Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,437 members, 7,808,568 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:33 PM

Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. (6972 Views)

Is It Good For A Husband And Wife To Have Separate Rooms At Home? / What A Husband Needs From A Wife Is Never Sex / Eniola Kashaam: They Said I Was Too Fat To Find A Husband But I Got The Best (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by omonnakoda: 6:34pm On May 14, 2015
This story has been fictionalized to hide identities but is essentially true of a couple in Nigeria

Mr A& Mrs A have been married for 6 years They have two kids aged 2 and 4 years . They are both professionals and studied exactly the same course at University .To climb the career ladder in their profession one needs to take several exams and courses which Mr A has been doing they decided that Mrs A would be a housewife full time and Mr A would work. Mr A earns about 1.5 million a year and they are quite comfortable. Mr A is building a duplex with a company loan and it should be finished later this year or early next year. They are from the same state and their extended families are not a burden.
There are some cracks emerging in the relationship mainly about money. Mr A drives a brand new car which was bought by his company. His wife's car is smaller and has no A/C recently her father died and she asked Mr A for a contribution.She hates asking her for money becuse he sometimes refuses or cuts down her requests. She is resentful that 3 years ago he splashed out heavily on on hi own father's burial ceremony. Also the house he is building is in his name even though she supervises all the work.She would prefer to work so she has her own money rather than ask Mr A for money. She insists she now wants to restart her career while he i adamant that she remain a housewife. She has demanded that in that case they should split his salary 50:50.
What do ya think?
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by Badgers14: 6:48pm On May 14, 2015
Relationship is about, understanding, compromise and Understanding. Regardless of how the salary is split, 80-20 ; 50- 50 that will not do.

The couple should go back to their drawing board and figure things out for themselves. But I do agree with the lady in the aspect of monthly allowance, but the word shouldnt be "spliting the husbands salary" . it sounds somewhat erhmm....... I dont know.

But the man was supposed to be giving his wife some monthly pocket money after he receives his salary, so she could buy what she needs, He shouldnt expect the wife to ask him for money for underwears, pure water, biscuit and ice cream . Also if the man was late from work or not at home and the family runs into some financial headache, the wife need to atleast take care of few things before the hubby gets home so she definitely deserve some pocket money. But am against using the word "splitting the salary".

all the best.

cheers!

3 Likes

Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by ammyluv2002(f): 6:57pm On May 14, 2015
70:30 since the money is just for her up keep! The man provides everything at home so why is she asking for 50 percent of the salary though staying at home isn't funny
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by Jackeeh(m): 6:59pm On May 14, 2015
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by sunnydayasaba(m): 7:14pm On May 14, 2015
Abeg Abeg let d man allow her work abeg, d children are grown up already...This kind of man can wake up tomorrow and decide to get another wife since he knows d wife is financial dependants..With what you wrote their, i can see cracks already in the way their finances are administered, The husband should never have waited for her to ask before he gives are certain part of his income every month.

This days, who builds a house with only his name when he's married and want peace in his house...Abeg Abeg, let d man make amends now before he ruins d peace in his house.

4 Likes

Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by VintageCocktail(m): 7:17pm On May 14, 2015
The woman should jump start her career cos the man seems selfish....What the heck. !!!!!!.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by Ewuro4: 7:38pm On May 14, 2015
Split wetin,a man that's always adamant to give money and builds a house in his own name excluding his wife's.. Salary?? Continue daydreaming you hear.

Woman, dust your transcripts and credentials and get your hands dirty. Stop waiting for another bodied human like yourself for your basic needs for crying out loud. Don't you have parents? And even if they're well to do, don't you think they deserved to be taken care of and monthly token from you?? You don't even have any savings to fall back on if the worse happens, do you?

Please put those cuties in school and get to work!

2 Likes

Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by Pheals(f): 7:39pm On May 14, 2015
@op leave people alone...Its doesn't matter if he does since it cost u not a coin

1 Like

Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by edwife(f): 7:47pm On May 14, 2015
She married a selfish and stingy man. undecided

She should get the hell out of that house and make her own money.....

Building the house in his name as in what? undecided he is even selfish towards his kids.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by Ewuro4: 7:49pm On May 14, 2015
^^ my dear the thing tire me oh.. Me sef I for don buld my own. No be Bricks , cement, water, iron and employees ? Shuo. No time for shakara abeg grin

1 Like

Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by Ewuro4: 7:52pm On May 14, 2015
I know a woman that built 3 three-storey house in her children's names (3 of them). The hubby built their home in his name too. What arrant nonsense.

