Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,857 members, 7,806,423 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:24 PM

The Cul De Sac - Literature (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Cul De Sac (47473 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 10:56am On Jul 08, 2015
Then Mama Bukky pointed a finger at her and warned in a low tone ''I don’t want to ever hear you singing in my house again''

''Sorry ma''

''You sound awful; your voice can wake the dead and make weeping babies stop in shock. But don’t be happy about the weeping baby part because I don’t mean that in a good way''

''Sorry ma''

''Sorry for yourself. You don’t know what life is all about. I bring you here and give you what your mother can no longer offer yet you cry yourself to sleep every blessed night. If you are not crying, you are singing or planning on your next escape. Are you doomed or what? Is this the Deep South? Do I ask you to pick cotton and lash you while at it?''

''I don’t understand ma''

''How would you understand? Go to school you will not agree instead you want to sell fish. Look at you, 15 years in JSS 3! Where is the hope for you? Where is the hope for your generation in your village if every young girl wants to drop out of school? How can you raise your head in the future if you are nothing but a fishmonger? Don’t you aspire to greater things? Don’t you want to be somebody 'big' when you grow up?''

''No ma; I mean yes ma. I'm sorry ma''

''Keep your sorry to yourself! I'm fast losing patience with you and that slap I gave you the other day is a foretaste of what is to come. I am doing this for the sake of your mother and your mother alone. I will give you till the end of the month and if this rubbish persists, I will wash my hands off you. I'm not indebted to your mother as a matter of fact it is the other way round. In addition, we didn’t sign any contract that says I must help you forever or help you at all''

Then Mama Bukky dumped the goods on the floor and walked away from her uncompleted kitchen.

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 10:59am On Jul 08, 2015
?

2 Likes

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 11:00am On Jul 08, 2015
The young maiden a.k.a Comfort came from a neighbouring town about 30 minutes away. Three months earlier, she had dropped out of school due to the untimely death of her father. However, this suited the young girl just fine. Well not her father's death but the dropping out of school part. She had never loved school and had always spoken about trading at the market place.

She particularly loved the fish business and seeing the raw fish fresh from the river greatly excited her. She enjoyed the preparation process; the haggling with the fishermen by the river bank, the cleaning, the sorting, the smoking, the salting, the drying, stuffing the fish with carton, the selling and tying her money inside the corner of her wrapper.

Alas this sort of life infuriated her parents (especially her father) who wanted better things for their first daughter. Fortunately or unfortunately with the death of her father, Comfort was free to follow her heart desire. Besides trading her wares, Comfort was eager to start life off as a young wife but her parents vehemently refused. After the death of her father, nothing had changed and a certain Titi Ajibade had begun to make things worse in the young Comfort's life.

All of a sudden, Aunty Titi and Mama Comfort became close friends - way too close. They began to whisper about how Comfort could get back life as her late father had always envisaged. On one of those days, as the women discussed, Aunty Titi called out Comfort's name and looked at her like she was examining a piece of ripe fruit then she nodded her head and said it was well.

Immediately, Mama Comfort fell on her knees and began to weep in gratitude. Long after Titi had left, she continued to thank her creator. To Comfort, her mother's action was beyond disgusting and truly pitiful. It was not as if she was a burden to her mother per se. Her lover, Jide was more than willing to whisk her away but her mother was proving difficult. For Comfort, the thought of leaving her community and her sweetheart was traumatizing but it would only get worse.

By the following week, her mother informed her she would be leaving for Aunty Titi's hometown and her new benefactor would make something beautiful out of her life. That day Comfort wept herself to sleep. She didn’t want their definition of 'something beautiful' but her mother was adamant. The poor widow said she would never allow her daughter end her life when it had only just begun.

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 11:03am On Jul 08, 2015
?

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 11:04am On Jul 08, 2015
Unfortunately the 'beautiful' life at Mama Bukky's house was not for the young maiden. Comfort was beyond upset but she knew how to apologize and mask her true feeling. She was the true definition of a chameleon! In addition, she didn’t like the new town, its inhabitants, the house, her new school, the chores and her new madam! Everything about life with Mama Bukky reminded her she needed to be somewhere else.

