Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,889 members, 7,802,863 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:54 PM

How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp (32188 Views)

"Slay Queens Slaying In Camp" - This Female Corper's Outfit Got People Talking / How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. / How NYSC Members Are Recruited For Prostitution In Minna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by peeparty(m): 8:59am On May 14, 2015
Read excerpts below:
“To all my fellow NYSC corp members around Nigeria, today, I witnessed how one of my colleagues, Adeyera Olubunmi (State code: NS/15A/0134)(Call-up no.: NYSC/NIJ/2015/061287) almost died due to maltreatment in Nasarawa state NYSC camp by security officials.

What happened this morning was that Bunmi Adeyera who is also Platoon 4 leader and was obviously sick went to the Camp clinic to collect some drugs to combat his ailment and was approaching the camp market to get food (since food was no longer available in the camp kitchen) in order to use his drugs when he was stopped by security operatives (Nigerian Police force and Man’O War) and was asked to go back into the camp hall for lectures.
How NYSC Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture At Camp
He tried explaining to them that he was sick and needed to take his drugs but they did not listen to him, rather he was told to start ‘frog-jumping’.Bunmi quietly explained to them that he might not be able to ‘frog-jump’ because of his health status.

The next thing I saw was that the security operatives (who were obviously Hausas, because they communicated fluently in Hausa language) told asked him if he was Hausa or Yoruba. When he told them he was Yoruba and he hails from Lagos state, they seized his NYSC identification tag and marched him straight to the ‘Guard room’ allegations of ‘being stubborn’ without giving him any chance of speaking in his own defense.

This place called Guard room is a bathroom located at the entrance gate of the Nasarawa Camp where soldiers urinate at all time and with no cross-ventilation.

We all watched them take the poor sick Corp member to the Guard Room, and was detained there going to three hours. The next thing I saw was people from the camp medical unit running towards the gate with stretcher in their hands.

Behold Bunmi had collapsed and fainted in the so-called guard room.
Even while the Red Cross team was trying to rescue the situation, the soldiers sent them back saying that all was pretence and that when he wakes up, he will return to the guard room.
The doctors battled for his life for about an hour before Bunmi Adeyera became conscious again and was later stabilized.

Every Corp member on Camp including NYSC officials know Bunmi to be easy-going, obedient and friend to all which is more reason he emerged the leader of Platoon 4.
The population of those who went to the clinic to check on him is one that I have never seen on camp although they wouldn’t allow us take pictures of this ugly incident

But my question is this why is it that we Corp members who have in good faith and humility come to serve our father land are being maltreated even to the extent of someone fainting. This should not continue. All these security agents should be careful in performing their duties and should remember that the pen is powerful than the sword…”

Bunmi Adeyera is a graduate of mass communication from The Nigerian Institute of Journalism, Ogba, Lagos state. All attempts to reach the Nasarawa state co-ordinator, Mrs. C.I Uba, proved abortive.

cc
lalasticlala

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by shakazuldadon: 9:00am On May 14, 2015
lipsrsealed

All of you Corp members that witnessed it are otondo. Unable no get mouth Abi una no go public university.

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by missKiffy(f): 9:07am On May 14, 2015
Quite sad, most of this security operatives, especially the Hausa ones, na go dem hear, dey no hear come. Thank God he survived. That's the most important thing

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by mimiy05: 9:09am On May 14, 2015
una no fit protest for that camp? what if he lost his life? The culprits should be locked up in the so called guard room for three days without food n water...nonsense! all those small small boys in man o war n police officers without any ranks be flexing muscles n using corpers to shine...arrant rubbish!

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Holywizard: 9:11am On May 14, 2015
NYSC shud be stopped but dey shud wait after i serve finish oooo

10 Likes

Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Ewizard(m): 9:34am On May 14, 2015
waste of tym...
Bleep ya dispatch cert..
entrepreneurs don't need ehm..

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by amokeme(f): 4:08pm On May 14, 2015
All this just to serve. And at the end of the month, they will pay you a miserable 19k cry thank God he is OK now.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Nobody: 6:45pm On May 14, 2015
peeparty:
Read excerpts below:
“To all my fellow NYSC corp members around Nigeria, today, I witnessed how one of my colleagues, Adeyera Olubunmi (State code: NS/15A/0134)(Call-up no.: NYSC/NIJ/2015/061287) almost died due to maltreatment in Nasarawa state NYSC camp by security officials.

What happened this morning was that Bunmi Adeyera who is also Platoon 4 leader and was obviously sick went to the Camp clinic to collect some drugs to combat his ailment and was approaching the camp market to get food (since food was no longer available in the camp kitchen) in order to use his drugs when he was stopped by security operatives (Nigerian Police force and Man’O War) and was asked to go back into the camp hall for lectures.
He tried explaining to them that he was sick and needed to take his drugs but they did not listen to him, rather he was told to start ‘frog-jumping’.Bunmi quietly explained to them that he might not be able to ‘frog-jump’ because of his health status.

The next thing I saw was that the security operatives (who were obviously Hausas, because they communicated fluently in Hausa language) told asked him if he was Hausa or Yoruba. When he told them he was Yoruba and he hails from Lagos state, they seized his NYSC identification tag and marched him straight to the ‘Guard room’ allegations of ‘being stubborn’ without giving him any chance of speaking in his own defense.

