Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,289 members, 7,780,656 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:53 PM

My Take On Asoebi - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / My Take On Asoebi (22742 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Take On Asoebi by Optimisticgondy(m): 6:47pm On May 14, 2015
@ cutelukz . The best method to stop buying Aso ebi is, you shouldn't pick any aso ebi when u have any ceremony (wedding, burial or birthday) . I've stopped buying aso ebi since last year and if anyone wants to get angry at me, I'll just tell them I don't like and that's why I didn't pick it during so so so ceremony.
Re: My Take On Asoebi by Nobody: 7:00pm On May 14, 2015
Optimisticgondy:
@ cutelukz . The best method to stop buying Aso ebi is, you shouldn't pick any aso ebi when u have any ceremony (wedding, burial or birthday) . I've stopped buying aso ebi since last year and if anyone wants to get angry at me, I'll just tell them I don't like and that's why I didn't pick it during so so so ceremony.

They have devised new means to combat that excuse
Now they present 4 or 5 different ones to pick from
Even here in the USA ,it is ridiculous
In some wedding virtually all the guests are in one asho ebi or another,different colors
I will just show up with an evening dress or a pair of flowing trousers and a dressy top
I hate head scarfs to begin with
I like to be free not balancing a helicopter on my head

2 Likes

Re: My Take On Asoebi by Optimisticgondy(m): 7:06pm On May 14, 2015
babyosisi:

In some wedding virtually all the guests are in one asho ebi or another,different colors
I will just show up with an evening dress or a pair of flowing trousers and a dressy top
Na wah o....well, most times, I tell them I don't like buying Aso Ebi or I tell them one relative or pastor told me neither to buy Aso Ebi nor pick it during my own ceremony again
Re: My Take On Asoebi by Nobody: 7:15pm On May 14, 2015
i still dont like the idea of forcing people to buy uniform aso ebi.
Re: My Take On Asoebi by Stillfire: 7:23pm On May 14, 2015
The only time I saw my mum wear a uniform was during some Igbo women meetings.
For weddings maybe the bride and her girls or immediate family just sew some uniform if they like for aesthetics sake. But to be pursuing guests to buy a uniform for wedding, thanksgiving, 1 day old baby ceremony grin is just weird to me. Sometimes in church, I just watch Igbo people and Yoruba people during their thanksgiving where the pastor has to pray for them. The Igbo ones would just were normal every-sunday clothes, the Yoruba ones, chineke God. grin The one ceremony that made me bow for Yoruba asoebi craze was where different aso-ebi was made for the thanksgiving service and party afterwards. The celebration was for a girl who turned 10. grin grin grin Both extended family and friends sewed the aso-ebi for both ceremonies. Omo, I bow that day.. grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: My Take On Asoebi by Setaje(f): 7:46pm On May 14, 2015
My friend is still fighting me since 2013 just because I refused to buy an ugly lace asoebi. Although I had promised her that I would buy lace. Only for me to see d lace. Very dull grey. Who uses dull grey for a wedding. I lied that I have something like that at home. Couldn't just cough out 15k for nothing.
Re: My Take On Asoebi by adorable29(f): 7:55pm On May 14, 2015
semitunde:
I don't support aso ebi, but playing devils advocate here. Some ppl make the aso ebi quite high and then tie it to entry so as to reduce the people coming to the number and class they want.

I've been to two weddings where the invite and gate pass were supplied with the aso ebi after payment. Without the gate pass you couldn't get in. The alternative was to call a high ranking member of the family or the event manager to let you in on personal recognition; else you'd be turned back by security.

What happened to invitation cards?
Re: My Take On Asoebi by semitunde: 8:06pm On May 14, 2015
adorable29:

What happened to invitation cards?

Sometimes its sent before the payment of the aso ebi (if you are a high level clientele, Lol).

The first wedding having this style, we were the event managers, so we didn't need a pass, we brought most of the vendors including private security. We made sure most of the important guys in each family were noted and we had their nos just in case a family member came without a pass. We also made sure there was one rep for each side of the family who when required would come and identify the person coming in.