Already she had run away twice but her mother had driven her back and the second time Aunty Titi brought her back, Mama Bukky had given her a sound slap. The slap rang past her ear and registered in her brain before travelling down to her feet. Then Comfort ran to her room and began to curse the day she was born.

If she thought she had seen the worse, she had not even begun. Some days later, one of the numerous men who visited her benefactor showed up but met her absence.

The man was a constant visitor at her benefactor's house but unlike other men, Ojo seemed to have more of a casual relationship with Mama Bukky. It was more of a platonic relationship where they discussed politics and happenings in their small town. And so on that day Ojo visited, Mama Bukky was away but he decided to wait.

As Ojo waited, he began to chat with Comfort but she was not in the mood. The young girl said little, she would nod her head to his questions, give him yes or no answers but the old man was not deterred. Somewhere along the line, he began to hit on Comfort! She ignored him and went to the kitchen to continue with her chores then something strange happened.

The stranger floated in to the kitchen like a ghost and grabbed her waist! Then Comfort picked up a large knife and waved it across his face before running out of the house in fright.

That evening, Mama Bukky met her crying outside the house on barefoot. Then the useless man strolled out of the house and began to give his side of the story. At some point, Mama Bukky hissed then pulled him by the arm ''ojare tell me something else'' she yelled. Then the pair walked into the house together and continued to converse like nothing was amiss.

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 11:05am On Jul 08, 2015
?

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 11:06am On Jul 08, 2015
''He was grabbing my waist and…''

''Are you a virgin?'' Mama Bukky shrieked.

Then Comfort stared at her madam in shock and began to cry. Mama Bukky stared back at her in pure disgust before screaming out ''what is the tears for? Is it the question that is making you cry? Are you a virgin and then you are crying? Did I beat you with a stick or is the question judging your conscience? Soro niyen? Are you not the same person that says she wants to marry?''

''Yes ma''

''Is that not the reason you ran away how many times? I'm asking you question and you are looking at me like Dundee. Are you saying that is the first man that would touch your waist in this life? Would you swear that man has not slept with you in this life? As the man is sleeping with you, is he giving you anything even chewing gum? Swear you are a virgin with this your rounded hips and let the earth open and swallow you whole! Omo ale jati jati. C'mon get out of my sight!''

Then Comfort ran away from her madam's presence and continued to weep in her uncompleted room.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Cul De Sac by Pukka36(f): 11:22am On Jul 08, 2015
Choiundecided
Re: The Cul De Sac by stonecoldcafe: 11:27am On Jul 08, 2015
Mama Bukky, you don carry this your behaviour go village abi? I weak for you nor be small. LOL
Re: The Cul De Sac by OYAY(m): 5:57pm On Jul 08, 2015
This mama Bukky will die ingloriously and I doubt if it won't be this comfort that will kill her out of frustration! As for the Okungbowa family I celebrate with them while looking forward to console the Buwas and rejoice with the Eboseles. And for our novelist you are awesome and thoughtful! Once again I say more ink to your pen and inspiration to your spirit!

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by OsoDupe(f): 8:23pm On Jul 08, 2015
Na poison Comfort go give mama Bukky last last.
Re: The Cul De Sac by labaski(f): 9:34pm On Jul 08, 2015
OsoDupe:
Na poison Comfort go give mama Bukky last last.
Re: The Cul De Sac by Tiffany1(f): 8:13pm On Jul 09, 2015
touchmeder:
Evening everyone.

@Mistytohcute, I am absolutely glad your kid brother is fine.
Plz ma, i started reading this story tonight, only to discover some parts av been removed and it's not on your blog either. pls ma, is there any way i can get to read the removed parts?
Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 10:19pm On Jul 09, 2015
FIFTY FIVE

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 10:20pm On Jul 09, 2015
She told Jide she had not seen her last period and since the start of that week, she had begun to feel weak on most mornings. At this stage, Jide was beyond frustrated and he advised her to be honest with her benefactor. Then he said he would be around to pick her on Sunday evening. At the end of that call, Jide did something he had not done in a long while - he wept.