No need to fight for yeye ownership.Just do what you do best and life goes on. wink

1 Like

Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by edwife(f): 7:58pm On May 14, 2015
Ewuro4:
^^ my dear the thing tire me oh.. Me sef I for don buld my own. No time for shakara abeg grin

I tell you,a family man with 2 kids will build a house and none of his immediate family member is on the document,which kind nonsense is this? undecided

I will simply follow the leader grin,work and build my own including my kids as the next of kin-shekina! cool
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by Ewuro4: 8:01pm On May 14, 2015
edwife:

I tell you,a family man with 2 kids will build a house and none of his immediate family member is on the document,which kind nonsense is this? undecided

I will simply follow the leader grin,work and build my own including my kids as the next of kin-shekina! cool

Hi Five with both hands jawe... Shake ya bootay grin

Nonsense and ingredients

1 Like

Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by edwife(f): 8:06pm On May 14, 2015
Ewuro4:

Nonsense and ingredients

gringringrin
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by irunoko(m): 8:13pm On May 14, 2015
Ewuro4:

Nonsense and ingredients

let me give you flavours song to back it grin

shake it shake it.krikakaka shake it grin
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by Ewuro4: 8:16pm On May 14, 2015
irunoko:
let me give you flavours song to back it grin

shake it shake it.krikakaka shake it grin

Oya komole grin grin

edwife:

gringringrin
grin grin
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by baralatie(m): 8:19pm On May 14, 2015
omonnakoda:
This story has been fictionalized to hide identities but is essentially true of a couple in Nigeria

Mr A& Mrs A have been married for 6 years They have two kids aged 2 and 4 years . They are both professionals and studied exactly the same course at University .To climb the career ladder in their profession one needs to take several exams and courses which Mr A has been doing they decided that Mrs A would be a housewife full time and Mr A would work. Mr A earns about 1.5 million a year and they are quite comfortable. Mr A is building a duplex with a company loan and it should be finished later this year or early next year. They are from the same state and their extended families are not a burden.
There are some cracks emerging in the relationship mainly about money. Mr A drives a brand new car which was bought by his company. His wife's car is smaller and has no A/C recently her father died and she asked Mr A for a contribution.She hates asking her for money becuse he sometimes refuses or cuts down her requests. She is resentful that 3 years ago he splashed out heavily on on hi own father's burial ceremony. Also the house he is building is in his name even though she supervises all the work.She would prefer to work so she has her own money rather than ask Mr A for money. She insists she now wants to restart her career while he i adamant that she remain a housewife. She has demanded that in that case they should split his salary 50:50.
What do ya think?
I see a big unnecessary bottleneck in this relationship as regards relationship,goals and future.
each relationship is built on hope and trust plus some bit of security.
let me talk of a particular person( names withheld).
they both have four kids.they professionals in different fields but the husband scratched and opened a coy made it big.
what did he do,he rewarded the wife with her own business(guiding her through the stages of successful management).made sure she gets a brand new car and bus every time she hits a milestone.
guess who had rest of mind about women wahaka!
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by Idowuogbo(f): 8:24pm On May 14, 2015
edwife:

Building the house in his name as in what? undecided he is even selfish towards his kids.
I tire! Cursed man! End time husband! God forbid! I will chew him and spit him out sharp sharp! angry angry angry
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by omonnakoda: 8:27pm On May 14, 2015
Any constructive suggestions?
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by edwife(f): 8:31pm On May 14, 2015
Idowuogbo:

I tire! Cursed man! End time husband! God forbid! I will chew him and spit him out sharp sharp! angry angry angry

It's ridiculous i tell you.. undecided
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by Ewuro4: 8:31pm On May 14, 2015
omonnakoda:

Okay.. undecided

edwife:

In other words.. The woman should get a job.
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by edwife(f): 8:35pm On May 14, 2015
omonnakoda:

I don't understand the kind of constructive suggestions you are expecting...

Splitting his salary will amount to nothing,it would be worst-because he will leave all the house responsibilities to her and by the end of the day,she won't have nothing left for her and her kids seeing that oga has no future plans for his kids. undecided

The more the merrier,let both work and make more money for the family.
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by edwife(f): 8:36pm On May 14, 2015
Ewuro4:

Okay.. undecided

In other words.. The woman should get a job.

