned with my son in the evening. It was a normal day for us. It was not until the next day, we heard of the sad news’’ as Pearl spoke, she kept looking at her husband like she needed his approval or something. Anytime she looked at Imonitie, he would nod like he agreed with her and it was okay to continue.

The detectives noticed it and Unique felt it was slightly odd but for Chichi it was normal. Some married couples acted like that; hell she acted like that sometimes.

Unique watched them some more before throwing out the next question ‘’did any friend come visiting or did you step out after you came home?’’

‘’No’’ they replied in unison. They shook their head to further buttress their point and in that moment, they sounded and looked like twin robots on display.

‘’Do you think it was an outsider?’’Pearl asked.

‘’Well we don’t know yet’’ Unique replied. ‘’What about you sir? How did your day go?’’

Imonitie cleared this throat ‘’well pretty much straight like my wife. It was an uneventful day; I drove the car to work on that day. I dropped my son off at the school and got back as I usually do’’

‘’What time was that?’’

‘’Around 6pm maybe a little later, because I stopped to buy fuel at the station and that was it’’

‘’So perhaps you got home around half six or…’’

‘’I’ll say 6.20 or something like that. Much closer to the 6.15, 6.20 mark’’ Imonitie quickly replied.

Then Chichi asked the next question ‘’did you hear anything that evening? I mean any disturbance or something like that’’

The couple looked at each other and spoke at the same time ‘’no’’

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 9:49pm On May 24, 2015
Then Chichi frowned slightly ‘’really, you didn’t hear people gather around or anyone running down the street and yelling for help?’’

‘’I’m afraid not’’ Imonitie lied.

Then Pearl quickly added ‘’we put on the generator pretty much straight away didn’t we dear?’’ she looked at her husband again and Imonitie nodded in agreement ‘’yes we did. It wasn’t until the following morning, I heard the unfortunate tale. I didn’t even notice anything as I drove off to work. It was my wife who later called to tell me about it. Didn’t you dear?’’

‘’Yes I did. Nogie informed me about it the following morning’’

Then Unique stood up and Chichi followed suit ‘’please keep your eyes and ears open’’ he added. He handed a card to Imonitie and continued ‘’we are particularly interested in anyone driving or moving around by 7pm on the 11th. I’m not saying that person did something, but they may be able to help with the investigation. They may have seen or heard something. It is very essential you reach out to us if you hear anything’’

Suddenly a small voice spoke out ‘’I heard something that night’’

Everyone froze and looked in the direction of the young child who was still seated on the couch. Then Pearl rebuked him sharply

‘’Osemudiamen, you should not talk unless you are spoken to. Now get out of here!’’ she yelled.

‘’No, leave him’’ Chichi replied, ‘’darling, what did you hear?’’

‘’Osenobla, this child will not kill me!’’ Pearl moaned, ‘’he was sick on that day – down with a fever. He was shaking like a leaf in harmattan and acting delirious. What could he have heard?’’

‘’Let’s hear him out’’ Imonitie said. ‘’Son, help the police. What did you hear?’’

‘’One woman was crying and shouting that night. That is what I heard’’

‘’Where were you when you heard this?’’ Chichi asked.

‘’In my room’’ the child continued. He pointed in another direction and Unique nodded at him ‘’how old are you young man?’’

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 9:50pm On May 24, 2015
‘’5 years old’’

‘’Didn’t the generator disturb you?’’

Then Pearl shifted uncomfortably in her chair ‘’but we don’t have a generator’’ Ose finished.

‘’Is that all you heard young man?’’

‘’Yes’’

Then Unique nodded at the Ebosele’s ‘’thanks people’’

Immediately Imonite tried to repair the damage ‘’sorry about that erm… I mean the confusion. It’s just that we don’t want issues. We feel bad we couldn’t assist whoever was yelling that night and erm…’’

‘’We didn’t even know it was Mrs Buwa’’ Pearl added.

Then Unique nodded at them one last time ‘’that’s okay, I understand. We are Nigerians after all’’

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 9:53pm On May 24, 2015
The second they stepped out, Unique burst out ‘’what was the lie for?’’