In the second wedding we were family friend. We got all the package including the gifts before even the payment for the aso ebi. My sis being on the train also meant we had automatic passes.
Re: My Take On Asoebi by olu4life(m): 8:38pm On May 14, 2015
Loooool. Una no go kill person with laugh. Well as for me, I ask friends to send the pics of the ankara before saying my mind. And if the wedding is outside lagos, will simply buy thhe asoebi and certainly be in my house that day. I cannot come and kill myself. Funniest is they dont sell 3yards again, but atimes I force them to sell 3/4 yards cos what will I do wit 6yards And its not everry wedding u buy asoebi. Dazz all
Re: My Take On Asoebi by mhsanni(f): 8:42pm On May 14, 2015
Despite being a Yoruba lady, i really dislike the idea of asoebi.. I dont buy no matter whose wedding it is... Not evn my close friends or my cousins' weddings did i buy. My own wedding ceremony was a very big and successful event yet no asoebi. So they all know me for who I am and hardly tell me to cm and buy again. At most i wud help u wear your colour if i have in my wardrobe and if i dont wud wear wateva i have...
Re: My Take On Asoebi by sanandreas(m): 8:45pm On May 14, 2015
I dont buy the idea at all. I won't try such in my wedding
Re: My Take On Asoebi by Nobody: 8:51pm On May 14, 2015
I don't partake in that shit unless you are family which is still not a guarantee. I can buy the gele to tie to my bag's strap undecided
Re: My Take On Asoebi by DocAdray(f): 8:57pm On May 14, 2015
OP, you are so right! Asoebi craze is really taking a new dimension these days. I don't fancy it all...
Re: My Take On Asoebi by iamdapsyj(m): 9:24pm On May 14, 2015
komek:
@OP, no mind them. Me and u are same on that school of tot. Pple and follow follow.

That was how I bought one from a friend who wanted to get married at Ijebu ode. 10 days to the wedding he called me to give him back 2yrds out of the 6yrds I bought for 10k ,yet no refund. I travelled to Ijebu and lodged in a hotel. At the end of the whole thing I spent about 32k for a wedding that was not my own. Since then I promised never to try that shit again. Infact if wedding no dey close to my reach, I no dey attend sef. At the end of the day na wine opener them gv me as person wey buy asoebi.nonsense.

The 6yards part got me laughing, so you wanted to sow agbada abi.. .. .

1 Like

Re: My Take On Asoebi by komek(m): 9:41pm On May 14, 2015
iamdapsyj:

The 6yards part got me laughing, so you wanted to sow agbada abi.. .. .

Bros, I paid 10k for the 6yrds na. That ws how he sold his own o. I was thinking he was going to refund small money atleast for the 2 yrds, but for where?. Atleast if I had given that 2yrds to one of my fans, she wud have bEen very grateful.
Re: My Take On Asoebi by viyon02: 9:43pm On May 14, 2015
X3MLY:
My dear lemme gv u a piece of advice dat works for me...
1. Make up ur mind dat u will not market asoebi for ur own wedding.
2. Operate a strict policy of telling people that asoebi is not part of ur culture (if u r not from southwest)...hence u dont buy.

Trust me...it has worked and still works for me. Unless u r from the southwest!
I am from the southwest but dont really value asoebi infact would not include it in anything i do.
Re: My Take On Asoebi by hurpeyeahme(f): 10:23pm On May 14, 2015
This asoebi of a thing is the order of the day....

Could rem a friend of mine, after picking asoebi,selling @ exhurbetant price she still wanna choose style for us her friends. saying she wants her wedding pics to be fine, WTF!!! I quickly told her to say that to her event planner,make up artist n of course d photographer nt her friends.

1 Like

Re: My Take On Asoebi by omonnakoda: 11:28pm On May 14, 2015
Aso ebi literally means Family dress in other words do not buy from any person who is not your family.It was supposed to be a LEVY to assist with the cost of events like burials and weddings.I do not understand how a person who is not my ebi will ask me to buy aso ebi,I sometimes buy but only ankara and that is rare. I can buy the cap if the price is reasonable. I am more likely to buy for burial ceremonies because these are expected but unexpected so they need more support.

2 Likes

Re: My Take On Asoebi by Nobody: 1:18am On May 15, 2015
Stillfire:
The only time I saw my mum wear a uniform was during some Igbo women meetings.
For weddings maybe the bride and her girls or immediate family just sew some uniform if they like for aesthetics sake. But to be pursuing guests to buy a uniform for wedding, thanksgiving, 1 day old baby ceremony grin is just weird to me. Sometimes in church, I just watch Igbo people and Yoruba people during their thanksgiving where the pastor has to pray for them. The Igbo ones would just were normal every-sunday clothes, the Yoruba ones, chineke God. grin The one ceremony that made me bow for Yoruba asoebi craze was where different aso-ebi was made for the thanksgiving service and party afterwards. The celebration was for a girl who turned 10. grin grin grin Both extended family and friends sewed the aso-ebi for both ceremonies. Omo, I bow that day.. grin grin grin grin

It is a borrowed culture for Igbos
Women's church group and women's meeting are the only people that wore uniforms
Just reading here that Yoruba men also wear asho ebi
That one never reach igbo people side
My husband and I don't even have uniform
Not one
And many Igbo couples I know don't have husband and wife uniforms
Never saw my parents in uniform for one day
Re: My Take On Asoebi by Nobody: 1:18am On May 15, 2015
I'll ban asoebi at my wedding cry

1 Like

Re: My Take On Asoebi by Nobody: 1:19am On May 15, 2015
CFCfan:
I'll ban asoebi at my wedding cry

Please do
I hate them
I am planning on wearing jeans for your wedding
Re: My Take On Asoebi by Nobody: 1:25am On May 15, 2015
babyosisi:

Please do
I hate them
I am planning on wearing jeans for your wedding
It's one of the unnecessary things that can make someone bankrupt. I'm not against people wearing native attire to social events, but requiring folks to wear a special uniform is absolute balderdash and bunkum.

