Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,896 members, 7,806,619 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:13 PM

See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! (57654 Views)

How We Attained Academic Excellence - By 10 First Class Graduates (pics) / OAU Stops Automatic Employment For First Class Graduates / Covenant University’s First Class Graduates Dominate PRESSID (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! by farem: 6:24pm On May 14, 2015
Atinuke Adigun was one of the First Class graduates at the University of Lagos (UNILAG) convocation. This achievement may have stunned many who do not know her family history. She was only following in the footsteps of the father and brother. JOSEPH ESHANOKPE writes.

•Son, daughter follow dad’s footsteps

For members of Adiguns family in Osogbo Local Government Area of Osun State, academic excellence runs in their genes. About 31 years ago, the family head, Mr Supo Adigun, was the best graduating student in the Economics Department of former University of Ife, now Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) in Ile-Ife, Osun State. He made a First Class.

Last year, Adigun’s son, Olanrewaju, finished from the Computer Engineering Department of the University of Lagos (UNILAG) with a First Class. This year, Olanrewaju’s sister, Atinuke, 21, followed in their footsteps. She graduated with a First Class in Economics at UNILAG convocation about two weeks ago.

Atinuke was among the 10 First Class graduates in the Economics Department. Her Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) was 4.68.
At the convocation held at the Multipurpose Hall, Atinuke, along with other First Class graduates, received the school honour for excellence. She was also given a presidential handshake by the representative of President Goodluck Jonathan, Prof Jerry Gana, who chairs of the UNILAG Governing Council.

The Vice-Chancellor (VC), Prof Rahamon Bello, described the First Class graduates as the institution’s shining stars. Atinuke said she felt on top of the world by the discription.

She recalled her encounter with the VC: “It was nice; it was the first time I would meet the VC. This makes me happy that my achievements could take me far. Hearing those words of encouragement from the head of the school, I was touched and felt on top of the world.”
The feat, Atinuke said, is humbling. Her inspiration, she said, is her father, adding that her journey to academic excellence started in 2010 when she was admitted into the university. She was 16 and the only thing she could hope for was excellence.

“I prayed to God to give me the grace to finish on top of my class. I worked towards it by studying hard for it,” she said.
But did she burn the proverbial midnight candle? “No,” she said, adding: “I made a First Class by prioritising my time for reading and other engagements. But I dedicated more time during the day for reading. I also attended professional seminars. They made me to be more focused and helped me in achieving my goals.”

For Atinuke, the feat was not easy to come by. She faced challenges like her colleagues, especially in final year when she was under pressure to complete her project and participate in class work. Besides, a newly-introduced course, Econometrics, was a tough subject she had to pass.
What is Atinuke’s plan after Bachelor’s degree? She said marriage is not on her cards for now, hoping to build a career in either academics or investment banking to take after her father, who recently retired from First Bank.

Mr Adigun, who is now in private practice, gave glory to God for his children’s feats. He said the achievement made him to remember his days at OAU, saying the blood of academic brilliance runs in the family.

His wife, Toyin, was all smiles during Atinuke’s graduation. She gave thanks to God, saying: “It is a thing of joy for me to turn out two graduates in succession and all of them made a First Class. I am so blessed. All glory be to God. Today is the best day of my life.”
Adigun’s former classmate in the secondary school and Manager of UNILAG branch of Ecobank, Tunji Jayeola, said: “We are proud of Adigun’s family. I am happy that Atinuke has repeated the father’s feat. She knew what she wanted and went for it. This also shows anyone can achieve his dream in life if he is focused and have the right attitude. This is what Atinuke’s achievement indicates.”

pix: Atinuke flanked by her parents and a family friend, Jayeola
http://thenationonlineng.net/new/a-family-of-first-class/

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! by ammyluv2002(f): 6:27pm On May 14, 2015
Oh boy! Hot family

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! by Tolexander: 6:33pm On May 14, 2015
what about their mum, what did she bag out or is she not part of the family?

The first class gene in the children is definitely paternal!

112 Likes 3 Shares

Re: See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! by cozy7(m): 6:37pm On May 14, 2015
Woow! What a bright family indeed...what of d mother, why is smiling like mama Peace? Watin she carry?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! by nerodenero: 6:55pm On May 14, 2015
Family of Excellence!

5 Likes

Re: See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! by nerodenero: 6:58pm On May 14, 2015
cozy7:
Woow! What a bright family indeed...what of d mother, why is smiling like mama Peace? Watin she carry?
If she had made first class, the report would have said so but she could not have been dull. That I am sure of.