‘’People like to extricate themselves from unpleasant situations. I don’t blame the Ebosele’s – no one likes police palaver in Nigeria’’

‘’I know but it’s either that or you are hiding something’’ Unique continued. For God sake even Mrs Noruwa heard the loud cries of Mrs Buwa…’’

Then Chichi hissed in annoyance ‘’that lady has no shame in her dictionary. The Eosele’s are decent people and when decent people don’t do the right thing like opening their door when a stranger cries for help, they feel ashamed. It’s not something you are proud of but someone like Nogie, feels no shame…’’

‘’And why should she feel shame? It’s a nasty thing alright but every right thinking Nigerian knows very few people would open their door in that circumstance. You’ll probably not open your door if you are home alone with your kid and nanny. I’ll bloody well open my door with my gun in hand. In any case, whatever choice we make, we should not be ashamed and we should speak the truth. End of the day, this is Nigeria and no one would crucify you for not stepping out at night. No one would flog you for not answering the cries of a woman when the power is out!’’

‘’Inspector Unique chillax, this is the Nigerian Police after all. We have a lot of wiping up to do. People will continue to lie and …’’

‘’Well, that’s their headache. They made a choice and I’ve made mine. This is my job and if you fuvcking lie to me in the course of my investigation, you hang a fuvcking red flag on your head. The Ebosele’s have just put themselves on my radar and you know what that means!’’

‘’Uhmnnnnnn!’’

‘’By the way, did you see what the husband was putting on the entire time?’’

‘’Yeah’’ Chichi continued, ‘’singlet and faded jogging pants’’

‘’Yeah right and that is the person that was just about to go out hun? Fuvcking lying police evading uncooperative smooth-talking thugs!’’

Then Chichi reached for Unique’s shoulder and began to laugh hysterically ‘’I don die for laugh ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Did Mrs Noruwa not tell you she was cooking beans? Did you perceive beans all the while we sat in her parlor? Unique, end of the day everybody lies to the police’’

Meanwhile behind a window, the Ebosele’s were staring at the pair ‘’do you think they noticed anything?’’ Pearl asked in fear.

‘’You were a bit stiff dear. It’s good to be relaxed in times like that. Didn’t you see how composed I was? Next time just try to be…’’

‘’God forbid there will ever be a next time. But do you think Ose’s answer is something we should be worried about?’’

‘’I don’t think so; take your mind off it. Can’t you see the way they are laughing like clowns? It’s nothing to worry about. People tell white lies all the time to police people in this country – no one wants their wahala. I bet more neighbours would deny hearing anything. As for Osemudiamen, I need to have a word with him’’

Then Pearl reached for her husband’s arm and touched it lightly ‘’we can’t be too hard on him because he said the truth. It is what is expected of decent people the world over’’

‘’You have a good point, that is why I will speak to him gently. He needs to understand, it’s rude to cut in while adults are speaking. I say it all the time and now you can see what that nearly cost us. Nevertheless, we must be thankful he said nothing about the plantain and medicine trip. It would have been far worse!’’

‘’He could not have said a thing’’ Pearl whispered, ‘’he was sleeping at that point’’

‘’I know but we also thought he was sleeping while that noise was being made. Apparently, he heard Mrs Buwa crying and banging on the gate’’

Then Pearl pulled the curtain together and whispered ‘’Osenobla, please have mercy on us’’

3 Likes

Re: The Cul De Sac by sparkleboy(m): 12:17am On May 25, 2015
Following seriously, I just feel sorry for Mrs Busari and the "unlucky" doctor.
Re: The Cul De Sac by drtwist(m): 1:07am On May 25, 2015
Nice story , front page all ready. But try to imploy more suspense follow bumper to bumper
Re: The Cul De Sac by Totino: 9:30am On May 25, 2015
The Eboseles...... Hmmmm! I bet Prof is going to drop d case or settle out of court as soon as he knew dat Dr (Mrs) Ebosele is responsible for d death of his only daughter!

Op, ride on. Thumb up!
Re: The Cul De Sac by wolewole200(m): 3:13pm On May 25, 2015
I need to make a confession here. This is a wonderful work of crime fiction and as a writer and author myself, I appreciate the twist and turns you have created here.

@Touchmeder, more ink to your pen and more wisdom for you.