Jide really liked Comfort and in their village, it was not unusual for people of their age to get married. The problem was his prospective mother-in-law wanted a lot more for her daughter. Comfort's father was not an educated man per se but he worked in the local government office which was located in Mama Bukky's hometown. He knew the importance of being educated and he wanted his children to attain such height even up to the university level.

But for now, that didn’t matter to Jide. He was worried about his fiancée. Comfort was getting desperate and he could hear the sound in her voice. It frustrated him that he could not do anything about her current situation. But as he rode back to their village, he began to think of different things he could do. He had to save Comfort. What sort of man would he be if he did nothing about it?

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 10:21pm On Jul 09, 2015
?

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 10:23pm On Jul 09, 2015
''To go and marry abi?''

''My mother said I won't marry now but I want to go home and…''

''Your mother can't take care of you so where do you want to go? Who will take care of you this stupid child? Are you using your head at all?''

''I just want to go home ma'' then Comfort began to sob quietly. She bowed her head low and the tears began to drop on the floor.

Mama Bukky stared at her and shook her head in pity before vomiting her venom ''o ma se o! The fly that refuses to heed warning is the one that accompanies the corpse to the grave. I am tired of trying to reason with you Comfort. If you want to go home then go but not until I get my loan back from your mother''

''Ehn? Sorry ma but I don’t understand''

''Why do you think your own mother is the one using her hand to chase you back every time you run home? Omo ale jati jati! You are a useless child if you feel life is so easy. Let me tell you there is no free lunch oh! Nothing is free in this life! Your mother is owing me big money''

Then Comfort placed her hands on her head and cried out ''mo dan ran! He he he! I am finished!''

''Listen, I don’t care what you do but you will work and pay me back my money. ₦45,000 is what I gave your mother and I want it back before you leave - all of it! You are free to stop school. As a matter of fact, with immediate effect you are no longer a student''

''Ma, I don’t have that money. Please…''

''Don’t beg me oh. You want to do business abi?''

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 10:23pm On Jul 09, 2015
?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 10:26pm On Jul 09, 2015
The following day Jide was waiting for her at the designated spot but he was disappointed by what he heard. Comfort continued to weep and Jide stared on helplessly. At some point, he broke down and stared into the distance as tears ran down his face. This time around, he could not control himself so he wept before his lover. Once he was done, he announced ''where is that kind of money coming from?''

''I don’t know oh''

''How much is it again?''

''₦45,000''

''It is plenty oh. We only have like that kain ₦25,000 and it is for our future''

''My mother has killed me!'' Comfort yelled.

''Is this why mama said we should not marry so she can use you to do loan?''

''I don’t know ohhhhhhhhhhh!'' Comfort yelled back in reply.

After a while Jide asked her if she had seen her period and Comfort said no. Then he sighed deeply and said he knew what to do. He promised to be back the following Thursday then he told Comfort to start telling people her madam said she would return home the following week.

''But I'm not going to school again'' Comfort cried.

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 10:26pm On Jul 09, 2015
?

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 10:27pm On Jul 09, 2015
The new week was a highly anticipated one for Comfort. She had apologized to Mama Bukky and continued going to school. In addition, she had become as docile as a lamb and her benefactor was greatly pleased. Comfort had always been a quiet girl yet a stubborn one however something new had occurred.

Mama Bukky noticed she had changed for the better after her profuse apology. The young lady began to tow the straight and narrow path and for the first time since she first arrived, Mama Bukky began to freely converse with her in Yoruba and even Pidgin English!

The air in the house became lighter, Mama Bukky cracked the occasional joke and Comfort laughed in return. Whenever Comfort laughed, she would cover her mouth with her hands like a shy school girl but her heart was as hard as stone. She wanted out of Mama Bukky's house like yesterday but she was acting the script as directed by her fiancé.