It's 21st century that every gender can achieve their career goals.

Yes! She is a graduate for pete's sake!
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by Ewuro4: 8:42pm On May 14, 2015
edwife:

Yes! She is a graduate for pete's sake!

Don't mind OP jare.

Gotta swerve from this thread coz I'm starting to get e-angry sef... The mofo didn't even include his kids name in the papers. So he can throw them out anytime.

1 Like

Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by Nobody: 8:43pm On May 14, 2015
Well to start with, there us nothing wrong in a woman staying home to bring up good kids.

Secondly If a woman is staying home and forgetting about all her suffer to get a degree, the man should be very grateful. He should show his gratitude by treating his wife nicely. Try not to make her feel left out in d world especially if he has the means.

Thirdly there is nothing wrong wit giving your wife monthly stipends for her other needs apart from housekeeping. For crying out loud she has abandoned work to bring up her kids, also your kids.

Fourthly the woman should not make it difficult by making unnecessary demands ( 50:50 salary share) You can discuss with your husband lovingly and reach an agreement.

Fifthly the man in this story is clearly inconsiderate. Haba!! You shld make your wife feel important. Even if its 50k out of your one million every month am sure she wouldnt have started feeling frustrated.. or atleast some properties in her name will do.

Let me end by saying housekeeping is a whole lot of stress oooh
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by Ewuro4: 8:49pm On May 14, 2015
Ceeesaw:
Well to start with, there us nothing wrong in a woman staying home to bring up good kids.

h

Which ones are bad kids?? undecided
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by omonnakoda: 8:55pm On May 14, 2015
The issue borders on law and rights,culture and tradition , and perhaps religion and morality. It is also a question of self and family management.It is raises questions about marriage,what is it exactly and what is its purpose.
Let us take these issue one by one

Does the wife have a right to her husband's salary and if so how much right. We have established that they as a couple decided she should stay at home to raise the kids and therefore forego her career arguably she could be earning exactly what he is.
Does she have a right to the house under construction ?

Or should she be content with what the husband chooses to give her

Let us examine another example . we say our leaders should not be corrupt and live within their means,fine. So we have a president and a first lady. We say there is no constitutional role for first lady. So wha is she supposed to spend .Does she have a right to the President's salary assuming there is no corruption or stealing grin
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by Nobody: 9:09pm On May 14, 2015
Ewuro4:

Which ones are bad kids?? undecided

Well some women stay home and still end up neglecting their kids. That way they lack good upbringing and become "bad kids"
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by ifyalways(f): 9:20pm On May 14, 2015
She can still be a housewife with her own business, no?

There are some businesses one can " manage" successfully in this country even with zero biz acumen.

I don't think splitting hubby's salary 50:50 is a solution. She wants to earn her own money, hubby wants a housewife ««««He should set up a solid biz for her.
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by phabulous88(m): 9:26pm On May 14, 2015
Inasmuch as taking care of kids is a full time job, I'm don't think paying her salary is a good idea. What is the husband's belong to the wife and vice versa; and as such, she has rights to every penny he makes. It's selfish for the husband not to recognise the sacrifices she's making and reward her accordingly.
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by baby124: 10:07pm On May 14, 2015
Since he told her to stay home, he should be able to provide any conditions she asks for. Simple. If he can tell her to stay at home and she does, I don't think 50% is too much for her to ask for to feel secure. And please giving her a salary is not a bad thing if she is reasonable. That money may turn out to be emergency savings for you people and will help you manage your money better when you know that you are truly working to pay two people. If you know that you are not able to provide and adequately take care of your wife, do not ask her to stay at home. That is slavery and sheer wickedness. Except she is the lazy type. Cut your coat according to your size and build her up with encouragement at work or in school whatever she chooses. It can only benefit the both of you.

1 Like

Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by raumdeuter: 3:07am On May 15, 2015
The woman needs to sharp up immediately and get to work, If her husband demands she stay home then she needs to be paid

(1) (2) (Reply)

Man Caught His Best Friend And Wife In Bed, Took Nude Selfie With Them (Photos) / Distress Sale: 5 Bedroom Bungalow Apartment For Sale #6m(Negotiable) / What Do You Do When Your Spirit Is Low?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.