Please, update as soon as possible, I don't mind reading till my battery goes flat.
Re: The Cul De Sac by Codyt(m): 3:55pm On May 25, 2015
My dear poster, this is marvelous. Please don't tell me there's no continuation!!!
Re: The Cul De Sac by chrisbaby24(m): 5:11pm On May 25, 2015
Nice one touchmeder...more ink to ur pen...
My beautiful oromankirisi babe...hope u have read d update....nice one from touchmeder
Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 6:39pm On May 25, 2015
ELEVEN

The house directly opposite the Ebosele’s was owned by the man Nogie referred to as a recluse – the same man with a mistress who drove his wife out! Like most houses along the street, this was a small flat. The surrounding was unkempt and the gate was quite low.

It was safe to say the owners of the property didn’t have gardening on their agenda. There was a poor attempt by someone to clear up, but it ended up being worse. It was as if someone cut the grass, gathered it, torched it then doused it with water before scattering it again! Another large pile of grass and shrubs were thrown to a corner but this one was still fresh.

Unlike the other houses, this one didn’t have a hedge in front so it was quite easy to see the front porch. It was even more annoying to see an individual on black and white smoking and staring back at them. Unless he was deaf, he had upgraded himself to ‘utterly disgusting’ in Unique’s dictionary.

Then as though Chichi could read his thoughts, she simply announced ‘’is that guy deaf or what? I can see him as clearly as day light. The id.iot is smoking his life away while pretending he can’t hear us’’

Suddenly Unique yelled out ‘’it’s the police; can you open the gate please?’’

The gentleman continued smoking; he didn’t move a muscle. Soon enough, a lady stepped out of the house and began to yell at him. She went on for over a minute and the boy continued smoking and staring into the distance. Then the lady gave a long hiss and headed towards the gate ‘’good day madam’’ Unique said, ‘’it’s the police. We are here to investigate the hit and run that happened in your neighbourhood the other week’’ he raised his badge and the woman opened the padlock with a frown.

‘’Please come in’’ she announced in an angry tone. As they moved closer to the house, they could see the young man puffing away. He eyed the trio and stretched out his legs some more.

Then the woman spoke up again ‘’I’ll get chairs, I think we should sit outside. We are having electrical problems and my husband is away to get the electrician. I am Mrs Okungbowa by the way...’’

Suddenly the chimney wearing black and white fellow spoke up ‘’erm no you’re not Mrs Okungbowa and my father is not your husband. You are Ms Badejo the Nursing Assistant/Sales Girl who became a mistress…’’

‘’You are a big fool!’’ the lady replied in a clear tone. As she spoke she nodded her head like she had just spoken the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

‘’You are the bigger fo.ol if you believe you will ever be called Mrs Okungbowa. You were having an affair with my father your then boss. Your callousness led to the untimely death of my mother. How many months after her death, you moved down here to claim Mrs Okungbowa. Unfortunately how long has it been? How many years, yet that title eludes you and it shall continue to be so in Jesus name’’ then the young man spat into the distance and continued to stare into space.

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 6:40pm On May 25, 2015
Then the lady looked at the detectives in horror. She had a shocked expression on her face and it was clear to see she was mortified by the young man’s accusation ‘’pardon me please. I am so sorry you have to witness this show of shame. As you can imagine, Jesuorobo is puffing on something stronger than tobacco! Perhaps you are the help he needs. You may need to take him to the station once you are done. I tell his father all the time – this child needs tough love. He needs to spend a day or two behind bars! He needs help…’’

‘’C’mon gerrout of hereeeeeeeeeeeeee!’’ Jesuorobo yelled at her, ‘’me and you who need help pass? You can never have peace in this house. My mother said it and I’m here to ensure it remains so. My mother’s sprit will continue to haunt you as long as you remain in this house. 10 years and counting, Mrs you can’t bear, children you can’t bear. My mother cursed you nah abi you nor know? You say you wan die for this house abi? Na me go drag your body commot…’’

Then the lady began to cry ‘’I shall not die but live in Jesus name. I shall live to testify of God’s goodness in the land of the living. You mock me because I am without child abi? Let God be the judge. May he repay you back in your own coin. Perhaps that is why you call yourself a lawyer but you are nothing but an artisan…’’

Then Jesuorobo threw his cigarette butt on the ground and began to laugh like a mad man ‘’at least artisan dey work nahhhhhhhhhhhh!’’ then he turned to the detectives and smiled at them ’’olopa nor be so? Bricklayer, plumber, tailor, panel beater get work wen dem dey go every day. At least I go the school, I repeat sha, I still repeat the law school but today, I’ve been called to the Nigerian Bar’’

‘’Shame on you!’’ Ms Badejo cried out, ‘’I doubt you are truly a lawyer. How many years did you spend at UNIBEN? How long did you spend at the Law School in Bwari? I doubt you are a real lawyer; one of these days you shall be caught for impersonating a lawyer!’’