32 Likes

Re: See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! by Fynestboi: 7:00pm On May 14, 2015
It ain't easy to be a student of oau.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! by Nobody: 7:46pm On May 14, 2015
good one.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! by Joshuadon: 7:56pm On May 14, 2015
It runs in the ßloodcheesy.

Meanwhile,they all had GOALS....

4 Likes

Re: See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! by Pheals(f): 8:03pm On May 14, 2015
Op it's record setting they never break any record note this since it's new
Re: See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! by Nobody: 8:13pm On May 14, 2015
Their mum bagged First class from last

3 Likes

Re: See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! by Princecalm(m): 9:07pm On May 14, 2015
Nice one but It is said that records are meant to be broken but if broken then it becomes a bad record.
Re: See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! by Nobody: 9:08pm On May 14, 2015
I'm not typing this to undermine their effort but what is the big deal na? undecided We are a family of first class in my house as well.
My dad made first class from the University of Port Harcourt, my mum made hers at University of Lagos, my elder sister made a first class at Covenant University and I made first class as well at University of Port Harcourt just like my father. cool
If not for that bastard Omo ale Jati Jati Kabiru that spoilt our record by making third class consecutively in two different schools, our long time record would have still been intact. angry

FriedPlantain

120 Likes 7 Shares

Re: See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! by techmart(m): 9:15pm On May 14, 2015
Nice one, but the op didn't mention the mothers' grade... Well, I think the academic-brilliance gene is definitely paternal, while the resemblance is from the mother.

1 Like

Re: See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! by amokeme(f): 9:43pm On May 14, 2015
Cool... And pls you guys should free the mother naw. Even if she didn't graduate with a first class, she gave birth to children who did undecided

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! by teebabsman(m): 9:46pm On May 14, 2015
happy for them
Re: See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! by lilmax(m): 9:57pm On May 14, 2015
Nice
Re: See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! by jazinogold(m): 10:35pm On May 14, 2015
c00l....
Re: See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! by LMAyedun(m): 10:43pm On May 14, 2015
techmart:
Nice one, but the op didn't mention the mothers' grade... Well, I think the academic-brilliance gene is definitely paternal, while the resemblance is from the mother.
You are wicked!

3 Likes

Re: See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! by sheba123(f): 11:30pm On May 14, 2015
wow, really nice. Thumbs up to their dad and mum

2 Likes

Re: See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! by Dan42(m): 11:36pm On May 14, 2015
Brains...
Re: See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! by samseen02(m): 11:37pm On May 14, 2015
Good for them. I also have a family friend like that
Re: See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! by BUSHHUNTER: 11:44pm On May 14, 2015
VANITY UPON VANITY

3 Likes

Re: See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! by omonnakoda: 11:46pm On May 14, 2015
FriedPlantain:
I'm not typing this to undermine their effort but what is the big deal na? undecided We are a family of first class in my house as well.
My dad made first class from the University of Port Harcourt, my mum made hers at University of Lagos, my elder sister made a first class at Covenant University and I made first class as well at University of Port Harcourt just like my father. cool
If not for that bastard Omo ale Jati Jati Kabiru that spoilt our record by making third class consecutively in two different schools, our long time record would have still been intact. angry

FriedPlantain
Yes ask your mother well about Kabiru

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! by Mujinho4b(m): 11:48pm On May 14, 2015
Oya Na.. cool
Re: See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! by tpiadotcom: 11:50pm On May 14, 2015
the father (or somebody) networks thoroughly, that is all!
Re: See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! by Bigdreams(m): 12:02am On May 15, 2015
Good feat!

Re: See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! by Barackmeringo: 1:56am On May 15, 2015
omonnakoda:
Yes ask your mother well about Kabiru

Lol.....I very well got your drift

2 Likes

Re: See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! by Tolexander: 4:38am On May 15, 2015
Fynestboi:
It ain't easy to be an oauites a great Ife.
stop making that mistake again bro!

3 Likes

Re: See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! by bankyblue(m): 5:03am On May 15, 2015
BUSHHUNTER:
VANITY UPON VANITY
MuMu
shocked

6 Likes

Re: See A Family Where All Of Them Are First Class Graduates! by Nobody: 6:10am On May 15, 2015
Now, this is not particularly hard to do is it?
The biggest ingredient here is upbringing and academic discipline.
Those kids must have had their father as mentor and role model with a feisty desire to succeed-Anyone who has that would make nothing less than a First Class.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Possible Questions From JAMB 2020 Sweet Sixteen Novel / Choose Your Best Subject Here And Someone Will Ask You A Question / Best Universities In Nigeria 2021 - Webometrics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.