You'd be one of the sexy mamas at the occasion cool

1 Like

Re: My Take On Asoebi by Nobody: 1:25am On May 15, 2015
mamadsquare:
One of the unforgettables happened last year, our ex-landlord informed me and hubby about the daughter's upcoming wedding. There were 2 variants of aso ebi, Ankara (2500+gele) and lace (10k+aso oke cap) for men and (12k+aso oke head tie for women). We opted for Ankara but the mother of the bride to be insisted on lace saying the Ankara was for the groom's friends. (Lie).
We bought the lace, package for men, 10k and half the one for women 6k, making 16k.
About 10 days later (still before the wedding), I was walking through a market and lo and behold, the same lace material. Curiosity got the better of me and I asked for the price, after negotiations, 3500! In my mind I was like yepaa.
I sha excused myself on the premise that I would come back for it.
So on my husband's own alone, they made at least 6k while my own would have been like 3.5k.

And this so called ex-landlord and wife are some of the most greedy, penny pinching and stingy people to ever walk the face of the earth.

On the day of the wedding, we scrambled for seat, ate almost tasteless food and were given souvenirs that would cost less than 1500, both of us together o!
And in their mind, they did society wedding. A wedding where guests were made to pay through their noses just to grace their occasion.

That same lace material at 3k, they will bring from naija with George wrapper and head ties and tell us it is $150 in America
Cheap Lace that will have strings of fabric coming out from the sides and bottoms
Re: My Take On Asoebi by Nobody: 1:27am On May 15, 2015
CFCfan:

It's one of the unnecessary things that can make someone bankrupt. I'm not against people wearing native attire to social events, but requiring folks to wear a special uniform is absolute balderdash and bunkum.

You'd be one of the sexy mamas at the occasion cool
E no dey me for mouth na
I will politely turn it down

I hope you have dumped that white girl and found a Nigerian girl
We can't be losing all our young eligible nigerian men to White girls
Re: My Take On Asoebi by Nobody: 1:44am On May 15, 2015
babyosisi:

E no dey me for mouth na
I will politely turn it down

I hope you have dumped that white girl and found a Nigerian girl
We can't be losing all our young eligible nigerian men to White girls
Lol. I was never dating a White lady. My gf is Black and Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: My Take On Asoebi by Niftyrules(m): 1:58am On May 15, 2015
There is this principle I've got. If am yet to pay my major bills, I don't go for any ASO-ebi. On a normal day, there is nothing bad in having it but I just can't explain when I have some expenses to cover. Abeg, ASO-ebi park well jare.
Re: My Take On Asoebi by Nobody: 2:23am On May 15, 2015
CFCfan:

Lol. I was never dating a White lady. My gf is Black and Nigerian.

We thank God then
I thought I heard kepu kepu some wia na o kwa zi gi na ndi ocha
Btw o the babe no na profile gi
O yi chara adanna nwa m
Re: My Take On Asoebi by Nobody: 2:58am On May 15, 2015
babyosisi:

We thank God then
I thought I heard ke pu kept some wia na o kwa zi gi na ndi ocha
Btw o the babe no na profile gi
O yi chara adanna nwa m
O the lady.
Re: My Take On Asoebi by Nobody: 3:01am On May 15, 2015
CFCfan:

O the lady.

Is that our nwunye
Re: My Take On Asoebi by Nobody: 3:21am On May 15, 2015
babyosisi:

I like to be free not balancing a helicopter on my head
Lol! @D bolded.
I thought every Nigerian woman likes that oo!
Re: My Take On Asoebi by Nobody: 3:48am On May 15, 2015
cutelukz:
Thanks for ur piece of advice.I really don't have a problem with people who sell. Like I said I have a problem with the outrageous amount. So I COULD sell on mine but surely not at a neck breaking price. I'm from the south south
quote author=X3MLY post=33716478]My dear lemme gv u a piece of advice dat works for me...
1. Make up ur mind dat u will not market asoebi for ur own wedding.
2. Operate a strict policy of telling people that asoebi is not part of ur culture (if u r not from southwest)...hence u dont buy.

Trust me...it has worked and still works for me. Unless u r from the southwest!
Who said women don't reason well? Only when they are poor and no maga.
Re: My Take On Asoebi by popson1st: 6:38am On May 15, 2015
Well said OP. Yoi are not stingy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Obiano's Aide Inducted Into The Prestigious Ozo Society Of Abagana Community / 4 Strange Cultural Practices Associated With Marriage In Nigeria / Alafin's Supernatural Power Over Other Oba's In Yorubaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.