‘’Gerraway!’’ Jesuorobo yelled, ‘’my name is on the roll and even your juju nor fit strike am commot!’’

Then Ms Badejo pointed a finger at him and continued to yell ‘’you call that place you go to work? I doubt you are even going to a chamber. I am sure you branch off somewhere every morning – you are an embarrassment to the legal profession. Keep deceiving yourself - you have no job’’

‘’Thank you very much Ms Badejo, at least I dey work dey manage my small money. You wetin you dey doooooooooooooooooo? You say you dey go Nursing School na for there you hook! You start part time for UNIBEN since 1900, you never still finish. You start travel agency but na only yourself be client. In short you nor fit help yourself. You say you dey do sales girl work from there you thief person husband. You nor see your life? You enter house, siddon, morning till night you nor dey do anything. Ms Badejo, you are getting old oh! Nor say I nor warn you oh!’’

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 6:41pm On May 25, 2015
All the while, Unique and Chichi were watching the mild drama. In times like this, it was good to hear people spill their guts! These were things they might not have known and here it was FOC (free of charge)

Emotions like this helped to make the police job easier. It could reveal if a person was worth chasing, it could reveal his motive or rule him out completely. Sometimes, it was good to get a little bit of these things. In about a minute or less, Unique decided he would press the pause on this one. As they watched the spectacle play out, a horn jolted them to reality. Immediately, Ms Badejo increased her wailing and Jesuorobo stood up and walked inside the house.

The horning continued and Ms Badejo proceeded to the gate with great difficulty. Some seconds later, an elderly man stepped out of the car and was comforting her. Another man (perhaps the electrician) walked past them with a brown leather bag ‘’Monday, please wait for me’’ the elderly man cried out.

By the time he arrived, he had a deep frown on his face ‘’I’m sorry officers, but I can’t be of much help’’ he said. ‘’My wife has told me about your request but I heard nothing that night’’

‘’Would you like to take a seat please – both of you’’ Unique requested.

‘’Its bad timing for me as you can imagine. My wife is pretty emotional as well…’’

‘’It will only take a minute or two’’ Chichi added.

Finally they sat down and the questions commenced. Mr Okungbowa was quite impatient and time and time again, he said he didn’t notice anything unusual. He had no visitors and he didn’t see or hear anything. He struggled to remember what he was doing on that day. It was Ms Badejo who reminded him the power was out ‘’what is unusual about that?’’ Mr Okungbowa replied in an exasperated tone, ‘’they take the light every blessed day’’

Then Ms Badejo reached for his arm lovingly and spoke in a calm voice ‘’a little child died on that day so it makes all the difference’’

Then Mr Okungbowa lost it ‘’I didn’t kill the little child. I know nothing and I saw nothing. I’ve said that a thousand times and I don’t know what more I can proffer. I have a son giving me grief, displaying his folly before strangers and causing his mother to weep! I have a stranger in my house working on an electrical fault. I don’t know this guy like that and we all know these people have light fingers. I have a gazillion things running through my mind and the last thing I need is to be interviewed!’’

3 Likes

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 6:44pm On May 25, 2015
Suddenly he got up and announced he was leaving then Unique asked another question ‘’Mr Okungbowa, I’m sorry for the inconvenience but one last question. Did anyone visit you that evening from 7pm?’’

Then Mr Okungbowa sighed deeply ‘’no and I believe I’ve answered that question already. Now officers I beg to take my leave before items start getting lost in my house’’ then he marched off without a farewell and this time around, Unique didn’t stop him.