This place called Guard room is a bathroom located at the entrance gate of the Nasarawa Camp where soldiers urinate at all time and with no cross-ventilation.

We all watched them take the poor sick Corp member to the Guard Room, and was detained there going to three hours. The next thing I saw was people from the camp medical unit running towards the gate with stretcher in their hands.

Even while the Red Cross team was trying to rescue the situation, the soldiers sent them back saying that all was pretence and that when he wakes up, he will return to the guard room.
The doctors battled for his life for about an hour before Bunmi Adeyera became conscious again and was later stabilized.

Every Corp member on Camp including NYSC officials know Bunmi to be easy-going, obedient and friend to all which is more reason he emerged the leader of Platoon 4.
The population of those who went to the clinic to check on him is one that I have never seen on camp although they wouldn’t allow us take pictures of this ugly incident

But my question is this why is it that we Corp members who have in good faith and humility come to serve our father land are being maltreated even to the extent of someone fainting. This should not continue. All these security agents should be careful in performing their duties and should remember that the pen is powerful than the sword…”

Bunmi Adeyera is a graduate of mass communication from The Nigerian Institute of Journalism, Ogba, Lagos state. All attempts to reach the Nasarawa state co-ordinator, Mrs. C.I Uba, proved abortive.

cc
lalasticlala
One of my friends serving in rivers told me how soldiers maltreated them. please the government should do something about this
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Nobody: 7:14pm On May 14, 2015
hmmm
tnk god oo
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by meshacha1: 7:14pm On May 14, 2015
Thanks to God you know lost your life
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by okooloyun1(m): 7:16pm On May 14, 2015
Thank God he his okay
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by ayus7(m): 7:16pm On May 14, 2015
All in d name of service 2 country. D real pain comes when u r done nd u luk back just to discover dat its totally nt worth it. Sad!

4 Likes

Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by alberto2k(m): 7:16pm On May 14, 2015
Holywizard:
NYSC shud be stopped but dey shud wait after i serve finish oooo
undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by steppin: 7:17pm On May 14, 2015
Police is your friend.
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by kindnyce(m): 7:17pm On May 14, 2015
WHAT A PITY,BUTS ITS A SERVICE FOR FATHERLAND

BUT IN CONTRAST THAT FATHERLAND IS REALLY NOT WORTH DYING FOR

1 Like

Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by mrphysics(m): 7:17pm On May 14, 2015
stop nysc, Nigeria refused

1 Like

Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by efilefun(m): 7:18pm On May 14, 2015
Sometimes i wonder the usefulness of this trash, endangering human lives just cuz of a sick nation. Just imagine how the guy would have lost he's life and am pretty sure nothing would have been done... Only in nigeria will a graduate take orders from an illiterate "Man 'o' War"

8 Likes

Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by loomer: 7:19pm On May 14, 2015
Useless people, una no fit protest

1 Like

Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Nobody: 7:19pm On May 14, 2015
The same people that run away at the sight of Boko Haram.

7 Likes

Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by umarc19: 7:20pm On May 14, 2015
May God save us from these evil people.

Weak on war fronts, strong on civilians, SMH.
angry

5 Likes

Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Curvinus(m): 7:20pm On May 14, 2015
Heartless baboons.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by pascal2young(m): 7:20pm On May 14, 2015
Government has to do somthing about these soldiers in nysc camp...all these SHOW of POWER is uncalled for
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Okijajuju1(m): 7:21pm On May 14, 2015
Crazy story bro
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by royal231(m): 7:23pm On May 14, 2015
For nasarawa for nasarawa corper no dey rest....

Guy u no suffer joor.....been there..them even thief my phone after doing frog jump from 12am till 2:30 am in d morning...I no come nairaland make noise then ...I tackle them personally. ... but I complete my sleep for that guard room...

7 Likes

Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by kalufelix(m): 7:23pm On May 14, 2015
This Radio biafra 's on point **

3 Likes

Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Nobody: 7:23pm On May 14, 2015
ok first of all, i don't see how he almost lost his life here??

the actions taken by the security personnel were totally unacceptable, however this boy certainly did not act wit wisdom. the name of the game is survival. knowing that the security guys were refusing to buy his story why didn't he just return to the lecture hall to explain to the lecturer? and if the lecturer too refused to listen would it not have been better to wait a little in the lecture hall than to wait for three hours in the "guard room"?

you've got to think survival in a country like Nigeria

also i would think there should probably be something like a medical pass or so that would grant temporary exemptions to unwell individuals?

5 Likes

Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Nobody: 7:23pm On May 14, 2015
usess people.. that is why nysc should be scrapped.
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by tociano009(m): 7:24pm On May 14, 2015
Oh Boy stop telling story
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Lincoln275(m): 7:25pm On May 14, 2015
peeparty:
Read excerpts below:

cc
lalasticlala
i remember wen i was a corper, i remember awon eru iku mi , guy u fall all lagosians hand jooor , police for camp? dem no get mouf nah
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by colossus2: 7:27pm On May 14, 2015
Barbarians
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Alexisu: 7:28pm On May 14, 2015
Magaji Dan Yamusa camp. Keffi.

Was there 13A.

Get well platoon 4 leader

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Four Corpers Kidnapped On Their Way To Camp, Rescued In Rivers / Official Nysc 2018 Batch A Timetable Released / The Importance Of NYSC In The Labour Market?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.