Meanwhile the new found relationship continued to blossom rather quickly and Mama Bukky asked questions about Comfort's fiancé. She listened as the young girl spoke glowingly about Jide and when she was done, Mama Bukky shook her head and gave her a piece of her mind ''don’t waste your time with such a boy. You think you are suffering now but that is not true. Wait until you join yourself with poverty personified and you will spend the rest of your life biting your fingers. If you are not careful, your children will continue to call you names and question the rationale behind your choice''

''Ma, you say?''

''Your children will blame you for dashing them poverty!''

''Olorun maje! God will not allow it ma''

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 10:28pm On Jul 09, 2015
?

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 10:29pm On Jul 09, 2015
On Wednesday afternoon, Ojo came around when Mama Bukky was absent. On that day he followed Comfort around as she did her chores. Then at the end, he smacked her bottom but this time around, the young girl said nothing. She didn’t yell at him, she didn’t move away, she didn’t glance at him, she didn’t smile at him, she didn’t encourage him, she said absolutely nothing.

She continued to scrub the bottom of a pot with an iron sponge. As she scrubbed vigorously, her supple body shook in return and Ojo continued to ogle at her. To the normal man, this was a simple action and it was not done to set anyone on edge but to a man steeped in lust, it was an invitation to treat. Ojo stared at her some more then he placed a hand on her waist before walking out of the kitchen quietly.

That day, the old man was ecstatic and when Mama Bukky got back. He told her about it then she replied in a low voice ''I told you she will come around didn’t I?''

''Yes you did but why the pretence?''

''Don’t mind the yeye girl; she is no spring chicken. She has being around the block a couple of times so it's only normal to play hard to get. Besides its good for you men so you know the worth of what you are chasing. Better soup na money kill am. My people say no good thing comes easy''

''She suffer me small sha''

''Don’t you worry; good things come to those who wait''

''She is a fine girl sha''

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 10:29pm On Jul 09, 2015
?

3 Likes

Re: The Cul De Sac by Princecalm(m): 10:30pm On Jul 09, 2015
so comfort is now pregnant, I thought Jide missed the penalty shoot out the last time they met.

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by Tiffany1(f): 11:07pm On Jul 09, 2015
Plz ma, i started reading this story tonight, only to discover some parts av been removed and it's not on your blog either. pls ma, is there any way i can get to read the removed parts?
Re: The Cul De Sac by Nmeri17: 11:20pm On Jul 09, 2015
Princecalm:
so comfort is now pregnant, I thought Jide missed the penalty shoot out the last time they met.
naaaah buddy.......e put am for seconn bar cheesy
Re: The Cul De Sac by Totino: 12:39am On Jul 10, 2015
Touchmeder, u've won to ursef a bronze medal...... I want to read ur (previous) art work(s), aw do I go abt it?
Re: The Cul De Sac by nanhilicious(f): 7:30pm On Jul 10, 2015
In this world, there are writers, but you are a Queen..... And a brilliant one at that. Keep up the good work.

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 9:43pm On Jul 10, 2015
FIFTY SIX

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 9:47pm On Jul 10, 2015
Then Comfort shrieked and jumped up in excitement but Jide held her by the shoulder and hushed her ''Shhhhhhhhhh! Don’t be too quick to rejoice because there is work in front. You must do it this weekend; if you can do it tomorrow better sef. I have planned everything and I will wait until it happens. Once you do it, call me and I will come and pick you sharp sharp''

''How will you do that?'' Comfort asked in fear.

''That is why I said it must be this weekend. I am staying with a friend but I can't stay pass weekend''

''Okay, then I will do it tomorrow. I am cooking fresh soup for the weekend - egusi soup. I will buy the things after school sef''

''Good and make sure you pack your things - everything''

Then the pair hugged and Comfort ran home without the sanitary pad.

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 9:48pm On Jul 10, 2015
?

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply)

Selfless Desires / The Child Bride / Chimamanda Adichie's Make-Up Advert On London Billboard (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.