‘’I’m sorry’’ Ms Badejo whispered, ‘’it’s been a crazy day. You saw it yourself and I’m afraid that’s all we know’’

Then Unique nodded his head and gave her the talk about keeping her eyes and ear open. He stressed the importance before asking to speak with Jesuorobo. Then Ms Badejo opened her mouth and in that instant, she sealed her fate with Unique Adeleke.

She began by shaking her head from side to side before vomiting her venom ‘’I don’t know if Jesuorobo would be of much help to you. I’m afraid that young man is doomed – you saw it yourself. I didn’t want to say it in my husband’s presence but perhaps you need to arrest him for smoking igbo! Surely there must be a law where smoking igbo falls under; perhaps constituting a nuisance or something. Jesuorobo needs all the help in the world yet his father denies him. My husband and I have done our best for the young man but it seems like a wasted effort. My consolation is I have tried for the boy since the day I entered this house’’

‘’Uhmnnnnn!’’ Chichi uttered.

Then Ms Badejo continued ‘’he said I killed the poor woman i.e. his mother – God rest her soul but it’s untrue. My only offense was agreeing to marry a widower. Anyway I’m going off point. All I’m trying to say is the boy needs help. I will call him but I don’t know how someone who is high can offer any help so…’’

Suddenly Unique lost his temper ‘’Ms Badejo, I would like to speak to Jesuorobo. I plead with you not to hinder this investigation. In addition, I’ve worked in the force for quite a number of years and my first stint was at narcotics. I know how igbo smells and I know how common tobacco smells’’

Ms Badejo got up and smiled at them ‘’I mean well my good officers. I stay at home all the time and like Paul Simon sang, I know what I know. That boy is methodical in all his ways. I have seen him split that cigarette open and dice it up like its cheese. I’ve seen him mix in stuff like it’s a mix and match at a supermarket. I’ve seen him…’’

Then Chichi rose up as well and gave it to her ‘’madam, we are not having this conversation – WE ARE DONE WITH YOU! I am kindly asking that you call out the young man. I will not like to repeat myself’’ then Chichi glared at Unique and asked ‘’where is the handcuff please?’’

‘’I believe you left it in the car. We didn’t anticipate trouble but I believe you may need to retrieve it just in case’’

Then Ms Badejo looked at them with fear in her eyes ‘’there is no need for that please’’ then she shrugged her shoulders and added ‘’very well then, I’ll get him for you’’

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 6:45pm On May 25, 2015
By the time Ms Bukola Badejo left, she had pushed her way through to Unique’s most annoying character on Obaretin Street! She had managed to beat the nosy Nogie, the chimney smoking fellow, the impatient Mr Okungbowa and the lying folks the Eboseles!

‘’That’s a modern day Jezebel for you right there’’ Unique whispered.

‘’She is a bit.ch that one!’’ Chichi whispered under her breath.

TWELVE

A minute or two later, Jesuorobo sauntered down the steps with a small bag behind his back ‘’gone for the remainder of the weekend’’ he announced. Bukkky made sure of that but it’s only a reprieve; I’ll be back on Monday after work’’

‘’I’m sorry to hear that’’ Unique said, ‘’anyway I was wondering if you can tell me what you know about your movement on the 11th of this month. It was the day the young child died and it was a Monday’’

‘’Ermm how do you mean?’’ Jesuorobo asked, ‘’it was a normal day for me. I went to work and came back as I usually do. I slept woke up and on my way to work the following day, I heard about the accident’’

Then Unique let out his favourite line that seemed to hook most neighbours ‘’we know someone in the neighbourhood was responsible for the act but that’s all we are letting out at this stage’’

Immediately Jesuorobo raised an eyebrow and whistled quietly ‘’wow! Someone is in trouble’’

‘’When did you get back from work that day?’’ Unique asked.

‘’Same time as I usually do; around 5.55 to 6pm. I’m usually indoors by 6pm sharp. I don’t go out much’’ then Chichi glared at his backpack and he backtracked ‘’well at least not during work days. I know I should be ashamed to say this but I don’t even drive for now’’

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 6:46pm On May 25, 2015
Then Unique raised an eyebrow at him and Jesuorobo yelled in a playful manner ‘’hey, I’m not lying ask my dad. I got nothing to hide here. Just make sure you don’t ask Bukky questions about me because the b.itch makes things up a lot. If you listen to her long enough, you’d start getting paranoid - she is that good. She does it to my dad all the time and then the old man begins to act like he is a looney. But it’s a lot better now since I’m around to check on her excesses. Anything to throw me out of my father’s house she is game. Fortunately, I play the same game as well. As a matter of fact, I play in the major league and I have a pretty good feeling I’ll win. I’ll throw her out before she throws me out!’’

At this stage, Unique was bored to death and he couldn’t wait to leave so he asked another question ‘’did any friends come visiting on that day? Not just your friends but your parents as well’’

‘’Mehnnnnnnn I got no friends in this city no more. All them guys are hustlers and I can’t really call them friends. So the answer to your question is no. No visitors on that day. Are we all done now because I’m going all the way to Sakponba area and it’s getting pretty late’’
Then Unique and Chichi stood up and Jesuorobo continued ‘’I believe you can drop me along the way as you’re leaving’’

‘’Unfortunately we are not done yet, so you’ll be better off on your own’’ Unique replied.

‘’Oh well good luck with your investigation’’ Jesuorobo added. Then he sauntered off without another word.

They were behind Jesuorobo as he strolled off then Chichi whispered ‘’he is a troubled young man – that one’’

‘’I see a rebellious young man with a lot of anger towards his father and the mistress who he believes is responsible for his mother’s death. Nevertheless, he is a good chap. The fact he was able to graduate speaks to his tenacity. I may not know much about his family problems but I believe his persistence will make him win the game’’

‘’What game?’’ Chichi asked.

‘’Oh weren’t you listening, he’ll kick that two faced woman out of his father’s house eventually. In other news, I don’t know about you but I think we need to call it quits today. I’m so tired and its getting late. If I interview another person, I’ll fall flat on my face and most importantly, I’ll miss out on the little clues’’

‘’Let’s go away then; we can finish another day. I’m tired too’’ Chichi admitted.

As they got into their car and drove away, someone was watching their every move from behind her lacy curtain. She watched with a stern gaze and her beautifully shaped natural nail clutched the curtain. The moment the pair drove off, she heaved a sigh of relief and stepped away from her curtain ‘’are they off now?’’ Imonitie asked.

‘’Yes’’ Pearl whispered, ‘’thank God’’

Meanwhile, Jesuorobo watched as the officers drove past in the grey Toyota Camry. He raised both hands up in surprise and swore at them ‘’fvcking twats! Thought they said they were not leaving now’’ then he continued on his way before muttering ‘’and that’s why I’ll never help you solve your case. You’ll never know what I saw’’

3 Likes

Re: The Cul De Sac by tijehi(f): 7:00pm On May 25, 2015
Oh boy, I freakingly love Jesurobo. His mouth bad pass naked electric wire wey get current.
Well crafted story.

2 Likes

Re: The Cul De Sac by tijehi(f): 7:03pm On May 25, 2015
Shuooo, I typed naked, my fone did serious semantic for me by changing my naked to unclad. D unclad sounds as of d electric wire pulled off its clothes. All these auto correct fones...ovasabi.
Re: The Cul De Sac by tijehi(f): 7:03pm On May 25, 2015
#naked)
I give up
Re: The Cul De Sac by oromankirisi(f): 7:17pm On May 25, 2015
Just got back will read it in a bit.. wink
Thank you..
chrisbaby24:
Nice one touchmeder...more ink to ur pen...
My beautiful oromankirisi babe...hope u have read d update....nice one from touchmeder
Re: The Cul De Sac by Codyt(m): 8:15pm On May 25, 2015
tijehi:
Shuooo, I typed naked, my fone did serious semantic for me by changing my naked to unclad. D unclad sounds as of d electric wire pulled off its clothes. All these auto correct fones...ovasabi.
Don't forget they are SMART PHONES Lol
Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 9:02pm On May 25, 2015
What did Jesuorobo see? What does he know or is he just bluffing?

We continue tomorrow...

2 Likes

Re: The Cul De Sac by OYAY(m): 1:51am On May 26, 2015
What a fiction story! Suspense and makes one spellbound,meet again later.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply)

Selfless Desires / The Child Bride / Chimamanda Adichie's Make-Up Advert On London Billboard (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.